What is the best goal you've ever seen live at a Saints game?

tunit

JWP at Wolves was probably best free kick I've seen

Lemina at WBA was a thunderbolt, Osvaldo against City glorious.

Jay Rodriguez' opener at Sunderland on the volley for some reason always sticks in my mind. 

Also slightly left wing option but the passing before Schneiderlin scored against Newcastle back in 2014 was class.

Adams at Spurs last season was one of the best atmospheres, as was Gabbiadini at Swansea, sadly wasn't there for Shane Long at Anfield 

So really depends on the definition of what we define as "best"! 

There for 'the Channon goal of the century' also Moran at Frottage Park and some of Le Tissier's finest, but the one that always sticks in the mind is the Golac screamer v WBA, 1981, seen from front row right at the Milton Road end - ball knocked down with pace right edge of box Golac running in.  You saw it coming, heard the thwack, and the pace and sweet spot was something else (much more than the video) - the epitome of a live screamer.   

After the game when McMenemy was interviewed, he said 'I thought my right winger had the game of his life...the problem was he should have been playing right back!'  Happy days :)  

• Like 5

Le Tiss vs Newcastle twice at the dell and away at Blackburn .. Le Tiss told flowers during the match  he’d would score against him and would hit his gk towel hanging in the net .. he did exactly that ! 
Danny Wallace bicycle kick against the dippers on a cold Friday night under the lights at the dell was spectacular.. limbs 🙌is understatement packed under the east !

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

There for 'the Channon goal of the century' also Moran at Frottage Park and some of Le Tissier's finest, but the one that always sticks in the mind is the Golac screamer v WBA, 1981, seen from front row right at the Milton Road end - ball knocked down with pace right edge of box Golac running in.  You saw it coming, heard the thwack, and the pace and sweet spot was something else (much more than the video) - the epitome of a live screamer.   

After the game when McMenemy was interviewed, he said 'I thought my right winger had the game of his life...the problem was he should have been playing right back!'  Happy days :)  

Moran at pompey .. how can I forget that ! 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

• Like 2

Matt Oakley v Pompey (Skate derby)

Lee Barnard v MK Dons (3-2 comeback, that day I just knew that was the “we’re going to get promoted” moment)

Rudi Skacel v Yeovil (outside foot)

Chris Baird v Cardiff? (Thunderbastard of a shot)

Wayne Thomas v Ipswich (he used to do the shooting drills pre-match and I’ve never known a player scuff a ball as much as him, until then)

Stu Armstrong v Coventry (in the corner where he aimed, perfect curl)

David Connolly v Middlesbrough (3,468,946 pass build up to the goal)

Some of the ones I remember best

• Like 1

That famous Mick Channon goal inspired by KK and the more recent Sofiane Boufal' mazy run and superb finish against WBA stand out most in my memory... and the Steve Moran winner at Old Wembley... and... and...

In fact every Saints goal is memorable simply because of its rarity. I loved the Adams header on Saturday too.

Oh yes and as the gentleman above reminds me Cuco Martina's fantasy strike against Arsenal...

Edited by Charlie Wayman

Wayne Thomas screamer from 35 yards out almost on the right wing - no bend, straight as an arrow, keeper rooted in shock. Was sat midway up in the Kingsland right behind the line of trajectory and I’ll never forget watching that ball go in and the microsecond of silence as everyone realised what had just happened before the place erupted!

A close second was the screamer from Martina C vs Arsenal. It looked a great goal from where I was sat opposite side in the Kingsland, but it was not until the replays on the screen that many realised just how magical the bend on that strike really was!

• Like 1

Agreeing with a lot of what has already been posted, but one I haven't seen mentioned is Delap against Spurs. We were crap, it was a crap game and then out of nowhere a man who I had never seen do anything that technical produced one of the most athletic bicycle kicks I've ever seen.

I'm not sure of specifics, but Walcott in 2005 scored a couple of great goals, remember one where he lobbed the keeper from the wing.

• Like 1

Most of the obvious ones for me have already been mentioned above but a more obscure one that springs to mind is Tugay for Blackburn in our first season at St Mary's (also my first visit). We absolutely dominated the game and they won it 2-1 late on via Craig Hignett. 

Sadly the two Portsmouth goals last time we played them in the league were objectively good goals too...

Mick Channon's at the Dell v Coventry in 1971. Unfortunately, it wasn't televized as not many games were in those days, or it would still be being shown on TV. He took the ball from his own goalkeeper and then ran the length of the pitch, deliberately attempting to dribble past every player in the Coventry team.  Half of them tried to tackle him, before he beat the  goalkeeper with a shot into the bottom corner of the net. I've never seen any goal come close to that at top flight level. It was even better than the famous Maradona goal v England. Saints introduced a Goal of the Season award for the first time in the Club's history, just to commemorate it. The second best I saw live was Le Tissier's at Blackburn in 1994.

Edited by Nordic Saint
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

Mick Channon's at the Dell v Coventry in 1971.

Yep, that was the first season I really got into it, unfortunately I wasn't at that game but I think it may have won goal-of-the-season.

Fortunately I was there the 'Channon, Keegan, Channon.....' wonder goal against the scallies, my personal favourite. And also there to see others mentioned like Moran 84 and Danny Wallace on the first Friday night live game on the BBC.

48 minutes ago, Turkish said:

These stick in my mind. I think I’ve seen better individual goals but don’t think I’ve ever seen two in the same game by the same player as good especially as I was right behind the goal for them all

Quality hat-trick that, I remember it well.

A lot of good goals that season. Russell Osman scored a couple of excellent free-kicks, against Everton and Coventry (last game of the season).

Edited by Saint Mikey

57 minutes ago, Turkish said:

These stick in my mind. I think I’ve seen better individual goals but don’t think I’ve ever seen two in the same game by the same player as good especially as I was right behind the goal for them all

Yes, he really was something else wasn't he.  Most naturally talented player I've ever seen, and likely will see. 

Martina at home to Arsenal probably the best for me, had the perfect view from the other end of the Itchen so could see the bend. Was there for Osvaldo’s against City but probably didn’t appreciate just how good it was at the time.

As goals against us go, Coutinho’s one that rattled in off the bar was good. Completely compounded the anger of being refused two stonewall penalties and at least one red card within about the first 10 minutes. 

5 minutes ago, Andrew Watson said:

Tugay for Blackburn, november 2001. Friedel was man of the match and Hignetts 90th minute winner was offside, but Tugays screamer was sensational, he was a class act.

Yes that was a quality goal, first season at St Marys. Lost 2-1 IIRC

Another opposition goal that stands out in my mind is this one from Kevin Sheedy on 1 minute on the below video. Again there have been better goals but although i hated Everton at the time for obvious reasons i was a big fan of Kevin Sheedy, cracking player.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

As goals against us go, Coutinho’s one that rattled in off the bar was good. Completely compounded the anger of being refused two stonewall penalties and at least one red card within about the first 10 minutes. 

Was that the Kevin Friend Worst Refereeing Performance Ever match? Still fuming...

Another good one I’d say is Fonte vs Coventry (4-0).

The final game of 11/12. We’d been poor, had to rely on a couple of Kelv wonder saves, then got a scrappy, deflected opener, and then minute later Fonte’s diving header bouncing off the ground and going into the top corner.

See Adkins reaction on the touch line, who was normally quite calm, just echoed through the whole ground.

That was another “We ARE going up today” moment!

Hard to choose one

I was there too for that Cameron Jerome kick in the guts goal - he could spend every daylight hour for a month on the training pitch trying to replicate that goal and never ever manage it.

Martinas goal was even more insane and certainly made having to spend Boxing Day sober to then drive to Southampton for a “bloody 8pm kick off” well worth it.

Bairds Exocet v Cardiff was obscene - the set up looked like we had effed up a free kick to groans in the stadium, suddenly replaced with Wow!

One that does stick in my mind, and I have mentioned before, was MLT v Crystal Palace at the Dell. It wasn’t filthy like Bairds, it’s was mind boggling. Matty had already made the Palace keeper look a mug with his first, simply sending the ball up into low orbit then letting gravity do its stuff for the assist. Second half playing towards the Milton. Edge of the box Matty takes a swing at the ball sitting in direct line behind the goal you thought “damn! keeper has this” ………………”What!? How is that in the back of the net” Momentarily everyone with the same line of sight as me just sat there bamboozled, before joining everyone else celebrating. As you can no doubt tell its stuck with me just for that crowd reaction. Ok I still wonder how - the keeper was all over it!!

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Another opposition goal that stands out in my mind is this one from Kevin Sheedy on 1 minute on the below video. Again there have been better goals but although i hated Everton at the time for obvious reasons i was a big fan of Kevin Sheedy, cracking player.

Was in the cages in Archers road and watched that missle rocket 🚀 passed budgie ! He was some player for the Toffees ! 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

I was at that game, if I remember correctly Cottee had only just joined them for big money. He was awful.

Yes me for Wayne Thomas as well.

Was behind the flight of the ball and if it never hit the net then it would of reached orbit by now :)

Wallace overhead kick from the Milton end. You just saw a pair of legs 7 foot high and it was hard to work out what happened at the time.

The greatest goal of them all when Channon finished off the best move ever vs Liverpool.

Edited by Pilchards

10 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

It's funny, I saw plenty of Le Tissier games but missed all his true wonder goals.

Shane Long's strike in the 6-1 win over Villa (Mane hat-trick game) was really memorable, but I think this has to be the winner...

That's the one I was trying to recall, for some reason I thought it was against Bolton.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, revolution saint said:

Barry Horne goal against Bolton in the FA Cup always springs to mind whenever this topic comes up.  We were losing and into injury time when he pops up and produces a screamer from 35 yards that levels the match.  Not sure if it's the best goal I've ever seen but certainly up there.

Ha good shout, that was a great goal although still think the keeper should have had it. Never seen so many people rush back into the ground 🤣

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

Agreeing with a lot of what has already been posted, but one I haven't seen mentioned is Delap against Spurs. We were crap, it was a crap game and then out of nowhere a man who I had never seen do anything that technical produced one of the most athletic bicycle kicks I've ever seen.

I'm not sure of specifics, but Walcott in 2005 scored a couple of great goals, remember one where he lobbed the keeper from the wing.

Wasn't that a reserve game at the dell, possibly Pompey? Beat a man or two, jinked just into their half out wide, then put it over the keeper and in. Great goal whoever it was against.

First team wise, the stand outs for me in modern ish times were Osvaldo Vs city and Boufal Vs WBA. Going back, any number of MLT goals, and I'd love to have been at the game for that Danny Wallace overhead kick, and that Channon goal. We've scored some crackers down the years. 

Team goal, Channon against Liverpool.  

Solo goal, Steve Williams against Norwich,  picked up a pass from Keegan on the half way line, beat five players and then curled it round the keeper.

Total football goal, Danny Wallace against Liverpool. Left back Dennis crosses from left wing touchline, back post header from a centre back , Mark Wright for Wallaces overhead kick.

Insane individual brilliance, MLT against Newcastle .

• Like 1