• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor
    • Disastrous

Just now, Saint Garrett said:

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2020-10-05/announcement-christoph-klarer-transfer-southampton-fortuna-dusseldorf

Klarer joined Fortuna Dusseldorf on a permanent deal...always thought he was earmarked for the future. Clearly not.

Yeah, bit of a surprise that he's gone. So, who does that leave as our first choice 'B Team' centre backs...?

3 minutes ago, trousers said:

Yeah, fair point. I don't step outside the house anymore because of all the accidents involving pedestrians that I've heard about.

I used to be like you. Then I realised all the accidents I heard about only ever happened to other people so I stopped worrying about it.

Personally, I think Walcott will offer us something different. He will certainly offer experienced cover and competition for all the forward positions. As a loan, with Everton paying half his wages, I don't see what's not to like. No doubt many of those bemoaning his signing are also those who have complained that our squad and bench is woefully short of experience in recent weeks. I also expect many of them were less than happy when we signed Ings.

Just for comparison: https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/topic/56219-danny-ings/

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Minsk said:

Personally, I think Walcott will offer us something different. He will certainly offer experienced cover and competition for all the forward positions. As a loan, with Everton paying half his wages, I don't see what's not to like. No doubt many of those bemoaning his signing are also those who have complained that our squad and bench is woefully short of experience in recent weeks. I also expect many of them were less than happy when we signed Ings.

Great find!  So sums up some of the so-called experts on this forum - haven’t got a clue!

Welcome aboard Theo!!

2 minutes ago, modern matron said:

Great find!  So sums up some of the so-called experts on this forum - haven’t got a clue!

Welcome aboard Theo!!

Very happy with my post on there: 

Christ right bunch of moaners on here and people reckon I'm overly negative! If we pay a small sum like ten million for ings I'd give him a chance, I think there's a good chance he would be better than many think. I reckon we will do better than last year and we have a better quality in the squad already so that's good enough for me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don't get the Walcott signing - he's nether a No 10 or winger/wideman that we need to provide cover for Armstrong.  He's more of a wide striker/forward that never really fulfilled his potential and is probably past his best.  And at $50K per week he's not cheap either.  

I see him more as cover for the forward role which suggests to me Obafemi is going to go somewhere on loan.  Maybe we are finally going to give Sims the chance to cover for Armstrong on the right. 

It's a nice story though I guess - Theo coming home. 

I was hoping for Marco Grujic on loan today to provide some real competition and cover in central midfield. Leaving Smallbone and Sims to provide cover for Armstrong.

Overall the transfer window - after what felt like a good start with Salisu and KWP - now feels more like a 'sticking plaster' trying to cover over some of the holes in our squad - and putting off resolving problems until next summer.  We haven't really added the depth we needed - one or two injuries and we will be in trouble. 

But I just don't think we have the money to do anything else - but I am not sure it will be any different next summer apart from the need to replace Bertrand and Romeu (and probably Bednarek) unless they sign new contracts. 

31 minutes ago, Minsk said:

There is another experienced head in the dressing room with Theo, which for a young squad is something Ralph may well have identified as a gap that needed filling. He will help Adams, Tella and Obafemi along too.

Theo is also a good counter-attacker in the Ralph style - He might not be the greatest in working back but I'm sure Ralph has a plan to address that.

Thhis could well be a smart signing

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Minsk said:

Some great reading in there. We do have some people rather quick to condemn without waiting to see how things pan out.

1 minute ago, Rebel said:

I don't get the Walcott signing - he's nether a No 10 or winger/wideman that we need to provide cover for Armstrong.  He's more of a wide striker/forward that never really fulfilled his potential and is probably past his best.  And at $50K per week he's not cheap either.  

I see him more as cover for the forward role which suggests to me Obafemi is going to go somewhere on loan.  Maybe we are finally going to give Sims the chance to cover for Armstrong on the right. 

It's a nice story though I guess - Theo coming home. 

I was hoping for Marco Grujic on loan today to provide some real competition and cover in central midfield. Leaving Smallbone and Sims to provide cover for Armstrong.

Overall the transfer window - after what felt like a good start with Salisu and KWP - now feels more like a 'sticking plaster' trying to cover over some of the holes in our squad - and putting off resolving problems until next summer.  We haven't really added the depth we needed - one or two injuries and we will be in trouble. 

But I just don't think we have the money to do anything else - but I am not sure it will be any different next summer apart from the need to replace Bertrand and Romeu (and probably Bednarek) unless they sign new contracts. 

What about Diallo?

Low risk signing with experience added to a young squad this is a good signing.

added to the fact we already have a three songs for him already,

Theo, Theo Theo chant

Theo (hey Jude tune)

One of our own

So all positive 😁

So with Walcott in thats a decent window IMO. The absolute needs were RB, CB and CM. All done with young, promising players who we own rathrr than have loaned. Attacker a bonus and its a low risk one.

Have only lost one starting player, when we have a couple of others that would interest other teams.

If we could get full back cover to enable Vokins or Valery to be loaned out then even better, but it seems unlikely at this stage.

1 hour ago, modern matron said:

Welcome aboard Theo!!

The comparison of Ings to Charlie Austin must be the highlight of that thread. 

I can see the benefit of a right back who can cover on the left. One sub for both places plus would allow a valery loan which I think would be good. Finding one good enough to cover but not having to start might be a tall order though 

We can still sign players from football league clubs after today until 16th October.

Would have thought with the current state of things (no fans in stadiums this season and the football league asking the Prem for financial assistance) there could be one or two half decent promising young players who's clubs would be liable to accept a reasonable offer for?