Nathan Jones

AlexLaw76

I think they will give him the Wolves game. I think his little rant yesterday will make them consider that next week MIGHT just be different !

If its the same old, same old.....or we dont win, it'll turn extremely toxic very quickly and they then probably wont have a choice.

But until next week I believe they will clutch at the one remaining straw that he's thrown out. Nobody likes to admit they've made a mistake, SR as a collective will be no different.

I hope I'm wrong and that he's gone by tomorrow evening.

7 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

@Saint86

Not seen this one before, he openly mentions “certain players and internationals”

Enjoy 7 more minutes of insanity. 

Reminiscent of an interview at the Police Station prior to his perplexed defence solicitor saying ‘you might want to look at the cctv before saying anything else…’ 

1 minute ago, beatlesaint said:

I think they will give him the Wolves game. I think his little rant yesterday will make them consider that next week MIGHT just be different !

Yeah, a small part of me is actually now intrigued to see what this remarkable transformation will look like....

31 minutes ago, egg said:

Yep, either or both. If it's players then it's his job to manage them. If it's SR though, he hasn't got a prayer (no pun intended). If it's players and SR, his authority is being undermined at both ends. 

His in laws live in the same town as me, one works with a good mate of mine. I’ve been priming him for info, but none has been forthcoming. The work colleagues tip toe around the subject of Saints, & he himself (family member) has told my mate that Jones’ family tip toe around it with him.

One snippet he gave me back in Nov before it went tits up was about player recruiting . They would give the manager the players, and as far as SR are concerned they’re assists. Clearly some won’t be rated by the manager and whereas they thought Ralph would freeze them out, Jonesy told them he was prepared to work with these players . He told them making players better was “his job”, one that was specifically mentioned to my mate was Adam Armstrong. Obviously the Bree signing casts doubt on this theory, but it’s peanuts in modern terms, so maybe a case of chucking jones a bone. 

Assuming that’s true (and I’ve no reason to doubt it, and it’s 100% fact my mate knows the bloke), I don’t think SR are dictating formations, but they maybe giving him players that lend themselves to certain formations. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

It almost feels as he has gone to the Mourinho levels of being as unprofessional as is reasonably acceptable to get the sack tbh

Makes me physically sick we’re going to be paying this prick a hefty fee just to get him out of the club

We don’t know the terms of his contract.  It might not be that expensive to get rid of him.  

1 hour ago, ally_uk said:

Does Rasmus pick the team and formation?  Serious question..

Did he do the same whilst Ralph was here? 

If so no wonder we are screwed 

No manager would take a job if that was the case. It just doesnt happen at any other club.

And if it is happening, then more fool Jones for going along with it.

Im sure when Jones is sacked we'll hear his side in a tell all interview no doubt. Though there will definitely be plenty of arse saving from Jones. Can put the blame on others that it all came crashing down so quickly

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Sorry egg but I don’t buy that unless you have more than just a feeling - by all means share it via pm if you feel it too much to put in the public domain.

Jones is a man that would name names he is already on record as saying that players have come to him with reservations about the set up of the team - he is known for playing a back 5/3. At the end of the day he is a drowning man grabbing desperately at anything he feels might save him but not realising the further damage he is doing to himself and by association SFC. 

On my last paragraph, it's a wee bit more than a feeling, but nothing substantial enough to put it any higher than that.  On your second paragraph, Jones isn't shy, and hasn't been shy about throwing his players under the bus. He was very guarded, and I'm very open minded about the influence he refers to. That all said, whatever he meant, he's a dead man walking BUT I'd hope that any new man is allowed to work autonomously. 

19 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

@Saint86

Not seen this one before, he openly mentions “certain players and internationals”

I made it about 24 seconds and it sounds like he's basically going to go to war with the players. Maybe it gets better as I watch more of it?.... 

Man fuck me. He even gets down to talking about the players as "they"... "they've been losing games", "they've not been defending the box well enough" etc. Direct blaming/shaming off the team and players not being good enough with no togetherness with him as part of the squad. All his comments about himself are "I, I, I, me, me, me" etc. 

Is he trying to get the sack. Must be some serious klaxons going off upstairs!! 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

“There were some extraordinary comments in the press conference after the game I’ve been to a few Nathan Jones press conferences in recent weeks and he does come out with some David Brent Alan Partridge comments that have you scratching your head

To say yesterday when Luton were at the height of their powers there was no one better than me in Europe

take my hat off to him, For someone who has never achieved anything at the top level of the game he has extraordinary self belief”

Jamie Weir Sky sports on SSN just now 🤣🤣

• Haha 7

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

“There were some extraordinary comments in the press conference after the game I’ve been to a few Nathan Jones press conferences in recent weeks and he does come out with some David Brent Alan Partridge comments that have you scratching your head

To say yesterday when Luton were at the height of their powers there was no one better than me in Europe

take my hat off to him, For someone who has never achieved anything at the top level of the game he has extraordinary self belief”

It’s comical. He’s made us a laughing stock. 

51 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

I think you’re spot on.

It’s been alluded to by a lot that the players actually do like him so I don’t think he’d say what he said yesterday about interference if he didn’t think he had some sort of solid backing behind him. 

I think he’s gone to war with Sports Republic, not the players. And he’s thrown the gauntlet down, big time.

I seriously don’t think he’s that clever 😟

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Those comments referring to himself as the 'best manager in Europe' were very ill-judged, but I don't think they're truly made up - it's a play on stats.

He's obsessed with stats isn't he, so at some stage last year he probably looked at overall stats of xG, ball wins, crosses, counter press etc and saw he was up there with the best - he wasn't up there because of winning games, you know the important stuff, just stats. Again, it shows pretty clearly how stats can be totally misconstrued to create a false sense of greatness.

Sadly Ankerson is fully onboard with all that stat nonsense as well, so you can totally assume that he was wanking over the same stats page as Jones - probably at the same time. That's an image you don't want to have.

I still want to know where TDWar went by the way, conspicuous by his absence and now our fooball club is being run by stats without substance.

Edited by S-Clarke

5 minutes ago, trousers said:

Over to our betting correspondent @Matthew Le God in the studio... ;)

Even MLG has been on twitter saying the fanbase is unified against him and that it was going to turn unbelievably toxic if brentford went badly... I'm sure MLG would agree those odds are now fairly reflective! 😅

Edited by Saint86

6 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

His in laws live in the same town as me, one works with a good mate of mine. I’ve been priming him for info, but none has been forthcoming. The work colleagues tip toe around the subject of Saints, & he himself (family member) has told my mate that Jones’ family tip toe around it with him.

One snippet he gave me back in Nov before it went tits up was about player recruiting . They would give the manager the players, and as far as SR are concerned they’re assists. Clearly some won’t be rated by the manager and whereas they thought Ralph would freeze them out, Jonesy told them he was prepared to work with these players . He told them making players better was “his job”, one that was specifically mentioned to my mate was Adam Armstrong. Obviously the Bree signing casts doubt on this theory, but it’s peanuts in modern terms, so maybe a case of chucking jones a bone. 

Assuming that’s true (and I’ve no reason to doubt it, and it’s 100% fact my mate knows the bloke), I don’t think SR are dictating formations, but they maybe giving him players that lend themselves to certain formations. 

Thanks for that Duck. Giving players is very much part of the modern game to be fair. The management part of the role is limited to training, tactics, team selection, managing players and expectations. Everything else is done by others. You may be right that the SR influence doesn't extend into the dressing room, and hopefully that's correct. 

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Was just going to post that. Its clear he's talking about the players from that. Extraordinary. 

He’s clearly talking about the players and maybe Jones position is now untenable but we have bigger issues than the manager if players are not feeling comfortable in certain formations and are dictating the way we play. To get out of this mess, some home truths will have to be told to those players, whether that’s Jones or Selles (who somehow seems to get more credit the worse we get) or somebody else. 

Edited by Fabrice29
  • Like 1

Just now, Fabrice29 said:

He’s clearly talking about the players and maybe Jones position is now untenable but we have bigger issues than the manager if players are not feeling comfortable in certain formations and are dictating the way we play. To get out of this mess, some home truths will have to be told to those players, so whether that’s Jones or Selles (who somehow seems to get more credit the worse we get) or somebody else. 

But systems don't win games apparently so it shouldn't matter if we play in the formation the players want to play in. 

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

So basically, Ralph took a hard line with SR and they've gone for the yes man 😂

Should have just kept Ralph and got him the players he badly needed. 

If we sacked Jones I was wondering that if we got Ralph back, would we then only end up paying Ralph his contract and Jones his contract, as opposed to paying off Ralph, Jones, and a 3rd manager's new contract. What a mess though... 

(not that Ralph would come back or that our fans would accept him obviously). 

Edited by Saint86

1 hour ago, richardc said:

Apparently the RAF were alerted this morning after an number of sightings of Chinese Spy balloons around the Staplewood area. It was later confirmed that Nathan Jones had brought the team in early for training on his new tactics

Could be true - I drove along the Marchwood by-pass earlier and saw a black face above the trees which must have been Tall Paul.

Just now, Fabrice29 said:

He’s clearly talking about the players and maybe Jones position is now untenable but we have bigger issues than the manager if players are not feeling comfortable in certain formations and are dictating the way we play. To get out of this mess, some home truths will have to be told to those players, so whether that’s Jones or Selles (who somehow seems to get more credit the worse we get) or somebody else. 

Totally, the players aren't blameless here. I still find it very uncomfortable that we have a bunch of players who feel like they can tell everyone what they want, they've been losing every week for over a year. I don't think they have any right to demand anything, they just need to get their head down and do exactly what they're told.

The manager needs to be a hell of a lot more clever managing that situation though, what he's done with his comments is simply made them winners in this argument and you know what happens when the players win. They've still got a lot to answer for imo.

Jones has been an unmitigated disaster and one of the worst people ever associated with this club, but let's not allow this to cover up some of the utter charlatans we have had playing for us for many years.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

@Saint86

Cheers. My mind's made up from that. He says "no, not at all" when asked if there's "outside noise" about compromise. It's him. The rest of it is horrific. It sounds like he's almost fighting with himself. Very bizarre. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, egg said:

Thanks for that Duck. Giving players is very much part of the modern game to be fair. The management part of the role is limited to training, tactics, team selection, managing players and expectations. Everything else is done by others. You may be right that the SR influence doesn't extend into the dressing room, and hopefully that's correct. 

I can’t believe SR would sign two Croatian internationals then put them in the B team the day before a crucial match. I don’t think they’re interfering in that sort of stuff. There were rumours of a training ground/dressing room bust up after Forest and during the Palace game where players and coaches fell out with Jones over how we were playing I reckon it’s that. However if Jones say is how we played against Forest god help us

Just now, egg said:

Cheers. My mind's made up from that. He says "no, not at all" when asked if there's "outside noise" about compromise. It's him. The rest of it is horrific. It sounds like he's almost fighting with himself. Very bizarre. 

Yeah, I’m swaying towards the players part. There’s some obviously towing the line, others that aren’t. Obviously the players brought up the formation change, which he was persuaded by - and listened to.

He’s aware the fans brought it up also, but categorically has said he doesn’t listen to that (the outside noise).

I guess we’re getting bizarre lineups because he’s ostracised those who aren’t on board.

More Moi and Diallo it is then.

Ugh, this is a horrible mess.

9 minutes ago, egg said:

There’s loads examples where players have been given to managers & managers haven’t rated them, and therefore frozen them out. These are assets, and freezing them out devalues them in SR’s eyes). The words used were “that’s my job”, when he was discussing making poor signings better. 

So thinking about his comments, what has he actually had to compromise on?

Player selections? Is he being made to pick certain players, if so, who? Bazunu (did he sign on the basis of guaranteed playing time?) - but hasn't MaCarthy been injured? KWP/Lavia play a lot - but they're our best players. Salisu? Moi....!?

Formations? He's played 3CBs, which is his preferred system and what he wants. It hasn't worked. Is he being made to play with a back 4?

What else might he be having to compromise on?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, egg said:

On my last paragraph, it's a wee bit more than a feeling, but nothing substantial enough to put it any higher than that.  On your second paragraph, Jones isn't shy, and hasn't been shy about throwing his players under the bus. He was very guarded, and I'm very open minded about the influence he refers to. That all said, whatever he meant, he's a dead man walking BUT I'd hope that any new man is allowed to work autonomously. 

I don’t think any manager would come under the implied constraints you are alluding to.  When he himself says he was brought in to play a certain way and has gone against that I’m pretty sure he is referring to SR bringing him in to play a certain way (the way he played to get Luton to where they were). He is now throwing the people that changed his mind ( the players as already stated). IMHO it doesn’t matter who he took council from, the buck stops with him as he is the manager that has final say and it’s him that implements his decisions (irrespective of how he came to those decisions). He is either very weak or a puppet neither of which are great traits for a  football manager.

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

I can’t believe SR would sign two Croatian internationals then put them in the B team the day before a crucial match. I don’t think they’re interfering in that sort of stuff. There were rumours of a training ground/dressing room bust up after Forest and during the Palace game where players and coaches fell out with Jones over how we were playing I reckon it’s that. However if Jones say is how we played against Forest god help us

Actually horrendous if it's been going on that long. Rasmus certainly has had a very steep learning curve to football club ownership. But he needs to sort this out. We aren't down yet but it's getting less and less likely we survive. He either acts now to get a quality manager in who somehow keeps us up, or he goes out and gets someone to drive us forward next season on the championship who can minimise the hit that is coming with a rejigged business model - I personally would love to see bielsa or poch back (I know it's unlikely). But if we can go and spend nearly £20m on a striker that can only play hoof ball (for a fanbase that wants high tempo attacking pressing football with youngsters), then we can damn well go out and spend it on the right kind of manager. 

I apreciate the money SR have put in, and I get that they need to learn and will make some mistakes, but they've certainly gone into this thinking they were a heck of a lot cleverer than they thought they were and they need to get their next decisions right or we'll be back to, "save our saints" buckets in another 5 years... 

1 hour ago, bangkoksaint said:

You know what I’m not a great fan of his, don’t think he’s the answer and there are clearly issues. However in that interview he’s called some people out and showed a bit of fight. IF, and I say IF it’s SR calling some of the shots re selection etc then he’s shown more backbone than Ralph who, from results and performances, would have appeared to have just rolled over. If the players are on board, if NJ is still here next Saturday and he’s as good as his word then I’d expect a completely different performance to what we’ve been seeing. Unfortunately there’s lots of ‘ifs’ in there. I also wonder if (sorry!) SR will impose a gagging order on him if they sack him.

If they sack him and he wants compensation he will undoubtedly be required to sign an NDA.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fabrice29 said:

The players have underperformed under two managers with very contrasting career records, so yes, absolutely, the players do need some home truths being told. However, it is also a group of players who, barely a year ago, went unbeaten in a month against the two Manchester clubs, Tottenham, West Ham, plus three games we were favourites for in Everton, Norwich and Coventry, so everyone knows they are capable. But it was as soon as that run ended with that horrendous 4-0 at Villa that it's all unravelled - Broja didn't contribute at all for the rest of the season, sure, but it can't all be on one kid.

I've no issue with senior players - who know their own games and are experienced enough to know when to speak up if something clearly isn't working - giving their opinions to the manager and coaching staff. It's when there's sniping and briefing off the record and under the radar when it's unhealthy.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

Yeah, I’m swaying towards the players part. There’s some obviously towing the line, others that aren’t. Obviously the players brought up the formation change, which he was persuaded by - and listened to.

He’s aware the fans brought it up also, but categorically has said he doesn’t listen to that (the outside noise).

I guess we’re getting bizarre lineups because he’s ostracised those who aren’t on board.

More Moi and Diallo it is then.

Ugh, this is a horrible mess.

You can now clearly see why Moi, Diallo and Lyanco have been almost ever presents in his teams.

They know that they're way, way short of being good enough for this level so they'll toe the line of whatever is said so they get their starts. Moi strikes me as such a teachers pet, JWP similar to be honest, but even he seems a little more subdued. This is a huge test of his captaincy, which let's be honest has never been inspiring at any stage.

• Like 1

He is clearly struggling and some of the things he speaks about doesn't make a lot of sense. 

But the sad witch hunt on him is embarrassing, Was exactly the same with Ralph until we all got our way and it will be the same with the next manager if he doesn't win his 1st three games in charge.  

It's probably the owners, players, fans that are the the poison running through this club not the scapegoats chosen.

• Like 2
  • Haha 18
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Saintsfan79 said:

He is clearly struggling and some of the things he speaks about doesn't make a lot of sense. 

But the sad witch hunt on him is embarrassing, Was exactly the same with Ralph until we all got our way and it will be the same with the next manager if he doesn't win his 1st three games in charge.  

It's probably the owners, players, fans that are the the poison running through this club not the scapegoats chosen.

🤣

7 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

So basically, Ralph took a hard line with SR and they've gone for the yes man 😂

Ralph was a yes man when it came to signings, they all are pretty much nowadays. He didn’t take a hard line, he’d have gone in the summer if he did.

As I’ve said, it’s what they’d do with players they don’t rate that was the difference, not who they’d sign. To make it simple. If Big Paul is shite, Ralph won’t play him, Jones will. 

1 minute ago, Saintsfan79 said:

Hi Nathan's family. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

Just now, Saintsfan79 said:

There is no witch hunt, he is creating this toxicity. He is making our football club a laughing stock around the world by the way he acts and portrays himself, he looks and acts like a dishevelled mess. 

As fans we know when things are good, we're also equally astute to know when things aren't good. Using players as an example, you could clearly see that Tino was a good player the moment he touched the football, but on the other side you can clearly tell that Jones is out of his depth by almost everything he does.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Saintsfan79 said:

Yeah no idea where the negativity towards him id coming from……

Just now, Lord Duckhunter said:

Ralph was a yes man when it came to signings, they all are pretty much nowadays. He didn’t take a hard line, he’d have gone in the summer if he did.

As I’ve said, it’s what they’d do with players they don’t rate that was the difference, not who they’d sign. To make it simple. If Big Paul is shite, Ralph won’t play him, Jones will. 

Why is that a strength? We don't want someone who plays a shite player just because they've been told to. I'm assuming this is also relevant with regards to Bednarek coming back. 

7 minutes ago, Saintsfan79 said:

Is it a witch hunt? At best, Jones is someone out of his depth in a job he wasn't ready for.

But, nobody made him give the players a 2 week break during the World Cup when he could've been working with them. He squandered that opportunity. Nobody makes him boast about how great his record at Luton was. Nobody makes him use his press conferences to answer his critics. Nobody makes him play Bednarek, Lyanco, Diallo, Elyounoussi. He's made choices here which an increasing number of people question. 

Edited by coalman

3 minutes ago, Saintsfan79 said:

His lack of humility, the fact he takes little responsibility and comes across as an arrogant prat has made him the most unpopular saints manager in decades. Most of it self inflicted unfortunately for him.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, stevegrant said:

However, it is also a group of players who, barely a year ago, went unbeaten in a month against the two Manchester clubs, Tottenham, West Ham, plus three games we were favourites for in Everton, Norwich and Coventry, so everyone knows they are capable. But it was as soon as that run ended with that horrendous 4-0 at Villa that it's all unravelled

This is the biggest mystery of all to me. One that would surely have baffled Arthur C Clark too. How does a team go from being that decent (albeit in patches) to utter tripe in the space of a few months, and beyond? If the players were simply "championship standard" then they wouldn't have been able to go on that kind of run at all, in patches or otherwise.

It's got to come down to a combination of confidence and attitude, which is ultimately down to the manager to instill. 

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Jones
  • AlexLaw76 changed the title to Nathan Jones - Sacked (Official)!