Coronavirus

whelk

6 minutes ago, aintforever said:

He probably didn’t show the experiment without a mask because a fuck-off massive cloud of vape poured out his mouth and engulfed the camera a few feet away instead of going up round his head.

Why do you think he didn’t show it without?

Because his crude experiment is trying to show that vapour (again, that can be substitued for breath) escapes from around masks.

The experiment wasn't to show that vapour engulfs a camera without a mask.

Given that the average human exhales in the region of six litres of breath every minute, I'm not sure what relevance a 'fuck off massive cloud of vape' really has.  Surely the 'vape' is just a visual representation of the breath being released - unless you think that a normal human will exhale considerably more than six litres in a minute when they vape versus someone who isn't vaping?  

In terms of the virus spreading, it seems clear from his experiment that the 'breath' that carries it, is circulated even with a mask.

11 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Because his crude experiment is trying to show that vapour (again, that can be substitued for breath) escapes from around masks.

The experiment wasn't to show that vapour engulfs a camera without a mask.

Given that the average human exhales in the region of six litres of breath every minute, I'm not sure what relevance a 'fuck off massive cloud of vape' really has.  Surely the 'vape' is just a visual representation of the breath being released - unless you think that a normal human will exhale considerably more than six litres in a minute when they vape versus someone who isn't vaping?  

In terms of the virus spreading, it seems clear from his experiment that the 'breath' that carries it, is circulated even with a mask.

How can you have an experiment to show the effectiveness of masks without showing how the vape behaves without a mask? 

If the cloud of vape was bigger and travelled further without a mask it would show that masks work in reducing the spread, that’s obviously why he didn’t include it in his video.

11 hours ago, aintforever said:

How can you have an experiment to show the effectiveness of masks without showing how the vape behaves without a mask? 

If the cloud of vape was bigger and travelled further without a mask it would show that masks work in reducing the spread, that’s obviously why he didn’t include it in his video.

Woosh of the week. 

On 16/09/2020 at 15:48, Wes Tender said:

Despite having been universally derided for their policy on the Chinese virus, the Swedes appear to be having the last laugh. While the rest of Europe is suffering rising numbers of those infected, Sweden's are falling to their lowest levels. Death rates are only a tenth of the level predicted by so-called Science virology experts. They kept all of their schools, shops and restaurants opened, their pupils sat their exams on time and their economy carried on without too much of a hit. They relied on their people to take sensible measures to protect themselves as best they could.

We, like most of the rest of Europe, went the opposite way, introduced a severe lockdown, closed schools, shops, restaurants, hotels, travel etc, and have completely screwed our economy. 

When the Chinese introduce their next virus attack, we will have to thank the Swedes for showing us the way to overcome it. 😉

How did that happen? I thought that all of our systems were "world beating"?

Do you thing that Boris and Matt have been fibbing?

Utter bollocks. Vape particles are less than 2.5 microns.  The aerosol from a human cough ranges in size from 10-100 microns. The size of a corona virus is irrelevant. Its the size of the droplets its carried in that counts.   

Edited by buctootim

"When the sickness took hold in this country in March, we pulled together in a spirit of national sacrifice and community.

"We followed the guidance to the letter. We stayed at home, protected the NHS, and saved thousands of lives.

Unless of course  your name is Cummings to whom the guidance did not apply .

• Like 1

This virus must be from a very intelligent alien ivilisation. It knows only to attack people before 10 PM in pubs. It knows to wait for people to eat on the plane, when they take the mask off. It knows it can only zap you in a group of 7 or more. Not only deadly, but cunning. I like it. 

Well, they did warn us as kids back in the 1970s that TV would be used for brainwashing. And there we have it. 

12 minutes ago, st.bangkok said:

This virus must be from a very intelligent alien ivilisation. It knows only to attack people before 10 PM in pubs. It knows to wait for people to eat on the plane, when they take the mask off. It knows it can only zap you in a group of 7 or more. Not only deadly, but cunning. I like it. 

Well, they did warn us as kids back in the 1970s that TV would be used for brainwashing. And there we have it. 

Seems an odd strategy from Boris then keeping the pubs open until 10pm.  Surely they should remain closed all evening and only open at 10pm when it's nice and safe.... ;) 

6 hours ago, st.bangkok said:

You do know the basics of infection? That you need to have an infective dose? That it’s all about reducing level of exposure and length of exposure. 

Personally  I think the strategy is wrong and only the vulnerable should shield . The rest of us should adopt sensible moderate distancing but essentially get on with out lives. However your idea that’s it’s all a nwo conspiracy is barking

13 minutes ago, buctootim said:

You do know the basics of infection? That you need to have an infective dose? That it’s all about reducing level of exposure and length of exposure. 

Personally  I think the strategy is wrong and only the vulnerable should shield . The rest of us should adopt sensible moderate distancing but essentially get on with out lives. However your idea that’s it’s all a nwo conspiracy is barking

I can't tell if this guy is another Glasgow/Cabbage wind up or really just a bit thick. Having said that, there seems to be a large number of people who also cannot fathom the reason we're closing pubs at 10pm.

I'd agree with your strategy though. Everyone goes back to normal-ish with hand sanitisers, masks and working from home where possible. Those at risk will just have to isolate as best they can.

7 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I'd agree with your strategy though. Everyone goes back to normal-ish with hand sanitisers, masks and working from home where possible. Those at risk will just have to isolate as best they can.

That's the current Government strategy isn't it - albeit with a few caveats around how many people can meet (pointless) and what time pubs and restaurants can close (pointless also).

Seems the logical approach but the only question is who pays for those 'at risk' that cannot work from home but have to isolate?

1 minute ago, Weston Super Saint said:

That's the current Government strategy isn't it - albeit with a few caveats around how many people can meet (pointless) and what time pubs and restaurants can close (pointless also).

Seems the logical approach but the only question is who pays for those 'at risk' that cannot work from home but have to isolate?

The large majority will be retired pensioners, who won’t ‘need’ to leave home anyway. Younger people at risk will just have to manage as best they can, possibly with some form of JRS implemented specifically for them.

The pub stuff is complete nonsense. If it’s table service, it won’t make a blind bit of difference whether they shut at 10 or 12. They couldn’t really shut pubs after spending the previous month encouraging people to use them. They haven’t the balls to leave them alone as the lockdown mob will be on their case, so they make a token gesture and fuck any sort of hard choice.  If pubs spread the virus, why the fuck have an “eat out to Help out” policy and if they don’t, why shut them early. And don’t give me any pony about pubs being different after 10, they’re not if the existing guidelines are followed at all times. 

It’s just typical of the way the whole thing is being managed. Being PM means making tough, harsh and sometimes cruel decisions. I couldn’t do it, but then again I don’t stand for election. There are consequences over decisions, whether people thrown on the scrap heap by the great lady, or people dying in wars  & conflicts. This bloke seems to want to do the job without actually having the balls to do it. We need some fucking answers. What is the end game, and how will we get there. Protecting everyone until we get a vaccine is not a feasible strategy, 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The pub stuff is complete nonsense. If it’s table service, it won’t make a blind bit of difference whether they shut at 10 or 12. They couldn’t really shut pubs after spending the previous month encouraging people to use them. They haven’t the balls to leave them alone as the lockdown mob will be on their case, so they make a token gesture and fuck any sort of hard choice.  If pubs spread the virus, why the fuck have an “eat out to Help out” policy and if they don’t, why shut them early. And don’t give me any pony about pubs being different after 10, they’re not if the existing guidelines are followed at all times. 

It’s just typical of the way the whole thing is being managed. Being PM means making tough, harsh and sometimes cruel decisions. I couldn’t do it, but then again I don’t stand for election. There are consequences over decisions, whether people thrown on the scrap heap by the great lady, or people dying in wars  & conflicts. This bloke seems to want to do the job without actually having the balls to do it. We need some fucking answers. What is the end game, and how will we get there. Protecting everyone until we get a vaccine is not a feasible strategy, 

At least I can say that I didn't vote for the bufoon. All the signs were there. Can you ?? 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

At least I can say that I didn't vote for the bufoon. All the signs were there. Can you ?? 

The problem with the argument above about just shielding the vulnerable and making us younger people who are also vulnerable "manage as best we can" is wrong for the same reasons it was only affecting the young last week and now it's hitting everyone. Containment is just not that easy.

35 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

Nope, can’t. I voted for him (well my Tory Mp) . If you think Jezza would be handling it any better you’re deluded. He’d be managing it worse, the economy would be even more of a mess and we’d be staying in The EU. No thanks, no regrets at all. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

More interesting detail in the new Private Eye about how terribly run the testing is and how useless track and trace has become.

Mostly it seems to come down to the government's insistence that this would be carried out by private companies such as Deloittes and Serco, rather than actually just letting the local authorities and the NHS sort it out. 

In Germany you can get a test from your GP. Instead we shut surgeries and made everyone jump in a car and drive to a car park somewhere. 

Just now, Lord Duckhunter said:

Nope, can’t. I voted for him (well my Tory Mp) . If you think Jezza would be handling it any better you’re deluded. He’d be managing it worse, the economy would be even more of a mess and we’d be staying in The EU. No thanks, no regrets at all. 

You might be right on the economy but I think things like track and trace would have been run a lot better under Labour because they would have kept it in house rather than flogging it out to private companies stuffed full of their mates. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, The Cat said:

More interesting detail in the new Private Eye about how terribly run the testing is and how useless track and trace has become.

Mostly it seems to come down to the government's insistence that this would be carried out by private companies such as Deloittes and Serco, rather than actually just letting the local authorities and the NHS sort it out. 

In Germany you can get a test from your GP. Instead we shut surgeries and made everyone jump in a car and drive to a car park somewhere. 

Yes the testing system is a complete and utter farce as I would imagine the majority of people unfortunate enough to have to use it will testify . This was certainly my experience:

- Thursday wake up with a temperature of 39.5 and headache.  Speak to 111 who advice that a test is necessary. Go online but no test available. Try countless times that morning, afternoon and evening. Nothing available.

- Friday morning get test booked. 45 miles away. Turn up to find huge area devoted to testing, loads of staff but nobody being tested. Turns out that because I had not received an email, I had no QR code, so no test. Return home after a wasted 2.5 hour , 90 mile round trip and spend rest of day trying to get a new appointment. Succeed at 10pm that evening to get a test for 10 30 am the next  day 15 miles from home.  

- Saturday. Get tested on time. Centre full of staff no other testing taking place. Result should be received in 24 hours.

- Sunday. No result.

- Monday. No result.

- Tuesday. Result received at 6.15 am. (Negative) after nearly 68 hours - not 24.

The testing centres are set up well. There is no shortage of staff (eg 2 people standing in front of the exit sign holding signs pointing to the exit) but they have very little to do.  There is something very seriously wrong with the system and Johnson's claim about a "world beating system" is as far fetched as JRM criticisms of "carping".

3 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I can't tell if this guy is another Glasgow/Cabbage wind up or really just a bit thick.

He is definitely a bit thick but I reckon he is another one from the Heiselberg / Glasgow / Cabbage Face stable. The betting wind up "Heiselberg" story  was getting  a bit stale so he has another one now. Glasgow had golf / Weston has cycling. Both are based somewhere miles from Southampton and one has disappeared from here at the same time as the other has emerged.

What is certain is that they are both oddballs.

4 hours ago, The Cat said:

You might be right on the economy but I think things like track and trace would have been run a lot better under Labour because they would have kept it in house rather than flogging it out to private companies stuffed full of their mates. 

The NHS has been a fucking mess during this. Have you tried getting a Doctor or Dentist appointment lately using our beloved religion? And it’s “care” of people with other ailments has been quite frankly scandalous. I’ve absolutely no doubt an “in house” track & trace would have been absolutely woeful under Corbyn. This virus has basically shown up the complete failure of the British state to run a bath, let alone anything  that would resemble a half decent track and trace. The same fuckwits implement policy no matter who is in charge.....

2 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The NHS has been a fucking mess during this. Have you tried getting a Doctor or Dentist appointment lately using our beloved religion? And it’s “care” of people with other ailments has been quite frankly scandalous. I’ve absolutely no doubt an “in house” track & trace would have been absolutely woeful under Corbyn. This virus has basically shown up the complete failure of the British state to run a bath, let alone anything  that would resemble a half decent track and trace. The same fuckwits implement policy no matter who is in charge.....

Both the public and private sectors have been found wanting with some heroes/success stories mixed in. IMO we need to focus on helping parts of both sectors improve after the worst of this is over, railways are good place to evaluate whether the markets model works well everywhere. E Coast mainline is more profitable when it’s been in public hands and many of the state run railways I’ve used in mainland Europe have been much better. 

Some of the public contracts to the likes of Kier and Capita have been shocking value. Some other services are definitely performed better by the private sector eg dentistry with better defined NHS access points for those on low incomes. I’m happy with a mixed model and always worried when a political ideology thinks it knows best. Look at each service and provision on its own business plan. If it’s easier to turn a profit and delivers better value as a commercial entity, fine and good, state doesn’t need to do everything as it did postwar. If it doesn’t, taking parties out of it, let the state run it and make sure contacts and roles/duties/liabilities/penalties are clear at the outset.

6 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I’ve watched you post drivelling twaddle for years...but I think you’ve nailed it here. You actually posted something that I not only agree with (apart from Thatch...she was a c*nt) but is actually a really good, coherent post. Keep going young man! 2020’s been saved!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

He is definitely a bit thick but I reckon he is another one from the Heiselberg / Glasgow / Cabbage Face stable. The betting wind up "Heiselberg" story  was getting  a bit stale so he has another one now. Glasgow had golf / Weston has cycling. Both are based somewhere miles from Southampton and one has disappeared from here at the same time as the other has emerged.

Pony.

My join date is Nov 2006. You're one deluded stalker Jeff.

Two people have different hobbies so they must be the same person - seems absolutely logical to me and not in the slightest bit mental :mcinnes:

Edited by Weston Super Saint

26 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Pony.

My join date is Nov 2006. You're one deluded stalker Jeff.

Two people have different hobbies so they must be the same person - seems absolutely logical to me and not in the slightest bit mental :mcinnes:

You are protesting too much.   Go on admit it. 😉   😉        

21 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I can't tell if this guy is another Glasgow/Cabbage wind up or really just a bit thick. Having said that, there seems to be a large number of people who also cannot fathom the reason we're closing pubs at 10pm.

You mean thick as in believing everything they are told by the GOV. and on TV etc?

5 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

None of your ‘theories’ stand up to even the most basic fundamentals of science and logic, I have no interest in discussing them.

None of the mainstream theories have any science or fact behind them either, not if you open your eyes and do research and no, of course you do not want to discuss it as it will upset your rigid world/matrix, on which you are totally dependant and will fall apart if anything challenges that little rigid world. I do sympathise. It must be an awful place to be in, but then in most cases people like you are not even awake to it or aware of it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, st.bangkok said:

None of the mainstream theories have any science or fact behind them either, not if you open your eyes and do research and no, of course you do not want to discuss it as it will upset your rigid world/matrix, on which you are totally dependant and will fall apart if anything challenges that little rigid world. I do sympathise. It must be an awful place to be in, but then in most cases people like you are not even awake to it or aware of it.

Why not change your username to Morpheus ?

Face coverings - is it only me that's confused?

The current law is quite clear, you must wear a face mask when entering a shop (other places as well, I'm well aware, just choosing shops in this example for ease of reference!).

However, you are allowed to take the mask off whilst in the shop under certain circumstances, not only that, shop staff can insist that you do so for identification / age verification purposes.

But, there are also a number of exemptions whereby you DON'T have to wear a mask at all.  There is no clear definition of what these exemptions are, nor is there any need for anyone to actually have their exemption verified by a medical professional.  The Government does, however, have a facility for people to download an 'exemption card / letter / badge' which they can show to prove their exemption, but, not only is there no requirement to actually show one of these, people shouldn't be routinely asked to show their evidence.

All seems pretty disjointed with plenty of 'holes'!  Basically, anyone can say they are exempt from wearing a mask and don't need to have or provide a reason for not doing so!  Not entirely sure how the new £200 fine can be enforced on anyone!

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own

Exemption cards

Those who have an age, health or disability reason for not wearing a face covering should not be routinely asked to give any written evidence of this, this includes exemption cards. No person needs to seek advice or request a letter from a medical professional about their reason for not wearing a face covering.

Some people may feel more comfortable showing something that says they do not have to wear a face covering. This could be in the form of an exemption card, badge or even a home-made sign.

This is a personal choice and is not necessary in law.

On 23/09/2020 at 16:25, Lighthouse said:

At risk of what, though? Death, sure. 

But what about permanent lung damage?

59 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

The current law is quite clear, you must wear a face mask when entering a shop (other places as well, I'm well aware, just choosing shops in this example for ease of reference!).

However, you are allowed to take the mask off whilst in the shop under certain circumstances, not only that, shop staff can insist that you do so for identification / age verification purposes.

But, there are also a number of exemptions whereby you DON'T have to wear a mask at all.  There is no clear definition of what these exemptions are, nor is there any need for anyone to actually have their exemption verified by a medical professional.  The Government does, however, have a facility for people to download an 'exemption card / letter / badge' which they can show to prove their exemption, but, not only is there no requirement to actually show one of these, people shouldn't be routinely asked to show their evidence.

All seems pretty disjointed with plenty of 'holes'!  Basically, anyone can say they are exempt from wearing a mask and don't need to have or provide a reason for not doing so!  Not entirely sure how the new £200 fine can be enforced on anyone!

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own

They are hoping most people aren't ignorant cunts looking to game it.

4 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Exemption cards sometimes don't work

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54075771

On 24/09/2020 at 14:04, Weston Super Saint said:

The exemption doesn't prove anything. Anyone can download one. 

Total farce.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Coronavirus