Brentford 3-0 Saints - Match Thread

Appy

1 minute ago, nta786 said:

I think we are giving 100% to be fair, I see we are pressing, but on pitch it looks like we are running around like headless chickens. 

We’re seeing too many mistakes, methods and automatisms that aren’t working, players who have gone off the boil and no cohesion to our play. 

What we aren’t seeing is results, and that’s why he has to go at the end of the season.

What i don't understand is a manager who looks at something not working and does nothing about it. Please can we appoint someone who actually appoint a replacement who change things if we're getting embarassed.

• Like 2

On 06/05/2022 at 11:01, beatlesaint said:

I see according to the local rag that Ralph says its insulting to suggest the players are already on the beach.

Only one way to prove otherwise then Ralph !!!

8 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Last time he got on his holier than thou high horse, after the West Ham cup game, we went on yet another of our dreadful runs of form.

How about let's stop being dogshit, Ralph.

How dare we say this wonderful team and wonderful manager are on the beach. How insulting. How dare we.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Ralph went straight down the tunnel at full time

It is really sad though it has come to this if true. 
As they say “You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.”

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BotleySaint said:

Even worse when you look at the teams we've playing during that period of time too.

Remember seeing the fixtures and thinking here we can have a run at top 8. How foolish I was

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BotleySaint said:

Must be looking at this and thinking there is nothing more he can do here. Maybe he'll quit.

Wishful thinking unfortunately, he’ll wait for the multi million pound payout.

Get rid now and hope for some kind of new manager bounce against Liverpool that keeps the score to about 0-4. Can’t afford to give this man another transfer window and start off next season slowly, our luck will run out eventually.

• Like 2

We actually had control of the game for large parts, certainly up until the start of the 2nd half at which point we gave up and threw the towels in.

Defensively abject, Bednarek is just a hopeless footballer. A consistent factor under several managers is that useless oaf, bored watching him. 

I'm fairly sure a retired and overweight Fabrice Fernandes would give us more than Redmond, who is another who has been around under several managers and is equally abject. How he 'defended' that third goal is inexcusable, I never want to see him play for us again.

Why did we start with Diallo in the two? Ralph doesn't have the best hand as he has to work with the likes of Bednarek and Redmond, but he doesn't half make it harder for himself. It's clear to anyone that Diallo and JWP cannot play in a two because they get over-run and overpowered, it's clear to everyone. What happened? They were over-run and overpowered. 

Play Diallo in a three, or play him with Romeu - that's the only way he fits into this team. Trying to shoehorn Diallo into the Romeu role does not work and it leaves us so, so, so exposed on the break. Absolute ridiculous decision from the manager and I have no idea what was going through his head when he picked that one.

Overall it's not really much different from most weeks, groundhog day. We know we have a squad littered with absolutely abject footballers, but we also have a manager who has his qualities but seems intent on making an already difficult situation much harder for himself.

• Like 7

That was a weird juxtaposition between an absolute horror show on the pitch and one of the best away ends of the season. 

Players rightly got a load of shit when they came over at the end.

We have some proper moody fans these days. Loads of flares, people getting kicked out, some tried to get at the home fans outside.

I chose a nearby away game to watch my lower league local team today. A short train journey, a nice walk, a nice pint in the sunshine and watched them get an away win. A walk down to the beach, a wave at the Southampton players who were already on there, and back home. A lovely afternoon. Now, how did we get on... bloomin' 'eck.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

How dare we say this wonderful team and wonderful manager are on the beach. How insulting. How dare we.

I honesty don't think they are on the beach. They just are not very good. As a team we don't know what we are doing any more. Fullbacks attack, but no one covers. Midfield loses the ball and leave CBs exposed. The back four don't keep a good line. Players get drawn across, midfield don't track runners leaving defenders overloaded. We have no idea how to defend set pieces. The whole `do nothing and hope someone is offside' failed totally today...the list goes on. It's just ugly in terms of our set up.  What makes it worse is that considering how open we are, we create very little. Slightly better today, but Brentford are themselves not the greatest defensive side.

• Like 3

Just now, Tanlee said:

Can't think of one player Ralph has improved in his time,  poor sub standard signings and tactically dreadful . Time for a fresh approach. 

But harsh. Could make a case that JWP, KWP, Salisu, S Armstrong and even Romeu have all improved. All been rubbish lately, mind. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, DT said:

We can’t afford the compo, can we? Has to be the only reason. 

We really can't. We need every penny of that £12m to buy players, especially as the £10m we might have got if we'd been higher up the league has disappeared. 

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

We actually had control of the game for large parts, certainly up until the start of the 2nd half at which point we gave up and threw the towels in.

Defensively abject, Bednarek is just a hopeless footballer. A consistent factor under several managers is that useless oaf, bored watching him. 

I'm fairly sure a retired and overweight Fabrice Fernandes would give us more than Redmond, who is another who has been around under several managers and is equally abject. How he 'defended' that third goal is inexcusable, I never want to see him play for us again.

Why did we start with Diallo in the two? Ralph doesn't have the best hand as he has to work with the likes of Bednarek and Redmond, but he doesn't half make it harder for himself. It's clear to anyone that Diallo and JWP cannot play in a two because they get over-run and overpowered, it's clear to everyone. What happened? They were over-run and overpowered. 

Play Diallo in a three, or play him with Romeu - that's the only way he fits into this team. Trying to shoehorn Diallo into the Romeu role does not work and it leaves us so, so, so exposed on the break. Absolute ridiculous decision from the manager and I have no idea what was going through his head when he picked that one.

Overall it's not really much different from most weeks, groundhog day. We know we have a squad littered with absolutely abject footballers, but we also have a manager who has his qualities but seems intent on making an already difficult situation much harder for himself.

In response to your first paragraph, I only saw the last half hour but I wouldn’t call it control, we had lots of meaningless possession about 20 - 25 yards from goal with no penetration, it was so comfortable for Brentford 

28 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

why the fuck would he bother lol

I think a United or Liverpool, in years to come would rather take a chance on someone who's done well with Brentford and Southampton than just with Brentford. Also, he's mates with our chairman.

Another short passing static high possession shambles. WTF is Hasenhuttl doing to allow this to occur or doesn't he see it. We were just chasing scraps against a packed defence because we had taken so long to get the ball forward and allowed them all to get goal side. There were passengers out there today, Bednerak, Diallo. Redmond, Elyanoussi for starters. I lost count of the number of attempted failed tackles consisting mostly waving a leg as a gesture. This is just another similar failed unwatchable performance that is absolutely predictable and has become the norm. JWP pretty much sets the template for the negative keep ball, Christan Eriksen he isn't. If we get a good offer we should take it. As long as he is in midfield indulging in passing sideways and backwards we are just treading water. We need to break this particular mould and bring in players that can play faster and harder.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Boris Karloff said:

But harsh. Could make a case that JWP, KWP, Salisu, S Armstrong and even Romeu have all improved. All been rubbish lately, mind. 

Also those who have gone. You can't say Ings, Hoj and Vest didn't improve under Ralph.

3 minutes ago, The Cat said:

That was a weird juxtaposition between an absolute horror show on the pitch and one of the best away ends of the season. 

Players rightly got a load of shit when they came over at the end.

We have some proper moody fans these days. Loads of flares, people getting kicked out, some tried to get at the home fans outside.

Not quite true. Brentford fans threw a flare into the Saints fans at 3-0 and then it turned nasty

13 minutes ago, DT said:

We can’t afford the compo, can we? Has to be the only reason. 

But he offered to resign and walk for free after both 9-0's and we rejected it so I think he would accept it without much compo. For all Ralph's managerial faults, he's an absolutely lovely man who genuinely cares about the club. Probably too lovely. That's never been in question.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Thought we were 2-0 down at half time. Have I got that wrong?

6 minutes ago, northam soul said:

Ok so when do we start panicking?

There is only 1 relegation spot left, so I don’t think we’ll go down, especially after Burnley losing, but it’s not really the point is it?

Edited by Toussaint

12 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Diallo aint up to it. I love Romeu, but he's been terrible, so I can understand why Diallo got a chance, but you are right, he can't be trusted in a 2. Sadly in a 3 he looks lost. One of many positions we need to strengthen. Armstrong is not CM. That leaves us with 2 plus Diallo. Same with left back, we just keep ignoring it because we don't have the funds to upgrade. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, East Kent Saint said:

Should we be bothered anymore ? All I’m hoping for is to stay up but it looks like we depend on other teams being even more useless than us !

can't see us getting another point. We are relying on others.

• Like 1

Hasenhuttl: "Strange game. The quality in both boxes made the difference today. We had our chances and didn’t do anything. Simply not good enough." #saintsfc [sky]

Christ he’s annoying 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Depends how the board see it really. 
Ralph on the camera there had a slight smirk, would like to know what is going on in his mind right now.

Counting all the money he'll have I suspect. 

1 minute ago, DT said:

Hasenhuttl: "Strange game. The quality in both boxes made the difference today. We had our chances and didn’t do anything. Simply not good enough." #saintsfc [sky]

Christ he’s annoying 

yeah, we had a few chances, like they did, ,but it wasn't just the goals conceded, it was the number of times they broke and had a man free, which the man with the ball often didn't find. If they had, it could have been much worse.  Did we ever catch them on the break? Were we ever one on one with a CB? Were we fuck.

16 minutes ago, Chez said:

We really can't. We need every penny of that £12m to buy players, especially as the £10m we might have got if we'd been higher up the league has disappeared. 

Doesn’t he only have one season left on his contract? The ‘only’ cost then is what he would have been paid for that season. No win bonuses obviously.