The 'New Manager' thread

Bad Wolf

1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

If football clubs listened to supporters Claudio Ranieri wouldn’t have ended up at Leicester. 

And Brentford wouldn't have appointed Thomas Frank either. Look how that's turned out for them.

Now, who was it that made that decision again? 🤔

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

And Brentford wouldn't have appointed Thomas Frank either. Look how that's turned out for them.

Now, who was it that made that decision again? 🤔

Especially us .. we are not an Everton or a Newcastle.. we won’t put up huge protesting banners and take days off work for 1000s of loyal fans to turn up daily and protest and eventually get wot the want .. we don’t do that down here .. wish we did tho ! 
Show the board exactly how we feel. 
No disrespect to NJ .. it’s the lack of ambition wen clubs around us are hiring pedigree and top flight experience! 
No matter who the owners we always always go cheap . Dragan is a billionaire.. we have the resources to go bigger than Nathan fucking jones !

• Like 1

If he does end up coming here I hope that he has a word with the big fella upstairs about getting his son in as a keeper, if only to hear a commentator say at last, “Jesus saves” when our goal is under attack.

Again, could be complete bollix but read elsewhere that Jones was a second choice behind the Argentina guy so, if true, perhaps he turned us down?

• Sad 1

I think we're underestimating the smarts of SR. Finding some one who respects the use of data the way they do to shape recruitment, training and strategy... that's probably key. I also suspect NJ is a much better man manager than Ralph, who often seemed willing to publicly knock his own players.  I saw the below as a comment on the Athletic story saying it's almost a done deal. Food for thought.  Personally, I'll keep an open mind and be ready to give NJ my full support.

From a Luton perspective.

He transformed the playing fortunes of the club over his time with us from League Two outfit to an fairly well established Championship side. All on small budgets. The team he put together to get us promoted from League One was one of the best I've seen in nearly 50 years of watching Luton.

The one big caveat is we are a small club and at Luton he is at one with the club. When he went to Stoke he was plunged into a much bigger (and possibly dysfunctional) organisation. From the outside he appeared to struggle with this, although that may be more Stoke's fault than his. How he can handle established players and big budgets would be my concern. There is a big step up between the EFL and the Premier League, possibly even bigger when you're making that step up from Luton.

I hope he does well for you.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OldNick said:

The Redmond interview on the Athletic, has it been put up on here, would love to be able to read it. Thanks in advance

I don't want to post it for copyright reasons but there is a great piece of comedy gold in there when Redmond states there were times when he would come off after games and think "Did I actually do anything" !!!!!

Err, no, most of the time you didnt 😆

• Haha 10

4 hours ago, SNSUN said:

If Jones is who we go for, he gets my support no different than any other manager has until they've showed ineptitude (I think I backed Pellegrino for the shortest length of time as it was obvious we were terrible pretty quickly). However this is not a 'coup' in my mind, this is a manager that I have reservations over, not least whether he'll be able to handle big egos of Premier League players on £100k a week with no Premier League experience and a failed stint at Stoke on his CV. In a season we are looking at the drop he is definitely not who I would have chosen, and we can't afford to be picky with only 24 games remaining, most of them tough. But this is Sports Republic money and they can appoint anyone they see fit... I just hope it's us fans that don't suffer from the decision.

However as I said, if we appoint him I support him and I strongly hope my reservations about him prove unfounded. Sometimes a manager is a perfect fit for a club - maybe he's ours... who knows.

SR suffer too if they get it wrong

15 minutes ago, Tom & Gerry said:

As I 've said before he will either fit or he won't.  I doubt he is less regarded at Stoke than Alan Ball for instance, at least by older supporters. He could be the new McMenemy or the new Sturrock. A fully fit squad and a good start would help.

For the McMenemy analogy to work Saints would have to promote Selles rather than appoint Jones, allow him to relegate us to the Championship this year and give him four full seasons to get us back up.

4 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

If he does end up coming here I hope that he has a word with the big fella upstairs about getting his son in as a keeper, if only to hear a commentator say at last, “Jesus saves” when our goal is under attack.

Again, could be complete bollix but read elsewhere that Jones was a second choice behind the Argentina guy so, if true, perhaps he turned us down?

Jones was the first choice in the summer and he turned us down as he wasn’t ready then.

He is now and that’s why we have approached Luton as he wants the Saints managers job.

They never had anyone else in the frame as it’s always been Jones. 
Rasmus is the only one who’s got his eyes on Jones and it looks like his wish is going to happen. They have obviously met before and discussed the Saints job.

52 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Alan Ball was a World Cup winner, one of the best players of his generation, but the city players pretty much took the piss out of him from day 1. 

This respect stuff is a load of old pony. If he runs decent sessions, is a good man manager and is tactically aware players will play for him. End of.

He’s got a “pre season” coming up with most of them, time to get his ideas over and get some positivity around the club. Writing him off before he’s even met the players is ridiculous. 

Of course it's not pony. Players either play for a manager or they won't. 

Managers need the respect of the dressing room, it's imperative. Sure, they can command or earn it a number of ways, but you're not convincing me that Jones will walk into the dressing room and command anywhere near as much respect as someone who's more of a name. He may get it over time, but time we ain't got. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

For the McMenemy analogy to work Saints would have to promote Selles rather than appoint Jones, allow him to relegate us to the Championship this year and give him four full seasons to get us back up.

Ah, no patience these days, it's instant success or nothing. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

Especially us .. we are not an Everton or a Newcastle.. we won’t put up huge protesting banners and take days off work for 1000s of loyal fans to turn up daily and protest and eventually get wot the want .. we don’t do that down here .. wish we did tho ! 
Show the board exactly how we feel. 
No disrespect to NJ .. it’s the lack of ambition wen clubs around us are hiring pedigree and top flight experience! 
No matter who the owners we always always go cheap . Dragan is a billionaire.. we have the resources to go bigger than Nathan fucking jones !

Talk for yourself, I've started a go fund me page and have arranged for a huge flag of this image, when Nathan Jones first emerges from the dugout the banner will be revealed covering the whole of the Kingsland stand 

download.jpeg

• Haha 13

2 hours ago, saints-cris said:

Can't say I'm particularly enthused by this. Felt like a chance for SR to make a statement, and it hasn't happened. Maybe he will be a good fit, but when you see Villa go for Emery, and Wolves get Lopategui... and then we do this. It feels like we're always going to go for the cheaper less glamorous option regardless of who's in ownership. 

Happy to be proved wrong, and I hope I'm made to eat my own words, but its hard to get excited by this.

Oh, and buy a bloody striker in January, otherwise it won't matter who's in charge.

I wish we were Villa or Wolves…. actually I don’t. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

If football clubs listened to supporters Claudio Ranieri wouldn’t have ended up at Leicester. 

And Pellegrino wouldn't have ended up here, and Gao wouldn't have bought us, and, and, and. We could all point to examples good and bad. 

Regardless, we can all have an opinion on whether a bloke who did shit at Stoke feels like a sensible choice as our manager. 

3 hours ago, whiteleySaint30 said:

Anyone who thinks this is a positive step needs their head seeing to. It is clearly the only type of manager we can attract at the moment and a cheap option. 

As for suggesting SR have done their homework - in case you missed it it is being reported that SR are looking to wall street to fund an £80m loan that they can take out against the clubs assets.

Wake up amd smell the coffee you mug 

I missed the £80m bit - link please if you would be so kind.

5 minutes ago, egg said:

And Pellegrino wouldn't have ended up here, and Gao wouldn't have bought us, and, and, and. We could all point to examples good and bad. 

Regardless, we can all have an opinion on whether a bloke who did shit at Stoke feels like a sensible choice as our manager. 

I'm concerned by the appointment but I'm also surprised how sure people are that Jones will be a failure. Howe failed at Burnley so Jones' time at Stoke shouldn't discount him.

Strachan is another example of someone who fans were sceptical about but turned out to be good

23 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Jones was the first choice in the summer and he turned us down as he wasn’t ready then.

He is now and that’s why we have approached Luton as he wants the Saints managers job.

Rasmus is the only one who’s got his eyes on Jones and it looks like his wish is going to happen. They have obviously met before and discussed the Saints job.

Be interested to know why he thinks he is ready now? Difference of only 6 months or so if we did offer him the job in the summer. Don't get why we are going back in. If you turned down the job once, why give him a second chance? Just feels like we trying to be too clever again for are own good. We don't even have recruitment head to help him in January with transfers. Unless the plan is just to sign Luton players.

• Like 1

Whoever we hire needs to hit the ground running.

We are struggling to score goals and we are letting in plenty once again. We have a lot of inexperienced players and senior pros like JWP who are not as effective as they have been. We look pretty disorganised.

We are in real danger of being relegated this season.

• Like 1

Im for one glad he's gone, maybe Jones isnt the right man but if he galvanises the squad then thats a massive start, weve heard for seasons little quips about Ralphs man management, but all the Ralph lovers blamed whichever player said what just like people are saying now about Redmond and back then Austin, Austins a bell end blah blah blah yes we know that but why shouldnt he say what he wants, Ralph fell out big style at Leipzig, wonder why that was, i hope more players come out and be honest about there time under Ralph be it good or bad 

I’ve lived in Bedfordshire for a few years so had the opportunity to watch Luton a fair amount over the last few years.

When I first saw this regarding Nathan Jones I was surprised. I’ll give my honest take on it. I will start off by saying yes this is a huge risk for us but I honestly see some potential positives in the appointment.

He’s man management by all accounts is fantastic and you see that by the way Luton play he has them running through brick walls for him and I feel that’s how he’s sees himself as a manager

I would describe his style as ‘effective’. The team do play some good football but at the same time can play a ‘nasty’ and effective way. He has his teams hard working and likes to press from the front. Their current forward pairing are both big lumps but still play the press. He likes an enforcer type in the middle and usually plays with a back 3 and big on wing backs in seasons gone by (James Justin and Jack Stacey who have since been sold to premier league clubs) Prior to this he preferred formation was a diamond.

He has worked well with youth an example of this is James Justin (speaks very highly of Jones) and another in recent times Kienan Dewsbury-Hall of Leicester who won player on the season whilst on loan there last season and is now starting week in week out for Leicester (again speaks very highly of Jones)

Another positive side to his play is set pieces. A lot of goals have been scored from them and they are a big part of his play with Luton.

He appears to be a very hands on manager with the team something which it seems we lost with Ralph. At the same time he’s not a push over. There’s an article I believe where due to him feeling his players at the time where more interested in table tennis at the training ground as opposed to training he took the table outside and burnt it. 

I feel his passion and determination will probably be unmatched to any other appointment we could however let’s be honest this is a huge huge step up and I just hope it pays off despite his lack of experience at our level. 

When he returned to Luton they was  looking certain to go down. He turned it around in a short time and finished in the play offs the following season.

His back room staff is made up of Chris Cohen ex Nottingham forest (thought of highly at the club) Alan Sheehan a player who played under Jones for Luton and Mick Harford who recently moved into a recruitment role.

We have much better players with much bigger egos so let’s hope the players get on board with this despite him not necessarily being a ‘big name’ and let’s see what the future brings!

Hope my limited knowledge gives a bit of insight into what to expect👍

• Like 21

3 minutes ago, BedfordshireSaint said:

There’s an article I believe where due to him feeling his players at the time where more interested in table tennis at the training ground as opposed to training he took the table outside and burnt it. 

😅

If true thats amusing!

• Haha 1

Call me old fashioned but I think I'll let the new manager do some actual managing before making a judgement.

As for Redmond, if anything sums up the spirit of the appalling display years that eventually cost Ralph his job, Redmond's poor efforts, along with others, played a significant role in our decline.

He should zip it - as should any players who have let down the club, the manager and themselves.

Do your talking on the pitch.

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

Call me old fashioned but I think I'll let the new manager do some actual managing before making a judgement.

As for Redmond, if anything sums up the spirit of the appalling display years that eventually cost Ralph his job, Redmond's poor efforts, along with others, played a significant role in our decline.

He should zip it - as should any players who have let down the club, the manager and themselves.

Agreed- obviously very easy to comment when you're sat on the bench in Turkey or annoying the rest of the team in Australia.

Will be interesting to see how much changes with a new manager, especially if Selles is staying on as no.2 

1 hour ago, beatlesaint said:

I don't want to post it for copyright reasons but there is a great piece of comedy gold in there when Redmond states there were times when he would come off after games and think "Did I actually do anything" !!!!!

Err, no, most of the time you didnt 😆

got a feeling that was taken out of context, but I like what you did there. I still would love him to be at Saints. For me he added excitement and did some great things. Inc being player of the season. Anyway, you like many others have had your way and we have the skills of Moi to behold instead

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

You may be right, but perhaps you should take into account that he may well have been acting out the system each manager wanted him to play. This may have nullified his game. Pep obviously thought well of him after his famous rant. I think he said to him that 'Last season you were the best winger' (something like that)'

2 hours ago, egg said:

Just because they may see something, it doesn't mean that it's something that'll work. Hopefully it'll prove to be an inspired move, but I can't imagine anyone thinks it's anything other than incredibly high risk. 

But isn't any manager a risk, none are guaranteed to work, keeping Ralph would have been a risk and look at some of the big name mangers that Chelsea, Man utd and Spuds have picked over the years that have not worked.

We had to change something so a risk had to be taken.

4 hours ago, whiteleySaint30 said:

in case you missed it it is being reported that SR are looking to wall street to fund an £80m loan that they can take out against the clubs assets.

Not seen anything about that. Can you point me to the story online? Is that in addition to the existing loan or to effectively refinance it?

So am coming round to Selles is the tactical brains, Jones is the man manager something Ralph allegedly wasn’t good at.

I have no idea if he was or not and the utter garbage The Athletic us trolling out at moment is typical gutter snipe journalists .

Lets not forget we lost 10 of last 13 games last year. We have won 3, only 1 at home the bar is very low and some want Ralph back? Sacking him wasn’t wrong it’s who they are replacing him with could be we just don’t know yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pilchards said:

So is Jones his son in law or golf partner?

30 minutes ago, BedfordshireSaint said:

I’ve lived in Bedfordshire for a few years so had the opportunity to watch Luton a fair amount over the last few years.

When I first saw this regarding Nathan Jones I was surprised. I’ll give my honest take on it. I will start off by saying yes this is a huge risk for us but I honestly see some potential positives in the appointment.

He’s man management by all accounts is fantastic and you see that by the way Luton play he has them running through brick walls for him and I feel that’s how he’s sees himself as a manager

I would describe his style as ‘effective’. The team do play some good football but at the same time can play a ‘nasty’ and effective way. He has his teams hard working and likes to press from the front. Their current forward pairing are both big lumps but still play the press. He likes an enforcer type in the middle and usually plays with a back 3 and big on wing backs in seasons gone by (James Justin and Jack Stacey who have since been sold to premier league clubs) Prior to this he preferred formation was a diamond.

He has worked well with youth an example of this is James Justin (speaks very highly of Jones) and another in recent times Kienan Dewsbury-Hall of Leicester who won player on the season whilst on loan there last season and is now starting week in week out for Leicester (again speaks very highly of Jones)

Another positive side to his play is set pieces. A lot of goals have been scored from them and they are a big part of his play with Luton.

He appears to be a very hands on manager with the team something which it seems we lost with Ralph. At the same time he’s not a push over. There’s an article I believe where due to him feeling his players at the time where more interested in table tennis at the training ground as opposed to training he took the table outside and burnt it. 

I feel his passion and determination will probably be unmatched to any other appointment we could however let’s be honest this is a huge huge step up and I just hope it pays off despite his lack of experience at our level. 

When he returned to Luton they was  looking certain to go down. He turned it around in a short time and finished in the play offs the following season.

His back room staff is made up of Chris Cohen ex Nottingham forest (thought of highly at the club) Alan Sheehan a player who played under Jones for Luton and Mick Harford who recently moved into a recruitment role.

We have much better players with much bigger egos so let’s hope the players get on board with this despite him not necessarily being a ‘big name’ and let’s see what the future brings!

Hope my limited knowledge gives a bit of insight into what to expect👍

Interesting to hear. There's alot to be said for talented people who have the drive and the hunger if not the perceived experience.

I'm in the people development world and so I'm all for giving those who deserve an opportunity, an opportunity! 

I've done some very crude and un-scientific statistical research into a completely random list of managers. My curiosity is how his "win" percentage AND his "didn't lose" compares because "not losing" is the key for us. Here's what I found.

Win / Didn't lose

Jones 43.2 / 73

Hassenhutl  39.1 / 65.8

Klopp 53.8 / 78

Poch 48.5 / 70.7

Howe 42.3 / 63.6

G.Johnson 33.4 / 57.4

Potter  44.1 / 70.9

Redknapp 40.2 / 64.9

Hodgson 42.9 / 70.3

Allardyce 38.8 / 66.0

By comparison

Mourinho  62.96 / 83.46

Pep  72.5 / 87.8

I chose those because they have been around along time most of them and across different leagues and not always top clubs to get a perspective of what number are good.

His career so far suggests he can get results. 

Not the man I wcpected but looking into him more I am less worried than I was yesterday. 

His methods clearly are "effective" and that description is great!! Being effective gets results. How that happens is less important for us despite what we might crave ideally. 

The test for him is how quickly he gets the buy in from the squad and changes the culture. He will have some time with the break. I'm not expecting huge excitement in terms of style but am hoping (obviously) for the excitement of winning again! 

It appears to me to be a very calculated risk by SR/Ankerson and his history and methodology particularly has credibility. 

Hopefully we begin to reap the benefits. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

Interesting to hear. There's alot to be said for talented people who have the drive and the hunger if not the perceived experience.

I'm in the people development world and so I'm all for giving those who deserve an opportunity, an opportunity! 

Exactly

There's a lot on here writing him off before we've even announced him because
a) He "failed" at Stoke - most people do and anyway, we're not Stoke. Howe failed at Burnley, Benitez failed at Everton, Moyes and Mourinho failed at ManU, (I could list dozens more) doesn't make any of them bad managers
&
b) He has no Premier League experience . -  Can someone explain how any manager had PL experience until he'd managed in the PL? Somebody has to be brave enough to give them their first opportunity.

• Like 3