Tottenham 4-1 Saints - Match Thread

Bad Wolf

9 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

The playbook has been abandoned it seems. Defend, defend, defend. 3 CBs, 3 DMs, 1 attacking midfield and 1 striker.

He's going for the 0-0 or a flukey 1-0 (like vs Arsenal last season). 

This of course will horribly backfire inside 10 minutes when Bednarek falls on his arse and Son breezes through to score.

Edited by OttawaSaint
  • Haha 1

Maybe let's wait and see how this goes before we start slating the formation?

Last season everybody was complaining about the rigid sticking to 4222 and now we're trying something different and that's a bad thing...

• Like 8

Well i'm assuming Perraud is still coming back to full fitness which explains Djenepo starting. Valery has also had some success as part of a back 3 so can see why he might have been picked. Does look like service up to Armstrong / Aribo could be a problem but maybe the strategy is to keep it tight at the start and then bring on more attacking players as the game goes on (more possible with 5 subs now I suppose).

Win, lose or draw though a single match will not necessarily be indicative of our season as a whole or an indicator of Ralphs position so we should try not to go OTT with our praise/criticism regardless of the result. Be interesting to see how Lavia and Bazunu do against some stiff competition though.

Not sure why people are surprised about that formation and lineup. It’s the formation we went with in pre season, and the team is very similar to the one against Villarreal (a Armstrong came on at half time for Mara, then it’s Romeu instead of S.Armstrong to solidify centre mid and a straight swap of Ketchup for Valery).

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, igsey said:

Maybe let's wait and see how this goes before we start slating the formation?

Yeah, but where's the fun in that for the "told you so"* / "glad I was proven wrong"* brigade...?

*Delete as required 

Edited by trousers
  • Haha 1

Just now, saintscottofthenortham said:

Valery in a back three over ABK. 🙄 FML. Biggest surprise for me is Ralph actually dropping McCarthy.

Probably the right call. I like ABK, but it would have been a bit of a baptism of fire for him. Ease him into the team.

I'm not a massive Valery fan, but I don't think I'm alone in being impressed by how well he's adjusted to that third right sided CB role. Provides the pace and recovery, which someone like Lyanco or Stephens wouldn't

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

this is the formation we used all pre-season.....not sure why anyone is surprised with todays?

It's not the formation but the lineup. Adams needs to start in this formation.

I know it could work out just fine but seeing Bednarek and AA has put me off my pre match wank...

• Like 1

Just now, OttawaSaint said:

It's not the formation but the lineup. Adams needs to start in this formation.

I know it could work out just fine but seeing Bednarek and AA has put me off my pre match wank...

It's a big chance for AA, as long as Aribo plays close to him then it could work. But I equally wouldn't be surprised to see Adams come on 2nd half.

If anything it just shows how desperate we are for a focal point top quality CF. We don't have that.

I'm going to be optimistic. Spurs 1-2 Saints.

Aribo's running will make space for Armstrong to hit an instinctive shot into the top corner. S. Armstrong to come on and get a winner. 

Have I been out in the sun too long? 

Edited by Colinjb

6 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

this is the formation we used all pre-season.....not sure why anyone is surprised with todays?

Saints are shit when it’s competitive. You really think most people paid much attention to pre season? 

16 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

What a horribly negative lineup. 

Despite all the signings, we look weaker than last season imo.

We are. We haven't upgraded our starting eleven. People have got excited about us signing a lot of promising youngsters, but todays starting eleven highlights the reality of the situation. Djenepo at wing back, Valery at CB, and AA up top ain't in improvement of our team, quite the opposite. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Probably the right call. I like ABK, but it would have been a bit of a baptism of fire for him. Ease him into the team.

I'm not a massive Valery fan, but I don't think I'm alone in being impressed by how well he's adjusted to that third right sided CB role. Provides the pace and recovery, which someone like Lyanco or Stephens wouldn't

I'd agree on Valery  he's there to mark Son. I'd have Lyanco over Bendarek. I have stopped trusting him these days.

I think the fact that we can replace half of our outfield players during the course of the game will play a big part in team selection and tactics this season. Be interesting to see how different clubs play it.

7 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

Saints are shit when it’s competitive. You really think most people paid much attention to pre season? 

well those of us that did watch the pre-season games and paid any attention are not surprised about the formation at all. The only slight surprise is some of the starting 11

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

People should have paid more attention to pre season, certainly when it comes to accurately predicting personnel and formations and not having a fit when a very predictable formation and quite predictable line up gets announced. In 5 pre season games we played with 3 at the back for all but 45 minutes, and this team is very close to the one put out against Villarreal. So it was very clear that this was the way Ralph was going to go.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

It’s never 3-5-2. I doubt it is even think it’s 5-3-2. Looks like 5-4-1 with a striker who is completely unsuited to holding theball up. It’s depressing seeing the utterly garbage bednarek waltz into the team again despite us having 6 cb’s to choose from.

It’ll be 352/541 yes because thats how the transition works, Aribo will drop in on Hojbjerg out of possession I imagine in order to try to stop him passing the ball (although having seen him play it may be better to just let him)

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say Bednarek isn’t as horrible a defender as people say, I certainly prefer him overall to Stephens/Lyanco though ABK will end up in his place I imagine

Generally speaking we looked so bad towards the end of last season because we insisted on carrying on this gung ho full press approach despite a lack of stamina and generally it was half arsed… hence we had no cover infront of our CBs and only some FF wizardry kept our heads above water

Edited by Smirking_Saint

• Lighthouse changed the title to Tottenham 4-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic