Saints 2-0 Everton - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

10 minutes ago, Streaky said:

Can anybody post a form table. I have no idea how to do it. Would be nice to see.

Even a form table doesn't really show how good we've been lately, our last 6 games have included United, City and Spurs - games where most clubs of our status would probably get nothing.  Our form has been fantastic, even the Wolves game we were in it right to the last minutes.

BTW Romeu is like a fine vintage wine - gets better and better with age.  What a player!

• Like 7

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

I'd absolutely love to finish above Brighton considering how much the media have been metaphorically sucking off Graham Potter. If we get above them then we are basically just below wolves as best of the rest. Would be a superb season. 

To be fair, media have gone quiet on Potter lately and Ralph has been attracting an awful lot of talk. Again today on BT Sport roundup they were asking Franny if Ralph would go to Man United. It’s just what happens when smaller clubs do well.

2 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

To be fair, media have gone quiet on Potter lately and Ralph has been attracting an awful lot of talk. Again today on BT Sport roundup they were asking Franny if Ralph would go to Man United. It’s just what happens when smaller clubs do well.

Only since pep bigged him up. 

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I'd absolutely love to finish above Brighton considering how much the media have been metaphorically sucking off Graham Potter. If we get above them then we are basically just below wolves as best of the rest. Would be a superb season. 

If we'd had Forster in goal and a midfield of Armstrong, Ward-Prowse, Romeu and Elyounoussi all season, we'd probably be well on course for a European place now. But,as long as they don't get injured, we can still win the FA Cup and that would be a superb season.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Micky said:

Even a form table doesn't really show how good we've been lately, our last 6 games have included United, City and Spurs - games where most clubs of our status would probably get nothing.  Our form has been fantastic, even the Wolves game we were in it right to the last minutes.

BTW Romeu is like a fine vintage wine - gets better and better with age.  What a player!

Very good point. We've not just won games, we have played extremely well too, creating so many chances and playing some greta football. We have also not relied on luck defensively. We have been organised and got a lot of bodies behind the ball. We also haven't left defenders exposed. Great balance between attack and defence. Long may this continue. Lets win the cup and see where we get to in the league.

• Like 2

It really is hilarious looking back to the posts in the first 5 mins of the game. Amazing how the usual suspects vanish after a couple of doom-laden predictions when they realise that we're not getting thrashed and are actually playing some impressive football.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

It really is hilarious looking back to the posts in the first 5 mins of the game. Amazing how the usual suspects vanish after a couple of doom-laden predictions when they realise that we're not getting thrashed and are actually playing some impressive football.

Who are they?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That win was dedicated to @Dorchester Saint. Going to be a tough ask for Everton to finish above us now. At least Alli got a good run out.

Previously I compared Romeu to Wanyama and how much better Romeu is. But, that now feels disingenuous. He’s playing like Schneiderlin was, now. All over the pitch, wins tackles for fun, passes the ball silkily, he just needs to add the trademark cross field balls. Like I said last week, he’s elite, his best season here. MotM today.

The other player who impressed me the most was the other experienced head in the team - Armstrong. Was playing like a man possessed in the first half, beating players like Lallana/Mane would, always looking to attack, playing good passes and was rewarded with a goal. Made up for last week’s performance against United. Looked a lot more on it today. 

Good performance overall and Long showed his experience at the end, even getting a rare goal! 

Both Everton and Newcastle are 5 points off 20th, what a dream that would be. @Lord Duckhunter’s favourites Lampard and Howe, while Hasenhuttl sits comfortably in 10th with the rest of the “cult”.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

That win was dedicated to @Dorchester Saint. Going to be a tough ask for Everton to finish above us now. At least Alli got a good run out.

Previously I compared Romeu to Wanyama and how much better Romeu is. But, that now feels disingenuous. He’s playing like Schneiderlin was, now. All over the pitch, wins tackles for fun, passes the ball silkily, he just needs to add the trademark cross field balls. Like I said last week, he’s elite, his best season here. MotM today.

The other player who impressed me the most was the other experienced head in the team - Armstrong. Was playing like a man possessed in the first half, beating players like Lallana/Mane would, always looking to attack, playing good passes and was rewarded with a goal. Made up for last week’s performance against United. Looked a lot more on it today. 

Good performance overall and Long showed his experience at the end, even getting a rare goal! 

Both Everton and Newcastle are 5 points off 20th, what a dream that would be. @Lord Duckhunter’s favourites Lampard and Howe, while Hasenhuttl sits comfortably in 10th with the rest of the “cult”.

The lack of @Lord Duckhunter on this forum is definitely a big bonus, although do wish I could ask him if he still thinks it's "ridiculous" to suggest saints could finish ahead of Villa.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Delighted with the performance and the result - we really are playing some extremely effective football at the moment.

Although, still looks like Armstrong should be dropped. Should learn to pass instead of shootIng so much.

He did improve at that though. He passed multiple times instead of having long range shots and his goal was from inside the box. Seems like Ralph had the same note as me and let him know mid week. Also Tino, who I suggested replace him, did start and got a peach of an assist for our second. So alls well that ends well!

After the first 20 minutes, Saints owned that game. Stu getting back to his best, Moi very good again, Romeu playing like a CL midfielder, dominated the central areas and screened the back 4 superbly whilst spraying some quality passes to set another moving going. Him and JWP have been as a good a CM combo recently as any. KWP growing further into LB, if he becomes genuinely two-footed/sided he will be very valuable indeed. Delighted for Shane, he will enjoy his evening as must be first PL goal for 3 years or so. 

2-0 didn’t really do the display justice, should have been 5 nil. Pickford should have done better for Stu’s goal but otherwise saved them from a hiding. 

Everton pressed really high and really intense for the first 10-15 minutes, but they were completely spent after that. Clearly not ready for those tactics just yet, after that we dominated the game and restricted Everton to very few chances on the break. Barring those first few minutes, Everton in the discussion for worst team seen at St Mary's this season.

Only slightly disappointing aspect was not finishing more of our chances, but that's far outweighed by a fantastic performance, Shane Long scoring, a clean sheet, and three points :D 

• Like 1

Anyone want my season ticket for the remaining home games? Nothing will be better than Shane Long scoring so there's little point going to any more matches now.

Outstanding team performance today. Seems like I say it every game but Romeu was man of the match. He is just superb at the moment and made their midfielders look like some Wessex League cloggers.

Armstrong put in a great shift too, as did Walker Peters. Bednarek also had his best game for a while, won a load of tackles and popped up with some excellent interceptions.

Not really sure what Everton's game plan was other than to run around a lot in the first 15 minutes. They were clueless after that and Lampard had no answer to Hasenhuttl's far superior tactics.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Not really sure what Everton's game plan was other than to run around a lot in the first 15 minutes. They were clueless after that and Lampard had no answer to Hasenhuttl's far superior tactics.

Ralph mentioned in his presser that Everton have shown a lot more energy in the last couple of games.  Seems like that's what Lampard has asked of them.  Might explain why they looked a bit leggy towards the end.  KWP was outrunning them all over the shop and JWP seemed to be everywhere.

Edited by Manuel
KWP
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Manuel said:

Ralph mentioned in his presser that Everton have shown a lot more energy in the last couple of games.  Seems like that's what Lampard has asked of them.  Might explain why they looked a bit leggy towards the end.  JWP was outrunning them all over the shop and JWP seemed to be everywhere.

KWP was running them ragged down that flank. Then to mess with them even more, KWP moved in a little, to allow JWP space down that side. And that was in the last 5 mins or so.  🙂 Everton had no chance of coping with them. Tireless work across the team today. If Lampard is expecting high energy output form his team, today will have been a stark lesson in how far he has to go to make it work.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

That was true enough. Shocker of a half from him. You get the feeling that he's likely to have quite a few shockers too.

You should read the absolute roasting he's getting on GOT forum this evening.

Seems they are unanimous in never wanting to see him play for them again.

What a great performance.  I missed 1st 7mins but from pretty much then it was one way traffic.

Rom just shades MOTM for me he looks absolutely class. Just a smidgen behind him were JWP who covered every blade of grass as usual, KWP and Armstrong.  Again no passengers today. Nice being able to use Fraser as a sweeper for 90% of the game 

When Long came on I actually felt a bit sorry for them as we'd ran them ragged only to bring on the King of running people ragged. Great to see him score again he's been really good this season when he's been called upon.

We play some sensational stuff at times.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, TWar said:

He did improve at that though. He passed multiple times instead of having long range shots and his goal was from inside the box. Seems like Ralph had the same note as me and let him know mid week. Also Tino, who I suggested replace him, did start and got a peach of an assist for our second. So alls well that ends well!

f**k me, you really do think you’re gods gift don’t you. 

dropping Armstrong for Tino was a ridiculous decision that would never have happened. 

• Like 12

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 2-0 Everton - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic