1. 1. Rate the Window

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor
    • Disastrous

I can remember the excitement when Theo burst on to the scene here in Southampton. It was very difficult for him to live up the hype but he gave us some special moments before Arsenal came calling far too early. His pace was phenomenal but, of course, that will be seriously diminished now. Nevertheless he is an experienced England international with a respectable goal return for a winger. Certainly not an instinctive goal scorer. He will not be demanding and should be a good squad player. I think coming here is largely down to his wife's local roots. Fair enough. Not sure I am "excited" but I think this is good business and look forward to seeing him in a Saints shirt again.   

9 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Must say I’m coming round to the idea

yeah me to.  I really don't like those speedsters who don't seem to have the speed of thought to go with it, but I can see that teams need that variety of threat, not just players with good control. 

I'm picturing him making those rapid runs behind the fullback and JWP picking him out, or a CB pinging one into Adams and him flicking it round the corner for Walcott running beyond him. Not sure if Walcott puts the yards in going backwards, but we will see.  

Edited by Chez

6 minutes ago, BallBoy said:

I can remember the excitement when Theo burst on to the scene here in Southampton. It was very difficult for him to live up the hype but he gave us some special moments before Arsenal came calling far too early. His pace was phenomenal but, of course, that will be seriously diminished now. Nevertheless he is an experienced England international with a respectable goal return for a winger. Certainly not an instinctive goal scorer. He will not be demanding and should be a good squad player. I think coming here is largely down to his wife's local roots. Fair enough. Not sure I am "excited" but I think this is good business and look forward to seeing him in a Saints shirt again.   

He is pretty local himself having grown up in between Newbury and Didcot playing as a nipper in Newbury, which is where Swindon spotted him and the we nicked him from them.

So as a nipper he easily fell into the hours drive from the academy catchment limit (even though McMenemy won us dispensation on that ruling as not many football prospects could be found an hours drive south of Southampton)

5 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

I'd say 60k pw, no fee, for a reasonably proven premier league attacker + nostalgia is worth a go.  Hopefully can bring some experience/mentoring for the likes of Obafemi and Tella.  Then if he's great, he's available on a free next year.

Hopefully not, I really don't see what valuable techniques he could impart on them.

23 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

What the f does that mean? How can you do 90% of a deal. Its either done or it isn't. Is he having trouble writing the last letter of his name or something? 

Suspect having difficulty finishing 

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

An option which I am reading on this forum people think is better than Tella and Smallbone and maybe slightly better than our current players on the bench like Long. Not sure we could set the bar much lower for someone coming in on fifty/sixty/seventy grand a week.

Gee, what a fantastic option.

An absolute travesty of a transfer window yet again.

Walcott is a tremendous signing. If you take out games that he started but where he didn't complete 90 minutes, exclude sub appearances, exclude cup games and European games, include games he started as a right winger, exclude games against the top 6 and games where he was on his way back from injury, exclude the first 3 seasons of his career at Arsenal as he was adapting to the premier league and Wengers methods, the games at Everton under Silva as he was an awful manager or Allederyce that wouldn't have suited his style, then he has a goal record of a goal in every 1.84 games. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Chez said:

yeah me to.  I really don't like those speedsters who don't seem to have the speed of thought to go with it, but I can see that teams need that variety of threat, not just players with good control. 

I'm picturing him making those rapid runs behind the fullback and JWP picking him out, or a CB pinging one into Adams and him flicking it round the corner for Walcott running beyond him. Not sure if Walcott puts the yards in going backwards, but we will see.  

....and him shooting at goal only for it to end in an opposition throw in.

Theo only has to be better than Boufal to be  positive for us this season. Even though he was not all that productive at Everton, he still offered way more return in goals and assists than Boufal did for us, so I see no reason not to be optimistic. At 31 he'll be playing to get one more contract, so he should be putting in the effort for us.

Just now, Teddeer said:

Getting rid of some deadwood only to replace it with more of the same. Madness.

Is it replacing with deadwood if you get a relatively cheap one year loan? It will cost us roughly £2m in total for an ex international, in a position we need depth. 

it either works and we look to buy him next summer, or it doesn’t and it costs us relatively f*ck all

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, LeBizzier69 said:

....and him shooting at goal only for it to end in an opposition throw in.

Theo scored 65 or so goals in 270 odd PL games at Arsenal, a damn good return for a winger. He's a decent goal scorer at his best. He's past his best now, but still a better goal scorer than Boufal, or than Shane Long, for that matter.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

It is a position in the squad taken up so doesn't matter whether a loan or transfer.

Don’t think that matters as we aren’t close to using all the squad spaces up...given the squad is so small.

He’s an improvement on the current players, so not sure what there is to moan about tbh. 

25 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

I’ve not seen this anywhere? Have you a link?

I think that people were just pointing out that Gross used to play for Ralph at Ingolstadt and is not currently used much at Brighton, so maybe could do a job for Saints.

17 minutes ago, northam soul said:

We haven’t got rid of any deadwood yet though unless I’ve missed something 

Hoedt to Roma (or is it Lazio?) and Boufal to Angers both pretty much done, according to reports.

Edited by RinNY

2 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

So with Hoedt, Carillo, Boufal, and Lemina gone, what unloved players, or even 'deadwood', remain to be shifted ? With Elyonoussi on loan at Celtic, and FF insisting on staying, what is left of Les' legacy ?

Gunn? Although rumour off to Stoke

Edited by Give it to Ron

If Theo can score even half the goals that our last "injury crippled emergency last day signing striker" (Danny Ings) has scored, when everyone whinged and moaned, I'll be very happy.  If, in the next 9 months he can score 6 or 7 times as many goals that Boufal has managed in the past 3 years (and even a few assists) I will also be happy. If after those 9 months Ralph gives him a 1 year contract then that means he is doing well, I will also be happy.

He doesn't get many mentions on here since he left, but I always felt Steven Davis was an important part of the Saints set-up - not the greatest player in the world, but always gave 100%, experienced, likable, apparently popular in the dressing room, a good level headed guy to have in the dressing room.....maybe that's a role Theo can adopt at the club as well and in my opinion that's no bad thing.  

I believe Ralph knows his stuff and if this is his idea and he is happy then I trust his judgment.

Shoot me down if, after 9 months  his bum is numb from sitting on the bench or the treatment table is permanently engaged.

Some confusion over Hoedt going to Roma or Lazio. Unlike him to be in the wrong place............Oh.

Mind you, in his head, he is so good, he could probably play for both at the same time.

Edited by Saint Keef
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Saint Keef said:

If Theo can score even half the goals that our last "injury crippled emergency last day signing striker" (Danny Ings) has scored, when everyone whinged and moaned, I'll be very happy.  If, in the next 9 months he can score 6 or 7 times as many goals that Boufal has managed in the past 3 years (and even a few assists) I will also be happy. If after those 9 months Ralph gives him a 1 year contract then that means he is doing well, I will also be happy.

He doesn't get many mentions on here since he left, but I always felt Steven Davis was an important part of the Saints set-up - not the greatest player in the world, but always gave 100%, experienced, likable, apparently popular in the dressing room, a good level headed guy to have in the dressing room.....maybe that's a role Theo can adopt at the club as well and in my opinion that's no bad thing.  

I believe Ralph knows his stuff and if this is his idea and he is happy then I trust his judgment.

Shoot me down if, after 9 months  his bum is numb from sitting on the bench or the treatment table is permanently engaged.

We're now pretending that Danny Ings was a last minute emergency signing and not a priority we'd been working on all that summer. Fair enough.

4 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

TBF, he was a last min option

TBF, no he wasn't. We were linked with him all summer and it was a drawn out negotiation clearly with other parties interested. At the time Hughes or that Ross Wilson said we'd been working on him all that summer.

Happy to have Theo back on a cheap loan deal, he won't have to do much to contribute more than the players who are being replaced if he gets a handful of goals and assists then it will have been a decent bit of business.  He's still quick and hopefully will be keen to show what he can do to earn a contract next season.