Nathan Jones

AlexLaw76

On the positive side. Nathan has managed to fix that terrible terrible habit that Ralph’s team had of dropping points from winning positions……..

But I don’t believe never scoring or taking winning positions in the first place is a great solution tbh.

Edited by imadirtyurchin
Grammar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Exactly what I was thinking. Personally I think he's full of shit. He hasn't been compromised, he's just been scrambling around trying desperately to find something that works because he hasn't got a clue.

Have to admit after saying this originally I am now remembering the 2nd leg v Newcastle and a shot on the TV of him arguing with Selles and another member of the coaching team. Not a heated debate, a full on argument where it looks like at the end Jones told them to go and sit down and Selles and the other stormed off looking fed up.

People suggesting Thomas Frank, Rafa Benitez, Poch even Graham Potter (yes I’m aware I did above), need to give their head a wobble.

When Ralph was sacked they’d probably have been albeit a long shot, some form of conversation. No decent manager is coming to us now post-transfer window or for any substantial amount of money.

Sport Republic have screwed this up royally, Nathan Jones hasn’t helped himself with his comments either. He’s way out of his depth.

Edited by FarehamSaintJames
Spelling
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, aintforever said:

The 90 out of 92 stat is pointless, we were the shittest team in the Prem over the year because once Broja downed tools we didn’t have a goalscorer at the club. Comparing our record to league 2 clubs is meaningless.

Well then leave the other 72 clubs out of it if you want. Guess what, worst team in the PL, by a distance. Dont be blaming Broja, its all Ralphs doing. But sure lets bring Ralph back. Almost as embarrassing as "give it to Nigel until the end of the season"

• Like 3

1 minute ago, woodsaint1 said:

Well then leave the other 72 clubs out of it if you want. Guess what, worst team in the PL, by a distance. Dont be blaming Broja, its all Ralphs doing. But sure lets bring Ralph back. Almost as embarrassing as "give it to Nigel until the end of the season"

I think with Adams, Armstrong and Mara as the striker options we would be the shittest in the Prem regardless of the manager.

Just now, aintforever said:

I think with Adams, Armstrong and Mara as the striker options we would be the shittest in the Prem regardless of the manager.

100%. Dont get me wrong, Ralph was let down badly in the summer. But we should have making a change of manager at that point, not prolonging the agony. He was a broken man by the end of last season

• Like 3

The pressure is only going to gather pace now, the players will see the comments on social media, Ian Wright's criticism etc. Might get away with those sorts of post match comments in the Championship. In the PL every single word gets poured over in fine detail

1 minute ago, woodsaint1 said:

The pressure is only going to gather pace now, the players will see the comments on social media, Ian Wright's criticism etc. Might get away with those sorts of post match comments in the Championship. In the PL every single word gets poured over in fine detail

Everyone knows he's miles out of his depth and should be sacked, but at a minimum he should be told he's no longer doing the media interviews and press conferences. It's embarrassing the club every time he opens his mouth

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Colin Saint said:

Weird isn’t it to see Wrighty go for a Premier League figure (well, a piss poor figure) like that!?

Shows that the establishment ain’t having him one bit.

To come into the PL and talk about his Xg at Luton Wanderers is just utterly astounding.

Mind blown

It's so weird. Why the fuck would a Premier league team give two shiny shites what he managed to do months ago in league one and then the championship, with a small team? It's an utter irrelevance yet he brings it up constantly. Almost like he's still there and has just popped over here on holiday for a few months. 

• Like 2

Two Yesses from me. I voted Yes the first time not because I was happy with the appointment (I certainly wasn't) but because I thought it was a horrible idea to run the poll before he'd even managed a game. I've even argued for a re-set in the vain hope that Jones could change his ways and both sides could lower the temperature, but that's now out of the question.

We don't even need to talk about his starting lineups and tactics, as abysmal as they've been.

The club now has no option but to fire him because he appears to be almost universally disliked by the players and even his fellow members of the coaching staff. They clearly don't buy his bullshit. In the space of twelve days he has publicly berated Djenepo during the First Leg against Newcastle, been forced to change his formation by his own players in the Second Leg, and sent DCC to the B Team - presumably for not toeing the line. And then there's the post below by Saint Clark from the Jones Out thread.

But the clincher was his horrific, unhinged post-game comments today.

If I were Rasmus he'd be gone tonight, and Selles would be caretaker-managing. At least he appears to be on the same page as the players, and can hardly do worse.

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Have to admit after saying this originally I am now remembering the 2nd leg v Newcastle and a shot on the TV of him arguing with Selles and another member of the coaching team. Not a heated debate, a full on argument where it looks like at the end Jones told them to go and sit down and Selles and the other stormed off looking fed up.

This feels like a seismic moment.

Like a tidal wave that has been slowly building, has just crashed down, and there is that momentary, stunned pause, whilst taking in the magnitude of what has just happened, before catching our breath, and immediately springing into response mode.

We've just witnessed the total nuclear meltdown of Nathan Jones tonight, across multiple nationwide media outlets.

And I'm really not quite sure how to feel about it.

My opinions of the man and his catastrophic appointment are not exactly secret here. So on the one hand, his interviews are box office comedy gold. You just couldn't make up such a character as spikey old Mad Nate from the double 'ard mining villiage. He presents himself as the ultimate pantomine antagonist you love to hate, and tops it all off with such a charming lack of self awareness. He really is as dense as he comes across. Fully Verified. ☑️

On the other hand, there is something so fundementally disturbing, as seeing a man break down like that, right there in public view. You want to reach in and pull the poor fucker out.

The more he talks, the worse he makes it for himself. And yet he cannot stop digging. He lacks all semblance of basic personal self control.

And to think, we're led to believe, that we tracked this guy for over a year, and somehow came up with the super-clever idea that he'd be the right fit for us. Really SFC?

I would really like it, if this is the last time I have to waste another moment of my life, talking about Nathan Jones, so I'll try to make this summation as definitive and yet (hopefully) succinct as possible.

No one wanted him here. Obvious potential clusterfuck was obvious.

Sure, Lord Pony (who usually delights in belittling others with childish "cult" labels for supporting their manager) suddenly went all David Koresh, Branch Davidian on us, with regular amusing little forrays into this topic, establishing the First Church of Jones Daftees™️.

Though it was clear that the vast majority of us on here could immediately see what an absolute disaster appointing Jones was destined to be. You couldn't not see it.

But Rasmus Ankersen (and I really liked this guy at first) seems to be on some kind of personal quest to be at the cutting edge of revolutionalising the game. I like his sense of determination and self belief, it could be a great asset to us, if he can only take himself out of the way, and not get lost in believing his own hype and self publicity. Innovation needs to be tempered by experience and responsibility. It is one thing spotting the next up and coming whippersnappers for the future to invest in, but another thing entirely to so recklessly gamble our Club's future in this perillous position, by taking another punt on some extremely limited lower league manager, with his limited lower league football, and limited tactical accumen.

We all know how that has turned out for us.

From the moment Nathan Jones and his little training whistle breezed into Staplewood, he's been a walking calamity.

Unnecessarily putting people's noses out of joint. From word go, he has carried around an air of cantancerousness. Ruffling feathers. Generally coming across as a pointlessly abrasive bellend. Full of hot air and bluster, and an apparent level of self-delusion which only thinly veils an inherrently insecure man underneath.

A man who if he didn't already know full well he was utterly out of his depth before taking the job, sure wasted no time in finding out.

Things were bad at the end with Ralph, but Jones somehow spent his winter preseason contriving to make us inconceivably worse!

And then it went downhill from there.

We scraped by against limited lower league opposition in a couple of cups, managing to look woeful against Lincoln City, and making Championship strugglers Blackpool look like the top flight side for much of the second half. That, and a freak upturn in fortunes against Man City, stretched a temporary piece of clingfilm over the gaping chasm of the abysmal standard of "football" being served up for us, and Jones farcical lack of tactical prowess, or at times seemingly not even the most fundemental basic understandings. This and the small extra awkward detail of losing every single league game under his tenure, bar one.

Through all this, we have to endure the constant undercurrent of his ridiculous antagonising of the Club's own fanbase with his passive-aggressive pressers and aftermatch interviews. In the end he was just coming accross as such a nasty and bitter chap, that he became a caricature of himself. Not content with a single chip on his shoulder, he ordered an extra-large portion of them, complete with two jumbo battered sausages, and a soggy pea fritter.

Wise man once said, man in large hole should stop digging. But Nathan Jones just can't help himself.

Which brings us to today. And his mindboggling media display.

He has gone way too far this time. Totally off the reservation.

Such was the trainwreck levels of his performances on Saturday evening, both on and off the pitch, he has effectively rendered his position untenable.

If SR were hoping to keep all this simmering undercurrent of discontent quietly beneath the rug for as long as possible and buy themselves some time. then good old Mad Nate has totally pulled that rug out from under them tonight. That and the fantastic job those of you who travelled up to Brentford did in making our feelings known, has now brought this festering boil of Nathan Jones Management of our Club up to the point where I don't see how SR now have any choice other than to lance it.

His actions are now bringing the Club into disrepute, and the time has surely come for the inevitable parting of ways. SR's reputation itself is at state, if they dither and do nothing. He is the "public face" of our once proud Club for fuck sake. And he is making us an absolute laughingstock.

Time for a positive action from the Club. It is still not too late to own their mistake, and try to salvage something from what's left of the season. It would sure generate a lot of goodwill from the fanbase if they do. And give us a place from which to start building new bridges.

Mad Nate has just given us the perfect get out clause. Time to pull the plug.

We thank Mr. Jones for all his hard work and eccentricities, but in light of his recent comments in the media following a series of unacceptable results and behaviour, we have no choice but to terminate his contract, effective immediately. We all wish Mad Nate the very best for the future, at whatever club or asylum is prepared to take on his heavy mental and emotional baggage.

Southampton Football Club are now looking for an experienced quality Manager, capable of performing more than adequately in the Top Flight of English Football, with a proven track record for playing attractive attacking football.. Championship level managers need not apply.

Edited by Rivers
Formatting.
  • Like 46

34 minutes ago, Rivers said:

Like a tidal wave that has been slowly building, has just crashed down, and there is that momentary, stunned pause, whilst taking in the magnitude of what has just happened, before catching our breath, and immediately springing into response mode.

We've just witnessed the total nuclear meltdown of Nathan Jones tonight, across multiple nationwide media outlets.

My opinions of the man and his catastrophic appointment are not exactly secret here. So on the one hand, his interviews are box office comedy gold. You just couldn't make up such a character as spikey old Mad Nate from the double 'ard mining villiage. He presents himself as the ultimate pantomine antagonist you love to hate, and tops it all off with such a charming lack of self awareness. He really is as dense as he comes across. Fully Verified. ☑️

On the other hand, there is something so fundementally disturbing, as seeing a man break down like that, right there in public view. You want to reach in and pull the poor fucker out.

The more he talks, the worse he makes it for himself. And yet he cannot stop digging. He lacks all semblance of basic personal self control.

And to think, we're led to believe, that we tracked this guy for over a year, and somehow came up with the super-clever idea that he'd be the right fit for us. Really SFC?

I would really like it, if this is the last time I have to waste another moment of my life, talking about Nathan Jones, so I'll try to make this summation as definitive and yet (hopefully) succinct as possible.

Sure, Lord Pony (who usually delights in belittling others with childish "cult" labels for supporting their manager) suddenly went all David Koresh, Branch Davidian on us, with regular amusing little forrays into this topic, establishing the First Church of Jones Daftees™️.

Though it was clear that the vast majority of us on here could immediately see what an absolute disaster appointing Jones was destined to be. You couldn't not see it.

But Rasmus Ankersen (and I really liked this guy at first) seems to be on some kind of personal quest to be at the cutting edge of revolutionalising the game. I like his sense of determination and self belief, it could be a great asset to us, if he can only take himself out of the way, and not get lost in believing his own hype and self publicity. Innovation needs to be tempered by experience and responsibility. It is one thing spotting the next up and coming whippersnappers for the future to invest in, but another thing entirely to so recklessly gamble our Club's future in this perillous position, by taking another punt on some extremely limited lower league manager, with his limited lower league football, and limited tactical accumen.

From the moment Nathan Jones and his little training whistle breezed into Staplewood, he's been a walking calamity.

Unnecessarily putting people's noses out of joint. From word go, he has carried around an air of cantancerousness. Ruffling feathers. Generally coming across as a pointlessly abrasive bellend. Full of hot air and bluster, and an apparent level of self-delusion which only thinly veils an inherrently insecure man underneath.

A man who if he didn't already know full well he was utterly out of his depth before taking the job, sure wasted no time in finding out.

Things were bad at the end with Ralph, but Jones somehow spent his winter preseason contriving to make us inconceivably worse!

We scraped by against limited lower league opposition in a couple of cups, managing to look woeful against Lincoln City, and making Championship strugglers Blackpool look like the top flight side for much of the second half. That, and a freak upturn in fortunes against Man City, stretched a temporary piece of clingfilm over the gaping chasm of the abysmal standard of "football" being served up for us, and Jones farcical lack of tactical prowess, or at times seemingly not even the most fundemental basic understandings. This and the small extra awkward detail of losing every single league game under his tenure, bar one.

Through all this, we have to endure the constant undercurrent of his ridiculous antagonising of the Club's own fanbase with his passive-aggressive pressers and aftermatch interviews. In the end he was just coming accross as such a nasty and bitter chap, that he became a caricature of himself. Not content with a single chip on his shoulder, he ordered an extra-large portion of them, complete with two jumbo battered sausages, and a soggy pea fritter.

Wise man once said, man in large hole should stop digging. But Nathan Jones just can't help himself.

Such was the trainwreck levels of his performances on Saturday evening, both on and off the pitch, he has effectively rendered his position untenable.

If SR were hoping to keep all this simmering undercurrent of discontent quietly beneath the rug for as long as possible and buy themselves some time. then good old Mad Nate has totally pulled that rug out from under them tonight. That and the fantastic job those of you who travelled up to Brentford did in making our feelings known, has now brought this festering boil of Nathan Jones Management of our Club up to the point where I don't see how SR now have any choice other than to lance it.

His actions are now bringing the Club into disrepute, and the time has surely come for the inevitable parting of ways. SR's reputation itself is at state, if they dither and do nothing. He is the "public face" of our once proud Club for fuck sake. And he is making us an absolute laughingstock.

Time for a positive action from the Club. It is still not too late to own their mistake, and try to salvage something from what's left of the season. It would sure generate a lot of goodwill from the fanbase if they do. And give us a place from which to start building new bridges.

We thank Mr. Jones for all his hard work and eccentricities, but in light of his recent comments in the media following a series of unacceptable results and behaviour, we have no choice but to terminate his contract, effective immediately. We all wish Mad Nate the very best for the future, at whatever club or asylum is prepared to take on his heavy mental and emotional baggage.

Southampton Football Club are now looking for an experienced quality Manager, capable of performing more than adequately in the Top Flight of English Football, with a proven track record for playing attractive attacking football.. Championship level managers need not apply.

Well, as you posted this at 5.30am Sunday morning I'm guessing you had a sleepless night after the clusterfuck at Brentford, but yes!! an excellent summary. 

• Like 1

Here's a Luton press conference. To summarise. They didn't have enough quality. They went 2-0 down because they didn't defend their box properly. They got it in the other team's box more but couldn't score. 

When Jones says he doesn't recognise himself in Saints it seems like these are characteristics of Jones teams.

https://youtu.be/Jm-XaeMfELw

Edited by coalman
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Leaving the football to one side, Jones is concerning.

I believe Chris Sutton said tonight he "makes things up as he goes along"

I don't believe he is emotionally up to the job and on that basis I don't think he should be in the spotlight running a (not for much longer) premier league side

Chris Sutton would know, he's built his punditry career using this method.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Am wondering if we can get to page 100 on this thread before he is sacked.

Rasmus has dropped the biggest of bollocks on this one, whose going to trust him to get the next manager right ?

I'd let Selle's take us for the rest of the season, i dont think there is a manager who would come in who'd make an instant impact anymore, they've all been hired.

Whoever does though please stop selecting Bednerak, Moi and Diallo as starters please.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Am wondering if we can get to page 100 on this thread before he is sacked.

Rasmus has dropped the biggest of bollocks on this one, whose going to trust him to get the next manager right ?

I'd let Selle's take us for the rest of the season, i dont think there is a manager who would come in who'd make an instant impact anymore, they've all been hired.

Whoever does though please stop selecting Bednerak, Moi and Diallo as starters please.

Page hundred might take us a few days. Can't we get it done by 70? On the plus side, if he stays we get to watch his feud with Ian Wright play out

Edited by coalman
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rivers said:

I take my hat off to you Rivers.   A devastatingly accurate synopsis of the turbulence which has been building up since Jones came through the door.    Yesterday was surely the endgame of his 11 or 12 week joyride.    And your summary is a suitable epitaph of his Managerial stint at SFC....I hope.

• Like 3

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Jones
  • AlexLaw76 changed the title to Nathan Jones - Sacked (Official)!