Oriol Romeu - Ordinary bloke - Top man!

Charlie Wayman

Really nice film on the OS today of an interview taking place with Oriol and his new Classic Porsche out in the New Forest. Turns out he has a Motor Home, loves classic cars and frequently drives home to Spain in them. To cap it all he has just had a new arrival in the family. Hard to imagine a more grounded player in this modern age where flash and glitz seem to dominate most minds.

Solid as a rock on and off the field, rarely if ever expresses dissatisfaction with his life and just gets on with what he is paid to do always with a broad smile. How can we not love this guy? We are fortunate indeed to have him here playing for the Saints.

What I love most is his choice of classic cars, a Porsche of course - what else - but a well selected highly regarded collector's model at that. This chap knows his onions. 

• Like 16

7 minutes ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

Definitely seems to be one of the good, or at least interesting and more curious players. Does the sort of things I would choose if I had oodles of dough. 

Absolutely. I'd have loads of classics if I had the cash. I also love the idea of a wealthy footballer cruising down to Spain in a campervan rather than the usual lounge at the airport and first class travel. Good lad. 

• Like 5

He does seem a really down to earth guy, not the stereotypical footballer.  A few years ago he was posting videos on instagram of his walks around Southampton, Winchester, New Forest etc describing the places and their history as he walked. 
Sort of bloke you feel you could bump into, have a pint and still be chatting hours later.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Wurzel said:

He does seem a really down to earth guy, not the stereotypical footballer.  A few years ago he was posting videos on instagram of his walks around Southampton, Winchester, New Forest etc describing the places and their history as he walked. 
Sort of bloke you feel you could bump into, have a pint and still be chatting hours later.

Funnily enough, he is that. But I promised not to talk about it.

• Confused 1

I'm a classic car owner, but its not a 911.

It's my best mates dream car though! I've a few old volvo's and worked with 60's ferrari's, 70's chevrolet's, db2's and such. I know a good restored car and he's bought a really nice one period correct. So yeah he's not just gone and spunked his money.

He reads loads of books and is really into culture and stuff, that I don't know about. You really get the sense he's been brought up well and wants to work hard and then enjoy what he owns. Fair play to the man. Does it for the club, and is proud doing it. 

Think we could have worse players taking our money if your going to use the footballers wage card.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Wurzel said:

He seems a top chap, takes a genuine interest in local area, walks the jurassic coast footpaths, certainly not a typical modern day footballer. 

On 09/09/2021 at 20:02, Charlie Wayman said:

Really nice film on the OS today of an interview taking place with Oriol and his new Classic Porsche out in the New Forest. Turns out he has a Motor Home, loves classic cars and frequently drives home to Spain in them. To cap it all he has just had a new arrival in the family. Hard to imagine a more grounded player in this modern age where flash and glitz seem to dominate most minds.

Solid as a rock on and off the field, rarely if ever expresses dissatisfaction with his life and just gets on with what he is paid to do always with a broad smile. How can we not love this guy? We are fortunate indeed to have him here playing for the Saints.

What I love most is his choice of classic cars, a Porsche of course - what else - but a well selected highly regarded collector's model at that. This chap knows his onions. 

Why is he a ordinary bloke 🤔 

A big shout out to Oriel for that performance yesterday. It was one of his best ever in a Saints shirt and shows those few fans who seemed to have written him off how wrong they are. Romeu gets few headlines which may be a blessing as it keeps him under the radar of other clubs. Now he is getting back up to full fitness we are starting to see him at his best and I believe he would walk into most sides in the Premier League. 

• Like 1

His injury last season was one of the main reasons for our plummet from the top half of the league. That's how good he is and how important to us he is.......bonus that he seems to be a top bloke as well. 

We are lucky to have two top class CMs in our team in him and JWP

• Like 2

You don't progress through Barca's academy for being shit. He was a good signing back in the Koeman days, but he's matured and developed so much over those years. Gives us that presence that Wanyama used to provide, he's as good as he was in his pomp for us at the moment.

Not sure what his contract situ is, but I'd look to be signing him up longer term.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Turkish said:

Arguably our most important player. Big loss when he was out, makes us tick, gives us that aggression and and bite in midfield, been at the club a long time and all round good guy. Key player for us.

Agreed. It's also a key position in Ralph-ball, really surprised we didn't prioritise cover.