The 'New Manager' thread

Bad Wolf

17 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

He won’t go until at least the World Cup; and that’s assuming he does go.

But the longer it is left and the more matches that pass by, the less appealing the club look.

What is this based on?

6 minutes ago, Badger said:

As Les used to tell us at the time of each appointment.

Yet we still ended with Pelligrino.

SR reminding me of Les with incredible procrastination levels - constant leaking of stories cannot be helping morale although the players did put some energy and effort in for the first half today. Obvious to all bar Ralph that midfield needed reinforcing second half but outwitted by Moyes. Realistically the successor with the sacking being so inexplicably delayed has to be looking at a decent Liebherr era budget to challenge for automatic promotion next season unless they can pull a survival escape on a par with 1998/9. I don’t know SR were smoking in the summer which made them thought the manager wasn’t a major part of the issue. 

Edited by saint1977
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Badger said:

As Les used to tell us at the time of each appointment.

Yet we still ended with Pelligrino.

I don’t blame Les for going with Peligrino, he had decent pedigree to succeed as manager. He was an Argentine  international, who played for Barca, played in two champions league finals, won the Uefa cup and 2 la Ligas. He was then Rafa’s coach, and managed Alavés to their first ever Copa del Rey final. People are calling for Selles to replace Ralph, he hasn’t got that sort of background. With hindsight it was an error, personally I can see exactly why they appointed him. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, DT said:

What is this based on?

Just my opinion. I’ve been saying it for weeks. Whereas you’ve been saying “he’s gone” after every game for a while now. 😂

I think of SR we’re going to do it they would’ve done it already. My guess is there were certain objectives and then they’d review by a certain point in the season. My guess is the World Cup period will be that time to review and address the problems.

18 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Just my opinion. I’ve been saying it for weeks. Whereas you’ve been saying “he’s gone” after every game for a while now. 😂

I think of SR we’re going to do it they would’ve done it already. My guess is there were certain objectives and then they’d review by a certain point in the season. My guess is the World Cup period will be that time to review and address the problems.

I haven’t said he’s gone once. I’ve said I wish he was gone lots of times. If we leave it until the World Cup we will be relegated. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I fear you’re right.  It seems ludicrous that the owners are happy to spunk winnable points until then.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Andy Hill said:

When was the last time we went up by 2 goals in Premiership Game ?  Must be close to 30 games ago. It seems as if EVERYONE now knows that if we score first the losing mentality will quickly kick in. This is totally down to the Management to fix.

The RH DNA runs deep. Will take quite some untangling. 

18 minutes ago, Andy Hill said:

When was the last time we went up by 2 goals in Premiership Game ?  Must be close to 30 games ago. It seems as if EVERYONE now knows that if we score first the losing mentality will quickly kick in. This is totally down to the Management to fix.

Norwich at home, 22 games ago, which says a lot to be fair. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I don’t blame Les for going with Peligrino, he had decent pedigree to succeed as manager. He was an Argentine  international, who played for Barca, played in two champions league finals, won the Uefa cup and 2 la Ligas. He was then Rafa’s coach, and managed Alavés to their first ever Copa del Rey final. People are calling for Selles to replace Ralph, he hasn’t got that sort of background. With hindsight it was an error, personally I can see exactly why they appointed him. 

Spot on, signing him based on what he had achieved in his footballing life wasn’t the problem, it was taking too long to make a change, just like now 

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I take your point but he has to shoulder some of the blame even on that one.  That Alaves league position was a bit of an anomaly with Real Madrid, Atletico and Barca basically loaning out all their youth players to Alaves for that one spectacular season.  Sure, Pellegrino still had to coach them and by all accounts did an expected job, but even then a bit of due diligence and some patience may have shown the real face of a manager that has been sacked all the way back to Argentina.  He was a very risky appointment in a time where we couldn't really afford it.  It was compounded with the Carillo mess, which even the majority on here knew was fucking shite!

• Like 2

Maybe Semmens was talking from a position of knowing more about the ambitions of SR than we do when he said it doesn't matter where we finish. It seemed an odd thing to say but the longer this debacle goes on the more what he said has a ring of truth about it.

58 minutes ago, MAY-Z said:

Spot on, signing him based on what he had achieved in his footballing life wasn’t the problem, it was taking too long to make a change, just like now 

Said it before and I’ll say it again, look at who’s still at the club from the Les days of dithering. Semmens was very important at the club at the time when Krueger was really just a figurehead.  

The current board are a problem but the real problem with Ralph is that he’s on £6m a year and we are shit commercially and are a declining losing attraction for fans, sponsors etc. whilst things are as crap as they are. Hopefully SR have deep pockets to cover his pay out, and some proven creative and goal scoring players, but they’ve been sold a doozy in its current state and hopefully that doesn’t mean they’ve not got much left. 

45 minutes ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

Said it before and I’ll say it again, look at who’s still at the club from the Les days of dithering. Semmens was very important at the club at the time when Krueger was really just a figurehead.  

The current board are a problem but the real problem with Ralph is that he’s on £6m a year and we are shit commercially and are a declining losing attraction for fans, sponsors etc. whilst things are as crap as they are. Hopefully SR have deep pockets to cover his pay out, and some proven creative and goal scoring players, but they’ve been sold a doozy in its current state and hopefully that doesn’t mean they’ve not got much left. 

They dont need deep pockets to cover Ralphs pay out. Replacing and paying off sacked managers is part and parcel of the game and surely they appreciate that funds will be regularly needed for this. Would love to know what Watford have paid out in the past 10 years!!

Having the right man at the helm is as important as any 20-30 million pound marquee signing, therefore money should be no issue. Hopefully the delay in removing Ralph is down to identifying his replacement

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dark Munster said:

And since then:

Played 22

Won 3

Drawn 4 

Lost 15

Scored 18

Conceded 48

Points 13

It should be noted that there was plenty of talk on MOTD2 about Gerrard's future (Ralph's position wasnt even mentioned).

His record as Villa manager in the same period -

Won 7

Drew 6

Lost 10

Points 27

Over double the number of points that we've accumulated, yet hes under immense pressure 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 3

8 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

It should be noted that there was plenty of talk on MOTD2 about Gerrard's future (Ralph's position wasnt even mentioned).

His record as Villa manager in the same period -

Won 7

Drew 6

Lost 10

Points 27

Over double the number of points that we've accumulated, yet hes under immense pressure 🤷🏼‍♂️

The expectations at Villa are higher.

30 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

People asking for Emma Hayes ffs 

why not? Serial winner, record of high achievement getting the best out of the team, proven track record in England and would cement our place at the top of the table of forward thinking clubs who do things differently. Her emergency hysterectomy might have put the brakes on anything happening this time, but not rule out this sort of out of the box thinking in future.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

why not? Serial winner, record of high achievement getting the best out of the team, proven track record in England and would cement our place at the top of the table of forward thinking clubs who do things differently. Her emergency hysterectomy might have put the brakes on anything happening this time, but not rule out this sort of out of the box thinking in future.

🤔

12 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

So are ours than what we are getting now.

Yeah, we want Champions League according to club representative Adam Blackmore. Arrogant fans like us should be happy with what we’re given but those who know better than us. Please sir, can we have just a few more wins, we’ll be ever so grateful to you if you can do this but we know we shouldn’t question you. 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Turkish said:

because the standard of the football in which she has won her titles is awful compared to any football league team let alone premier league. 

• Like 1