Saints 2-0 Everton - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

WEll, after watching the game and the highlights on MOTD i was impressed at how we played.  At times we stood back and soaked up their pressure but generally we did very well and the two goals were well taken.  Stuey's shot was a different class, and I am glad Slong got his, normally he would miss these, but popped up in the right place at the right time.

Alot of plaudits on MOTD as well, as should be.  NO Jermaine J - anus to belittle us this week.   Bit disappointed we were not on until 1 hour 10 min mark, but this perhaps shows how much Everton have slipped down the greasy pole, (we are not normally on until the 1 hour + mark anyway, I know, as I usually go straight to 60 mins then look for us.)

Onwards and upwards now, we have 6 potentially winnable games coming up in the prem, but this could be a stepping stone or we could trip up here, as we raise our game against the better sides, and relax against the rest.  

Future is looking ok.  A nice FA cup final I think we would all appreciate, but that's another hurdle, for another day.

• Like 2

I put something on the West Ham cup thread a few days ago but at the risk of repeating myself:

Everton are 10/1 to win the FA cup.

We are 25/1.

Now I am not saying that we are going definitely to win the cup. West ham could beat us in the next round. We could get drawn at Man City, Liverpool or Chelsea in the 6th round even if we beat West Ham.

BUT 

In our current form we could beat anyone .

Does anyone agree with me that the bookies have got it wrong and that we are a seriously good bet at 25/1 for the cup? 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

I put something on the West Ham cup thread a few ago but at of repeating myself:

We are 25/1.

Now I am not saying that we are going to win the cup. West ham could beat us in the next round. We could get drawn at Man City, Liverpool or Chelsea in the 6th round even if we beat West Ham.

BUT 

Does anyone agree with me that the bookies have got it wrong and that we are a seriously good bet at 25/1 for the cup? 

I'd say it's about right. 50-1 would be a good bet

• Like 2

Being at the game I wasn't aware how bad the misses from Tino and Moi were.  Both two yards out, both have to score.   Having said that everything else about our game was wonderful.

It's all been said but my view on the various discussion topics are:

- Stuey man of the match, followed by Romeu then KWP.

- Amazing we now have three strong fullbacks, KWP is best and should play every game.  Tino and Perraud similar level, I suspect will be picked depending who the opposition are.

- Broja frustrated me again by choosing the wrong option.  He's a brilliant prospect but there's a difference between being ruthless and just greedy.  The one where he cut in onto his left foot at the Chapel End should have been laid on a plate for Moi.  

and yes @Tamesaintthose FA Cup odds do look weird.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

I put something on the West Ham cup thread a few days ago but at the risk of repeating myself:

We are 25/1.

Now I am not saying that we are going definitely to win the cup. West ham could beat us in the next round. We could get drawn at Man City, Liverpool or Chelsea in the 6th round even if we beat West Ham.

BUT 

It’s probably down to our respective opponents in the next round. Everton face Boreham Wood. We face West Ham.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

We are 25/1.

BUT 

25/1 is probably about right, if not a bit short.  10/1 on Everton is hilarious.

1 hour ago, Tamesaint said:

We are 25/1.

BUT 

I think the Bookies have got it wrong about Everton.

1 hour ago, Tamesaint said:

Looks about right to me. Imagine placing four way PL accumulator on Saints to beat West Ham, Leicester to beat Man City, Brighton to beat Liverpool and Villa to beat Everton, in the same weekend. That's about the likelihood of Saints winning the FA Cup this year. If anything 25-1 seems short. 10-1 for Everton seems absurd.

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Looks about right to me. Imagine placing four way PL accumulator on Saints to beat West Ham, Leicester to beat Man City, Brighton to beat Liverpool and Villa to beat Everton, in the same weekend. That's about the likelihood of Saints winning the FA Cup this year. If anything 25-1 seems short. 10-1 for Everton seems absurd.

I agree I dont think 25 /1 is a good bet as they need to beat West Ham and in theory may well have to beat Man City Chelsea and Liverpool as well

Start of the match was a bit choppy, but it improved with time as it got more flow. We are a less balanced team without a a left footer at LB, but it did not matter, KWP runs were awesome. Are we going to end up with "inverted full backs" like we now have inverted wingers? I hope not. Everton's defending was terrible, I was hoping for that second because they looked fragile and if we got a second they would surrender and I would not have to be nervous that they got a lucky break. The team has really gelled since Christmas. I am starting to think they were going easy the first half of the season to have the energy for the second half.

22 minutes ago, Mystic Force said:

Start of the match was a bit choppy, but it improved with time as it got more flow. We are a less balanced team without a a left footer at LB, but it did not matter, KWP runs were awesome. Are we going to end up with "inverted full backs" like we now have inverted wingers? I hope not. Everton's defending was terrible, I was hoping for that second because they looked fragile and if we got a second they would surrender and I would not have to be nervous that they got a lucky break. The team has really gelled since Christmas. I am starting to think they were going easy the first half of the season to have the energy for the second half.

Energy in the second half? Don’t you know it’s all down to gels and injuries around 60 - 70 mins. 😉

Edited by Toadhall Saint
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, saintadjg said:

But still not good enough for Crooks

Crooks is a buffoon, he put Maguire in after they shipped two goals to Leeds.

Then again, maybe he just does things like that to stir controversy.

Edited by TWar

On 22/02/2022 at 18:32, TWar said:

Crooks is a buffoon, he put Maguire in after they shipped two goals to Leeds.

Then again, maybe he just does things like that to stir controversy.

No, I think he does it on a Friday and uses his prejudiced predictions to post his 'TEAM OF THE WEEK.' I don't even think he watches any of the matches.

Just be thankful though, otherwise it would have been:

Right Back: Livramento: I have been lauding his efforts all season. He is a gifted player. Ralf Ragnarick, what are you waiting for!!!

Left Back: KWP:  I have been lauding his efforts all season. He is a gifted player. Jurgen Klopp, what are you waiting for!!!

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Roo1976 said:

Nah hes just a twat......................another overated pundit.

You're right on your first point. On the second point, I must have missed the overrating bit, I don't think I've ever seen anyone who rates him, or his opinion.

• Like 1

Another great performance from us and on another day we could have won by five or six. Stuart Armstrong was absolutely class and took his goal so well - my MOTM closey followed by the imperious Romeu and KWP. So pleased for Long too for coming on and grabbing his goal, great assist from Tino :) COYR