The United Kingdom and the Death of Boris Johnson as we know it.

CB Fry

SWF (Non Legally Binding) General Election  

193 members have voted

1. 1. SWF (Non Legally Binding) General Election

• Conservatives
    • Labour
    • Liberals
    • UKIP
    • Green
    • Brexit
    • Change UK
    • Other

8 minutes ago, whelk said:

Saw one of their mouthpiece MP going on about elites not waiting for council houses. Do they still do council houses?

Yes, but there is always the conflict between Councils building new stock and Right to Buy taking it from them, plus financial constraints imposed on them by Westminster around how they can fund such building. It is estimated that at least 40% of houses bought through RtB are now in the Private Rented sector.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

How much, per capita, is it going to cost to fly 6 people to Rwanda ?

Depends what class they sit in surely. 

initial cost of policy is £120m plus operational costs. 

The times have stated £12k per person (assuming this is the estimated operational cost). 

1 hour ago, Doctoroncall said:

Depends what class they sit in surely. 

initial cost of policy is £120m plus operational costs. 

The times have stated £12k per person (assuming this is the estimated operational cost). 

Having posted my question I then read that the cost of this first charter, to fly 6 men to Rwanda, is £500K.

5 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Having posted my question I then read that the cost of this first charter, to fly 6 men to Rwanda, is £500K.

Wouldn't be six people though would it?  I assume each refugee fight will require quite an entourage of government officials?

26 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Wouldn't be six people though would it?  I assume each refugee fight will require quite an entourage of government officials?

Presumably an email went around the office asking if anybody fancied an expenses paid jaunt to Africa.

Boris has now lost his 2nd ethics adviser after Lord Geidt tendered his resignation.

To paraphrase Lady Bracknell: To lose one ethics adviser may be regarded as a misfortune, to lose two looks like carelessness.

24 minutes ago, ecuk268 said:

Boris has now lost his 2nd ethics adviser after Lord Geidt tendered his resignation.

To paraphrase Lady Bracknell: To lose one ethics adviser may be regarded as a misfortune, to lose two looks like carelessness.

To be fair, it's the one job that wasn't needed at all with Boris.  He has zero ethics so didn't need one, let alone two ethics advisors!

It was depressing watching Question Time last night. There are still people supporting Johnson despite knowing that he is a congenital liar and is useless at his job. Why? Because apparently although he is a rule breaker “he gets things done.” That is the whole point. He and his grossly inept cabinet “get things done” in a way that appeals to the headline readers of the Mail and Express but as Cooper says, it is all gimmickry. Their “solutions” lead to further problems and chaos and are not proper solutions at all. The great Rwanda plan appeals to those who worship the Farages of this world, but is it preventing people trafficking? No. The “oven ready” Brexit deal is unravelling right before Johnson’s eyes. Why? Because he did a deal that he had no intention of sticking too and his supporters love him for it. European Court of Human Rights? Pah! What do they know about anything? Despite the fact that Churchill signed up to it and it involves British judges, what has it got to do with us? We have people with zero ethics who know better than some jumped up pinkos in Strasbourg. As Trump, Johnson, Johnson’s cabinet and Farage have shown us, there are plenty of votes to be had mining the lowest common denominators. Immigrants, welfare state spongers, lefties, Trade Unions. They are all enemies of the state and are fair game. The Tories are playing these cards for all they are worth at the moment. Johnson is a maverick but his lying and law breaking is perfectly ok because he is fighting the good fight against lowlife shysters, lefties and Johnny Foreigner.

What are we hearing now? Labour haven’t got any plans to do things better. Maybe because the clueless Tories pinch their policies (the latest being the shameless stealing and rebranding of the windfall tax).

I have seen Starmer skewer the Greased Piglet at virtually every PMs Questions. I have seen plenty of empassioned speeches like Coopers from the Labour ranks but apparently they are either doing nothing to hold the government to account or they are holding the country back by not supporting this inept gang of crooks.

Watch the Tories get annihilated in the by elections next week only to be followed by more drivel from Johnson about doubling down, blah blah blah, people trafficking, blah blah blah, levelling up, blah blah blah and his happy band of enablers will continue to make excuses for him and keep him in office fiddling away why the reputation of this country burns to the ground.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

14 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

It was depressing watching Question Time last night. There are still people supporting Johnson despite knowing that he is a congenital liar and is useless at his job. Why? Because apparently although he is a rule breaker “he gets things done.” That is the whole point. He and his grossly inept cabinet “get things done” in a way that appeals to the headline readers of the Mail and Express but as Cooper says, it is all gimmickry. Their “solutions” lead to further problems and chaos and are not proper solutions at all. The great Rwanda plan appeals to those who worship the Farages of this world, but is it preventing people trafficking? No. The “oven ready” Brexit deal is unravelling right before Johnson’s eyes. Why? Because he did a deal that he had no intention of sticking too and his supporters love him for it. European Court of Human Rights? Pah! What do they know about anything? Despite the fact that Churchill signed up to it and it involves British judges, what has it got to do with us? We have people with zero ethics who know better than some jumped up pinkos in Strasbourg. As Trump, Johnson, Johnson’s cabinet and Farage have shown us, there are plenty of votes to be had mining the lowest common denominators. Immigrants, welfare state spongers, lefties, Trade Unions. They are all enemies of the state and are fair game. The Tories are playing these cards for all they are worth at the moment. Johnson is a maverick but his lying and law breaking is perfectly ok because he is fighting the good fight against lowlife shysters, lefties and Johnny Foreigner.

What are we hearing now? Labour haven’t got any plans to do things better. Maybe because the clueless Tories pinch their policies (the latest being the shameless stealing and rebranding of the windfall tax).

I have seen Starmer skewer the Greased Piglet at virtually every PMs Questions. I have seen plenty of empassioned speeches like Coopers from the Labour ranks but apparently they are either doing nothing to hold the government to account or they are holding the country back by not supporting this inept gang of crooks.

Watch the Tories get annihilated in the by elections next week only to be followed by more drivel from Johnson about doubling down, blah blah blah, people trafficking, blah blah blah, levelling up, blah blah blah and his happy band of enablers will continue to make excuses for him and keep him in office fiddling away why the reputation of this country burns to the ground.

No contradiction there then :mcinnes:

9 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

You're missing the point of Queston Time then, perhaps unsurprisingly. 

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

To be fair, most sensible Tories I know think he's a cunt. Those defending him seem to be the weirdo Brexit Jihadis or the thick as fuck Red Wall types from what I've seen.

• Like 1

I'm a floating voter and have drifted between labour and conservative in the past depending on what I think they'll do for me.  I'm all too willing to vote labour if I think they'll make my life better so I'd like to know the following

how will they solve the nhs crisis? pumping more money in doesn't count as it doesn't work it needs reform, how will they do that?

how will they solve the care crisis?

how will they solve inflation and the cost of living crisis, taxing rich people doesn't count, more windfall taxes don't count as they're short term and can put off investment as businesses like structure, not the goalposts continuously moving.

what is their education policy, how can they improve it? it needs more than just money pumped in

what is their tax policy, will I be able to hand my house to my children, or will they lose it through tax?

how will they solve the migrant crisis, engaging with the french doesn't count as we have already tried that and they have weaponised it, we all know they could stop it overnight if they so wish.

In fact what is their immigration policy, how will they control it?

how will they solve the Northern Ireland issue?

how will they keep Scotland in the union?

are they going to lead us back in to the EU by the backdoor?

is the monarchy under threat under their stewardship?

are they going to increase military spending? what's their stance on Ukraine, Russia, Nato and trident?

what they going to do about women in sport and women only spaces, I want my wife and daughter kept safe from men deciding they might be a woman

They could attract me to voting for them if they I knew what their policies for even a few of the questions above, at this time I don't trust labour and I certainly don't trust starmer, maybe they should work on that instead of calling the prime minister obi wan kenobi.  As far as I can tell labour aren't for the working man, they seem to have an undercurrent of anti British and anti English sentiment.

You seem like a thoroughly nasty person with comments about greased piglet, but I guess in your bigoted world that's ok as he's posh and he's a tory, I did rise above the urge to call you names as it's counter productive.

Whilst I'm not a particularly big fan of Boris, I can see why he has appeal, labour should be able to see this and need to stop playing the man, they need the public to trust the labour party, which currently I don't.

The answer to any of this is not, what are the tories doing about it, they're in power, tell me how labour will win my vote.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Millbrook Saint said:

I'm a floating voter and have drifted between labour and conservative in the past depending on what I think they'll do for me.  I'm all too willing to vote labour if I think they'll make my life better so I'd like to know the following

how will they solve the nhs crisis? pumping more money in doesn't count as it doesn't work it needs reform, how will they do that?

how will they solve inflation and the cost of living crisis, taxing rich people doesn't count, more windfall taxes don't count as they're short term and can put off investment as businesses like structure, not the goalposts continuously moving.

what is their education policy, how can they improve it? it needs more than just money pumped in

what is their tax policy, will I be able to hand my house to my children, or will they lose it through tax?

how will they solve the migrant crisis, engaging with the french doesn't count as we have already tried that and they have weaponised it, we all know they could stop it overnight if they so wish.

are they going to increase military spending? what's their stance on Ukraine, Russia, Nato and trident?

what they going to do about women in sport and women only spaces, I want my wife and daughter kept safe from men deciding they might be a woman

They could attract me to voting for them if they I knew what their policies for even a few of the questions above, at this time I don't trust labour and I certainly don't trust starmer, maybe they should work on that instead of calling the prime minister obi wan kenobi.  As far as I can tell labour aren't for the working man, they seem to have an undercurrent of anti British and anti English sentiment.

You seem like a thoroughly nasty person with comments about greased piglet, but I guess in your bigoted world that's ok as he's posh and he's a tory, I did rise above the urge to call you names as it's counter productive.

Whilst I'm not a particularly big fan of Boris, I can see why he has appeal, labour should be able to see this and need to stop playing the man, they need the public to trust the labour party, which currently I don't.

The answer to any of this is not, what are the tories doing about it, they're in power, tell me how labour will win my vote.

A lot of your questions seem to involve things along the lines of how can you improve something without having to pay for it.  If you don't mind me saying, that's a typical Tory position.  Anyway, you now have the biggest tax burden this country has seen since the 70's and you're still seeing things get worse.  I'd say we've got to the position that frankly any party would probably be an improvement over the current lot but I suspect that ideologically you simply don't want to vote Labour even if the Tories under Johnson are a complete disaster.        

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Millbrook Saint said:

Ssdly you're asking all these questions to someone who finds it "depressing" that a TV show which describes itself as a "Topical debate in which guests from the worlds of politics and the media answer questions posed by members of the public." isn't full of people nodding along agreeing with each in to views which directly align with his own. 

6 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

A lot of your questions seem to involve things along the lines of how can you improve something without having to pay for it.  If you don't mind me saying, that's a typical Tory position.  Anyway, you now have the biggest tax burden this country has seen since the 70's and you're still seeing things get worse.  I'd say we've got to the position that frankly any party would probably be an improvement over the current lot but I suspect that ideologically you simply don't want to vote Labour even if the Tories under Johnson are a complete disaster.        

I've said before I've voted labour and I would again if I could trust them, I don't mind more money going in to improve things, but I want value for money, not the current shambles it is now, there needs to be reform, it's not my place to suggest what the reforms are, if perhaps the opposition could then maybe they'd win a few votes.  Your comment about any party probably being better is a typical labour viewpoint, vote for us, we're not the tories and Boris is a cunt and I'm sorry this view point does not win votes, things could easily get worse and at this point in time I feel labour would make my life worse.

45 minutes ago, Millbrook Saint said:

You can't vote for anyone yet mate, you will have to wait for the next GE when Labour will publish their manifesto.

Out of interest, why specifically don't you trust Starmer? I think it's fair to say he's a bit dull, and that he has been a bit thin on the ground with policies (I think he's playing the long game and just keeping his powder dry until the election), but he comes across as miles more trust-worthy than Bozo.

• Like 1

I know I can't vote yet, the problem is by then people will have made their minds up.

I feel he's too weak with the far left of his party.

He's already talked of replacing the royal family with an elected head of state, I like the institution of the royal family.

He was against Brexit and has talked of reversing it in the past, I feel whilst he may not reverse it, he'd have us in by the back door, just ask Anna McMorrin, so he doesn't believe in democracy then, how very trustworthy.

I dislike the hateful Angela Raynor, calling people tory scum

His opinion that some women can have penises, what's he talking about of course they can't, yet more lying to try and win votes

I disliked the way he was unpatriotic until he realised he had to be to win votes, lying right there just for votes

what about this curry business, apparently that was ok, personally I don't care either way, but comes across as ok for him but not for Boris

I know he's got a past with the hard left socialist solicitors organisation, don't know much about it, but has his views changed that much

and that's my 3

7 minutes ago, Millbrook Saint said:

what about this curry business, apparently that was ok,

Do we know what's happened with the police investigation into this? They seem to be taking a hell of a long time to investigate something that was so obviously not a crime.

3 minutes ago, trousers said:

Do we know what's happened with the police investigation into this? They seem to be taking a hell of a long time to investigate something that was so obviously not a crime.

Probably because of bi-elections coming up / and the local crime commissioner was apparently in attendance (with 6-30 others, depends on who you believe)

40 minutes ago, Millbrook Saint said:

I know I can't vote yet, the problem is by then people will have made their minds up.

He's already talked of replacing the royal family with an elected head of state, I like the institution of the royal family.

He was against Brexit and has talked of reversing it in the past, I feel whilst he may not reverse it, he'd have us in by the back door, just ask Anna McMorrin, so he doesn't believe in democracy then, how very trustworthy.

His opinion that some women can have penises, what's he talking about of course they can't, yet more lying to try and win votes

I disliked the way he was unpatriotic until he realised he had to be to win votes, lying right there just for votes

what about this curry business, apparently that was ok, personally I don't care either way, but comes across as ok for him but not for Boris

I know he's got a past with the hard left socialist solicitors organisation, don't know much about it, but has his views changed that much

and that's my 3

I might be going out on a limb here but I reckon you might have already made your mind up.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Millbrook Saint said:

and that's my 3

Well done. You’ve uncovered Starmer as a communist. Clever old floating voter

Mmmmm, there's not much floating going on there...

Anyway, Boris has gone to the Ukraine again, and I didn't even realise there was another impending no.10 crisis to be distracted from.

My money's on Truss going nuts and biting someone in a pub.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Millbrook Saint said:

You might think you float but the highlighted bits above nail your idealogical colours to the most.  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Are there people who vote because they think who they are voting for will make their life worse?

Some people vote because they want to make society better, even if it means they may pay a bit more tax. 

Edited by Plastic
  • Like 7

15 minutes ago, Plastic said:

Some people vote because they want to make society better, even if it means they may pay a bit more tax. 

That's a different answer to the question whether people vote to make their life worse.

Paying more tax doesn't necessarily mean they are voting to make their life worse, especially if said tax increases healthcare, public services etc.

55 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

Mmmmm, there's not much floating going on there...

Anyway, Boris has gone to the Ukraine again, and I didn't even realise there was another impending no.10 crisis to be distracted from.

My money's on Truss going nuts and biting someone in a pub.

No impending crisis but Johnson was due to address the Red Wall MP's at a conference today.  We know from the no confidence vote that most backbenchers don't like him and many of the Red Wall are likely to be out of a job after the next election. At least going to Ukraine to avoid meeting them sounds better than hiding in a fridge.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Millbrook Saint said:

and that's my 3

I know several people who support the far Left of Labour and they think that Starmer is being too tough on them. You can’t say he has given Corbyn an easy ride.

No matter what he thinks of the Royal family, he can’t do anything about them himself.

He has made his position clear about Brexit and has said several times that we need to make it work.

People have called Tories far worse things than “scum” but I agree that, an an MP, she should moderate her language. 

He made his position very clear on tv the other day “Of course women can’t have penises.” He also made it clear that some individuals have issues with gender and they need to be addressed sensitively.

The curry situation is nothing like the situation that Johnson is in and he has made it clear that he will resign if fined. Totally unlike Johnson who has been found guilty but clings on regardless.

I used to work for him and I have never known him to be unpatriotic. Not sure where you got that from?

He was a QC and defended people he believed to be innocent. Again, I don’t think that is something you need worry about given that the hard left of Labour would like to get rid of him for being too far the other way.

He may lack charisma but he is a decent person and I think, after the shambles of Johnson’s era, he will be what we need to repair the damage done. Let’s face it. He could hardly be any worse.

I think there is hope for you yet, but you will need to stay away from The Mail, Express, Telegraph and Sun if you want to keep a reasonable perspective.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I used to work for him and I have never known him to be unpatriotic. Not sure where you got that from?

Ah, was it you who 'walked on by' in the CPS as Jimmy Saville raped his way through the decades?

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Paying more tax doesn't necessarily mean they are voting to make their life worse, especially if said tax increases healthcare, public services etc.

No but some people think of society as a whole and not just their own back pocket.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Ah, was it you who 'walked on by' in the CPS as Jimmy Saville raped his way through the decades?

You’ve made some really crass and stupid comments on here over the years Delldays/Batman, but this one takes the biscuit. 

• Like 2

On 17/06/2022 at 19:09, AlexLaw76 said:

Maggie did a bit more than that. Do put more effort into your trolling Jamie, this is too easy. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/revealed-jimmy-savile-s-close-friendship-with-margaret-thatcher-8432351.html

Edited by saint1977
  • Like 2

Many people vote to improve the society in which they live because they believe that it will benefit them and their loved ones overall as well. Of course there are those who don’t give a stuff about anybody else so long as they are ok. They are called Tories. Then you get those who take it one step further and actively, deliberately vote for policies that make other people’s lives worse. They are called Facists. Fortunately these people are very easy to spot. At the moment you can find them all over social media supporting Priti Patel and her Rwanda policy. They also use terms like “Pinko” to denigrate anyone with a moral compass.

• Like 1

Many people vote to improve the society in which they live because they believe that it will benefit them and their loved ones overall as well. Of course there are those who don’t give a stuff about anybody else so long as they are ok. They are called Tories. Then you get those who take it one step further and actively, deliberately vote for policies that make other people’s lives worse. They are called Facists. Fortunately these people are very easy to spot. At the moment you can find them all over social media supporting Priti Patel and her Rwanda policy. They also use terms like “Pinko” to denigrate anyone with a moral compass.

What is your view on the EU/UN already moving people to Rwanda?

• Confused 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to The United Kingdom and the Death of Boris Johnson as we know it.