Watford v Saints match thread

Shroppie

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Did they? Most people I saw were worried about his injury record but no one doubted his class. That wasn't me by the way, I always wanted him. 

I do remember a thread with many moaning about him. That doesn’t sound like Saintsweb though does it?

Did they? Most people I saw were worried about his injury record but no one doubted his class. That wasn't me by the way, I always wanted him. 

In fairness quite a few were saying that (worried about injury record) but there was a group that were frothing at the mouth at how shit he was.

1 minute ago, OttawaSaint said:

KWP is quite clearly better than Valery. I wonder what they saw I training.

Valery always seems to struggle with the intensity and pressure of matches, could be that he shows his quality in training and it just doesn't translate. 

3 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

In fairness quite a few were saying that (worried about injury record) but there was a group that were frothing at the mouth at how shit he was.

I can only remember a few banging on about his injuries, did anyone ever really call him “shit”? Fucking brain dead if they did.

Just now, Saint_clark said:

Valery always seems to struggle with the intensity and pressure of matches, could be that he shows his quality in training and it just doesn't translate. 

1 minute ago, Barry the Badger said:

I think they’re just keen to give him opportunities given that he’s our player and potentially one for the future.

Both good points. Makes sense.

4 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Issues I recall were his injury record, and terms of the signing with an obligation to buy, even if he were crocked at the end of the season or underperformed.

2 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

This feels already like a better performance than against Norwich (who were just abysmal). Team working very hard all over the pitch.

Watford have a good past record of being well beaten by us but then equalizing at the death (Decoure hand ball, Austin goal disallowed, last season here etc.).

Hope we can stretch this lead soon.

3 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

This feels already like a better performance than against Norwich (who were just abysmal). Team working very hard all over the pitch.

Agreed. Norwich owed more to them being awful and this performance has been much better. Hope we can keep it up in the second half. 

2 minutes ago, Ohio Saint said:

Niggardly, boy, that was a close one but you still got the definition wrong. ;)

Surely it’s niggly, niggardly means something entirely different (not generous) and neither mean the n-word.

Edited by OttawaSaint

9 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Watford look rubbish. We look great! 

Familiar story though, first half dominance with a slender lead.

I think the last two trips to Viacarage Road have ended conceding last minute or late goals, includng Dacoure punching it in.

4 minutes ago, Badger said:

Familiar story though, first half dominance with a slender lead.

I think the last two trips to Viacarage Road have ended conceding last minute or late goals, includng Dacoure punching it in.

You're right I can't remember our last really good 90 minutes. It doesn't happen often. Lots to do second half. 

• Like 1

You're right I can't remember our last really good 90 minutes. It doesn't happen often. Lots to do second half. 

Second half I expect Watford will take to hoofing it into the box more,or switch Sarr to take KWP on. 

Either way, you wonder if we can go a full 90 minutes without an individual error no matter how crap the opposition are.

Just now, Badger said:

Second half I expect Watford will take to hoofing it into the box more,or switch Sarr to take KWP on. 

Either way, you wonder if we can go a full 90 minutes without an individual error no matter how crap the opposition are.

Only one hoof that Vestergaard misreads away from an equaliser.

3 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

McCarthy charges our Vest backpedaling...calamitous own goal. 

He actually put in a solid robust header there that went in the intended direction. Regardless he is an accident waiting to happen. 

Not bad at all. Saints really worth more than 1-0. Not too much fannying around in defence but there were a couple of daft free-kicks given away towards the end of the first half. Should polish them off 2nd half but this is Saints at Watford so expect a late goal for them.

Smallbone for that goal is almost identical to Hojbjerg before Arsenal’s first goal the other day. The difference? Smallbone was aware of what’s behind him, and his instinct was to turn into attack. Hojbjerg had no clue what was around him, bounced it right back first time, forcing us to go backwards and eventual cock up and concede. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Play Smallbone in every game now. I like the way he goes about things quietly, comfortable on the ball, doesn't panic, plays neat and accurate passes.

Yep. Just watching him again on that last attack. Much better body shape to receive the ball, turn and get it out to the wing quickly. Hoj is always facing away from goal and looking to go backwards, when he does go forwards he delays and misses his pass.