The 'New Manager' thread

Bad Wolf

10 minutes ago, Badger said:

Perhaps he didn't feel they were ready or up to it. Whose judgement would you rely on his, or Semmens ?

We'll find out when the new manager is appointed. If he also doesn't pick them, we'll know they're probably not good enough or ready enough...yet. 

29 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Where has this Nathan Jones rumour come from exactly?

I'm wondering if Ankersen is actually looking to try and replicate the success Brentford have had by promoting from within and is considering giving the job full time to Selles. Would be a massive gamble, but I expect all the Brentford fans said the same about Frank when he was given the top job and that has worked out well for them.

From the fact that Luton have tweeted they've given us permission to speak to him. 

• Haha 1

Whenever they bring in has it’s own element of risk.

Nathan Jones isn’t someone I’d have thought we’d be looking at but it is what it is. 
No doubt if he’s in charge for Liverpool and we lose half the fan base will be calling for his sacking etc.

I do think the club should’ve gone for a bigger name but I’ll back whoever is brought in.

35 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I'm not devastated about that, I've never heard of him until about three weeks ago.

Recruiting Nathan Jones shows the scope of ambition of the club. The Les Reed culture of "look how awfully clever and different we are" lives on. Inexperienced squad + Inexperienced manager in a league season where it is really hard to see 3 other clubs clearly worse than us.

This is not the recruitment move we need right now. 

He got to the play offs last season, great. Look at the team and manager who won the frigging play offs right now.

It might work out but the overwhelming most likely scenario is relegation.

A couple of days of exciting speculation would be nice but the Bananarama Sturrock it is.

Remember when we go down under Nathan jones it wont be his squad so completely absolved of any blame whatsoever.

I’m Surprised Luton have commented on this so early.  I was thinking Jones would be one of several candidates we’d be speaking to but maybe we’ve already made up our mind.

I’ll trust the board on this one but he’s going to have to hit the ground running or it will go very sour very quickly.  He’s got no pedigree to garner any patience from the fans or players like Ralph did

6 minutes ago, Yorkshire Saint said:

Some Luton mates say the football at home is good. High press, high energy but away from home its always a case of just trying to keep the ball out of the net, not much else. Seems a high risk, low cost appointment.

Sounds good to me . A bit of excitement at home and a point away from home is always good news

Jones fits the philosophy of the new owners. Recruiting talent before it’s emerged. It’s risky, but no riskier than signing Lavia, Tino, Edozie etc. If we want the Thomas Franks etc we have to get them before they emerge. Think these owners have shown themselves to be good at recruitment so far and we should back them here. 

As for Jones specifically I’d urge you to ignore the toxicity of the internet and actually research him, his interviews etc as he actually comes across really well. His coaches voice segment is good, his record with Luton is incredible and as good if not better than Frank’s with Brentford. There’s not much not to like imho. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Oh, my giddy aunt, a badge thumper. As my daughter just said to me, no experience of the PL and no experience of getting a team out of a PL dogfight. I assume he is the cheap option to make up for RH pay off

Like Poch RH had...

Guess you wanted Dyche...

Give the guy a chance to mess up before you write him off

• Like 1

At this point, you can probably guess that Luton are more akin to a Burnley than a Liverpool. They favour long passes in possession of the ball, in fact playing the most long passes per game in the league this season at 76 per game. With just 44.2% of the possession, only Birmingham have completed fewer than their 255 short passes per game. Their main targets for these passes are vertical, straightforward passes into their target men, with one often knocking the ball onto the other to sprint in behind.

https://themastermindsite.com/2022/04/29/nathan-jones-luton-town-tactical-analysis/

Some fans on here will loving this. Get it up to the big man!

• Haha 3

Wilfred Nancy would be a name I'd be looking at. He transformed a very poor CF Montreal team that Thierry Henry failed with, into title contenders this year. Finished 2nd in east and lost in conference semi.

In watched them a lot and his style would definitely got our club.

14 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

I’m Surprised Luton have commented on this so early.  I was thinking Jones would be one of several candidates we’d be speaking to but maybe we’ve already made up our mind.

I’ll trust the board on this one but he’s going to have to hit the ground running or it will go very sour very quickly.  He’s got no pedigree to garner any patience from the fans or players like Ralph did

A good mate of mine has connections at Luton within the club, sounds like it's a done deal 

• Sad 2

20 minutes ago, Yorkshire Saint said:

Some Luton mates say the football at home is good. High press, high energy but away from home its always a case of just trying to keep the ball out of the net, not much else. Seems a high risk, low cost appointment.

My Luton mate.
my sources telling me nathan jones leaving and finalising compensation and who will leave with him

will end in tears and his teams play shit football

Irony alert in the last bit.

7 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Jones fits the philosophy of the new owners. Recruiting talent before it’s emerged. It’s risky, but no riskier than signing Lavia, Tino, Edozie etc. If we want the Thomas Franks etc we have to get them before they emerge. Think these owners have shown themselves to be good at recruitment so far and we should back them here. 

As for Jones specifically I’d urge you to ignore the toxicity of the internet and actually research him, his interviews etc as he actually comes across really well. His coaches voice segment is good, his record with Luton is incredible and as good if not better than Frank’s with Brentford. There’s not much not to like imho. 

I would suggest 7 wins in 38 is something not to like - also:

Premier league experience

Experience of managing in a top European league

Experience of managing in a in a top league elswhere

Experience of managing top class youngsters

Having the ability to attract a decent striker in January

• Confused 1

You packed your bags as I recall
And you walked slowly down the hall
You said you had to get away to ease your mind
And all you needed was a just little of time
Oh winter's passed, spring and fall
You never wrote me, you never called
Nathan Jones you've been gone too long
Gone too long
If a woman could die of tears
Nathan Jones, well, I wouldn't be here
The key that you're holding won't fit my door
And there's no room in my heart for you no more
'Cause, winter's passed, spring and fall
Gone too long
Nathan Jones, Nathan Jones
Nathan Jones, ooh
Winter's passed, spring and fall
Gone too long
Gone too long
Gone too long
Nathan jones you've been gonne too long
Gone too long

7 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

https://themastermindsite.com/2022/04/29/nathan-jones-luton-town-tactical-analysis/

This is smart from the owners. They've highlighted that we haven't got a midfield, so punting it long seems smart.

Shame we got rid of Shane Long to chase those long punts 

5 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

As opposed to mincing around with it going absolutely nowhere, until giving it away. 

2 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Biggest shock is how many of us know Luton supporters hahahaha

And they’re all ITK. Fucking place must be as leaky as our defence. 

What's this about Nathan Jones being a young manager. He is 49 and just 2 years younger than Ralph was when appointed.

With him in charge we will at least win the "most tattooed manager" competition. As a devout Christian at least we will have God on our side.

3 minutes ago, whiteleySaint30 said:

I don't disagree but almost the entire point of Saints at the moment seems to be to give someone a chance to do those type of things because of the theory that once they have already done them they are, for some reason, unattainable to us.

I am more concerned by the 3 CB formation and supposed direct style rather than an him not having managed in the PL before.

As for a striker, thats not his job to do.

29 minutes ago, Yorkshire Saint said:

8 minutes ago, JRM said:

A good mate of mine has connections at Luton within the club, sounds like it's a done deal 

8 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

My Luton mate.
my sources telling me nathan jones leaving and finalising compensation and who will leave with him

will end in tears and his teams play shit football

Irony alert in the last bit.

5 minutes ago, JRM said:

My Luton mate sent me this, he loves a chest pump with the fans 

https://mobile.twitter.com/gracust/status/909086822856380416/video/1

I don't have any Luton mates 😔

7 minutes ago, whiteleySaint30 said:

Top Class Youngsters, at SFC? Really?

Come back Ralph, all is forgiven ffs.

Couldn’t be any more underwhelmed with an appointment such as this Jones from Luton.

Villa go with Unai Emery, a guy with European and big club pedigree and he’s already got them motivated enough to demolish Man Utd in his first game.

But we’ll delve into the cheap Championship option again and hope we get 17th whilst he recruits his Luton pals in the winter window ffs, bringing in Carlton Morris to shore up or striking options, along with Che and A.Armstrong who have lit the premier league alight with their 25 goal seasons since joining.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Some of the best football I've seen us play was hitting it early to Pelle with Mane, Davis, Tadic and Lallana causing problems around him. With Adams ability to hold it up when it's played to his feet and chest I wouldn't be against us getting it forward quicker. 

This is extremely underwhelming. When you consider the fact that if we'd pushed the button earlier on Ralph there could have been a conversation with Emery or Lopetegui to be had. Not saying they would have come here but we could have tried to sell them 'the project.' Not only is this a massive gamble in the management stakes but also on the January recruitment drive. You look at those aforementioned managers with 5 Europa titles to their names and they are a pull to players with European experience / desires. No disrespect to Nathan Jones but a playoff semi final loss isn't quite the same draw. Some will berate me for negativity but the board have massively misread the room if they think this will placate the fanbase after months of dismal on-field performances. I can already hear the middle management bullsh*t speech from Semmens, "Nathan really epitomises all that The Southampton Way is, he is young and hungry with a real desire for success on and off the pitch" 

• Like 3