The 'New Manager' thread

Bad Wolf

6 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

I don’t think it’s a rush.  I think they have been selecting Ralph’s successor for a while now.

And Nathan Jones was the best they could come up with that was willing to come here? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, saintant said:

The quote from Blackmore says Saints have been given permission to speak with Nathan Jones after their match with Stoke tomorrow.

Crikes, imagine if he turns us down lol

It would make him a hero there and also make up for when he left them.

I think the club watch social media and I havent seen such a negative backlash since it looked like we were going to ask Hoddle to return

Edited by OldNick

2 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Nathan (%$*&*$*!) Jones, this is even worse than shopping in the bargain basement. Since when have Charity shops been dealing in PL managers. Poor sod can't even afford razor blades.

The board want us in the Championship next season for some reason, just can't put my finger on it? 

Should obviously have appointed you as you clearly know it all.

1 minute ago, bpsaint said:

Christ. This really is a weird fucking gamble, I sure hope SR know what they’re doing.

Suddenly the thought of Sean Dyche, a man that constantly over achieved on a shoestring budget doesn’t sound so bad.

Hope I'm proved wrong but yeah I'd have had sean dyche over this guy... Let's hope he turns out to be an amazing gem and we all eat our words... Can't see it though 

5 hours ago, Miltonaggro said:

Indeed, we will go for Nathan 'Inigo' Jones, the only similarity being that they are both 5ft 7ins short arses...

That’s a concern as it suggests they want someone who can be told what to do AND how to do it. Someone who will carry on playing with the same shite football.  Think I’d rather have Adkins back! Having said that, I’ve always been one to judge the Manager by the performances on the pitch and the results. Who knows this guy could be the re-boot we need, but at the moment it seems more like a Bednarek style own goal!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, LGTL said:

He’s surely not going to be in the dugout for the Luton v Stoke game is he? Pelters from both sets of fans 😂

It makes the whole thing a little more insane, but I don’t think he’ll get pelters from Luton fans. They generally seem gutted but understanding

Edited by Dman

25 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Eh? Since when has Che been any trouble? 

Bust up at the end with Ralph in full public glare. Mind you, Ralph has thrown him under the bus a few times, and they stopped him going to Everton, so guess he's resentful.

You have to admire SR for already planning for the championship though.... Maybe all Ralph's talk of expect us to loose 15-20 games every season (true but hardly inspiring the team) was preparing us for knowing our level 

15 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Eh? Since when has Che been any trouble? 

24 minutes ago, DT said:

Still underwhelmed, but this is worth a read: https://twitter.com/saints_analysis/status/1589636875790462976

I suppose we do need more team spirit. Just depends on whether billy big boots players like Che Adams give him a chance. 

We shouldn’t have any billy big boot players - not lying 18th in the table and the drive to sell any player that have achieved anything of note the past few seasons. So should not be anything for Jones to deal with. 

Jones may tick many of the analytical boxes but there is more to coaching than a computer saying ‘Yes’. We’ll probably never  know what other characteristics they consider.   

Have SR already sounded out higher calibre managers who have said no?

I look forward to the attempted PR push from the club when this appointment happens.

Bets on them wheeling Prowsey out to say “I’ve always wanted to work with *checks notes* Nathan Jones - he’s a proven manager with a stellar career: his achievements really are second to none. A scintillating run to the playoff semi final and a thrilling performance. I look forward to him repeating those achievements here.

btw sorry for losing heavily against Liverpool. Early days. The players need to work harder and concentrate for a full 90mins - it will come”

I don’t feel optimistic obviously. Being a footy fan for me is all about hope - you hope for a win and a few goals. When people are on form and playing well there is more hope. Ralph provided that post- hughes and it made a big difference. Atm there is not much hope or belief within the fan base after too many poor results and not enough goals. Nathan Jones doesn’t inspire more hope for me... 3/4 defeats and he’ll be massively under pressure and we’ll be fucked. 

3 minutes ago, Winnersaint said:

All we need, a god botherer as a manager!

I really don't see the issue, we have players who pray 5 times a day, who cares about their religion, if it makes him a better version of himself then fair play.

I just pray to the god of goalscorers that he helps our strikers.

• Like 5

Just now, Convict Colony said:

I really don't see the issue, we have players who pray 5 times a day, who cares about their religion, if it makes him a better version of himself then fair play.

I just pray to the god of goalscorers that he helps our strikers.

No issue with me. It's a kind of lame attempt to be sarcastic. we cant do him down for being Luton Manager and only having experience in the Championship then let's go after his religion.

47 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Crikes, imagine if he turns us down lol

It would make him a hero there and also make up for when he left them.

I think the club watch social media and I havent seen such a negative backlash since it looked like we were going to ask Hoddle to return

Think sacking Adkins for some unknown bloke who didn't speak English was pretty heated to be honest.

Can't say it's an exciting appointment but then I guess Brighton fans may not have been that excited about Graham Potter and Thomas Frank wouldn't have had heads turning when he became the Brentford manager.  Concerning that he tends to be direct but that might be because that's the best fit for the players he has.  Brentford are pretty direct anyway so anyone wanting Frank would have had to reconcile that.  We'll definitely need a big target man if that's how we want to play though.

Plenty of risk but any new appointment would be and I guess we're not the most attractive proposition and it's not the ideal time to be looking for a manager either.  

Not really worried about the god thing - entirely up to him and shouldn't be anything that is a factor in either his success or failure.

• Like 1