The 'New Manager' thread

Bad Wolf

The other day there was a post on one of those silly fan Facebook pages that Tuchel was at St Mary's on Sunday and sat in the directors box. I don't know what's more ridiculous, the fact that people (not many tbf) believe it or the fact that some are turning their nose up at him!

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

The other day there was a post on one of those silly fan Facebook pages that Tuchel was at St Mary's on Sunday and sat in the directors box. I don't know what's more ridiculous, the fact that people (not many tbf) believe it or the fact that some are turning their nose up at him!

It definitely happened, I’ve got great hearing so hear a lot.

I was sat round the in-laws eating a roast, whilst listening on the radio and I heard his voice in the background.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Since we have been in the PL we have continually sacked  managers only to find ourselves in the same position near the bottom of the leaue

We have only done well when we have had decent players the present squad does not have  of the quality of MLT Pahars Niemmi Beattie Svensson Tadic Mane VVD Lallans Shaw Schederlin etc

Without investment in players we will continually struggle

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John B said:

Since we have been in the PL we have continually sacked  managers only to find ourselves in the same position near the bottom of the leaue

We have only done well when we have had decent players the present squad does not have  of the quality of MLT Pahars Niemmi Beattie Svensson Tadic Mane VVD Lallans Shaw Schederlin etc

Sorry, in my opinion, that is not the biggest problem. The way he has them set up to play, is the biggest problem, snail football, every time we gain possession, we allow the opposition time to re-group, which blunts any attack we try to launch. Terrible football.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, John B said:

Not sure you can say we have continually sacked managers.... We went through a short spell where we sacked Puel, Pelligrino, and Hughes... Apart from the Puel, none were fit for purpose. 

Adkins was several years before, Poch walked, Koeman walked. And our current manager is the longest serving manger in a lot of fans life time! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gingeletiss said:

Sorry, in my opinion, that is not the biggest problem. The way he has them set up to play, is the biggest problem, snail football, every time we gain possession, we allow the opposition time to re-group, which blunts any attack we try to launch. Terrible football.

Tactics has little to do with our problems the lack of decent players does which leads to terrible football

If you think the present squad is under performing and would improve significantly with another manager with different tactics I think you are wrong the midfield six are without doubt the worst selection of players I have seen representing SFC   between 1962 and 2005 and since our returnto the PL  under Adkins

Whether there are worse squads currently in the PL only time will tell

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

He sets up with us to get overrun in midfield every game...never change Ralph.

He also set us up to not concede a goal and has fails miserable.

Would love it if we just once went for it to try and win 4-3 or something. To do this you don’t sit on a one nil lead by putting on a number of defensive players.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, saintwbu said:

Makes you wonder what sort of terms they’re expecting a new manager to adhere to. We know they have a pretty particular transfer policy, maybe managers aren’t keen on it. 

Just watched the Beale interview on Twitter. What an honourable bloke. Very impressive

I was interested to see that the bbc says Marsch is now under pressure and being booed by his own fans.

What do football fans expect of their teams? There seems to be a real lack of realism surrounding the premier league, in my opinion.

Everyone expects wins, entertainment and to be ‘best of the rest’ or it’s a bust and the manager has to go. There’s only 6 teams who count, and maybe Newcastle will make that 7. Everton have shown that spending wildly doesn’t work but that seems to be part of the expectation too.

Im sure Silva won’t get long at Fulham if things turn and maybe even Howe will be gone for a glamour name at some point. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, SaintZamboni said:

I was interested to see that the bbc says Marsch is now under pressure and being booed by his own fans.

What do football fans expect of their teams? There seems to be a real lack of realism surrounding the premier league, in my opinion.

Everyone expects wins, entertainment and to be ‘best of the rest’ or it’s a bust and the manager has to go. There’s only 6 teams who count, and maybe Newcastle will make that 7. Everton have shown that spending wildly doesn’t work but that seems to be part of the expectation too.

Im sure Silva won’t get long at Fulham if things turn and maybe even Howe will be gone for a glamour name at some point. 

I expect, first and foremost, to be entertained, and for the team to be trying. Not the crap RH serves up. I accept the loss if it was a good game, but even a win against the mighty Bournemouth, did not get my juices flowing. Snail football.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, saintant said:

Whoever goes there is unlikely to select Bednarek unless they have an injury crisis. He'll be back here at the end of the season.

Oh gawd I forgot it was a loan. Perhaps he will be motivated if we change managers then

50 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

Villa targeting Poch, Tuchel or Thomas Frank. Surely they’re deluded if they think any of them want to go to villa. 

I would think Frank is a realistic target if they did want him.  Villa are a much bigger club than Brentford and general give managers money to spend

6 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

I would think Frank is a realistic target if they did want him.  Villa are a much bigger club than Brentford and general give managers money to spend

And, indeed, a bigger draw than us, more's the pity.

I still think Poch might end up back at Spurs, I feel like Conte just isn't a good fit both ways, he'll likely get the Juve job or something. 

I am still rather baffled that even if results improve, if Ralph has lost the trust of many players and has no relationship with them, then that is an untenable position surely?

There is no real coming back from that, so I don't get the boards hesitation. Plus we now have what 3 other PL clubs looking for managers, 2 of whom have bigger budgets than us, so more and more competition is there. If these reports are true I just don't understand the trust he got and how he wasn't changed before the season started.  

1 hour ago, tajjuk said:

I still think Poch might end up back at Spurs, I feel like Conte just isn't a good fit both ways, he'll likely get the Juve job or something. 

I am still rather baffled that even if results improve, if Ralph has lost the trust of many players and has no relationship with them, then that is an untenable position surely?

There is no real coming back from that, so I don't get the boards hesitation. Plus we now have what 3 other PL clubs looking for managers, 2 of whom have bigger budgets than us, so more and more competition is there. If these reports are true I just don't understand the trust he got and how he wasn't changed before the season started.  

Perhaps that is exactly why we haven’t moved yet, perhaps we haven’t got the reaction we want from targets, perhaps we aren’t even looking.

Franck to me is the perfect fit and we’d be mad to let another club grab him. Give him the fund to get some players in and give him a decent contract. Sell him a project.

On 19/10/2022 at 09:40, John B said:

Exactly. We've got a mediocre squad and with arguably our three best players missing against Arsenal, the Ralph Out brigade will still be lamenting our manager if we lose.

Replacing Ralph is not the answer. Another manager will guarantee relegation. Remember slobby chops? Ralph is reactive but the fact is there is no magic messiah who can turn our players in to world beaters. And for those who criticise our lack of ambition, we spent money over the summer without selling any of our better players.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Exactly. We've got a mediocre squad and with arguably our three best players missing against Arsenal, the Ralph Out brigade will still be lamenting our manager if we lose.

Replacing Ralph is not the answer. Another manager will guarantee relegation. Remember slobby chops? Ralph is reactive but the fact is there is no magic messiah who can turn our players in to world beaters. And for those who criticise our lack of ambition, we spent money over the summer without selling any of our better players.

Sandra's old man sold our best player to buy dross like quasie, camera, Bernard and his boy, who unfortunately only had 45 minutes in him. We would have been much better off keeping Beattie and playing Oakley, Svenson and Le Saux