Tottenham 4-1 Saints - Match Thread

Bad Wolf

If it's possible to get any perspective on this game..we should remember that Spurs have spent more on ONE PLAYER

( Richarlison ) than we have on the half-dozen recruits we brought in during the summer.  (Glad he's suspended.)

On paper we have almost zero chance of a win but remembering last season anything is possible and a goal from KWP

and a red card for Hojbjerg would be a good present for my son's birthday.     That would upset Daniel Levy. 

Edited by david in sweden

• Lighthouse changed the title to Tottenham vs Saints - Match Thread

Really unusual formation and lineup which I don't think anyone would have predicted. I'm concerned that bednarek is still a starter and that valery is the best we have at rb. Also a bit weird to have djenepo as a starter considering how ineffective he's been historically. No Adams? Makes me worried that we may be selling him. 

Sorry but Valery is largely poor and he’s had a couple of mediocre performances against weakened opposition.
Bednarek wanted out and bottled playing a cup tie, he shouldn’t be near that team.
Djenepo has been piss poor for two years! Again a couple of semi-decent friendly performances doesn’t cut it for a Premier League match.

Honestly baffled Adams and Stu Armstrong can’t get in that team. Even Redmond I’d have in there probably.

• Like 1

That looks a 352 to me with Aribo alongside Armstrong… not sure what Adams has done to be benched, but Im assuming Ralph is looking to play a more solid system and try to win on the break

Im not holding HUGE hope today but hopefully we can steal a draw… I just want us to be as committed as we were at the start of the season and not as lost as we were towards the end

MOST importantly I want us, if we go 1-0 to hold our heads and not capitulate 

————-Bazunu————-

— Valery —Bednarek—-Salisu

KWP—————————-Djenepo 

——Romeu - Lavia- —JWP——

————Aribo——————

—————-Armstrong————

Edited by Smirking_Saint
  • Like 3

So we are playing 3 players who normally play in the 2 central midfield positions which we have not tried in pre season.

No Stu is madness to me and I don’t care if they are impressed with Valery lately.

Che must be on the cards to be sold as he really can’t get a look in.

3 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

That’s a depressing lineup. The useless bednarek in the team and I struggle to see how we’ll hold the ball up. Also is lyanco injured or just behind Stephens in the pecking order?

Stephens is more versatile then Lyanco… snd how exactly is it depressing? We were always going to play 352 and we know we look light at LB/up top

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

That’s a depressing lineup. The useless bednarek in the team and I struggle to see how we’ll hold the ball up. Also is lyanco injured or just behind Stephens in the pecking order?

Lyanco had his green kit confiscated by the club so not able to play. Didn't he go off injured in one of the home friendlies (though I thought they said it was cramp).

18 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Really unusual formation and lineup which I don't think anyone would have predicted. I'm concerned that bednarek is still a starter and that valery is the best we have at rb. Also a bit weird to have djenepo as a starter considering how ineffective he's been historically. No Adams? Makes me worried that we may be selling him. 

It's 532, played all pre season with it

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Stephens is more versatile then Lyanco… snd how exactly is it depressing? We were always going to play 352 and we know we look light at LB/up top

It’s never 3-5-2. I doubt it is even think it’s 5-3-2. Looks like 5-4-1 with a striker who is completely unsuited to holding theball up. It’s depressing seeing the utterly garbage bednarek waltz into the team again despite us having 6 cb’s to choose from.

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Saint Garrett got 10/11 and it's the same/similar formation we had in preseason so Valery will be RCB.

Agree about Adams and Bednarek though. With Fulham nabbing a point vs a poor Liverpool let's hope we don't get smashed by Spurs.

Edited by OttawaSaint
  • Like 1

Why are people saying this is a horribly negative line-up? ''bizarre formation''? If you're basing it from the BBC Sport formation pic then just ignore that.

We played all pre-season this way, all the media chat has been about 5-3-2. The talk is to make us more solid. Why has this come as a surprise to anyone?

Do some of you want us to open up and go for the throat of Spurs and get absolutely destroyed on the break? And on the attack this isn't a particularly negative line-up, as the WB's will push up very high to provide the width. I Imagine Aribo will play very close to Armstrong to provide the support and physicality he needs.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 7

22 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Isn't Valery one of the three at the back with KWP and Djenepo as wing backs?

• Lighthouse changed the title to Tottenham 4-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic