The 'New Manager' thread

Bad Wolf

9 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

It should be noted that there was plenty of talk on MOTD2 about Gerrard's future (Ralph's position wasnt even mentioned).

His record as Villa manager in the same period -

Won 7

Drew 6

Lost 10

Points 27

Over double the number of points that we've accumulated, yet hes under immense pressure 🤷🏼‍♂️

I think the answer to that might be found here:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/aston-villa/transferrekorde/verein/405

18 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

News: Poch was in West Quay at the weekend

Context: Poch has been coming back to Southampton regularly since he left since he left because he still has friends in the area

also, he needed some new pants

4 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

I used to be on twitter couple years ago with the same username then left, however i’ve only recently joined saintsweb 

I'll let you off, to be fair I've accused several posters of the same thing, someone has to crack!

• Haha 1

All our managers since Puel in 2016/2017 have all come under fire. 

And I have some sympathy (some less than others) with them because they have at their disposal a declining standard of player. In 7 years the only 2 players we have sold for more than we paid are Van Dyke & Ings. 7 years = 2 players.

Our recent recruits MAY buck that trend, but when you consider most of the players we have bought have been worse than the ones they have replaced you can see why we are in or around the relegation zone. Some of the players we bought, we couldn't even give away!

And this is going to be the same problem should Ralph be replaced. On Sunday, many talked how Moyes was able to change the game with some tactical subs. But was it a smart tactical change, or was it West Ham just had better players to come off the bench? Our starting 11 does not fill me with much hope, let alone what we have from the bench.

Many got excited at the start of the season because we signed some players from Man City, but they were young, and if they were that promising, they would not have been sold in the first place. We have paid a heavy price over the last 6- 7 years of a policy to buy young talent. I understand the rationale that as a small club we can't buy big, but there has to be a balance, blending promising youngsters with some experience. Unfortunately it is a gamble hoping to spot potential and we have paid the price of making so many wrong choices.

Our lack of attacking options has existed since we sold Mane and Pelle, other than 1 season of Ings, every manger has had a very limited choice of attacking options from which to chose. Even when Lavia and Tino return, we may be a little more competitive, but they are not going to chip in many goals. Come January we are in a bit of a vicious circle, because we need a goal scorer (as do many at our level) but if you were a decent striker and you have many offers, why chose a club in relegation! 

Which is why I am rather indifferent whether Ralph stays or goes, mainly because like every manager since Puel, none of them have managed to improve the players (other than Ralphs brief early spell) simply because they are all rather average (as is evidenced by only 2 players sold at a profit).

• Like 1

Ugh! So this week they've wheeled out AMN to say, "we must be braver!".

Are the club really this utterly tone deaf?

I think RH will be here for quite some time and will only get the push in March or something...

They are like that dog in the meme, sitting in the burning building drinking coffee saying "this is fine".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DT said:

Sadly more likely to go there.  Why are we prevaricating?

13 minutes ago, Viking Saint said:

'The Southampton Way'

Yes, as someone pointed out on the thread both Semmens and Steele served with Reed so if they learnt nothing else it's good to see that the Art of Dither is still in the club DNA.

Edited by Badger
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, OttawaSaint said:

I think RH will be here for quite some time and will only get the push in March or something...

They are like that dog in the meme, sitting in the burning building drinking coffee saying "this is fine".

This Is Fine GIF

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, OttawaSaint said:

they should have just got a post match hojbjerg clip from about 4 years ago and put it out. 

Be amazed if Poch goes to Villa. There are exceptions (Ancelotti being a big one) but you're generally only as good as your last job. As ex-PSG boss he's currently in line for Juve, Barca or whoever pulls the trigger next on their current manager. If he joins Villa he goes back to being a mid-table PL manager who hasn't won much.

2 hours ago, Badger said:

Yes, as someone pointed out on the thread both Semmens and Steele served with Reed so if they learnt nothing else it's good to see that the Art of Dither is still in the club DNA.

It appears that this is the case, we have a tone deaf board and clumsy club media, attempting to ride out the storm.  I think the fans can sense that on this occasion the club may well run out of luck.

I think that the board are trying to tie someone up before giving Ralph the heave-ho. Wolves seem to be struggling to find someone suitable and clearly didn't have anyone in mind when sacking Lage, with Bosz now linked. 

Edited by skintsaint

5 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

I think that the board are trying to tie someone up before giving Ralph the heave-ho. Wolves seem to be struggling to find someone suitable and clearly didn't have anyone in mind when sacking Lage, with Bosz now linked. 

Yeah I agree with this, lots of managers getting sacked now so more options are coming into play and he was never going to get sacked this week of West Ham/Bmouth.

From a timing perspective its hard, if we lose on weds I can see him gone after but if we win and then dont lose to arsenal then i think he will make it to the wc break.

49 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Frank probably has said pay me more as have had some clubs want me as their manager offering me 6m a year or so ;) - he was already tied down for another 3 years.

Haha but seriously it’s Peanuts to pay the compensation to get the right guy in compared to the money we’ve blown in recent times. If we could persuade him with transfer fund and salary etc, club and facilities are all there

1 hour ago, DT said:

Gerrard sacked apparently. Wish our club’s dozy management would be as decisive. 

Slightly different I think Villa have some decent players and are performing badly we have very few decent players and are performing as expected

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Poch is a player pull.

An unknown manager is not going to attract the same calibre of player.

I'd agree. But if SR policy is attracting the young up and coming kids the attraction of first team football and a stepping stone to something bigger is probably a bigger attraction than the manager himself.

A big respected name is probably more likely to attract older well established experienced players, something we are blatantly desperate for at the moment.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

I'd agree. But if SR policy is attracting the young up and coming kids the attraction of first team football and a stepping stone to something bigger is probably a bigger attraction than the manager himself.

A big respected name is probably more likely to attract older well established experienced players, something we are blatantly desperate for at the moment.

I agree but at the moment the Policy of SR is not working because there are many players who are not that good

• Haha 1

Experience and leadership is what we need. Ward-Prowse does not strike me as a leader or someone that gets aggressive with his team mates.

I’m all for him being poster boy, but I don’t see him as a captain.

Back to the managers; I think we need one that will attract that leadership, even if it is that older player and it isn’t SR’s grand plan.

Edited by FarehamSaintJames

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Experience and leadership is what we need. Ward-Prowse does not strike me as a leader or someone that gets aggressive with his team mates.

I’m all for him being poster boy, but I don’t see him as a captain.

Back to the managers; I think we need one that will attract that leadership, even if it is that older player and it isn’t SR’s grand plan.

Totally agree. Ward-Prowse has never been that player. We need a bit of 'roll your sleeves up' grit. Not many of our squad offer that, sadly.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DT said:

Totally agree. Ward-Prowse has never been that player. We need a bit of 'roll your sleeves up' grit. Not many of our squad offer that, sadly.

How many of them have we actually had since promotion? Jos, Wanyama, Romeu, VVD. I think Lavia could be the next mind.

2 hours ago, DT said:

I think it’s one of the few times we’ve agreed 🤣

Jack Stephens and Oriol Romeu we’re better fits in terms of captains in my opinion.

Lyanco I wouldn’t say is a leader but is someone where if you say to him “get stuck in on this player” he will to the absolute max.

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I think it’s one of the few times we’ve agreed 🤣

Jack Stephens and Oriol Romeu we’re better fits in terms of captains in my opinion.

Lyanco I wouldn’t say is a leader but is someone where if you say to him “get stuck in on this player” he will to the absolute max.

I agree again. He was the one who sprang to mind. Sometimes it is transformative giving people such responsibility, but may be tricky and have the reverse effect taking it away from someone like JWP. 

• Like 1