The Lionesses success - Five footballing lessons for us?

eelpie

1 hour ago, Pilchards said:

(3) Stop faking an injury and get up again.

(4) Don’t back into a defender like Kane does

(5) More back heel goals

(6) No moaning to the officials

(7) I don’t have a 7

There's been tons of that...

I think it's more the England men that could learn a lesson, specifically Southgate. THAT'S what you do when you go 1-0 up in a high stakes game, you be brave, take it to them and believe in yourself. Not cower away for the next 89 minutes showing every bit of mental weakness you can.

What the women did to Sweden last night, there's no reason why the men couldn't have done that to Italy a year or so ago.

• Like 4

Blimey, I thought the act of jumping on the bandwagon of poneytail football, watching one game, then using supposed observations of that game as a stick to beat mens football up with, was confined to a load of Karens on social media. 

Edited by Marsdinho
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I think it's more the England men that could learn a lesson, specifically Southgate. THAT'S what you do when you go 1-0 up in a high stakes game, you be brave, take it to them and believe in yourself. Not cower away for the next 89 minutes showing every bit of mental weakness you can.

What the women did to Sweden last night, there's no reason why the men couldn't have done that to Italy a year or so ago.

Southgate can't do brave, he's too worried about who it will offend. Nice enough guy but he's so poor tactically and i highly doubt we'll win anything under him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marsdinho said:

Blimey, I thought act the jumping on the bandwagon of poneytail football, watching one game, then using supposed observations of that game as a stick to beat mens football up with, was confined to a load of Karens on social media. 

The hyperbole over the Sweden win / england ladies is just getting silly. The BBC were reporting that backheel goal as "one of the best goals you'll ever see". Its not. The keeper got nutmegged by a slow shot at her near post. In general the keeper had an absolute howler and if it had been Macca i dread to think what would have been written about it in the match thread. For equal comparison, the BBC described Lingard's back heel/flick vs burnley a few years ago as, "clever" and its a far superior goal that actually beat the keeper rather than the keeper having a mare. I'm pleased their doing well, and its good for the women's game in this country etc. But the coverage is just cringe at this point. As is any comparison between the men's and women's games.

• Like 5

The BBC (well, Ian Wright) were on about the lack of opportunity for girls to play football.....girls at my daughter's school (and other friends from all over Hampshire, so it's not isolated) have loads of options to play in after school clubs etc. Some is mixed, some is same sex.....it's becomingly really popular among young girls, but clearly it'll take a long time to get anywhere near the men's game. Certainly no barriers to playing that i can see, admittedly this is a Hampshire school perspective.

I enjoyed the game last night (and i've been a bit sniffy about it i hate to admit) and the girls certainly look like they've been well drilled. As it were.

I can’t really tell if this thread is being ironic or not but the answer is nothing. Literally nothing. The lionesses would struggle to even touch the ball outside of their own penalty area against Saints. You know how Moi suddenly found decent movement, positional play, passing and shooting in Scotland? It’s that times one hundred.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, eelpie said:

For our mens teams, I mean.

I will start with: 

1. Agility and accuracy in front of goal

I'm going to add

2. The ability to turn very quickly on the spot before shooting accurately. (Not our forwards' best skills) 

12 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I can’t really tell if this thread is being ironic or not but the answer is nothing. Literally nothing. The lionesses would struggle to even touch the ball outside of their own penalty area against Saints. You know how Moi suddenly found decent movement, positional play, passing and shooting in Scotland? It’s that times one hundred.

I'll have what you're having. Did you watch the Saints at the end of last season? 😂

Nobody is pretending the quality is anywhere near the men's game. That isn't the point, but in the context of the competition they are playing, it was a good performance.

I would agree the big take away is the fact that they shot frequently, and quickly.

That back heel was utter filth, she nutmegged two players by hitting it so quickly. They were expecting her to turn, and were undone by her speed of thought.

I don't care what the perceived standard is,  that made me jump and shout.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, macca155 said:

Nobody is pretending the quality is anywhere near the men's game. That isn't the point, but in the context of the competition they are playing, it was a good performance.

I would agree the big take away is the fact that they shot frequently, and quickly.

That back heel was utter filth, she nutmegged two players by hitting it so quickly. They were expecting her to turn, and were undone by her speed of thought.

I don't care what the perceived standard is,  that made me jump and shout.

😂😂😂

16 hours ago, OldNick said:

For me I was impressed that every player was comfortable on the ball and controlled it instantly. Shame the men cant

Really, talking generally the first touch has been very loose at times. Touch and control in the mens game is now immense.

4 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

Really, talking generally the first touch has been very loose at times. Touch and control in the mens game is now immense.

I wasnt meaning every team, I was talking about the England ladies. As for 'immense' in the mens' game! You do watch Saints lol

I nearly have a seizure when it gets passed to our keeper and then to our defenders, by the time the midfield et it and have eventually controlled the ball it is then back to our defender who passes to the keeper and again the nerves are shredded agian, when it does ever get to a forward the ball is mis controlled so a defender can sweep it up

2 hours ago, OldNick said:

I wasnt meaning every team, I was talking about the England ladies. As for 'immense' in the mens' game! You do watch Saints lol

I nearly have a seizure when it gets passed to our keeper and then to our defenders, by the time the midfield et it and have eventually controlled the ball it is then back to our defender who passes to the keeper and again the nerves are shredded agian, when it does ever get to a forward the ball is mis controlled so a defender can sweep it up

I still think with the England team it's no where near the mens teams yet. 

Male players now are pulling balls down effortlessly, taking balls on the run, controlling the ball on most parts of their body. Apart from fitnesss its the thing that has improved most in the game since I've been watching football. 

I play with a load of younsters and their touch is so much better then the lads of my age, the ball us coming down with snow on and they can kill it with their touch. Still we can tackle harder and take more pain.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

I still think with the England team it's no where near the mens teams yet. 

Male players now are pulling balls down effortlessly, taking balls on the run, controlling the ball on most parts of their body. Apart from fitnesss its the thing that has improved most in the game since I've been watching football. 

I play with a load of younsters and their touch is so much better then the lads of my age, the ball us coming down with snow on and they can kill it with their touch. Still we can tackle harder and take more pain.

I always have thought that kids should not play competitive football untii they are 12 or older. They should just learn to control and pass the ball with one touch football. Alan Ball was very much of this mindset

1 hour ago, OldNick said:

I always have thought that kids should not play competitive football untii they are 12 or older. They should just learn to control and pass the ball with one touch football. Alan Ball was very much of this mindset

That side of things can be neglected, especially with the not so good kids, who would really benefit from it.

The kid of a site manager on one of my jobs did futsal for a numbet of years before playing normal football, they spent hours just rolling the ball around the foot and doing controlling skills. He's got in to Spurs academy just as the job finished, it would be interesting to know how he's progressed. 

• Like 1

One thing that’s been mentioned a lot is the fact that the same 11 started all the games, but I also noticed that 9 of those 11 started in the game at st Mary’s last September. I think squad chemistry and knowing each other’s games is really key.

the mens team at international level always changes, when maybe a more settled 11 with just a few players coming in and out of the squad would be best

same with saints, we really need to go into this season with a settled defence and stick with it, let them get used to playing together and build confidence in each other’s games

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

I would like to see players gate-crashing and doing the conga through Ralph's press conferences, not every game but perhaps after a particularly heavy defeat, plus more ponytails and nail varnish. 

You know it would breakdown into an unco-ordinated mess, with most of them trying to take the conga sideways and back, as Ralph's automatisms have taught them.🙂   More ponytails and varnish would be fine, though.

• Like 1