Saints vs Everton - Build up & Match Thread

SuperSAINT

Vestergaard gets great height when defending which is so important as Calvin-Lewis leaps so well.

Attacking wise Vestergaard is not so good in the air which is strange.

Need Armstrong back for this and we must press to close down the Everton midfield.

Hoping Richarlison is out suspended plus Coleman who got injured which is good for us.

11 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Tough, tough game.

Ralph with a good week to work with the players.  Need to get Armstrong & Djenepo back into contention.

Yes. Realistically I'd say the odds favour Everton so I'll be looking to place my usual small bet elsewhere.

They'll be without Richarlison, though - and there's no obvious like-for-like replacement in their ranks. Iwobi is slow as shit, Walcott has joined somebody else, I forget who. Bernard has Jake Hesketh's body, only weaker.

Credit to Everton, they've started the season well, but they're not too special. We can have a good day against them if we turn up.

Goalkeeper's a total clown.

High scoring draw, key will be stopping the crosses in Calvert-Lewin and finding a way to shackle James Rodriguez who I have to say has surprised me, thought he was a spent force physically who would struggle in this league but is doing very well so far.

Certainly think we'll create chances against them though, neither centre-back impresses me much, Pickford is an accident waiting to happen (probably a blessing for us he didn't get red carded and banned) and both their full backs bomb on a lot and leave space. 

Richarlison is a big loss for them as well.

Plus always feel more comfortable when the team has a full week to prepare. 

Theo Walcott may not be able to play but his insider knowledge of Everton players and tactics must be of use to our coaching staff. 

Ralph may have a selection headache in midfield but no doubt will field the same starting XI as yesterday with Armstrong in for Theo.

People have been too harsh on Jan Bednarek this weekend, they should remember that he played a lot of minutes for Poland during the break. He will be much better next weekend. The idea of recalling Stevens horrifies me.

• Like 1

Rodriguez is quality on the ball but shocking off it, and doesn't track back a huge amount. 

Bertrand could exploit that a few times.

A good game to see where we are at. No Intl break excuses, a week to prepare and will face a team that will play to win and will give us space.

13 hours ago, qwertyell said:

..........Goalkeeper's a total clown.

Wouldn't disagree but he's now proved what a reckless clown he is, which is a tad worrying.  

Our front two need to keep an eye on him if he starts tearing around the penalty area.

He needs stopping......

18 hours ago, tajjuk said:

High scoring draw, key will be stopping the crosses in Calvert-Lewin and finding a way to shackle James Rodriguez who I have to say has surprised me, thought he was a spent force physically who would struggle in this league but is doing very well so far.

Certainly think we'll create chances against them though, neither centre-back impresses me much, Pickford is an accident waiting to happen (probably a blessing for us he didn't get red carded and banned) and both their full backs bomb on a lot and leave space. 

Richarlison is a big loss for them as well.

Plus always feel more comfortable when the team has a full week to prepare. 

He must know he was lucky to get away with that. Hopefully will make him hesitate for a split second before committing himself next game, often that's all the time an attacker neds. Or even morehopefully the referees union will decide some karma is needed and be looking for any reason to right a wrong.

One thing I would put money on, this  won't be this seasons first 0-0 draw.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

He must know he was lucky to get away with that. Hopefully will make him hesitate for a split second before committing himself next game, often that's all the time an attacker neds. Or even morehopefully the referees union will decide some karma is needed and be looking for any reason to right a wrong.

That happened last night.

50 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

No further action to be taken against Pickford   https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54601721

27 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Ah just seen, not going to lie, I have very little interest in football that's not saints atm. Even Saints I didn't watch due to the bloody paywall.

The way MOTD highlights got later and later into the match, I thought one of these is going to nick it at the death.....................by all accounts it was a hard watch.

On 18/10/2020 at 09:46, Pilchards said:

Vestergaard gets great height when defending which is so important as Calvin-Lewis leaps so well.

Need Armstrong back for this and we must press to close down the Everton midfield.

Hoping Richarlison is out suspended plus Coleman who got injured which is good for us.

*Calvert-Lewin 

4 hours ago, Wurzel said:

Looks so far as if that will be today....

4 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Ah just seen, not going to lie, I have very little interest in football that's not saints atm. Even Saints I didn't watch due to the bloody paywall.

Don't know what the telly situation is for Everton but this was class from the barcodes https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54597058 and we should do something similar next time we're on at £15 a pop.

Seeing as Diallo was on the bench and had a spin out for a few minutes, I'm guessing that he is somewhere up to near Ralphs readiness, with Theo out due to it being against his home club - and we don't know what the Armstrong situation is re his Covid positive test, maybe we will see him on Sunday from the start with JWP (seeing as no position is a challenge for him) and him switching positions through the game. When KWP has a trip up the wing JWP often slides into right back as cover, and we all know JWP has been used at right back before.

Edited by John Boy Saint

15 hours ago, LaptopSaint said:

Don't know what the telly situation is for Everton but this was class from the barcodes https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54597058 and we should do something similar next time we're on at £15 a pop.

It seems to be a regular scheduled Sky Sports match so should be £9.99 for a day pass if you don't have Sky

On 18/10/2020 at 09:46, Pilchards said:

How can you sayVest cannot head attacking balls after the goal he headed last Saturday

1 hour ago, Totton Saint said:

How can you sayVest cannot head attacking balls after the goal he headed last Saturday

He didn't, he said he is not so good in the air attacking wise. Vest was stooping and on his knees when he flicked on Walcott's cross/strike. Hardly "in the air".

On 18/10/2020 at 01:46, Pilchards said:

Odd, I'm often struck by how rarely Vest seems to jump when defending in the air. If he can win it simply by stooping over his opponent, he will, but if someone is jumping up to contest him, he's much less dominant.

• Like 1

On 19/10/2020 at 08:14, Tony F said:

Wouldn't disagree but he's now proved what a reckless clown he is, which is a tad worrying.  

Our front two need to keep an eye on him if he starts tearing around the penalty area.

He needs stopping......

Already had a go at Ings previously - https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/16505157.southampton-manager-mark-hughes-sides-2-1-defeat-everton/

Something has clicked at Everton and it’s largely the managers responsibility. I don’t think we’ll get something from this unless we’re a little more conservative with the press by not taking such a high line. Fingers crossed for Armstrong otherwise it could be ugly.

11 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Something has clicked at Everton and it’s largely the managers responsibility. I don’t think we’ll get something from this unless we’re a little more conservative with the press by not taking such a high line. Fingers crossed for Armstrong otherwise it could be ugly.

Agree. I think Everton may struggle against the press but, such a high line of defence to me is a bit more a bit more of a worry to me.

It'll be interesting to see whether Everton opt to go for Godfrey at right back or Jonjoe Kenny who has just recovered from an ankle injury.

We should definitely get at them - Iwobi nor James are interested in defending so there should be some space down the flanks.

Also no silly free kicks being conceded outside the box, they're top of the list for headed goals in the last year. 

12 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Carlo Ancelotti has won 20 trophies in his career, he is a superb manager and would not have rolled up at Goodison Park if he could not have seen real potential to win more trophies there. It's not that he needs the money or the risk of damaging to his reputation on no-hopers. In the same way as Ralph Hasenhüttl has seemingly transformed Saints' fortunes in relative short order why should we not expect Everton players to respond and adapt to Ancelotti in the way that they have?

Of course some of their players are the same 'dross' that we have seen before but then again so are half the Saints team. Forget what has gone before this is a new Everton and a totally different challenge for us.

We are playing well (at times) and there is no reason why our "work in progress" team cannot go there and match their "work in progress" team and we have the advantage of being together longer. It will be a tough game and we need to be at our best for 95 minutes not 45 but we have home advantage in front of our own empty seats so 2-1 is on the cards if we turn up that is.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

To be honest I wou,d have thought this was absolutely a game to press high and keep high line.  With no Richarlison, the threat is aerial via DCL and you don’t want to be defending in your penalty area.  I also think that getting upfront and personal with James and Gomez is the right way to go

• Like 1

Quick look on their forum, pretty confident. Can't see one post saying they will lose......then again there is 30 odd pages so I didn't scroll through them all.

Fancy a least a point from this. Couple of knee high challenges after the whistle has blown will really put it up 'em.

Edited by skintsaint

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Saints vs Everton - Build up & Match Thread
  • Jimmy_D unpinned and locked this topic