• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor
    • Disastrous

2 hours ago, spyinthesky said:

Current Squad?

1. McCarthy..........Forster,,,,,,,Gunn?
2. Walker Peters...Valery
3. Bertrand............Voakes
4. Romeu...............Diallo
5. Bedernak..........Stephens
6. Vestergaard......Salisu
7. Armstong.........Long
8. Adams..............Walcott
9. Ings...................Obefemi
10.Ward Prowse...Smallbone
11. Redmond........Djenepo

Arguably stronger than last year but possibly a bit light at Left Back. Attacking Midfield and possibly striker.
Would also like to see some more height in the side and left footed players but beggars can't be choosers!!

I'm pretty happy with left back. Vokins has performed well in his 2 senior starts. Not sure what else an academy player can do to be considered back up.

We've now got 5 strikers which seems fine. Ings very clearly a class apart and would be a loss if injured but so is Vardy at Leicester etc.

Right back is more of a concern. Can Valery show promise of his breakthrough season rather than the confidence drained player on view last season.

Equally cover for Armstrong a concern. 

I voted it a good window. Diallo/Salisu seem promising but who knows until we see them whether they are lemon flavoured, so that might change my perspective.

• Like 2

On the whole I'm pretty happy with the transfer window although much will depend on the performances of Salisu and Diallo. However, it could be a VERY difficult summer next year, if we continue to base our outgoings on our incomings. As a worst case scenario:

• Neither Bertrand or Romeu extend their contracts and leave. This means that we have to find replacements without generating any income from their sales
  • Lemina, Elyounoussi & Hoedt return after failed loans and indicate that they want to stay with Saints for the remainder of their contracts so that they can "fight for their place in the team".
  • Bednarek, Vestergaard & Stephens all enter the last year of their contracts and inform us that they won't sign extensions. We decide to sell 2 of them to generate income to replace them and Bertrand/Romeu. The sales are well below market price due to being in the last year of their contracts.
  • Vokins & Valery prove conclusively that they don't have premiership potential when filling in for KWP/Bertrand this season
  • Diallo struggles with the pace of the EPL. Salisu proves a good buy but is unsettled by a derisory bid from Tottenham of £1.5m. He goes on strike and demands a transfer. 
  • Shane Long & Frazer Forster indicate that they are happy to extend their contracts for another 3 years ..........

Obviously we all hope that a new owner is in place by then and will support additional investment, but there is no certainty.  While the above is a little tongue in cheek in places, it isn't completely unfeasible and does indicate some of the big issues stored up for next summer. It may still be another 2 years before we really have totally recovered from the mis management of the previous regime. 

PS I didn't want to make the worst case scenario to tempt fate by adding a line about our star striker doing his ACL in the last game of this season ..... 

4 hours ago, spyinthesky said:

Current Squad?

1. McCarthy..........Forster,,,,,,,Gunn?
2. Walker Peters...Valery
3. Bertrand............Voakes
4. Romeu...............Diallo
5. Bedernak..........Stephens
6. Vestergaard......Salisu
7. Armstong.........Long
8. Adams..............Walcott
9. Ings...................Obefemi
10.Ward Prowse...Smallbone
11. Redmond........Djenepo

Arguably stronger than last year but possibly a bit light at Left Back. Attacking Midfield and possibly striker.
Would also like to see some more height in the side and left footed players but beggars can't be choosers!!

I'm not sure that's  quite right.  I expect Walcott to be the back up for Armstrong and stephens/vestergaard and salisu/bednerek to be the choices at centre back (ball player and ball winner). Long is the back up for Adams IMO.

My concern is backup in centre mid.  I'm not sure smallbone has developed enough yet and one injury to either jwp,  romeu or diallo and we look in trouble. 

50 minutes ago, WALK DMC said:

On the whole I'm pretty happy with the transfer window although much will depend on the performances of Salisu and Diallo. However, it could be a VERY difficult summer next year, if we continue to base our outgoings on our incomings. As a worst case scenario:

• Neither Bertrand or Romeu extend their contracts and leave. This means that we have to find replacements without generating any income from their sales
  • Lemina, Elyounoussi & Hoedt return after failed loans and indicate that they want to stay with Saints for the remainder of their contracts so that they can "fight for their place in the team".
  • Bednarek, Vestergaard & Stephens all enter the last year of their contracts and inform us that they won't sign extensions. We decide to sell 2 of them to generate income to replace them and Bertrand/Romeu. The sales are well below market price due to being in the last year of their contracts.
  • Vokins & Valery prove conclusively that they don't have premiership potential when filling in for KWP/Bertrand this season
  • Diallo struggles with the pace of the EPL. Salisu proves a good buy but is unsettled by a derisory bid from Tottenham of £1.5m. He goes on strike and demands a transfer. 
  • Shane Long & Frazer Forster indicate that they are happy to extend their contracts for another 3 years ..........

Obviously we all hope that a new owner is in place by then and will support additional investment, but there is no certainty.  While the above is a little tongue in cheek in places, it isn't completely unfeasible and does indicate some of the big issues stored up for next summer. It may still be another 2 years before we really have totally recovered from the mis management of the previous regime. 

PS I didn't want to make the worst case scenario to tempt fate by adding a line about our star striker doing his ACL in the last game of this season ..... 

I can’t see 90% of that happening, even as a worst case scenario, and the stuff which is plausible wouldn’t really bother me.

Rom will be 30 and not really suited to Ralph’s style even if he has started the season quite well. Bertrand will be 32 and we’ve definitely seen his best years. If he chooses to leave, I won’t lose any sleep either. We can cope with Moi, Lemina and Hoedt, even if none of their loans do become permanent, or for some reason we’re unable to loan them out again. It’s having 7 or 8 unwanted players on big contracts which was the problem. I really don’t see why any of those three CBS would refuse to sign an extension. None of them are world beaters about to cash in at Man City.

1 hour ago, WALK DMC said:

Looking on the bright side pal.

• Haha 2

For me its an average window until we see how Diallo and Salisu perform - not just this season, but over the next three seasons. We did offload players, but only by writing off a chunk of money. Not sure you could say that was a success. Failing to find a suitor for Forster is gonna prove to be very expensive. The KWP for Hoj deal was a good one for us. Hoj was ver average indeed. KWP has been great so far and looks excellent on the ball. Whether his defensive frailties will be coached out of him I am not sure, but he gives his all and that's fine by me. Nice to see Theo back. Let's see what he can offer us before going overboard. Basically I am not going to go out on a limb, but at least we are moving closer to the point off having players on the books we actually want and play.

Very positive indeed. The squad is stronger, we've got some real expensive shite off the wage bill, and brought in Walcott, KWP, Salisu and Diallo in for a total of about £35m.  It puts the club in a way healthier position, and should be in a position next summer to start investing again, once we're properly rid of Hoedt, Lemina, Boufal, Elyounoussi and Carrillo.

1 hour ago, max_saints said:

Decent window. Slowly we are clearing out the deadwood that has hampered us the past few windows. Back to making smart and value transfers. Hopefully means we are back on an upward trajectory again after the puel/pellegrini/hughes dark period. 

Wouldn’t be so sure just yet.

Diallo/Salisu could easily flop.

I am just hoping these players are not on more than £40k.

Elyounoussi/Hoedt all etc being on £60k plus basically killed us and why we could never get rid of em anywhere 

Edited by nta786

Basically a very good transfer window, in my view. Exchanging the frustratingly unproductive Boufal for Walcott is a clear upgrade: to all the Walcott critics, you do have a point but even at his worst Theo offers so much more than Boufal ever did, and if he recaptures even 80% of his best form (not at all impossible at only 31), he';; be a terrific signing. To all those complaining thsat he can't score: 108 goals in under 400 games for Arsenal give you the lie: that is an outstanding return for a winger. If he gets even close to that rate for us, he'll be three times the player Boufal was, and that's not even mentioning assists.

KWP a clear upgrade at right back over what we had before, giving us solid Prem quality fullbacks on both sides, with promising backups.

Ultimately, the success of this window hinges on Salisu and Diallo: if they live up to their promise, it becomes an excellent window; if not, it becomes mere a so-so window. Let's be optimistic about them: at least we didn't overpay the way we did with the likes of Hoedt and Carillo!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WALK DMC said:

I thought Stephens has recently signed a five year contract?

So are current squad looks like this - I  see Theo as more of a striker or wide forward than a winger or No. 10 and I get the feeling we signed him more because we could than anything else:

• McCarthy / Forster /  Gunn / (Lewis)
  • KWP / Valery / (Ramsay)
  • Bednarek / Stephens
  • Vestergaard / Salisu
  • Bertrand / Vokins / (McQueen)
  • JWP / Smallbone
  • Romeu / Diallo / (Slattery)
  • Armstrong / Tella / (Sims) / (Hesketh)
  • Redmond / Djneppo
  • Adams / Walcott  / Obafemi
  • Ings / Long 

It still looks like a thin squad to me lacking any real depth.  Ideally we needed another centreback and another central midfielder and probably better cover at full back.  I was hoping for Marco Grujic on loan and a No 10/attacking midfielder on deadline day - not Walcott if I am honest.

I get that we don't have any money and Semmens and Co did an OK job given that - but that's about it.

One or two injuries or suspensions in the first 11 and we will be in trouble. 

To me it's been more of a sticking plaster transfer window  that hopefully will keep us in the game until next summer. When hopefully we can can get some money in for Lemina, Hoedt and Elyounoussi and maybe shift some the other players like Forster and Vestergaard - and actually start to move the squad forwards.

Romeu and Bertrand are out of contract next year - unless they sign new contracts - and we have done anything that suggests we really have a short to mid term succession plan for left back so that could become a problem.  We could also be forced to sell Bednarek and Ings as they will only have a year left on their contracts as well.  

I have a feeling we might see some movement in and out with the Championship and the Football League before the 15 October - probably Obafemi, Gunn, Sims, Hesketh going out. 

Unfortunately due to the money burnt on Carillo, Boufal, Hoedt and Elyounoussi  we need an owner that's going to put £30-40 million in to allow us to strengthen the squad.  Apart from Ings I don't really see any player(s) we can sell to generate serious transfer funds - and we can't afford to lose his goals. 

We are still on shaky foundations - and it could all go horribly wrong - but we could also finish mid table - and get the injection of much needed funds from new owners ahead of next summer - or maybe even january.

1 hour ago, Rebel said:

So are current squad looks like this - I  see Theo as more of a striker or wide forward than a winger or No. 10 and I get the feeling we signed him more because we could than anything else:

• McCarthy / Forster /  Gunn / (Lewis)
  • KWP / Valery / (Ramsay)
  • Bednarek / Stephens
  • Vestergaard / Salisu
  • Bertrand / Vokins / (McQueen)
  • JWP / Smallbone
  • Romeu / Diallo / (Slattery)
  • Armstrong / Tella / (Sims) / (Hesketh)
  • Redmond / Djneppo
  • Adams / Walcott  / Obafemi
  • Ings / Long 

It still looks like a thin squad to me lacking any real depth.  Ideally we needed another centreback and another central midfielder and probably better cover at full back.  I was hoping for Marco Grujic on loan and a No 10/attacking midfielder on deadline day - not Walcott if I am honest.

I get that we don't have any money and Semmens and Co did an OK job given that - but that's about it.

One or two injuries or suspensions in the first 11 and we will be in trouble. 

To me it's been more of a sticking plaster transfer window  that hopefully will keep us in the game until next summer. When hopefully we can can get some money in for Lemina, Hoedt and Elyounoussi and maybe shift some the other players like Forster and Vestergaard - and actually start to move the squad forwards.

Romeu and Bertrand are out of contract next year - unless they sign new contracts - and we have done anything that suggests we really have a short to mid term succession plan for left back so that could become a problem.  We could also be forced to sell Bednarek and Ings as they will only have a year left on their contracts as well.  

I have a feeling we might see some movement in and out with the Championship and the Football League before the 15 October - probably Obafemi, Gunn, Sims, Hesketh going out. 

Unfortunately due to the money burnt on Carillo, Boufal, Hoedt and Elyounoussi  we need an owner that's going to put £30-40 million in to allow us to strengthen the squad.  Apart from Ings I don't really see any player(s) we can sell to generate serious transfer funds - and we can't afford to lose his goals. 

We are still on shaky foundations - and it could all go horribly wrong - but we could also finish mid table - and get the injection of much needed funds from new owners ahead of next summer - or maybe even january.

Thanks @Rebel, you’ve saved me typing a long post! That’s effectively how I see it all word for word. However I do think we have a better position, incrementally, every season from the dark days of Pellegrino and Hughes, and a lot of that is to do with Ralph making use of his meagre resources. Ralph is everything to this club right now, Long May he reign.

It’s a 7 out of 10 window for me, so I went good. We brought in KWP to fill the difficult right back spot, knowing he was decent thanks to his loan spell, and strengthened CB with Salisu, who even without playing must be better than Danso, surely!?! Diallo comes in and fills the Hojbjerg spot too, but Romeu and Vestergaard have had decent performances in the last couple of games, so the bedding in of Diallo and Salisu is less urgent. I was worried that we would have no attacking signings but then comes Walcott, and while I’m not gushing over that signing, at least it adds some experience in forward areas.

I feel we could have done more in attacking areas, I think we are one AM short of a great squad, and for me the two year contract to Long was an odd decision (One or one and a ‘games played’ clause surely would have done). Also there are questions over the keeper situation (though our hands are tied with Forster) and full back cover. However we still have the EFL window. If we do good business there, I will bump the window up. Incidentally I think we did very well to get Carrillo and Boufal off the books permanently.

As per usual - blatantly stolen from another football forum

Arsenal - 7 - £76.3m - Soares (free), Mari (£7.2m), Willian (free), Gabriel (£22.6m), Ceballos (loan), Runarsson (£1.5m), Partey (£45m)
Aston Villa - 5 - £76m - Cash (£14m), Watkins (£28m), Martinez (£17m), Traore (£17m), Barkley (loan)
Brighton - 5 - £13.5m - Lallana (free), Veltman (£900k), Zeqiri (£3.6m), Moder (£6m), Karbownik (£3m)

Burnley - 2 - £1m - Norris (free), Stephens (£1m)
Chelsea - 7 - £208.4m - Ziyech (£33.4m), Werner (£45m), Chilwell (£45m), Sarr (free), Silva (free), Havertz (£63m), Mendy (£22m)
Crystal Palace - 3 - £16m - Ferguson (tribunal), Eze (£16m), Batshuayi (loan)
Everton - 5 - £78.7m - Allan (£21.7m), Rodriguez (£12m), Doucoure (£20m), Godfrey (£25m), Olsen (loan)

Fulham - 10 - £23m - Robinson (£2m), Reed (£8m), Lemina (£2m loan), Areola (loan), Tete (£3m), Aina (loan), Lookman (loan), Andersen (loan), Adarabioyo (£8m), Loftus-Cheek (loan)

Leeds - 7 - £94.5m - Costa (£16m), Meslier (£5m), Harrison (loan), Rodrigo (£27m), Koch (£11.5m), Llorente (£18m), Raphinha (£17m)
Leicester - 3 - £53.7m - Castagne (£21m), Under (£2.7m loan), Fofana (£30m)
Liverpool - 3 - £72.75m - Tsimikas (£11.75m), Thiago (£20m), Jota (£41m)
Man City - 4 - £134.2m - Moreno (£9m), Torres (£20.9m), Ake (£40m), Dias (£64.3m)
Man Utd - 5 - £63.6m - Ighalo (£6m loan), van de Beek (£35m), Telles (£13.6m), Cavani (free), Pellistri (£9m)
Newcastle - 5 - £35m - Gillespie (free), Hendrick (free), Wilson (£20m), Fraser (free), Lewis (£15m)
Sheffield Utd - 7 - £53m - Foderingham (free), Ramsdale (£18.5m), Bogle & Lowe (£11m combined), Ampadu (loan), Burke (swap), Brewster (£23.5m)
Southampton - 4 - £33.9m - Walker-Peters (£12m), Salisu (£10.9m), Diallo (£11m), Walcott (loan)
Tottenham - 6 - £59.4m - Hojbjerg (£15m), Hart (free), Doherty (£14.7m), Bale (loan), Reguilon (£27m), Vinicius (£2.7m loan)

West Brom - 8 - £22.9m - Pereira (£9m), Kipre (£900k), Diangana (£12m), Button (£1m), Robinson (swap), Ivanovic (free), Gallagher (loan), Krovinovic (loan)
West Ham - 2 - £19.5m - Soucek (£15m), Coufal (£4.5m)
Wolves - 7 - £74m - Sarkic (free), Silva (£35.6m), Marcal (£1.8m), Vitinha (loan), Hoever (£9m), Semedo (£27.6m), Ait-Nouri (loan)

Total Signings: 105

Total Spend: £1,209,350,000

spend.png

6 hours ago, WALK DMC said:

I actually think this may have been our most challenging window, yet we've come out of it by sheading a lot of our heavy dead wood and evolving the squad in certain positions with young players.

If all goes to plan, we will have new ownership by the time the next summer window comes around and we won't be going into a window with such a huge wage bill around our necks to start with.

I certainly don't think it will be anywhere near as bad as you are painting as a worst case.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WALK DMC said:

Crikey, hope you're ok mate!

I reckon Lemina and Hoedt will leave permanently next year, in the same way as Boufal and Carillo have this summer - probably glorified 'loan' deals where someone picks up there wages for the season and then they leave on a free. No-one in their right mind will pay a fee. Moi, if he has a good season at Celtic, may tempt someone stupid into buying him, or maybe he might come back into the fold?

I'm hopeful that Bertrand will sign a new contract - but if he doesn't, then so be it. He'll be 32 next summer and we need to be thinking about a replacement for him anyway - Vokins isn't the answer at this point.

Romeu, as much as he's a great pro and majority of fans have a soft spot for him, he doesn't really fit Ralph's style. Even in Ralph's post match after West Brom, he said that when the space is tight and he doesn't have to run too far, he is excellent... so admitting that he isn't as mobile as he would like.

One of the GK's I'm sure will be gone next summer - ideally both Gunn and Forster and we get a new one, but that's probably too far. 

I'm probably in the minority, but I wouldn't be sad if Bednarek left - I don't think he's that great tbh, I think his ability has been exaggerated because of the quality of our other defenders. And no-one seems to like Vestergaard, so maybe they'll both go in the next 2 windows.

If Ings and Bertrand sign new deals in the coming weeks, then this has been the best window for quite some time.