Russia

whelk

Referendum on Moscow to officially become territory of Wales  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Referendum on Moscow to officially become territory of Wales

• Da!
    • Net!

Reddit has a few videos going around, including one of a dead civilian and a dead Russian soldier laying next to each other. Apparently both killed by the Russians even though a couple of soldiers were trying to help the civilians - the other soldier helping was wounded and escaped. Looks legit from what i could see.

35 minutes ago, Johnny Bognor said:

As far as I remember, the whole point of the EU was to prevent another European war.

As this has clearly failed, should the EU now be disbanded?

Posting on two different threads only reinforces the idiocy of this statement.

The EU was founded with, partly, the intent of removing the threat of another war between France and Germany, given that most European wars since the fall of the Roman Empire have involved those countries, or their precursors, but especially WW1 and WW2.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skintsaint said:

Reddit has a few videos going around, including one of a dead civilian and a dead Russian soldier laying next to each other. Apparently both killed by the Russians even though a couple of soldiers were trying to help the civilians - the other soldier helping was wounded and escaped. Looks legit from what i could see.

They would still be alive if the Russians had stayed out. Blue on Blue Russian casualties are sad for their families, but entirely the fault of Putin and his enablers.

23 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

Russian tanks in the streets, and how does the West defiantly fight back?

Our media suddenly starts pronouncing Kiev differently to how the Russians say it...

If that plucky act of defiance doesn't halt the tanks, I'm not sure what fucking can. 😕

That's as daft as Delldays' cake and pronouns argument.

4 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Further to the above...

The dealing if Italian luxury goods and Belgium diamonds are exempt from any EU sanctions against Russia (according to reports)

They are pleading that they are a "special case". If everybody claiming an exemption had it granted, there would be no sanctons at all. There is no such thing as a one-way injunction.

12 minutes ago, trousers said:

image.png.3aef6b801f26f1a9ed30bfc6d6754206.png

Quickest "World War" ever....?

Getting bogged down in a drawn out war would be a disaster for Putin, I think he might have been caught slightly off guard by the level of resistance that's been shown. He's been appealing to the Ukraine military to overthrow the govornment too.

3 hours ago, rallyboy said:

Russian tanks in the streets, and how does the West defiantly fight back?

Our media suddenly starts pronouncing Kiev differently to how the Russians say it...

If that plucky act of defiance doesn't halt the tanks, I'm not sure what fucking can. 😕

While western response has been shameful imo. What has happened to us? 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, buctootim said:

While western response has been shameful imo. What has happened to us? 

Have you seen the state of discourse over the last 5+ years? (You are not daft, so that is obviously a question that does not require an answer)

That with the fallout if Afghanistan and Iraq (which is not an excuse for most of the EU)

We are now weak, lazy, represented by idiots who have visual horizon of about 3 years, if that.

UK really stepping up eh? Lots of Churchillian words eh Boris? What’s that there’s the son of a KGB agent in the Lords. Bought and Paid for M’lud. 

What did the Americans say. “The UK is not a reliable ally. Swimming in Russian money”

Fuck the Russians and the Oligarch funded Tories.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

They’d need to cut a lot more than just one. The internet is derived from a military specification that allows for widespread disruption to signal paths.

A few years ago I was in north west Ireland where I could see a cable laying ship a few miles out. I was told that the fibre optic cable it was laying had the capacity to handle all the transatlantic traffic between Europe and North America.

I was trying to reiterate from memory. Our telecommunications are vulnerable is my point and Russian activity has concerned the MOD.

15 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Don't think we need to worry too much about their ability to 'hack the innernetz' then if they can't even do a simple Google search to find an already existing map of our undersea cable network :mcinnes:

spacer.png

If the chief of defense is concerned they're mapping our submarine cables, the publicly available maps are clearly not sufficient  :mcinnes:

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Warriorsaint said:

UK really stepping up eh? Lots of Churchillian words eh Boris? What’s that there’s the son of a KGB agent in the Lords. Bought and Paid for M’lud. 

What did the Americans say. “The UK is not a reliable ally. Swimming in Russian money”

Fuck the Russians and the Oligarch funded Tories.

Yeah it's difficult to take Johnson's claims that no country could be doing more to stop the flow of Russian money than us seriously, when you consider that this time 2 years ago, having refused to publish the security report on Russian interference in the UK until after the GE, he was casually dismissing those who tried to raise concerns about its contents as bitter remoaners who were only trying to reverse the Brexit decision. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

So the UN security council tries to pass a resolution censuring Russia's actions, but it's vetoed by Russia themselves - who are currently chairing the council.

Is anyone else seeing the major flaws in the UN's setup here?

An organisation created by the 5 major allies that won WW2, ( and yes that does include France ). They made the rules and gave themselves permanent control of the General Assembly, and is why the US has a history of blocking resolutions condemning Israel.

Edited by badgerx16

Why haven't we seized Abromovich's assets yet?

Would love to see Boris in charge of Chelsea, they'd be League 1 in 2 seasons :) 

I get the slowly, slowly approach to some of the sanctions being talked about as we have economies throughout the world to protect, but a blanket ban on all Russian sporting / sponsored teams isn't going to upset the world order, but taking away the playthings of the oligarchs will definitely increase the pressure on Putin - F1 teams, cycling teams, horse racing, football teams etc.

7 hours ago, trousers said:

So that we don't turn into Russia and start banning free speech...? #riseabove

He has a point though. Free speech doesn’t  extend to putting out propagandist bs of our enemy in a time of war. I don’t know anyone who would take it seriously. Alex L maybe

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Because Russia invaded a non Nato country?

Did the threat change when Nato invaded a non Nato country?

The threat has changed because Putin is acting completely irrationally. As Boris says in that video, we have assumed that this sort of war was a thing of the past. To be honest, I didn’t expect to see two developed nations in Europe go to war like this again.

I fail to see what Russia could possibly gain from doing this, it just appears that Putin has gone nuts - that’s the really dangerous thing.

2 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Why haven't we seized Abromovich's assets yet?

Would love to see Boris in charge of Chelsea, they'd be League 1 in 2 seasons :) 

I get the slowly, slowly approach to some of the sanctions being talked about as we have economies throughout the world to protect, but a blanket ban on all Russian sporting / sponsored teams isn't going to upset the world order, but taking away the playthings of the oligarchs will definitely increase the pressure on Putin - F1 teams, cycling teams, horse racing, football teams etc.

Boris would concentrate on the womens team and turn them into Wiff Waff champions!!

3 hours ago, whelk said:

President Zelensky is turning out to be a hero. His quote to Americans offering to evacuate him “I need ammunition, not a ride”.

Completely agree, good communicator, calm under fire and a really good rallying point for his country/people. Wonder how many volunteers he'll get after his call for foreign fighters. Wouldn't be surprised if there's a number from the Baltic countries, Poland, and any of the other countries formerly in the USSR.

55 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

You seem to have morphed from Delldays/Batman into a Putin Cyber Bot spreading anti EU/NATO propaganda. Perhaps you have been a Russian Plant all along?

Brilliant. You wanted this in government

Screenshot_2022-02-25-14-01-20-47_6012fa4d4ddec268fc5c7112cbb265e7.jpg

Edited by AlexLaw76

Then you really haven't been paying much attention!

Putin is upset with the former Russian states that gained independence and are trying to move away from the 'Motherland'.  Those that tow the line and have sympathetic leaders are fine, those that don't will be 'taught a lesson' by Putin.  Regime changes will be forced (or so he thinks) and sympathetic leaders put in place.

That's what he has to gain, the same as 2014 when he 'took back' Crimea.  He then guarantees security for his gas pipelines into Europe.

58 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Then you really haven't been paying much attention!

Putin is upset with the former Russian states that gained independence and are trying to move away from the 'Motherland'.  Those that tow the line and have sympathetic leaders are fine, those that don't will be 'taught a lesson' by Putin.  Regime changes will be forced (or so he thinks) and sympathetic leaders put in place.

That's what he has to gain, the same as 2014 when he 'took back' Crimea.  He then guarantees security for his gas pipelines into Europe.

They arent former Russian states, at least not in the past 100 years . Too much trading propaganda and not enough history  

Edited by buctootim
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Brilliant. You wanted this in government

Screenshot_2022-02-25-14-01-20-47_6012fa4d4ddec268fc5c7112cbb265e7.jpg

That is Diane Abbot, not a Labour Government. Thanks for the mention though, I guess it keeps you away from knocking Johnny Foreigner for a while. How do you feel about the Russian money that has been flooding into London under your Tory government for years? 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

That is Diane Abbot, not a Labour Government. Thanks for the mention though, I guess it keeps you away from knocking Johnny Foreigner for a while. How do you feel about the Russian money that has been flooding into London under your Tory government for years? 

Is it not too simplistic to separate Diane Abbot and a Labour Government when you would have supported a Labour Government at a time that would have included Diane Abbot?

As someone who has views slightly left of centre, I voted Conservative at the last election due to a ‘better of two evils’ approach that I think a majority (whence the result) followed.