Brentford 3-0 Saints - Match Thread

Appy

This predictably pathetic performance surely tells us that we must be odds on favourites for the drop next season. Despite our (fans) wishes for wholesale changes in the summer common sense tells us that at best two or three players will leave and only one or two new faces will appear. It will not be enough to change the character of the team.

Not withstanding a managerial change, in effect what we see now is pretty much the player line up we will see in August when the new season kicks off - probably minus Broja and definitely Livramento. It is unlikely that there are any hidden qualities in our team that have not been revealed over the past three years. Bleak prospect indeed, pessimistic outlook, most certainly. Silk purses and sow's ears?

A new manager will have to face the daunting task in his first season of shoring up our defensive capabilities to stop leaking goals whilst doing his best to find a way of coaxing goals out of a striker line up that would on current form disgrace League 1;  at the same time finding a way to put 40 points on the board against opposition teams that inevitably will be stronger than this season's rivals.

Good luck with that one pal!

17 minutes ago, Saint Billy said:

God what a grim watch on Motd. A truly awful display with players running about like they had no direction at all. 

I'm tired of seeing the same players make the same mistakes game after game and yet still get selected. 

We don't have any others to select!

14 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

We don't have any others to select!

We dont, by and large, BUT isnt the idea of training during the week to eradicate the same mistakes time after time. The coaching personnel needs a complete revamp, Kevin Davis and Dave Watson should be nowhere near Staplewood. Give Davis MLT's old job as ambassador if you need him to do something.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

Why is Davis and Watson always to blame? Do you know how good or bad their coaching skills are? 

well they are the constants over the past few years and managers so unless they just collect bibs and put cones out their contributions are struggling to shine through ! I did say complete revamp btw, only mentioned them cos they were the only names I could think of.

Edited by beatlesaint
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Chez said:

Why is Davis and Watson always to blame? Do you know how good or bad their coaching skills are? 

Pretty sure if they were any good we wouldn't be witnessing the current shit show every game. The odd blip is acceptable but we are playing well below the required levels. Manager and coaches need to take a fair share of the responsibility for that. They are very well paid so should be earning their big salaries.

• Like 3

It wouldn't matter if you had the best defensive/offensive coaches in the world the stubborn prick wouldn't listen too them anyway, It's all my playbook me me me , there's a reason he sits there on his own with no input staring at the floor while kitzbichler sits there with his Ipad pro playing candy crush 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Chez said:

I find it very hard to believe that Kelvin Davis would get a 1st team coaching role at any other PL club. Jobs for the boys

• Like 5

Just watched motd - in Brightons game Grob went through and despite being heavily right footed hit it with his left as there was no way he’d score with his right. As I watched that I thought - if that was Redmond or Adams they would have tried to run around the ball or hopelessly hit it wide with their right. It’s this that the coaching staff should be doing. Equally some of the tippy tippy clearances I saw on MOTD with players off balance to use their stronger foot (Redmond for one of the goals). No idea what they do in training

3 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

This predictably pathetic performance surely tells us that we must be odds on favourites for the drop next season. Despite our (fans) wishes for wholesale changes in the summer common sense tells us that at best two or three players will leave and only one or two new faces will appear. It will not be enough to change the character of the team.

Not withstanding a managerial change, in effect what we see now is pretty much the player line up we will see in August when the new season kicks off - probably minus Broja and definitely Livramento. It is unlikely that there are any hidden qualities in our team that have not been revealed over the past three years. Bleak prospect indeed, pessimistic outlook, most certainly. Silk purses and sow's ears?

A new manager will have to face the daunting task in his first season of shoring up our defensive capabilities to stop leaking goals whilst doing his best to find a way of coaxing goals out of a striker line up that would on current form disgrace League 1;  at the same time finding a way to put 40 points on the board against opposition teams that inevitably will be stronger than this season's rivals.

Good luck with that one pal!

Puel who was castigated for his boring style of football managed it with Yoshida and Stephens! 
Yesterday at the game it felt as if the players were playing to get the manager the sack it was that bad 😩

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Strangely Brown said:

Puel who was castigated for his boring style of football managed it with Yoshida and Stephens! 
Yesterday at the game it felt as if the players were playing to get the manager the sack it was that bad 😩

Players clearing not playing for the manager anymore and deserve a lot of the blame as well, not sure what's gone on behind the scenes 

19 hours ago, IOWSaintDaz said:

I also think the coaching staff must take as much repsonsibilty for our poor form as Ralph, we need a major overhaul not only with the manager but with the backroom staff, I'm sorry to say Kelvin Davis and Dave Watson must be replaced as they appear to offer nothing in terms of improving the team as far as I can see. if anything we seem to have gone backwards, hopefully if Ralph does the decent thing and goes at the end of the season or the board call time on him the whole backroom staff will be replaced also

Why should millionaire players need coaching how to play football?   If they need coaching we should never have bought them Let the players play with freedom and instinct.

We were never coached when we played  school football le.agues

5 hours ago, Strangely Brown said:

Stuart Armstrong not tracking back hard a couple of times made me wonder. Easily misinterpreted though. 

7 hours ago, Hodgey said:

Just watched motd - in Brightons game Grob went through and despite being heavily right footed hit it with his left as there was no way he’d score with his right. As I watched that I thought - if that was Redmond or Adams they would have tried to run around the ball or hopelessly hit it wide with their right. It’s this that the coaching staff should be doing. Equally some of the tippy tippy clearances I saw on MOTD with players off balance to use their stronger foot (Redmond for one of the goals). No idea what they do in training

Redmond wouldn’t have been there, he’d have played a short sideways or backwards pass 25 yards out and then taken a position where he couldn’t receive a return pass. 

8 hours ago, Hodgey said:

No player should be allowed to leave Staplewood before 10.00 at night until they can bloody kick with both feet - Fundamental…. 
Ralph should not be leaving Staplewood until he fully understands the concept of a midfield which are not always 50 yards ahead of the ball…. Plus the concept of playing a game without six up front… He seems just clueless… 

I can't believe we went into that game Saturday on the front foot. gIven our fixtures, and the mess we're in, why did we not play to keep it tight for first 70 mins just try and grind out a result.  Why did Romeu and Adams get dropped? Why did A Armstrong play when he is absolutely dreadful?  Why is Bednarek still being picked when the bloke has proved for about 5 years, he's nowhere near good enough for this league.

So many questions, but we just give terrible goals away over and over again. 

17 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

I can't believe we went into that game Saturday on the front foot. gIven our fixtures, and the mess we're in, why did we not play to keep it tight for first 70 mins just try and grind out a result.  Why did Romeu and Adams get dropped? Why did A Armstrong play when he is absolutely dreadful?  Why is Bednarek still being picked when the bloke has proved for about 5 years, he's nowhere near good enough for this league.

Same questions every week really, the answers are probably these:

1 - We don't play that way, we're not the sort of team who will sit back for a game and keep it tight. I'm sure fans would have a right old moan if we tried to do that. You could argue if that's the right approach or not, but either way we'd still lose the game as we don't have the quality to snatch that 1-0.

2 - Romeu and Adams are horrific at the moment, really poor form. But they're the best of a bad bunch. I don't think the problem was Romeu not playing, it was more Diallo in his place. 

3 - People have been calling for Armstrong to have a chance for weeks, he's given a chance and now that's wrong. To be fair I agree, I think he's incredibly limited but that's the dice we roll when we only buy from the Champ. He wasn't the worst player, he's just average.

4 - Who replaces Bednarek? It's a very, very poor show that someone as bad as Bednarek is 'the best' of a bad bunch for the 2nd CB. Lynaco is rash and not reliable, Jack Stephens is Jack Stephens.

So in summary I'd say the answers to the questions are that we have average players who have dipped in form and the manager is flapping around trying to stop the rut, with more average players.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

I can answer one of your questions - Adam Armstrong had quite a decent game; he certainly wasn't dreadful, and could easily have had a brace of goals.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, austsaint said:

I can answer one of your questions - Adam Armstrong had quite a decent game; he certainly wasn't dreadful, and could easily have had a brace of goals.

I thought he deserved a go considering how little Adams had done in the previous few games, but overall he was pretty poor, his touch wasn't sharp and his inability to hold the ball up concerned me (and made me wish we had started Adams), however he scored an excellent (offside) goal, which demonstrated he does have that goalscoring ability and hopefully that will give him confidence, although he didn't exactly thrive in the second half.

I desperately want him to come good. Perhaps Ralph needs to start him again to build that confidence up, although playing one up front against Liverpool perhaps makes more sense.

1 hour ago, Chez said:

I thought he deserved a go considering how little Adams had done in the previous few games, but overall he was pretty poor, his touch wasn't sharp and his inability to hold the ball up concerned me (and made me wish we had started Adams), however he scored an excellent (offside) goal, which demonstrated he does have that goalscoring ability and hopefully that will give him confidence, although he didn't exactly thrive in the second half.

I desperately want him to come good. Perhaps Ralph needs to start him again to build that confidence up, although playing one up front against Liverpool perhaps makes more sense.

That's always been a worry with Armstrong for me. He looks way too small and fragile to be a success at this level, he can't hold the ball up and he's food and drink for any half decent CB at the top level. He then gets frustrated and when he does get a chance, he often snatches at it - the offside finish was a rare composed finish from him, I still have nightmares of his 'finishing show' away at Watford.

Adams is bog-average and it took him time to get used to the league for sure, but what helped him adapt a bit better was his physicality. He can hold it up better, he can back into defenders and play others in etc.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

1 - We don't play that way, we're not the sort of team who will sit back for a game and keep it tight. I'm sure fans would have a right old moan if we tried to do that. You could argue if that's the right approach or not, but either way we'd still lose the game as we don't have the quality to snatch that 1-0.

cough, Arsenal

8 minutes ago, OldNick said:

just imagine had we not luckily won that one!!!!!

Luckily as in; just imagine if Forster hadn’t pulled off those great saves? So all those great saves Pickford made to earn Everton their most recent 6 points, were they lucky?

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

Luckily as in; just imagine if Forster hadn’t pulled off those great saves? So all those great saves Pickford made to earn Everton their most recent 6 points, were they lucky?

well I suppose how you look at it. To me were lucky to win that one and Chelsea were unlucky to lose the Everton game. So I assume you feel we were deserving of the win

10 hours ago, Chez said:

Yes - look I share your view of the weaknesses in his game.   He doesn't hold the ball up as well as Adams, he can be too easily brushed aside and his first touch is sometimes lacking.    Like you said, his second half wasn't great.....whose was?

However his speed and acceleration is there, he passes well, presses ok and runs channels well......sadly our 10's and AM's have provided little service for any of our strikers.    You mention his marginally offside goal; it showed there is a clinical finish talent.   His first time, left-foot shot  from a Perraud cross goes in on another day.    He's been fed scraps by Ralph and had to sit and watch Shane Long start consecutive games.....enough to sap anyones confidence!

I'm like you - I desperately want him to come good too, and I think he will, he has attributes which measure up.