• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor
    • Disastrous

1 minute ago, Give it to Ron said:

Still concerned with Valery but guess JWP cover there now too and we have Diallo if needed in midfield.

Vokins also an unknown 

We obviously still want some cover at the back so I'm happy to know that we have recognised our areas that need some improvement eventually. 

I need to go to bed soon, wish they’d hurry up and announce Walcott! With Boufal gone I’d rather have Walcott than nobody.

I guess with the EFL to Prem (and vice versa) window still open for another 11 days, and with us offloading so much off the wage bill today (2 permanently) then we may still see some movement IN in that time. Plenty of jewels there still to be had. Also OUT could go the likes of Gunn, Hesketh and Sims potentially. (Although Personally I don’t mind Sims...)

1 minute ago, SaintBobby said:

Assuming Theo gets confirmed, who was the last ex-Saint who came back? By which I mean someone who played in the first team before leaving us initially, not only playing for the U-12s?

Kevin Davies?

2 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

Assuming Theo gets confirmed, who was the last ex-Saint who came back? By which I mean someone who played in the first team before leaving us initially, not only playing for the U-12s?

Just now, saintwbu said:

Kevin Davies?

Yes that’s my guess if we are talking non loan players

1 minute ago, Divergent said:

Listening to Sky you’d think taking Walcott on loan was going to result in us dancing in the street! I’ve got no objection to him coming but he’s really not the exciting signing that they’re making him out to be. 

If Liverpool and City were making big signings Theo wouldn’t have hardly earned a mention. They try to build up whatever they’ve got. It’s pathetic really.

Edited by beatlesaint
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Divergent said:

Listening to Sky you’d think taking Walcott on loan was going to result in us dancing in the street! I’ve got no objection to him coming but he’s really not the exciting signing that they’re making him out to be. 

They just build up whatever they get. We'll have one of the most high profile deals of the day, which says it all about the day!

Theo Walcott on signing for Southampton: ‘I will probably cry, I bet, when I first play, and it means so much. All the people that made it happen, I can’t thank them enough. Honestly, I’m so pleased.’ #saintsfc

• Like 1

It all open

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Proves we did want a defensive loan. Not a massive negative though as he would only have been cover anyway. Let's hope no long term injuries for Bertrand or kwp. 

It all opens again in about 11 weeks.....

We've had worse windows but overall this wasn't a great one.

Good to get shot of a few earners.

Walker-Peters a decent signing. The other two we'll see. If one of them turns out to be a Mane-style smash hit then great but remains to be seen. 

Walcott, seems a bit pointless to me. Let's see how he does. Maybe the kids might learn something. 

All in all the squad still feels wafer thin. We've been lucky with injuries in recent seasons so let's hope that continues.

5 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Walker-Peters a decent signing. The other two we'll see. If one of them turns out to be a Mane-style smash hit then great but remains to be seen. 

Walcott, seems a bit pointless to me. Let's see how he does. Maybe the kids might learn something. 

All in all the squad still feels wafer thin. We've been lucky with injuries in recent seasons so let's hope that continues.

For me that's the big positive. If we need to dip into the market in January, we aren't shackled by an obese wage bill of players who aren't even playing for the club.

This squad finished 11th and had KWP been there from the start, last season's farce with a different defence and formation every 45 minutes may not have transpired. We may well have been a place or two higher.

With everyone fit, our bench contains Forster, Valery, Stephens (probably), Romeu, Djenepo, Walcott and Obafemi. That still leaves Gunn, Vest and Long not even making the matchday XI and they were regular starters at the beginning of last season.

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

That's your opinion, I feel we have had a fantastic window. We've had to contest with Covid and a market where teams are even more against it financially.

We have taken hits to decrease wage bill, and we've done so whilst improving the team. 

Ralph always wanted a small squad to work with and our starting 11 is very good, We have a group of 3 good players for each area of our pitch, only concern is fb! But you can only recruit what you have. 

All in all, I feel this was a 8/10. It would of been higher, But Lazio prob won't use the option to sign Hoedt.

8 hours ago, SaintBobby said:

Good window. Despite the mystery over Salisu. Hope that turns out to be nothing major to worry about it.

What is the Salisu mystery?  It was reported that his squad number is 22 and it's been said that he's working to get up to speed with Saints' way of playing.  Is there anything more?

An interesting one. KWP absolutely needed to be signed permanently after his performances in the back end of last season, so happy with that.

Then we have the question markers. Salisu and Diallo are still quite fresh/unknown. Both have very little experience of professional football and the Premier League is an unforgiving league. They could go either way, hopefully they’re more of a Djenepo, who is still raw, but clearly has ability and potential, rather than a Danso. 

Then we have Walcott, who again has question marks over himself now. Has he still got what he once had and how bad are his injury problems still? He’s always been a good finisher though, so hopefully he can add that to a squad who only has Ings as the natural scorer. But, then last year we signed Danso on loan on deadline day, so we’ve gone up a few levels there. The signings of Diallo and Walcott have also pushed Tella and Smallbone back down the squad’s pecking order, as neither are good enough currently. While we now have four centre-back options again, and we know we have three who can play at this level. (Salisu unproven). 

I’m not too disappointed about missing out on Williams. I thought he was a strange link to begin with. I’m more than happy with Bertrand still, who is still one of our better players and obviously KWP on the other side. I think Valery is still good enough to be backup on the right side and I haven’t seen enough of Vokins, but at 20 this season is really the one where he needs to prove that he is good enough and add to his singular league appearance.

Sam McQueen still exists, he’ll be 26 when he leaves us next summer, probably retire, shame.

I think the fact we can even discuss whether Salisu and danillo are good enough is good news because it means we actually brought in some players in positions we needed to try and improve us. We could just as easily be sitting here with no one in those positions which would be a lot worse. 

37 minutes ago, Professor said:

What is the Salisu mystery?  It was reported that his squad number is 22 and it's been said that he's working to get up to speed with Saints' way of playing.  Is there anything more?

May be nothing to it. But a range of things seemed odd. The club was days behind in confirming the signing, even after it was reported as done deal everywhere. We have seen virtually nothing of Salisu. Not sure he’s even done an interview for the club website? Hasn’t apparently been training with the first team, but instead training alone to get fit - fine, but not obvious how this would be the best way of getting him used to our style of play, which is the apparent priority.

Most likely everything is fine, but it’s all rather unorthodox and I think there are grounds for being just a tad uneasy without any real grounds (yet!) to panic.

There's definitely something 'different' about the Salisu signing from a publicity perspective. 

We've seen the 'normal' club publicity machine kick in for the signings of Diallo and Walcott - formal photo session with kit, video interview, etc. 

They both got the full works, whereas all we've seen of Salisu is a couple of snatched shots at one training session and the media filming day. 

Why no interview? Why no formal photographs?

There may well be a perfectly valid  reason for the media department not giving him the usual full monty publicity treatment, but without any explanation as to why it's perfectly reasonable to observe the different approach and ponder "why?"

The fact that he might be injured or was quarantining at the beginning doesn't explain the low key coverage from the media team.

37 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

May be nothing to it. But a range of things seemed odd. The club was days behind in confirming the signing, even after it was reported as done deal everywhere. We have seen virtually nothing of Salisu. Not sure he’s even done an interview for the club website? Hasn’t apparently been training with the first team, but instead training alone to get fit - fine, but not obvious how this would be the best way of getting him used to our style of play, which is the apparent priority.

Most likely everything is fine, but it’s all rather unorthodox and I think there are grounds for being just a tad uneasy without any real grounds (yet!) to panic.

Agreed. I assumed initially that it was a bout of Covid that we were trying to keep quiet (hence he was quarantined and unable to do anything).

Seems odd not to have had any interviews / photos of his medical, as others usually do. Again, that could be due to Covid things being a bit stricter when he joined (e.g. not allowed a photographer in the room?) but would have thought we'd have heard some more by now. Hopefully nothing too serious and he's just a bit camera shy. Must be very strange moving to a new job/country in current circumstances, so wouldn't particularly blame him if there were potential personal issues too.

Voted good, in the context of having little money from a bloated over-paid squad it’s almost a very good.

not convinced about Theo, said elsewhere he’d be nice on a sentimental level and that’s it. Like everyone I’m enjoying the warm sentimental glow this morning, but in a few months? For the outlay it’s low-risk I guess so no real complaints.

kwp good, the other 2 unknown. If they work out could be a major improvement. Still think we’re missing ‘something’ in the attacking third, still worried about cb (depending on Salisu) and not happy about having 3 well-paid keepers, none of whom are quite good enough.

But in the context of our finances I wasn’t expecting everything sorted In one window. Shifting some more of the wages is great and will help future windows address the other gaps.

And at least with Ralph and the age of the signings I feel like we’re building something. This window and the last few months of results means I’m the most positive I’ve felt in years so overall pretty happy!

Edited by Chewy
Typo
  • Like 1

Current Squad?

1. McCarthy..........Forster,,,,,,,Gunn?
2. Walker Peters...Valery
3. Bertrand............Voakes
4. Romeu...............Diallo
5. Bedernak..........Stephens
6. Vestergaard......Salisu
7. Armstong.........Long
8. Adams..............Walcott
9. Ings...................Obefemi
10.Ward Prowse...Smallbone
11. Redmond........Djenepo

Arguably stronger than last year but possibly a bit light at Left Back. Attacking Midfield and possibly striker.
Would also like to see some more height in the side and left footed players but beggars can't be choosers!!

1 hour ago, Chewy said:

Voted good, in the context of having little money from a bloated over-paid squad it’s almost a very good.

not convinced about Theo, said elsewhere he’d be nice on a sentimental level and that’s it. Like everyone I’m enjoying the warm sentimental glow this morning, but in a few months? For the outlay it’s low-risk I guess so no real complaints.

kwp good, the other 2 unknown. If they work out could be a major improvement. Still think we’re missing ‘something’ in the attacking third, still worried about cb (depending on Salisu) and not happy about having 3 well-paid keepers, none of whom are quite good enough.

But in the context of our finances I wasn’t expecting everything sorted In one window. Shifting some more of the wages is great and will help future windows address the other gaps.

And at least with Ralph and the age of the signings I feel like we’re building something. This window and the last few months of results means I’m the most positive I’ve felt in years so overall pretty happy!

Agree with this. Would have liked Brandon Williams but guess OGS was still smarting and thought it bad PR to let a defender go in the circumstances. KWP is the real find, along with getting rid of dead wood. Think Walcott is a bit of a distraction and hope the over-marketing of his ‘story’ stops soon, mainly for his sake. Else there will be an awful lot to live up to and not convinced he’ll meet the hype. Salisu also worries me. Hope all legit. We need that position to work. Diallo a good signing although raw. Overall a decent window, in the circs.

Where does it place the takeover? Did these go through on basis of new owners or to secure the club in the Premier to protect the purchase?

Edited by DT
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

As an aside, I saw on the BBC that Fulham had been busy boys hoovering up 3 including RLC - Lemina must be laying in bed this morning thinking of all the things he can do in London on a match day having so much money burning a hole in his pocket.

He is such a waste of talent

Lemina (or his agent) must be able to repeatedly present him as motivated and eager. Coaches vanity maybe also plays a part as they think they can push/train him to perform in a way his last club(s) could not.

I did think while being excited* by yesterdays events that you could start to put together a "lazy buggers" team from ex or not so ex Saints players. Lemina would be captain of course, unless you count VVD's last few games.

© Sky Sports News

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kermitzasaint said:

Bit disappointed that we still have no real attacking midfielder still. Not some one to scare the opposition. 

Pretty average window, only highlights really were getting rid of some of the deadwood and brining in two players who could turn out to be good.

Otherwise another fullback who can't defend and an ageing attacking player with nothing on his CV for years to write home about. 5/10.