Coronavirus

whelk

I’ve decided to wear a mask....

I’ve seen the light and it’s obvious I was wrong. 

Masks prevent viruses but also are very safe. I’ve decided to wear my mask at all times. I wear it in the store, in my car, on the beach and I’ll even wear it at home. 

I’ve started wearing condoms at all times as well because protection at all times is very important. 

If I’ve learned anything it’s that our government loves us, never ever lies to us and always has our best interests in mind. 

History shows the government should always without question be trusted. They are great. 

I’m also going to get caught up to date on my vaccines because why would anyone want to make us sick? 

It’s time to trust all science just like we should trust the government. 

I started drinking fluoride again because the government recommends it and I got this amazing fluoridated toothpaste as well to help make my teeth strong. 

I’ve started consuming genetically modified foods because they are definitely the same as organic foods. 

Alcohol is part of living our best life so I’m now drinking daily as well. Cigarettes are legal too so they must be good for me. 

Most importantly I watch television and get all my information from the mainstream media. 

They are wonderful at getting us factual information and I love how they work directly with the government to bring us truth and tell us how to live our lives. 

I want to be just like everyone else which is another reason to mask up. 

I love standing on all the little signs in the stores that alert me to where I should be so I social distance properly in an effort to keep everyone else safe. It’s also quite fun to follow all the arrows in these stores that direct you where to go. 

It’s like, “whoa where are you taking me next.” It’s an exhilarating ride. 

I’m also sorry to everyone, I’ve posted a lot of things that have been debunked by fact checkers so I’m very sorry I was wrong and I’m glad these reputable sources of factual information were able to correct me. It’s good knowing facebook wants us all to have the most up to date and accurate information. 

Anyway who’s ready for this fast tracked covid vaccine? 

I think the most exciting part is getting an untested vaccine that contains aborted foetal DNA, it’s like we are pioneers of the scientific future and we are doing our part to humanity to volunteer as tributes for this vaccine. 

Not to mention we can probably get the microchip at the same time so the government can keep us safe by monitoring every move we make. 

Plus with the cashless society coming we will need to be good, follow orders so we get paid via our chip so I really want to make an effort to be the best citizen I can. 

It’s all about the new normal we all will help to create. 

It’s amazing how quickly everyone has conformed and it makes you realise how much everyone must really care about each other. I mean why else would people who are morbidly obese, grabbing fast food and stopping at the liquor store also be in a mask? 

Obviously everyone cares deeply about health and staying healthy. 

Stop being selfish and just do as you’re told, are we not all in this together? I mean how great is the new world order for uniting us all and bringing us closer together? 

Gives me goosebumps to feel so loved by those in control. 💞💞💞

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, st.bangkok said:

I’ve decided to wear a mask....

I’ve seen the light and it’s obvious I was wrong. 

Masks prevent viruses but also are very safe. I’ve decided to wear my mask at all times. I wear it in the store, in my car, on the beach and I’ll even wear it at home. 

I’ve started wearing condoms at all times as well because protection at all times is very important. 

If I’ve learned anything it’s that our government loves us, never ever lies to us and always has our best interests in mind. 

History shows the government should always without question be trusted. They are great. 

I’m also going to get caught up to date on my vaccines because why would anyone want to make us sick? 

It’s time to trust all science just like we should trust the government. 

I started drinking fluoride again because the government recommends it and I got this amazing fluoridated toothpaste as well to help make my teeth strong. 

I’ve started consuming genetically modified foods because they are definitely the same as organic foods. 

Alcohol is part of living our best life so I’m now drinking daily as well. Cigarettes are legal too so they must be good for me. 

Most importantly I watch television and get all my information from the mainstream media. 

They are wonderful at getting us factual information and I love how they work directly with the government to bring us truth and tell us how to live our lives. 

I want to be just like everyone else which is another reason to mask up. 

I love standing on all the little signs in the stores that alert me to where I should be so I social distance properly in an effort to keep everyone else safe. It’s also quite fun to follow all the arrows in these stores that direct you where to go. 

It’s like, “whoa where are you taking me next.” It’s an exhilarating ride. 

I’m also sorry to everyone, I’ve posted a lot of things that have been debunked by fact checkers so I’m very sorry I was wrong and I’m glad these reputable sources of factual information were able to correct me. It’s good knowing facebook wants us all to have the most up to date and accurate information. 

Anyway who’s ready for this fast tracked covid vaccine? 

I think the most exciting part is getting an untested vaccine that contains aborted foetal DNA, it’s like we are pioneers of the scientific future and we are doing our part to humanity to volunteer as tributes for this vaccine. 

Not to mention we can probably get the microchip at the same time so the government can keep us safe by monitoring every move we make. 

Plus with the cashless society coming we will need to be good, follow orders so we get paid via our chip so I really want to make an effort to be the best citizen I can. 

It’s all about the new normal we all will help to create. 

It’s amazing how quickly everyone has conformed and it makes you realise how much everyone must really care about each other. I mean why else would people who are morbidly obese, grabbing fast food and stopping at the liquor store also be in a mask? 

Obviously everyone cares deeply about health and staying healthy. 

Stop being selfish and just do as you’re told, are we not all in this together? I mean how great is the new world order for uniting us all and bringing us closer together? 

Gives me goosebumps to feel so loved by those in control. 💞💞💞

Touching. 

Which government(s) are controlling us? Or is it a global effort? What are they trying to control us to do? Someone mentioned this cashless thing to me the other day. She could not explain why, in this country at least, the government would decimate the economy to maybe drag in a couple more billion from the black economy. Can you please help? 

2 hours ago, The Cat said:

The mate I spoke to the other day had booked Spain for the end of August and as of Thursday he couldn't get his money back because flights were still on and hotel open. 

Anyone who could cancel for a refund and hasn't needs to have a word with themselves.

I’ve booked Canaries for Sept, Oct & Nov. Specially booked flights that were flexible, and hotels can be cancelled up to the day before.Searched around and Whizz air from Luton allow you to pay £40 extra to make their cheapest  flights fully flexible, and you can move them multiple times at a few hours notice. Anyone who books non flexible flights or non cancellation hotels is a plank of the highest order, particularly as the Government are now underwriting travel credit vouchers if companies go bust. 

The no notice move does seem overkill. As if govt wants to remind everyone rather than an actual risk over and above other areas. Still fck the tourist industry eh let’s all get back the office without a mask. Still seems very shambolic inconsistent approach.

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I’ve booked Canaries for Sept, Oct & Nov. Specially booked flights that were flexible, and hotels can be cancelled up to the day before.Searched around and Whizz air from Luton allow you to pay £40 extra to make their cheapest  flights fully flexible, and you can move them multiple times at a few hours notice. Anyone who books non flexible flights or non cancellation hotels is a plank of the highest order, particularly as the Government are now underwriting travel credit vouchers if companies go bust. 

Fair play, sounds like you have it covered. My mate had booked his way before Covid came along so didn't have that opportunity.

48 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Fair play, sounds like you have it covered. My mate had booked his way before Covid came along so didn't have that opportunity.

I see, that’s different.

I was lucky in that my March & June flights were cancelled by the airline, so I was due a full refund (although needed charge back to actually get the money). Back in the early summer companies  were desperate for people to rearrange flights and holidays  rather than have a refund, so maybe that’s still an option. 

One thing for sure the Government have royally fucked over the travel industry yet again with this measure. Who will confidently book anywhere knowing that they could do the same to any country at the drop of a hat. 

The inconsistency is laughable. The Government advise is essential travel only to mainland Spain, but not to the islands. Yet you still need to quarantine upon return from the islands. I’ve a mate with a bar in Gran Canaria, they haven’t had a death for 39 days, have 3 people in hospital & 1 in intensive care, that’s not just Gran Can, that’s all the islands.  In the whole of the canaries 17 people under 60 have died from it. If anything they should be quarantining us when we arrive, rather than the other way round. I could travel up to Leicester at the weekend and go to work Monday, but can’t if I’ve travelled somewhere where  it is well under control. Is anyone thinking clearly & actually in charge or are they all running round like headless chickens. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 1

In fairness, if you decide to go abroad at the moment you must know there’s a risk of the situation changing. I’ve got relatively limited sympathy for people who booked a holiday abroad the first chance they got. Obviously if it’s a long-standing booking and you can’t get your money back then you’ll go.

30 minutes ago, benjii said:

In fairness, if you decide to go abroad at the moment you must know there’s a risk of the situation changing. I’ve got relatively limited sympathy for people who booked a holiday abroad the first chance they got. Obviously if it’s a long-standing booking and you can’t get your money back then you’ll go.

if it is along term booking, there would have been ample opportunity to cancel and get all/virtually all your money back at the start of this

Companies haven't made cancelling easy or with out penalties. I can't blame anyone with a booking for taking a chance that it would be ok, but equally there was always this risk that this would happen which they had to accept. My mate has now moved his year long booking at the cost of £200.

1 hour ago, benjii said:

Indeed. I jumped on a Ryan Air flight (booked mid-June) to Ibiza last week. I knew the risks and was prepared to take them. But with return flights costing £60 each and free cancellation on hotels, it was worth the risk. Those that can work from home, won't have an issue with the 14 day quarantine on return. 

I was shocked at how serious the Spanish take on Covid-19 is. They are way more stricter than us. The only people seeming to break the rules out there were the British tourists. It feels safer out there, than it does back here TBH

Edited by Johnny Bognor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fan The Flames said:

People just won't quarantine, what's/who's stopping them.

The whole things a farce. My snap dragon doesn’t need to quarantine, she’s received an email from the NHS saying she’s exempt. Nothing about partners or others living with her. The way she reads it, after returning from Spain, she can go to work, the 2 children we live with can go to work (they’re not coming away with us), but I have to quarantine. I guess the virus only attacks certain professions. One thing for sure, if by some miracle we catch it on a safer Island than Britain, she’ll do more damage and infect more people working in a hospital, than I will in my job. 

Still, the scientists know best. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Batman said:

if it is along term booking, there would have been ample opportunity to cancel and get all/virtually all your money back at the start of this

That’s a load of billhooks. If your venue is open and operating you won’t get your money back. And why should you?

Quarantine if you're flying back from the mainland is fair enough but making people do it from the islands where there is less Covid than over here makes no sense at all. It's a typical lazy, ill-thought out policy of this government. Boris's lack of attention to detail messing things up yet again.

If we are going to stop our economy getting completely ruined by this virus we have to be cleverer and more flexible than this. There are a lot of people's livelihoods depending on the tourism industry.

12 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Quarantine if you're flying back from the mainland is fair enough but making people do it from the islands where there is less Covid than over here makes no sense at all. It's a typical lazy, ill-thought out policy of this government. Boris's lack of attention to detail messing things up yet again.

If we are going to stop our economy getting completely ruined by this virus we have to be cleverer and more flexible than this. There are a lot of people's livelihoods depending on the tourism industry.

I thought the Spain quarantine decision was made jointly by the UK Government and the 3 Devolved Nations, so aren't Johnson, Sturgeon, Drakeford and Foster "messing up" together on this one?

24 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

That’s a load of billhooks. If your venue is open and operating you won’t get your money back. And why should you?

How come I booked a holiday in September (for jul this year)and was able to cancel and get a refund mid March

My in-laws also managed the same, no real drama

Now, if you are an idiot and missed the chance to cancel your long-term booking in good time (as we entered a once in a 100 years, global pandemic), no one else to blame really.

You are an even bigger moron if you book a holiday during a pandemic

Edited by Batman

16 minutes ago, trousers said:

I thought the Spain quarantine decision was made jointly by the UK Government and the 3 Devolved Nations, so aren't Johnson, Sturgeon, Drakeford and Foster "messing up" together on this one?

Aren't Scotland, Wales and NI co-ordinating with each though? 

55 minutes ago, Batman said:

How come I booked a holiday in September (for jul this year)and was able to cancel and get a refund mid March

My in-laws also managed the same, no real drama

Now, if you are an idiot and missed the chance to cancel your long-term booking in good time (as we entered a once in a 100 years, global pandemic), no one else to blame really.

You are an even bigger moron if you book a holiday during a pandemic

You really are a supercilious Bratman

Just because you and someone you know could get a refund doesn’t mean that everyone can. Just once, try to look at the wider picture.

2 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Because the FCO have stated that you should not travel to those destinations, which will therefore invalidate your insurance.  

https://www.abta.com/help-and-complaints/frequently-asked-questions/foreign-and-commonwealth-office-advising-against

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain

Edited by Weston Super Saint

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The whole things a farce. My snap dragon doesn’t need to quarantine, she’s received an email from the NHS saying she’s exempt. Nothing about partners or others living with her. The way she reads it, after returning from Spain, she can go to work, the 2 children we live with can go to work (they’re not coming away with us), but I have to quarantine. I guess the virus only attacks certain professions. One thing for sure, if by some miracle we catch it on a safer Island than Britain, she’ll do more damage and infect more people working in a hospital, than I will in my job. 

One thing's for sure, if you do travel to Spain and catch the virus after the FCO have stated you shouldn't go there, then your insurance will be invalid.  Fingers crossed if that happens you don't end up in a Spanish hospital as the bills will rack up pretty quickly!

21 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

One thing's for sure, if you do travel to Spain and catch the virus after the FCO have stated you shouldn't go there, then your insurance will be invalid.  Fingers crossed if that happens you don't end up in a Spanish hospital as the bills will rack up pretty quickly!

It may have changed but the FOC advice was for mainland Spain, not the Canaries. You have to quarantine, but insurance is still valid. Its part of the Government’s joined up thinking.......

Just read that they’ve now changed the advise. After representations from the Spanish, travel companies & MP’s that it was ridiculous to include the islands for quarantine, but not FOC advice, especially when the virus is more under control than uk, the government have fixed this inconsistency, not by relaxing the 14 days, but by advising against travel there now. 

I won’t cancel just yet, as they’ll probably change their mind by Friday. 

3 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Because the FCO have stated that you should not travel to those destinations, which will therefore invalidate your insurance.  

https://www.abta.com/help-and-complaints/frequently-asked-questions/foreign-and-commonwealth-office-advising-against

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain

I meant “why should you get your money back?”

6 hours ago, aintforever said:

Yeah the only defence I've seen of this ludicrous approach is that people from mainland Spain might travel to the Islands and then travel over here. I think it's just a lame excuse for not having the ability or willingness to amend a form to be able to differentiate and identify a traveller from the mainland to one from an Island thousands of miles away but part of the same country. As others have said the whole thing is a farce anyway as if you don't want to you won't isolate anyway and will have minimal chance of getting caught.

In other news I see Malta (where you are allowed to travel to and from without quarantining) are planning on a series of music festivals in August and September. Thousands of young people travelling from all over the continent and beyond to carefully socially distance with masks and visors on whilst out of their heads on drugs and alcohol and dancing wildly to music.

Edited by stknowle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I meant “why should you get your money back?”

Is the answer, because those are the rules for ABTA members?

Not really sure what your argument is.  The venues may well be open and operating in Spain (or any other country), but if the FCO is saying do not travel there, then ABTA members have to honour that and refund customers who have bookings but cannot travel because they are told not to!  Seems pretty simple to me and a perfectly good answer to why you should get your money back!

39 minutes ago, Batman said:

Do you need to quarantine if you travel from Gibraltar?

Makes it even more bizarre if not

Apparently not - unless you've been to mainland Spain!

https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2020/07/27/gibraltar-travellers-will-not-be-quarantined-in-uk-provided-they-havent-been-in-spain/

Presumably it's becuase the virus can't negotiate the tricky border between Spain and Gib!

11 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Last time I looked it was the Tory government making the decisions not the scientists.

6 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

Last time I looked it was the Tory government making the decisions not the scientists.

What are they basing their decisions on? 

But Johnson isn’t exactly covering himself with glory lately. The great lady would have handled this so much better. 

6 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

Grant Schapps made it clear yesterday that the scientist was behind this, he said "Chris Whitty, the chief medical officer, was very clear with us that he was concerned about the data..."

Either way its a lazy & stupid decision - putting the Canary Islands, off the coast of Africa, in the same basket as pockets of mainland Spain is nuts. I'd feel significantly safer on a beach Gran Canaria than a beach in Bournemouth. 

Edited by egg
  • Like 1

The other side of

10 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2020/07/27/gibraltar-travellers-will-not-be-quarantined-in-uk-provided-they-havent-been-in-spain/

Presumably it's becuase the virus can't negotiate the tricky border between Spain and Gib!

The extension of that is that Spain could decide that because of the pockets of cases over here in Leicester, Oldham etc, that anyone travelling to Britain from Spain must quarantine. They could be as daft as us and decide that Britain includes Gibraltar, which would on workers going between Gib and the mainland. Nuts. 

12 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

There are so many examples of this sort of thing. You can get the virus at Tesco, or in the park, but not if you are a copper patrolling with several other cppers arresting/protecting people from themselves in the park. Anyone who believes this virus is anything other than a flu strain (with a similar death rate) is brainwashed into project fears. It is BS. It is to slowly scare you into allowing them to take away your fredoms for the greater good. And most will lap it up and gladly tip toe into a totalitarian system. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

To be fair, you can only get it in Tescos from last Friday when masks were made compulsory - except if you don't have one, then that's fine because you have money, right and they want your money!

Luckily, before last week it was only in gyms and swimming pools and they were closed.  They're open now so it's moved out and gone into the shops!  Makes perfect sense!

You’ve got to isolate for 10 days now if you have symptoms, instead of the 7 they’ve insisted on since March. Thank god the virus now knows it’s July and will only be hanging around for 10 days from now on. If there has been a more incompetent response to a major issue from any government in history, I’d love to see it. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Is the answer, because those are the rules for ABTA members?

Not really sure what your argument is.  The venues may well be open and operating in Spain (or any other country), but if the FCO is saying do not travel there, then ABTA members have to honour that and refund customers who have bookings but cannot travel because they are told not to!  Seems pretty simple to me and a perfectly good answer to why you should get your money back!

What is so special about ABTA? You seem to assume that every trip abroad is covered by it, which is not the case by a long way.

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

What is so special about ABTA? You seem to assume that every trip abroad is covered by it, which is not the case by a long way.

Unsure what you are getting at..

if you booked a holiday last year for this summer, there have been ample opportunity to use your own judgement as we entered a once in a century event, to cancel and re-coup your money. If you missed that window, then no one else to blame

If you booked a holiday during a pandemic, life lessons are needed

if you book anything (pandemic or not) without any form of refund facility - you take your chances

Edited by Batman

6 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Nothing special about ABTA at all.

Your original question asked 'why' people should get their money back.  I've given an answer to that question based on ABTA rules and FCO advice.

If anyone is booking a holiday that is not covered by ABTA or ATOL, then there is absolutely no reason why they should be given a refund, more fool them for not wanting that extra protection!

22 hours ago, Batman said:

Unsure what you are getting at..

if you booked a holiday last year for this summer, there have been ample opportunity to use your own judgement as we entered a once in a century event, to cancel and re-coup your money. If you missed that window, then no one else to blame

If you booked a holiday during a pandemic, life lessons are needed

if you book anything (pandemic or not) without any form of refund facility - you take your chances

For many, if not most, cancellation with a refund was not an option. Why is this so hard to understand?

Lol, this making things up on the fly stance that the Government is taking isn't working out particularly well!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53602362

The latest announcement in detail:

• People in Greater Manchester, Blackburn with Darwen, Burnley, Hyndburn, Pendle, Rossendale, Bradford, Calderdale, Kirklees and Leicester cannot mix with other households (apart from those in their support bubbles) in private homes or gardens
  • People in those areas can only go to pubs, restaurants and other hospitality venues with other members of their household

So you can't have a BBQ in the garden with your family (if they live in seperate houses) on what is forecast to be one of the hottest weekends of the year, but you CAN go to the pub with potentially hundreds of strangers!  A cynical person might suggest this stance is aimed at making sure the tills keep ringing!

But..... That's only if you and your family live up North.  If you live in Manchester and your family live in Birmingham, Bristol, Southampton etc, fill your boots!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Nothing special about ABTA at all.

Your original question asked 'why' people should get their money back.  I've given an answer to that question based on ABTA rules and FCO advice.

If anyone is booking a holiday that is not covered by ABTA or ATOL, then there is absolutely no reason why they should be given a refund, more fool them for not wanting that extra protection!

You cannot have been unaware of the many millions who are struggling to get any sort of refund instead of a credit note? 

’more fool them’ applies more to those who voted in this load of incompetents as a government. They are the ones who are running around like headless flies with no clues and no strategy.

2 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

For many, if not most, cancellation with a refund was not an option. Why is this so hard to understand?

This is simply not true!

If your holiday was cancelled by the airline / holiday company due to Government restrictions on travel then you were legally entitled to a refund - I understand that some company's like Ryanair have tried to avoid paying refunds but that doesn't mean you don't have a legal right to one!

If, on the other hand, YOU cancelled your holiday (whether or not this was due to Government restrictions), then you have no right to a refund.

The simple answer is / was to wait for your holiday provider to cancel - or, as in some cases, materially change the aspects of the holiday which again would mean you were entitled to a full refund (re-booking is/was also available for anyone choosing to do so).

3 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

You cannot have been unaware of the many millions who are struggling to get any sort of refund instead of a credit note? 

’more fool them’ applies more to those who voted in this load of incompetents as a government. They are the ones who are running around like headless flies with no clues and no strategy.

Again, 'struggling to get a refund' is not the same as 'legally entitled to a refund'.  It may just take longer.  

20 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Lol, this making things up on the fly stance that the Government is taking isn't working out particularly well!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53602362

So you can't have a BBQ in the garden with your family (if they live in seperate houses) on what is forecast to be one of the hottest weekends of the year, but you CAN go to the pub with potentially hundreds of strangers!  A cynical person might suggest this stance is aimed at making sure the tills keep ringing!

But..... That's only if you and your family live up North.  If you live in Manchester and your family live in Birmingham, Bristol, Southampton etc, fill your boots!

Conspiracy theorists might also indicate that it is Eid this weekend.

And the rule appears to be that if you live inside the affected areas you cannot mix with another household, even if they live outside the areas. This is realy peeing us off today as it is our daughter's birthday; she lives in GM ( inside ) and we live on the Lancashire coast ( outside ).

Edited by badgerx16

• Lighthouse changed the title to Coronavirus