• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor
    • Disastrous

8 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

An option which I am reading on this forum people think is better than Tella and Smallbone and maybe slightly better than our current players on the bench like Long. Not sure we could set the bar much lower for someone coming in on fifty/sixty/seventy grand a week.

Gee, what a fantastic option.

An absolute travesty of a transfer window yet again.

Travesty you have written off KWP , Salisu and Diallo?

full back needed signed, central defence needed signed, central defensive midfielder needed and signed if that’s a travesty then not sure what you expected.

16 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

An option which I am reading on this forum people think is better than Tella and Smallbone and maybe slightly better than our current players on the bench like Long. Not sure we could set the bar much lower for someone coming in on fifty/sixty/seventy grand a week.

Lol. What a drama queen. You're usually a bit more sensible than that

We came into the window needing a DM, RB, and CB. We have signed all of these, KWP was amazing this weekend and in my opinion our best RB since Clyne, Salisu is hugely highly rated, young, and left footed so I am stoked about him, and Diallo looks decent, is young, and has already inspired Romeu to raise his game with the increased competition. We also wanted to shift deadwood and are looking to have permanently sold Carrillo, Hoedt, and Boufal and loaned out Elyounoussi and Lemina so on that front we have done well too. This has already been a great window. Anything else is a bonus!

With regards to Walcott, don't really rate him personally but at 40-50k a week and no transfer fee is a low risk stop gap for a position which is already reasonably well covered and we have good youth options coming through in. Seems like smart business, there in case of an emergency but not essential and not too expensive. Also having a player with his experience could be a good influence on Smallbone/Tella.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 2

I browse the Grand Old Team Everton forum regularly, and there's been a lot of chatter about Walcott's potential departure to us today. Feelings seem to be mixed among their fans. Some think he still has pace and ability and is a useful option from the bench, but has lost his confidence due to not getting regular game time. Oothers reckon his legs have gone and he's a bottler and a waste of space.

Given the signings they have made this summer, it's obvious he isn't going to be a regular starter for Ancellotti, so most are happy to see him moved on and get his wages off the books.

I'll admit I haven't seen enough of him in recent years to make my own judgement, but if Ralph reckons he can make a contribution then I'll put my trust in him.

Edited by Sheaf Saint

23 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Strange how opinions differ. I was thinking this is the best 'window' I can remember...dead wood going and fresh hopes coming where most needed---well done Ralph and the Board. Things have looked up

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Teddeer said:

I don't think Walcott adds anything to the squad. Even at his best he was little more than a player who had the ability to run quickly with the ball at his feet. He's never been a great finisher, tends to drift out of games for long periods and has absolutely no footballing brain. Not for me.

Harsh 

5 minutes ago, Dellman said:

Strange how opinions differ. I was thinking this is the best 'window' I can remember...dead wood going and fresh hopes coming where most needed---well done Ralph and the Board. Things have looked up

On the assumption there is a takeover going on in the background then it is probably as good as it was going to get.

The most important thing to come out of this window closing is that we are moving on the deadwood that have hampered us so much in recent years and yes, would I prefer to see something a little more ambitious than Theo if he signs, absolutely I would but we appear to be going in the right direction again with the signings of KWP, Salisu and Diallo, and who knows next summer with even more of the expensive deadwood gone, we should should fianancially be in a much better position again to strengthen even more with proven quality at the right age too!

We still haven't addressed the issue we have if Armstrong is out injured. When he doesn't play, the balance looks all wrong and often we are crap.

I think we have enough average 'wide' players as it is with Redmond and Moussa, what we need is an intelligent footballer who can pick a pass, find space, make good runs and chip in with a few goals. Signing Walcott doesn't change that.  

14 minutes ago, Dellman said:

Indeed.  In my opinion this is one of the best windows we have had for ages.  Seem to be actually trying to shift the crap, and have already got a right back, centre back and centre mid in, which were the main positions we needed.  On top of that all the signings look like great prospects, and potential large resale values in a few years.  If we can add a cover full back and one more wide player, then it will have been much much better than I expected.

We're not signing him permanently but will get a season out of him for relatively (by absurd football standards) little cost. If it doesn't work out, we haven't lost much. If this chance inspires him to put in some decent performances that will be brilliant. I don't get all the negativity. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, craigthesaint said:

going in the right direction again with the signings of KWP, Salisu and Diallo, and who knows next summer with even more of the expensive deadwood gone, we should should fianancially be in a much better position again to strengthen even more with proven quality at the right age too!

Are they?

I'm not Walcott's greatest fan, but he is very similar to Armstrong in that his greatest strength is his off the ball running. You do need players to make runs and give players with the ball options. We have at times been far too static, passing in front of teams (and backwards). Walcott and Amstrong make those runs in behind, working midfielders and opponents. Making them run towards their own goal. Keeping them from pressing us. Without Amstrong we often struggle, so perhaps we have found the right man to cover/replace him when injured?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

I'm not Walcott's greatest fan, but he is very similar to Armstrong in that his greatest strength is his off the ball running. You do need players to make runs and give players with the ball options. We have at times been far too static, passing in front of teams (and backwards). Walcott and Amstrong make those runs in behind, working midfielders and opponents. Making them run towards their own goal. Keeping them from pressing us. Without Amstrong we often struggle, so perhaps we have found the right man to cover/replace him when injured?

I know this doesnt show running and work rate but he is also a different typespacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png of player if we need one - stats from last year with and without the ballspacer.png

Screenshot 2020-10-05 at 14.41.29.png

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Are they?

Read it again! I never said those two were proven quality? I said that they were signings that shows we appear to be going in the right direction. I then quite clearly state that we should be in a better position to strengthen with proven quality next summer! Anotherwords, possibly players that we already know more about and not relying on youtube videos of unknowns and their best bits.

Last day of the transfer window and we’re in for a loan for a talented but injury plagued chap from Merseyside. He has a lovely personality, great attitude and a real affinity for SFC from when he was a kid. However his record over the last few seasons has been pretty bad. Loads of people including me are sceptical that it’s just a huge waste of money. It can’t possibly work out well.

But Is it me, or is anyone else got a feeling of deja vu?

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, itchen said:

We're not signing him permanently but will get a season out of him for relatively (by absurd football standards) little cost. If it doesn't work out, we haven't lost much. If this chance inspires him to put in some decent performances that will be brilliant. I don't get all the negativity. 

Yep, tend to agree. Fact is the club don’t seem willing or able to make another permanent signing to replace Boufal in the squad so whoever we sign is only going to be a temporary fix. With the talk of a takeover and potentially a better chance of investing properly in players once that goes through, this kind of deal makes some sense at this time. I would ideally prefer someone a bit more creative on the ball, but Theo will at least give us another more experienced option who has a reasonable record in front of goal.

We need a hard working playmaker really, basically an upgrade on on Armstrong who can drift into the middle from those wide areas and pick passes out, basically a left footed Grealish.

Probably a hard and expensive player to buy. 

I mean if its not costing us much (sounds likely he'll basically use up the wages we wasted on Carrillo)  and he hasn't lost is his pace I suppose it gives us something a bit different. The only out and out pacey forward we have is Obafemi who is still a bit rough in his overall play and Adams is still not chipping in with the goals, so Walcott gives us I suppose an experienced forward to play with (or if the worst happens) instead of Ings and also gives us different wide right option as well. 

Would prefer someone better but we are where we are I suppose.  Hopefully the more deadwood we clear the more positive signings we can make each window. 

But a centre-back, right back and centre-mid, all young promising players is not a bad window overall. 

2 minutes ago, alehouseboys said:

You can stick me in the ‘OK with it’ Theo camp, particularly if true we’re paying maybe less than half his salary. Would have been better a couple of years back but now good cover for 2 or 3 players and if he’s still got it in the tank, ‘appy days!

Fine with it too. Gives us additional options at a budget level in terms of cost. Could well be a very useful impact sub imo.

1 minute ago, Saint Pete said:

Yep, tend to agree. Fact is the club don’t seem willing or able to make another permanent signing to replace Boufal in the squad so whoever we sign is only going to be a temporary fix. With the talk of a takeover and potentially a better chance of investing properly in players once that goes through, this kind of deal makes some sense at this time. I would ideally prefer someone a bit more creative on the ball, but Theo will at least give us another more experienced option who has a reasonable record in front of goal.

We need someone with pace. Theo provides that and Armstrong doesn’t so he is another option to the squad.
Plus another Southampton bred player so will know everything about the club so no need for time to settle.

Bit of a no brainer for me.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Everton now looking for a keeper to put pressure on Pickford (christ knows how bad he would look if he felt under pressure!)

Well, as we're already talking to them anyway .....

I hear that Adrian bloke from across Stanley Park could provide a similar level of competition 😂

I know he is not getting a lot of love on here, but it will be nice to have a player happy to be here and someone who will give everything for the club in an attempt to get a new contract. We missed out on seeing anything of his best in a Saints short due to the money issues we had at the time, and no one should forget the favour he did us by signing that first contract with us that effectively forced arsenal to hand us £10m or whatever it was. He couLd have easily have just signed with them. So the sentimental side of me thinks it will be nice to see him in a Saints shirt again. I think it's not the worst signing in the world, especially as its a loan.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

I know he is not getting a lot of love on here, but it will be nice to have a player happy to be here and someone who will give everything for the club in an attempt to get a new contract. We missed out on seeing anything of his best in a Saints short due to the money issues we had at the time, and no one should forget the favour he did us by signing that first contract with us that effectively forced arsenal to hand us £10m or whatever it was. He couLd have easily have just signed with them. So the sentimental side of me thinks it will be nice to see him in a Saints shirt again. I think it's not the worst signing in the world, especially as its a loan.

Must say I’m coming round to the idea