The 'New Manager' thread

Bad Wolf

At a time when we needed another Koeman-like appointment, where the manager can draw on his charisma and network to attract quality players, we go for the Sturrock-like option of a "Yes man" who will attract nothing but people waiting for him to fail.

To say I'm underwhelmed is an understatement. TikTok.

• Like 5

Evan by the standards of this board, many of the reactions here are FUCKING BOGGLING.

We knew fuck all about this bloke before our frantic Googling yet we're all suddenly expert enough to predict precisely how terrible a job he'll do for us. Give the dude a fucking chance! SR have undoubtedly made mistakes with Ralph, but they DO have a track record of good managerial appointments. Let's at least give anyone new the chance to fuck up before we write them off.

Saying all of that, though, I personally find the overt Christianity element a real turn off. Anyone who attributes fortunes to the whim of a beardy man in the sky and not to planning and players should surely have their sanity realistically questioned because that's the definition of mental. But I'll forgive him his fairytales and make believe if he can get something out of our current squad.

1 hour ago, Midfield_General said:

Yeah but he was widely known to be an absolute solid gold throbber. 

However, this alone has made wading through the swamp of this thread totally worth it. 'Solid gold throbber'. Proper snorted my tea.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Badger said:

Think sacking Adkins for some unknown bloke who didn't speak English was pretty heated to be honest.

Speaking personally I could see the potential of Poch based on his time at Espanyol. By contrast I am rather worried about Jones although not completely writing him off like a lot of people seem to be. It's his style of play that's my main worry, doesn't sound very sophisticated

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer

1 hour ago, OldNick said:

Crikes, imagine if he turns us down lol

It would make him a hero there and also make up for when he left them.

I think the club watch social media and I havent seen such a negative backlash since it looked like we were going to ask Hoddle to return

Another god botherer!

Call me cynical, but I still believe Sellles is who the club have in line as our long-term manager and an appointment like Jones isn't going to push Selles below loads of high-profile backroom staff, far from it - he's probably been asked to work with what is here, for the reason I stated.

• Like 2

It's taken me over 15 years but I think I've figured out how this internet football forum opinion malarkey works at long last. So, here goes, wish me well....

Absolutely dreadful appointment if we go for Jones. What on Earth are the club thinking FFS. Championship here we come. 

("Told you so" and "Glad I was proven wrong'" cards duly poised)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

Evan by the standards of this board, many of the reactions here are FUCKING BOGGLING.

We knew fuck all about this bloke before our frantic Googling yet we're all suddenly expert enough to predict precisely how terrible a job he'll do for us. Give the dude a fucking chance! SR have undoubtedly made mistakes with Ralph, but they DO have a track record of good managerial appointments. Let's at least give anyone new the chance to fuck up before we write them off.

We haven’t got time to give him a chance, he’s got to get results instantly, he’s got to inspire and put dynamite up the arse of every one of our guys - are our players going to be inspired by this unknown, did well at Luton but fucked up with Stoke, kind of guy?

We needed someone like Dyche, you can see the passion he has on the sideline, he’s the sort of guy that could “hairdryer” the players properly and get them moving - I reckon he’d have some decent contacts to get us a good one or two target men that we desperately need up top to get us the goals to stay up, yet we’ll end up with this dude bringing in Carlton Morris to lead our line and be worse than the two championship guys that we already bought.

Probably get shot down for having settled for a guy like Dyche, but I’d have had him in a heartbeat over this guy, I’d have not been feeling as underwhelmed and despondent about our impending relegation, as it feels now, as I do.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Good tactical analysis of how he likes his teams set up.

https://themastermindsite.com/2022/04/29/nathan-jones-luton-town-tactical-analysis/

Going by this, we know Adams hold up play is actually pretty good. Who is the other striker to be the "runner"? I guess Mara, maybe Theo? 

I think the players in the squad actually fill the jobs needed for that formation.

Three centre backs, one can push up. Yeah we got that.

Wing backs that push forward, yup.

Midfield BMW, that's Lavia.

JWP and Stu playing further forward will do a job. 

Che for the holdup play, then the other striker (this will be the problem, but we knew that).

It's crude, but it kinda fits. 

• Like 2

Really piss poor small club mentality appointment,  really does seem there planning for championship, i was hoping a bit more of marquee manager, SR seem a bit like clueless cowboys, on 1 hand moneys no option to a degree for a striker then we get a tinpot manager in for a mars bar and can of coke, bang goes any hope of attracting a quality striker we desperatly need 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Regardless of you personal opinions on Jones, the fact that we're going for someone that we have to pay compensation to bring to the club suggests it's not an 'unambitious, anyone will do, yes man' but a well thought out and targeted appointment. Argue the merits of Jones all you want, but he's clearly someone the club wants, not someone who just happens to be available and is good enough

Edited by Christophenburg
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Call me cynical, but I still believe Sellles is who the club have in line as our long-term manager and an appointment like Jones isn't going to push Selles below loads of high-profile backroom staff, far from it - he's probably been asked to work with what is here, for the reason I stated.

This is something that has been spouted a few times on here, but has no real substance to it. 

Jones was apparently targeted in the summer (according to a post on here at least 2 weeks ago. Way too random to name Jones if you didn’t know something), he’s clearly someone we have had an eye on for some time. 

I’d expect Jones to bring at least 1 of his own back room staff with him. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Christophenburg said:

Regardless of you personal opinions on Jones, the fact that we're going for someone that we have to pay compensation to bring to the club suggestions it's not an unambitious, anyone will do yes man but a well thought out and targeted appointment. Argue the merits of Jones all you want, but he's clearly someone the club wants, not someone who just happens to be available and is good enough

I agree. This is a clear target of ours and one we’ve clearly been looking at / tracking for some time. 

If it’s right or not, time will tell, but Rasmus clearly see’s something.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, danjosaint said:

Really piss poor small club mentality appointment,  really does seem there planning for championship, i was hoping a bit more of marquee manager, SR seem a bit like clueless cowboys, on 1 hand moneys no option to a degree for a striker then we get a tinpot manager in for a mars bar and can of coke, bang goes any hope of attracting a quality striker we desperatly need 

Top managers wouldn’t come to Saints as they couldn’t buy top quality (very expensive) players . Until someone comes along with a massive investment (very unlikely) we will remain a small budget club.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, East Kent Saint said:

Top managers wouldn’t come to Saints as they couldn’t buy top quality (very expensive) players . Until someone comes along with a massive investment (very unlikely) we will remain a small budget club.

That’s rubbish. Lavia is arguably one of the best CM’s In the league and imo will go to the WC with Belgium. 

There is absolutely no reason why we couldn’t market ourselves as a stepping stone for managers, like we do players. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

We have gone from the Tesco value of clubs to Asda smart essentials 😂

12 minutes ago, Dman said:

I agree. This is a clear target of ours and one we’ve clearly been looking at / tracking for some time. 

If it’s right or not, time will tell, but Rasmus clearly see’s something.

Who is making the decisions here now then, Rasmus or Semmens ?

As much as I was expecting a bigger name, or maybe an obscure one from Europe; this could be a very good move.

He's generally good with younger players. Plays half decent football, I imagine he's a good man-manager too (something I think is badly needed).

If he's hired my guess is his brief will be to work with the squad he's currently got with limited spending in January. Sport Republic are not going to spend another £50m.

He needs to be given a chance by everyone if he does join, and he may well bring some gems from the EFL too.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

As much as I was expecting a bigger name, or maybe an obscure one from Europe; this could be a very good move.

He's generally good with younger players. Plays half decent football, I imagine he's a good man-manager too (something I think is badly needed).

If he's hired my guess is his brief will be to work with the squad he's currently got with limited spending in January. Sport Republic are not going to spend another £50m.

He needs to be given a chance by everyone if he does join, and he may well bring some gems from the EFL too.

We are definitely going to be buying a striker or a goal assist machine in Jan surely.

• Like 1

I don't know what to make of it really. There's a long list of managers who earned their stripes in the Football League, enjoyed a lot of success, but then couldn't hack it in the Premier League. Managers such as Nigel Adkins, Paul Lambert, Carlos Carvalhal, Paulo Di Canio, Paul Ince, Chris Wilder, Brian McDermott and now currently Steve Cooper have all played a part in relegating a team up here after enjoying promotions down in the leagues below. Adkins took Reading down before anyone jumps on that! Eddie Howe, Brendan Rodgers and Thomas Frank are the outliers. It's certainly a risk going for Nathan Jones.

Additionally, there are certain things Sports Republic needed to get spot on since their takeover. They needed to get the goalkeeper position spot on and make a Boruc/Niemi/even a Forster esque signing. But we've ended up with someone with a lot of potential, but prone to a mistake and gave his best Angus Gunn impression yesterday. We also needed to get the striker position spot on and make a Pelle/Ings esque signing, but we ended up with nobody. The next thing Sports Republic cannot make a mistake on, or we will 100% be relegated is the vacant managerial position. We've recently seen Aston Villa buy out the contract of Emery, who was managing Villarreal, currently 8th in La Liga, and a multiple Europa League winner, who has Arsenal, PSG, Sevilla and Valencia on his CV. If it doesn't work out for him, you can at least see why they appointed him. While after weeks of faffing around, Wolves have finally appointed a former Real Madrid, Spain and Porto manager, who has also won the Europa League. There's a World Cup in a couple of weeks, there are going to be plenty of names available after that, I'm sure.

I'm also getting bored of this underdog narrative currently surrounding the club and that is where Jones has excelled at Luton, a club which doesn't have any expectations in the Championship, other than staying up. We've been a Premier League club for 10 years now and were one long before 2012 also. We're an established team up here now and should be acting like one, instead of what is currently happening. Mick Harford also has a big influence over Luton, he just isn't very good when he's in the manager position, he does however have a big connection to Luton, so I doubt he'd follow Jones here and the last time Jones had to manage big Premier League names and egos at a club with expectations, he failed, losing 17 of his 38 matches, winning just 6.

I sure do hope Stoke was a learning curve and Jones proves me wrong if this is the route we are going to go down, but at the moment it does not fill me with confidence.

Suppose I should be grateful it isn't a Gerrard/Lampard/Sherwood "name" appointment, or the cheap option in  Selles, who hasn't proven anything here yet.

Edited by HarvSFC
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Then we're relegated. He'll have nothing to work with.

Goals are needed and they will need to invest or lose a hell of a lot more money.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1