The 'New Manager' thread

Bad Wolf

1 hour ago, John Boy Saint said:

Blackmore uttered his name in the post match chit chat on Solent driving home.

Doing the cursory Wiki check, I do remember him as a player, genuine ‘10’ and boy could we have done with one of those now!

Good record in South America and River Plate legend but no European experience and don’t know if he’s multi-lingual. Didn’t stop Poch having said that. Perhaps he’ll pick it up by the time he replaces Conte at Spurs 😉

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcelo_Gallardo

• Like 1

On 21/10/2022 at 20:44, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Exactly. We've got a mediocre squad and with arguably our three best players missing against Arsenal, the Ralph Out brigade will still be lamenting our manager if we lose.

Replacing Ralph is not the answer. Another manager will guarantee relegation. Remember slobby chops? Ralph is reactive but the fact is there is no magic messiah who can turn our players in to world beaters. And for those who criticise our lack of ambition, we spent money over the summer without selling any of our better players.

You refer contemptuously to the 'Ralph Out Brigade\ as if it was just one or two hecklers on the sidelines calling for him to go. Did you not see the recent poll on here where over 75% of sainst web users want rid?

Wake up and sniff the coffee before you write your next load of tripe!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I remember Gallardo as a player, he was pretty good to my recollection, regular for the Argentina national team in mid to late 90s. Don't know much about him as a manager but he seems have been manager at River Plate for 8 years and is regarded as their greatest ever coach. 

Whether there is anything there I don't know but knowing River he'll have brought through a lot of youngsters and will be used to seeing his best players sold often. 

Edited by tajjuk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

You refer contemptuously to the 'Ralph Out Brigade\ as if it was just one or two hecklers on the sidelines calling for him to go. Did you not see the recent poll on here where over 75% of sainst web users want rid?

Wake up and sniff the coffee before you write your next load of tripe!

You've completely made that up.

3 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

Blackmore uttered his name in the post match chit chat on Solent driving home.

like this bit from wiki

He is considered the greatest coach in River Plate history.[7][82][81] Gallardo was named the best 2019 football coach in the Americas by the Uruguayan newspaper El País, and the second-best in the world by the football website Club World Ranking.[

Just now, richardc said:

like this bit from wiki

He is considered the greatest coach in River Plate history.[7][82][81] Gallardo was named the best 2019 football coach in the Americas by the Uruguayan newspaper El País, and the second-best in the world by the football website Club World Ranking.[

Surely a big spanish club would come in for him? Cant see why we would be of any interest to him whatsoever.

Would be good to get some expertise on the South American markets, as that's one we haven't really explored before. Although, again, you'd have reservations regarding whether he could manage as well in Europe, or at a smaller side than River Plate.

11 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Would be good to get some expertise on the South American markets, as that's one we haven't really explored before. Although, again, you'd have reservations regarding whether he could manage as well in Europe, or at a smaller side than River Plate.

No it wouldn't. As an Atlanta United fan I've seen a long line of so called South American talent come through our club with only 1 impressing enough to go onto bigger things, Almiron. Most go back south on loan.

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Atlanta Saint said:

No it wouldn't. As an Atlanta United fan I've seen a long line of so called South American talent come through our club with only 1 impressing enough to go onto bigger things, Almiron. Most go back south on loan.

I'm guessing that Atlanta may not be the normal pathway from South America for its top talent.

2 hours ago, tajjuk said:

I remember Gallardo as a player, he was pretty good to my recollection, regular for the Argentina national team in mid to late 90s. Don't know much about him as a manager but he seems have been manager at River Plate for 8 years and is regarded as their greatest ever coach. 

Whether there is anything there I don't know but knowing River he'll have brought through a lot of youngsters and will be used to seeing his best players sold often. 

Yeah, he was a very good runner with the ball. Along with Ortega and Aimar he was among the first of the "new Maradona" brigade.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

Poch is waiting for Saints.  Bloke down the pub told me.

I would take him back in a heartbeat (not that he would consider us) but are some a little bitter about the manner he ditched us? 

Emery is a great appointment, look at how much he won at Sevilla and Villareal. His spell at Arsenal wasn't bad, you only have to look how long it took Arteta to get them decent to see that Emery did a decent job, plus most of the board above Emery have left or been sacked and there are better people running the club now. 

He's won the Europa league 4 times, been to another final with Arsenal, got Villareal to the Champs league semi-final (and gave Liverpool a scare) and 5 trophies with PSG (though not that hard). 

That is more trophies than probably all but 3 managers in the PL. 

• Like 2

On 23/10/2022 at 20:00, Badger said:

See mention of the name Marcelo Daniel Gallardo on another thread.

Did Les leave behind his magic South American Name Generator software with the black box ?

Saints would be a good club for Gallardo to build his European career, and if Netflix do a remake of Fantasy island he'd be a shoe-in for Tattoo.

4 hours ago, Mr X said:

I would take him back in a heartbeat (not that he would consider us) but are some a little bitter about the manner he ditched us? 

He only ditched us because we ditched Cortese. Poch would bring back attacking style and it would be fun again 

8 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

Villa have done very well there. I wonder how much they are paying him and how much compensation they paid Villarreal?

Beeb reckon £5.2m Villarreal compo.  Shouldn't be too difficult to be an improvement on Gerrard, you'd think. 

Wonder how much Arsenal will look forward to Villa away.   

On 24/10/2022 at 11:16, notnowcato said:

I'm guessing that Atlanta may not be the normal pathway from South America for its top talent.

It was a pathway when Tata Martino and Gabriel Heinze were the head coaches, a constant flow of so called talent came north. Three of the highest transfer fees to MLS have been South American players to Atlanta Utd.

9 minutes ago, Atlanta Saint said:

It was a pathway when Tata Martino and Gabriel Heinze were the head coaches, a constant flow of so called talent came north. Three of the highest transfer fees to MLS have been South American players to Atlanta Utd.

Without wishing to go all MLG on you; "a pathway" is distinctly different to "normal pathway". 

Atlanta did pretty well with some of its outbound sales of that South American talent, so not all bad, right?

18 minutes ago, Atlanta Saint said:

His point was; The best players from South America would go to Europe (Spain or Portugal usually), not the MLS. 

12 minutes ago, Dman said:

His point was; The best players from South America would go to Europe (Spain or Portugal usually), not the MLS. 

Indeed, just from current highly thought of Brazilians in the Premier League, Alisson went to Roma, Antony to Ajax, Casemiro and Fabinho to Real Madrid, Coutinho to Inter, Ederson to Benfica, Firmino to Hoffenheim, Fred and Willian to Shakhtar, Jesus to City, Gabriel to Lille, Martinelli to Arsenal, Guimares to Lyon, Moura to PSG, Richarlison to Watford, Thiago Silva to Porto.

None had a little jaunt in the MLS, where the not so good South American's get picked up. A lot did however go to elite clubs at first opportunity, clubs that we can't compete with on paper. However, if we can be seen to be a Premier League pathway for these players then we might be able to pick some up before they go on to the elite clubs, similar to what we're doing with young European talent now.

• Like 2

I saw Mainz conceded 6 at Bayern Munich at the weekend. No surprise their manager's name has been mentioned on here before, he's clearly on his way to meeting the 'coping with a tonking' criteria that will be a pre-requisite for the Saints job.

5 minutes ago, Badger said:

I saw Mainz conceded 6 at Bayern Munich at the weekend. No surprise their manager's name has been mentioned on here before, he's clearly on his way to meeting the 'coping with a tonking' criteria that will be a pre-requisite for the Saints job.

I watched them score 5 goals the week before. Although it was against 10, their attacking tactic down the flank was directly related to that red card. Do "attacking" "tactic" and "goals" sound like anyone who would fit in here? 🙂

• Like 1

How about Vincent Kompany??

doing a superb job with Burnley got a cheaply assembled squad playing great stuff.. sonething about him always looked the type to be a good manager .. type of manager that commands respect of the young players by his own achievements and be great for them to learn from him (especially the ex city players )

kinda expecting to get replies of why would he join us.. well we are already premiership and they are not promoted yet .. could pay him more money , historicity we are bigger then Burnley anyway.. chance to work with a some great talents like lavia and ABK..,

why not ?

Edited by pimpin4rizeal
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

How about Vincent Kompany??

doing a superb job with Burnley got a cheaply assembled squad playing great stuff.. sonething about him always looked the type to be a good manager .. type of manager that commands respect of the young players by his own achievements and be great for them to learn from him (especially the ex city players )

kinda expecting to get replies of why would he join us.. well we are already premiership and they are not promoted yet .. could pay him more money , historicity we are bigger then Burnley anyway.. chance to work with a some great talents like lavia and ABK..,

why not ?

Would be brilliant and suggested before but no way would he leave for us, as you say. They have the momentum. We're going in the opposite direction

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, DT said:

Would be brilliant and suggested before but no way would he leave for us, as you say. They have the momentum. We're going in the opposite direction

I dunno joining us would still be a big upwards move for him.. he gets to jump to being a premiership manager without having to finish the job at Burnley- championship a tough league it could still go wrong ..

we could pay him more money .. and he gets to work with higher quality players like ABK lavia etc, atm he’s using players like tella on loan 

don’t see much downside in moving for him bar missing out a promotion with Burnley for his cv 

29 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

I dunno joining us would still be a big upwards move for him.. he gets to jump to being a premiership manager without having to finish the job at Burnley- championship a tough league it could still go wrong ..

we could pay him more money .. and he gets to work with higher quality players like ABK lavia etc, atm he’s using players like tella on loan 

don’t see much downside in moving for him bar missing out a promotion with Burnley for his cv 

He comes and gets relegated? Has to move away from Manchester? Think he's got a pretty sweet deal at Burnley right now tbh.

• Like 1

He’d be a fool to leave Burnley. I really like what he’s doing there. Clearly on the up. Clear way of playing. Good attacking press!

Edit two mins after positing: MLG, have you set up notifications for every time I post just so you can reply with a confused emoji? Your obsession with me is a little creepy now. Have you ever agreed with anyone else?

With this I mind, what do you actually disagree with? You think Kompany isn’t doing a good job? It is safe to engage with other people in football conversation on this forum. Don’t be scared. It isn’t frowned upon. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤣

Edited by FarehamSaintJames
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

He’d be a fool to leave Burnley. I really like what he’s doing there. Clearly on the up. Clear way of playing. Good attacking press!

Edit two mins after positing: MLG, have you set up notifications for every time I post just so you can reply with a confused emoji? Your obsession with me is a little creepy now. Have you ever agreed with anyone else?

With this I mind, what do you actually disagree with? You think Kompany isn’t doing a good job? It is safe to engage with other people in football conversation on this forum. Don’t be scared. It isn’t frowned upon. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤣

It wouldn’t be mad really . Even if he gets Burnley promoted he will be fighting relegation with them next season anyway..

we are a bigger club then Burnley with better players and a division higher and could pay him more and they are not certain promotion yet..

lol and your the one that kept suggesting poch.. if we can’t attract a Burnley manager from the championship good luck with him 😅

9 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

It wouldn’t be mad really . Even if he gets Burnley promoted he will be fighting relegation with them next season anyway..

we are a bigger club then Burnley with better players and a division higher and could pay him more and they are not certain promotion yet..

lol and your the one that kept suggesting poch.. if we can’t attract a Burnley manager from the championship good luck with him 😅

I’d love Poch to come back. Many would take him. Realistically it won’t happen though. 😅

Difference is Poch a bit more established and experienced than Kompany is.
And yes you’re right, Kompany would probably be fighting relegation next season should he get Burnley promoted, but his stock will go up quicker by staying there than moving to us.