The 'New Manager' thread

Bad Wolf

Disappointing to see the guy written off by so many.  I was expecting Dyche or Rafa but am prepared to accept that club see potential in him, and he certainly has done wonders at Luton.  Like Howe at Burnley, he didn’t work our at Stoke, but most managers have a disappointment on their CV.

Lets get behind him

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Saint in Paradise said:

Well to be fair to this chap how many had heard of Nigel A. before he arrived and how many people wanted him to stay when he was sacked?

Some of these hot takes are absolutely appalling.

Adkins was hired as a man with two League One promotions under his belt. We hired the best guy we could get to get us promoted. The Nathan Jones equivalent in that scenario would be someone who got to the L2 play offs with Torquay or something the previous year.

And when Adkins was sacked he was higher up the table than Ralph is now. Was still a shame to get rid of him regardless of what came next.

Honestly this stuff is pitiful.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, GDog07 said:

We needed someone like Dyche, you can see the passion he has on the sideline, he’s the sort of guy that could “hairdryer” the players properly

From everything I've seen about NJ, he is exactly this sort of manager... I'm not saying he would be my choice, but this it something that he definitely will bring. 

Regardless of whether he would be our pick the fans need to get behind him, it's who we are likely to have. The ownership have seen something in what he does to suggest he is a good fit for the club. They saw something in players like Lavia too, so fingers crossed this is as successful! 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Good news is we can unbudget season tickets for next year, unless we want an away day in Luton of course.

Beginning to wonder if the Saints is some form of money laundering cover, i.e write down $150m through relegation to 'clean' some dirty money somewhere else in the group. Sale of the ground next ala Derby, Coventry and Wrexham ... 

• Confused 3

We’ve been tracking Jones for four months. Filming how his team plays doing Analytica on tactics. Even been filming his body language on the touchline. Knowing the way Rasmussen works I am confident this has been well thought through.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Badger said:

Surprised if it's his selection of manager.

Few reports saying this is his doing and also he was previously linked with Brentford

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/football-news/nathan-jones-luton-southampton-hasenhuttl-7792985

"It is understood that has impressed Southampton's owners Sport Republic and Rasmus Ankersen particularly, who was at Brentford when Jones was previously linked with the Bees, prior to Thomas Frank's appointment in 2018."

Edited by jayrivers
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

As much as I was expecting a bigger name, or maybe an obscure one from Europe; this could be a very good move.

He's generally good with younger players. Plays half decent football, I imagine he's a good man-manager too (something I think is badly needed).

If he's hired my guess is his brief will be to work with the squad he's currently got with limited spending in January. Sport Republic are not going to spend another £50m.

He needs to be given a chance by everyone if he does join, and he may well bring some gems from the EFL too.

‘Ralph isn’t going anywhere’

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, manji said:

We’ve been tracking Jones for four months. Filming how his team plays doing Analytica on tactics. Even been filming his body language on the touchline. Knowing the way Rasmussen works I am confident this has been well thought through.

That's interesting. Genuine question: how do you know this? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Some of these hot takes are absolutely appalling.

Adkins was hired as a man with two League One promotions under his belt. We hired the best guy we could get to get us promoted. The Nathan Jones equivalent in that scenario would be someone who got to the L2 play offs with Torquay or something the previous year.

And when Adkins was sacked he was higher up the table than Ralph is now. Was still a shame to get rid of him regardless of what came next.

Honestly this stuff is pitiful.

Agree, his appointment can only end in tears. 

Championship manager with Championship 'strikers', gravity will prevail!

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Call me cynical, but I still believe Sellles is who the club have in line as our long-term manager and an appointment like Jones isn't going to push Selles below loads of high-profile backroom staff, far from it - he's probably been asked to work with what is here, for the reason I stated.

Look forward to Selles being relieved of his duties later this week then. Any incoming manager would be wary of requests to keep x, y and z in the coaching set up

1 minute ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

We’ll spend some money but not an awful lot. Meaning I’d be shocked if we paid out £20m on one striker etc. 

Think we need 2 strikers to be honest but doubt we will get them, I'd want another hold up striker for Che and a quality finisher for all the others.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

Would fans be happier if:

1. Nathan Jones was a former international footballer

2. Nathan Jones was not of British nationality 

3. Nathan Jones was over achieving with a small European side

I'd be happier if he had achieved anything above Championship level. Anything.

• Like 4

The recurring comments I've seen from Hatters fans is that he doesn't like to utilise youth and he doesn't play attacking football. This seems to contradict our clubs philosophy somewhat. His spell at Stoke hardly inspires but there's no denying he's done an excellent job whilst at Luton.

Not the type of appointment I wanted. We've taken a huge gamble just like we did in the transfer window but I got to the point with Ralph where I'd take literally anyone else so I'll take Jones if that's who we go for.

Edited by Disco Stu

24 minutes ago, Forester said:

Disappointing to see the guy written off by so many.  I was expecting Dyche or Rafa but am prepared to accept that club see potential in him, and he certainly has done wonders at Luton.  Like Howe at Burnley, he didn’t work our at Stoke, but most managers have a disappointment on their CV.

Lets get behind him

That is a great point regarding Howe and Burnley.

I’m just looking forward to some more positive football, and no Ralph in charge any more.

Writing Jones off before he starts is ridiculous.  Good luck to him.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, manji said:

How do you know this?

26 minutes ago, manji said:

Thanks for posting.

Very interesting and somewhat answers a question I was pondering in a drive Oop noorf this afternoon.

Specifically how does statistical analysis really contribute to managerial appointments. Analysis of their tactics: of course. Filming and analysing them on the touchline hadn't occurred to me.

Let's hope RA knows as much as he seems to suggest.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Ralph’s assistant has gone as well.  That geezer with the laptop, so there is a space for a new assistant manager as well.

Good, as far as I could tell he was a complete waste of a salary. Don't remember ever seeing him open his mouth on the touch line.

Edited by saintant

Consuming more Nathan Jones content and got to say his attention to detail seems incredible. Sitting players down giving them hour long presentations on how he sees them working and what he feels their pros and cons are. Has a great relationship with his players. Gone will be the cringeworthy jazz hands, in with the Maradonna on drugs celebrations after a win. All about getting a group together to press and defend as a team, putting bodies on the line. I honestly think its a good fit for us and just what we need right now to stay in the prem. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Ralph’s assistant has gone as well.  That geezer with the laptop, so there is a space for a new assistant manager as well.

Hopefully Jones will have an assistant who knows what the inside of a Premier League dressing room looks like.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

What’s the story there?

There was a rumour recently that we had more than one deal lined up to bring in attacking players towards the end of the window and SR had sanctioned the transfers but Semmens blew them at the last minute by trying to haggle on the agreed fees.

No idea if it's true or not, and can't remember who posted it, but it seems plausible. We know that large bids were placed fir Delap and Gakpo, and there's simply not a chance that anybody in the upper echelons of the club looked at our attacking options in late August and thought "they will do" and actually chose to go into the season so woefully short of firepower. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, manji said:

To be fair mate, you also think that the war in Ukraine is a load of lies made up by the western media. 

I’d be taking any of your opinions with a massive truck load of salt. 

Just now, Greedyfly said:

This is the Carillo equivalent of a managerial signing. Cheap championship striker in Adams, didn't work. Cheap championship striker in Che, didn't work. Cheap championship manager, won't work. Villa got Emery. Laughable. 

Or you could say this is the Lavia or livramento signing, untested and a lot to like but needs the chance to prove it.

still feeling underwhelmed, but if it is going to be Jones then wanting to understand as much as possible about his approach to management / tactics etc and came across this interview after he had been sacked by Stoke

this is a a very long interview (almost 2 hours) but is very insightful. For anyone wanting to listen, here is brief summary

- the first 50min is mainly about his early playing career, going to Spain, getting into coaching

- 50-55min he talks about his management style - very much on the grass coaching, he wants to be hands on and coach players but how he has learnt that he can't do everything 

- 1hr - 1.08 - talks about going for jobs and whether its the right or the wrong time. mentions a bit about how he prepares for an interview

- 1.09  - being at luton 1st time round. wanting to set a philosophy and changing the culture.

- 1.23 - leaving Luton regrets how he left them. stoke happened very quickly and he did not have time to go back to the club and thank everyone (maybe parallels here!)

- 1.26 - the Stoke experience. accepts it was right to be sacked as results were not where they should have been. feels he was unlucky in certain games. says he has learnt a lot. apparently wrote a journal after being sacked documenting what went wrong and what he has learnt. accepts that the one thing he should have done was to change approach on the field to just get results and then try and change the culture, philosophy slowly afterwards.

- 1.42 - he immerses himself fully into the club. if we have been interested in him for a while and this was always a possibility then i bet he has been partly following Saints , watching matches and knows everything that we know and hopefully has a view already on what needs to change (on the pitch at least)

overall he comes across well - he definitely believes in himself and what he is trying to implement at clubs and has passion for the role. still a massive risk though in my eyes and not 100% convinced, but neither am I completely against the idea.

Edited by saint in Den Haag
  • Like 8