Russia

whelk

Referendum on Moscow to officially become territory of Wales  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Referendum on Moscow to officially become territory of Wales

• Da!
    • Net!

54 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I just think that the vast majority of people have been so comfortable and contented for the vast majority or all of their lives (relatively). For a lot of people their existence doesn't extend much beyond who got kicked out of the x factor this week or who Jordan is dating this month. Many of the British public have very little interest in politics, probably don't even know what NATO is and they certainly don't want to risk their entire way of life being removed to go and defend a country they know barely anything about. Lots of people actually really dislike this country and what it stands for. A small of that is actually justified given how we ceded the moral high ground with things like Iraq. There's been a number of books in recent years about how the West has lost confidence in itself and its ideology and thus I'm not sure that there's a majority who believe that the values that our country stands for is worth fighting for. The tiktok generation and social media idiots will not be baying to go and fight some Russians in Lithuania were Russia to start attacking us I am certain and those people comprise a depressingly large number of the population I am afraid. 

Exactly.

A NATO hating leadership in the UK was a general election away. Some/many on here even championed that possible scenario (and still wish grandpa had won)

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, kyle04 said:

Poor bugger, driven mad by the loss of his balloons in the storm, looking for someone to blame. I hope he calms down.

Aye, beyond help now I think. If he'd nailed them down like was suggested it would never have come to this. Poor Whelk. 

9 minutes ago, egg said:

Rhetoric and troop gathering was inevitable. Hopefully Putin won't have a crack at Lithuania/Estonia/Latvia so we won't need to find out if article 5 gets invoked. That said, I still don't think the West would allow that to lead to WW3, but hopefully the rhetoric etc keeps Putin in check. 

I'll leave the discussion here mate. We undoubtedly want the same outcome, and a back and forth on what may happen if Putin gets even crazier, won't get either of us anywhere 👍

The alternative to troop gathering and then not adhering to article 5 is to then withdraw all the troops and run away.

I wonder what the Generals will do if they are told to mass their troops on the border and then turn tail and run home, I imagine they'll be over the moon!

2 minutes ago, egg said:

Aye, beyond help now I think. If he'd nailed them down like was suggested it would never have come to this. Poor Whelk. 

I'm sure it's no comfort to say " I told you so", the cellotape solution was a disaster waiting to happen. If only,  if only....

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

How often has that gone perfectly to plan? The French resistance, the Korean War, Vietnam, Russia in Afghanistan, USA in Afghanistan, USA in Iraq, the frequent flare ups with ISIS and their affiliates in Syria, Lybia, Iraq, the Israeli situation in Gaza and the West bank...

Couldn’t help but read this to the tune of ‘We didn’t start the fire’ by Billy Joel.

1 hour ago, kyle04 said:

Poor bugger, driven mad by the loss of his balloons in the storm, looking for someone to blame. I hope he calms down.

They were 99 red balloons, and today's events triggered painful memories of them.

1 hour ago, whelk said:

I’ll be long gone having died a glorious death taking out 3 Russian tanks before jumping on a grenade to save a young child who had wandered on to the street

I shall read a Commando comic in your honour.

5 hours ago, whelk said:

What is your source that Russia can just take down the internet whenever they choose? Falling for the text book propaganda but keep telling yourself you are the realist. He has got you hook line and sinker

I remember reading last year that the HMS Northumberland, patrolling the UK's submarine cable network, collided with a Russian submarine. Turns out, over the last 20 years, there's been an alarming increase in Russian submarine and underwater activity around our submarine cables bringing strong suspicion they've been mapping our cable network.

Modern underwater lines carry thousands of miles of optical fibre cables that carry our digital data, including internet services and also act as our predominant source of telecommunications. We absolutely know Russia has the capability to cut these cables. Cutting just one of these would crash our economy.

A military response isn’t the only possible solution to this. I think it’s more likely that the solution will come from within Russia.

I can see one - or a group - of the oligarchs arranging to take Putin out if the West inflicts enough financial pain on them. This is Putin’s doing, despite the reservations of some (perhaps many) around him. Sure, he made the oligarchs but they’re just like Putin and Trump - vicious, disloyal and very self-centered. They have really nasty people among their staff.

I’d sanction the living shit out of the oligarchs and see what happens.

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I remember reading last year that the HMS Northumberland, patrolling the UK's submarine cable network, collided with a Russian submarine. Turns out, over the last 20 years, there's been an alarming increase in Russian submarine and underwater activity around our submarine cables bringing strong suspicion they've been mapping our cable network.

Modern underwater lines carry thousands of miles of optical fibre cables that carry our digital data, including internet services and also act as our predominant source of telecommunications. We absolutely know Russia has the capability to cut these cables. Cutting just one of these would crash our economy.

😱

Edited by AlexLaw76

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Don't think we need to worry too much about their ability to 'hack the innernetz' then if they can't even do a simple Google search to find an already existing map of our undersea cable network :mcinnes:

spacer.png

25 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Don't think we need to worry too much about their ability to 'hack the innernetz' then if they can't even do a simple Google search to find an already existing map of our undersea cable network :mcinnes:

spacer.png

To be fair, they would need a much more detailed map than that to locate a cable underwater. Unless that map is to scale and the cables are in fact 300ft wide and bright red.

4 minutes ago, aintforever said:

To be fair, they would need a much more detailed map than that to locate a cable underwater. Unless that map is to scale and the cables are in fact 300ft wide and bright red.

I suspect they know exactly where much of these cables are laid, and have the means to disrupt them 

5 minutes ago, aintforever said:

https://www.submarinecablemap.com/

Even gives the 'landing' points, which must be much, much easier to find than a cable under the sea....

Not rocket science I guess...

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

https://www.submarinecablemap.com/

Even gives the 'landing' points, which must be much, much easier to find than a cable under the sea....

Not rocket science I guess...

Of course it makes it easier, but it would still make sense to do recon to have the exact gps of where they can cut it out at sea away from the UK. 

7 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

BBC reports that the UK say Russia has failed with day 1 plans, then Ukraine say Russians are in the capital the very next line.

If you were to swap Kyiv for London and Russians were in Hounslow trying take Heathrow the Media would report that as them being in the Capital. 

8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

They’d need to cut a lot more than just one. The internet is derived from a military specification that allows for widespread disruption to signal paths.

A few years ago I was in north west Ireland where I could see a cable laying ship a few miles out. I was told that the fibre optic cable it was laying had the capacity to handle all the transatlantic traffic between Europe and North America.

49 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

BBC reports that the UK say Russia has failed with day 1 plans, then Ukraine say Russians are in the capital the very next line.

Two different days, two different locations and two different sources though. Ben Wallace was talking about an airbase outside Kyiv not being taken on day 1. The Ukrainians are reporting tanks in north Kyiv on day2.

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

The idea of cutting just one cable, which can only be accessed by submarine, to crash our economy is a cool plot for a Bond film but I think there are a few more safeguards than that.

Maybe you should let Admiral Sir Tony Radakin know he’s worrying about nothing:

https://news.sky.com/story/russian-submarines-threatening-undersea-network-of-internet-cables-says-uk-defence-chief-sir-tony-radakin-12511437

16 minutes ago, aintforever said:

That’s not the same as saying cutting one cable will cripple our economy though and I never said there was, ‘nothing’ to worry about.

58 minutes ago, aintforever said:

That article does not prove it at all. Nowhere in that article does it say the UK economy would collapse if one cable was cut, like was claimed in the earlier tweet.

Edited by Matthew Le God

54 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

That’s not the same as saying cutting one cable will cripple our economy though and I never said there was, ‘nothing’ to worry about.

It doesn’t say how many they need to cut so we just don’t know. Anyway wether they need to cut one or a few the threat is there.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, trousers said:

Does the Saintsweb powers-that-be have a contingency plan up their sleeves if the internet goes tits up? We'll all need another outlet to spout our usual bollocks ;)

"Let's go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for this all to blow over."

6 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Probably willing to negotiate once they have given up the fight.

The Russian Foreign Minister, Sergei Lavrov, says that negotiations can start once Ukraine has surrendered and agreed to be "de-militarised".

Edited by badgerx16