Squad Numbers

Paulwantsapint81

Armstrong and Broja's numbers have not been announced yet. I'd be surprised if Armstrong was not number 9.

The rest of the 1st team's are on the club's website...

https://www.southamptonfc.com/first-team

Normally the club write an article with a list of them all shortly before the season and will include academy players who have a number. They haven't done that quite yet this summer.

1 minute ago, The Kraken said:

Vestergaard at 4 and Romeu at 6 should swap IMO.

Yes MLG, I know there are variants of “traditional” numbers. But for me, 4 is always a defensive midfielder and 6 is a centre back.

I wasn't going to argue as I agree, I also like 4 as a DM and 5 and 6 as centre backs.

5 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Vestergaard at 4 and Romeu at 6 should swap IMO.

Yes MLG, I know there are variants of “traditional” numbers. But for me, 4 is always a defensive midfielder and 6 is a centre back.

It always used to irritate me that Yoshida wore number 3. Thats a left backs number 

Edited by Turkish

Just now, 23rdSaint said:

For fellow squad number geeks, this is an interesting watch: 

It was question today on the chase, a traditional centre forward shirt number was number 7, 9 or another one

they got it wrong 🙄

Yan Valery was 18 through all of pre-season and the last season or two, but when he played the other day had reverted back to his number 43 shirt.

Would be intrigued to know why Fraser Forster has 44.

Redmond isn't good enough to be an 11.

Wasn't Asamoah Gyan of Sunderland number 3 or something?

Gareth Bale currently number 50 for Real Madrid.

10 hours ago, St.Jeweller said:

will our two Armstrongs have their 1st initials on the back of the shirts aswell ?

Not necessarily. If the club have already sold any number of Armstrong 17 shirts, it could be a bit awkward. When the Nevilles both played for Man Utd, Gary had G.Neville while Phil had just Neville.

10 hours ago, egg said:

Yep, Argentina. They did it across a few world cups. Ossie Ardiles wore 1 or 2 I think. 

And Italy did something similar in the late 80s and early 90s, where defenders got about 2-8 in alphabetical order, midfield next, and forwards the highest numbers. Think Baggio ended this in 94 by wanting 10.

15 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Yan Valery was 18 through all of pre-season and the last season or two, but when he played the other day had reverted back to his number 43 shirt.

Similarly, Djenepo has been in 19 all pre-season but is still 12 on the OS.

On 10/08/2021 at 23:07, egg said:

Yep, Argentina. They did it across a few world cups. Ossie Ardiles wore 1 or 2 I think. 

I might have misremembered this, but I thought it was Argentina in the 1982 World Cup and it was a f*** up. They wrongly submitted their squad list in alphabetical order of surname. Ardiles was therefore no.1.

15 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

I might have misremembered this, but I thought it was Argentina in the 1982 World Cup and it was a f*** up. They wrongly submitted their squad list in alphabetical order of surname. Ardiles was therefore no.1.

Just looked it up and it was actually over 4 world cups, 74-86. Found this article https://www.squadnumbers.com/2014/10/18/alphabetical-numbering-systems-at-the-world-cup/

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SaintBobby said:

My memory may be playing tricks but I for some reason I remember Ardiles wearing 2 for Argentina and running the games from midfield.

1. Alex McCarthy
2. Kyle Walker-Peters
5. Jack Stephens
6. Oriol Romeu
7. Shane Long
8. James Ward-Prowse
9. Adam Armstrong
10. Ché Adams
11. Nathan Redmond
14. Michael Obafemi
15. Romain Perraud
17. Stuart Armstrong
18. Armando Broja
19. Moussa Djenepo
20. Will Smallbone
21. Tino Livramento
22. Mohammed Salisu
23. Nathan Tella
24. Mohamed Elyounoussi
27. Ibrahima Diallo
32. Theo Walcott
35. Jan Bednarek
41. Harry Lewis
43. Yan Valery
44. Fraser Forster
45. Sam McQueen

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

1. Alex McCarthy
2. Kyle Walker-Peters
5. Jack Stephens
6. Oriol Romeu
7. Shane Long
8. James Ward-Prowse
9. Adam Armstrong
10. Ché Adams
11. Nathan Redmond
14. Michael Obafemi
15. Romain Perraud
17. Stuart Armstrong
18. Armando Broja
19. Moussa Djenepo
20. Will Smallbone
21. Tino Livramento
22. Mohammed Salisu
23. Nathan Tella
24. Mohamed Elyounoussi
27. Ibrahima Diallo
32. Theo Walcott
35. Jan Bednarek
41. Harry Lewis
43. Yan Valery
44. Fraser Forster
45. Sam McQueen

Who was #4, MLG?

1 hour ago, mcbendy said:

Interesting that McQueen gets a number...

He's a contracted player, why wouldn't he get a number. Its actually great to see Saints standing by the lad who has had a tough time recovering from a bad injury. Ralph said if he played again it would be a miracle, but they are giving him the opportunity to prove he can do it. Some of the negative comments I just read on Social Media by so called Saints fans are a fucking disgrace. Best of luck Sam, miracles can happen, usually because of hard work, dedication and self belief (not through divine intervention). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VectisSaint said:

He's a contracted player, why wouldn't he get a number. Its actually great to see Saints standing by the lad who has had a tough time recovering from a bad injury. Ralph said if he played again it would be a miracle, but they are giving him the opportunity to prove he can do it. Some of the negative comments I just read on Social Media by so called Saints fans are a fucking disgrace. Best of luck Sam, miracles can happen, usually because of hard work, dedication and self belief (not through divine intervention). 

That's a strong reaction to someone simply commenting that it's "interesting" he has a number. 

It interests me too, but not in a negative way. I wander if the lad is making better progress than we had hoped? Is he the reason we're not looking at another LB? 

2 minutes ago, egg said:

That's a strong reaction to someone simply commenting that it's "interesting" he has a number. 

It interests me too, but not in a negative way. I wander if the lad is making better progress than we had hoped? Is he the reason we're not looking at another LB? 

No, it wasn't meant like that, as I said my reaction was to the comments on Social Media. 

Just now, VectisSaint said:

No, it wasn't meant like that, as I said my reaction was to the comments on Social Media. 

Fair enough, misunderstanding. Regardless, let's hope Sam can get back playing somewhere and sometime soon 👍

• Like 1