Saints vs Everton - Build up & Match Thread

SuperSAINT

1 minute ago, USA-Saint-Fan said:

I’ll admit to still learning the subtleties of football, but why don’t more teams do this more often?  I liken it to switch defenses in basketball from man-to-man to different type of zone defense in an attempt to confuse the opponent and foil their offensive plan that is predicated on you playing a specific formation.  It wouldn’t have to be done often or for long.  But if you can get the opponent spending time trying to figure out what formation you are playing, I think it would help.  Is there a reason that this is a bad idea, e.g. lack of player skill flexibility to execute different formations?

Thanks for assisting in my education.

I think it depends- I don’t know much about basketball in fairness but I think constantly switching formation you may shoot yourself in the foot as instructions become confusing.

Also without meaning to sound ignorant, I feel like basketball players can easily switch  positions because traits tend to be generic i.e. tall strong players?

In football you really need the personnel to switch formation and roles- a left footed player might not work on the otherside, another player may not have speed to play on the wing, others may lack the brain to move into centre half etc etc.

Ultimately as well though- if it isn’t broke then don’t fix it!

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

Redmonds first contribution of the second half is to give away a free kick, carry on from.where you left off mate. 

Sorry to keep going on about it but Ings and Adams get on the ball, they look sharp and move with urgency. Pass it to redmond and it slows right down as if he doesn't care at all.

1 minute ago, nta786 said:

I think it depends- I don’t know much about basketball in fairness but I think constantly switching formation you may shoot yourself in the foot as instructions become confusing.

Also without meaning to sound ignorant, I feel like basketball players can easily switch  positions because traits tend to be generic i.e. tall strong players?

In football you really need the personnel to switch formation and roles- a left footed player might not work on the otherside, another player may not have speed to play on the wing, others may lack the brain to move into centre half etc etc.

Ultimately as well though- if it isn’t broke then don’t fix it!

Thanks!  Your explanation makes sense and I agree that you do need to take into account your player capabilities.  I wasn’t thinking of constantly changing, but maybe moving from the 4-2-2-2 to a 4-3-3 or maybe a 4-2-3-1 or something for a bit and then changing back.  Something where you only need to move one or two players.  It would certainly take communication so that all players know what to do.

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Saints vs Everton - Build up & Match Thread
  • Jimmy_D unpinned and locked this topic