Nathan Jones

AlexLaw76

Who are the ITK's on this forum nowadays?

I'd be fascinated to know what's going on at board level; if anything.

How can you still be in a job when you've alienated the fans time and time again, thrown several players under the bus, thrown the team under the bus on a couple of occasions and now what appears to be either his coaching staff or the upper hierarchy? 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, trousers said:

Surely there's enough material here for one of those Hitler Downfall videos. Any volunteers?

I’d actually prefer Hitler as our manager, even if the success was shortlived. Less abrasive personality than NJ and great at press conferences and fan forums. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Who are the ITK's on this forum nowadays?

I'd be fascinated to know what's going on at board level; if anything.

How can you still be in a job when you've alienated the fans time and time again, thrown several players under the bus, thrown the team under the bus on a couple of occasions and now what appears to be either his coaching staff or the upper hierarchy? 

If he's not gone by lunchtime Monday your question should be the first asked at the fans forum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

They were never going to announce it before meeting about it and then informing him. Later today there will be an announcement I'm sure of it.

The performances on the pitch could be enough to sack him but it looks like SR are too proud to act quickly. But after those embarrassing interviews yesterday the board may have no other choice than to get rid now. Jones actually talked himself out of the job.

2 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

You reckon? sounds like he’s got one more shot based on him assuming he can go back to what he wants.

Not sure about that - I don't think Jones is in a position to start saying "my real reign starts NOW from now not before" like kids trying to restart a playground five a side because they're eight nil down.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, austsaint said:

What's your take on Mr Jones now LD?    Less bullish?

I stand by what I wrote on Jan 5th

Personally, I prefer to see who comes in during the window before pulling the plug, see if there’s a change in attitude and culture within the club. Somebody needs to take it by the scruff of the neck, get rid of the losing mentality and upset a few of the precious darlings. Personally, I think he deserves the chance to do this. I understand peoples anger and don’t think I’m a “better fan” than them. But with this shower of shite, the next bloke that comes in will face exactly the same problem.   As he’s SR’s man, and the loss of face that’ll come with sacking him, he maybe given more leeway to do the nasty stuff and kick a few arses. Making a few tweaks to Ralph’s playbook won’t cut it. 

28 minutes ago, egg said:

Yep. That Blackmore interview throws up more questions than answers for me. He's clearly been doing as he's been told, but he doesn't say by who. He's content to point the finger of blame at his players, but he doesn't point the finger at them on the compromise issue. That could be him showing some restraint (bot his style though) or that he feels he can't say any more.

I'm not convinced that Ralph had free rein over team selections, and I'm not convinced that Jones does either. 

in the press conference interview he says he’s compromised because of the way people want to play, I wonder who the “that is…

could be SR but there were also rumours of a big bust up with the players and coaches during the palace game so could be them.

he then went on about how he was one of the best in Europe again though 

Edited by Turkish

36 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Anyone who starts Elyonoussi & Diallo in the same team has to go! both poor excuses for players! Anyone who thinks Walcott is still a football player has to go too! He should never have been appointed in the first place it was beyond crazy he had no credentials to manage in the premier league whatsoever and hasn't improved us one bit in fact he's made us a lot worse, it's not his fault as anyone in his position would have jumped at the chance! He has to go and so does the genius that appointed him! We are definitely heading for the championship but let's at least go down without this arrogant self congratulatory jumped up little shit as our manager 🙏

Excellent summary Mr X.

Jones lacks all the skills you need to ‘Manage’ Christ, Harry Rednap is more articulate !

Jones has no substance at all, the team selections are unbelievably inept, the tactics are confused and without any considered foundation or preparation. The only thing Jones seems to have brought into the building is his ego.

The situation after the debacle of his football so far and the farcically comedic interviews yesterday and previously leave him in an untenable position. Players and fans will have no respect for the guy at all and you cannot manage a team in any walk of life without earning some respect.

if the owners/Directors still believe Jones is even stable enough to continue then they too will lose what little respect that remains for them.

• Like 1

Worth a crafty tenner on a Lage and Selles Algarve chillout remix. Hipster enough for Rasmus to retain some Ted points and likely to get us organised and looking like a team. Lage might fancy it and I don’t think Selles has done anything wrong, he’s liked by the players. Tick tock. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I stand by what I wrote on Jan 5th

Personally, I prefer to see who comes in during the window before pulling the plug, see if there’s a change in attitude and culture within the club. Somebody needs to take it by the scruff of the neck, get rid of the losing mentality and upset a few of the precious darlings. Personally, I think he deserves the chance to do this. I understand peoples anger and don’t think I’m a “better fan” than them. But with this shower of shite, the next bloke that comes in will face exactly the same problem.   As he’s SR’s man, and the loss of face that’ll come with sacking him, he maybe given more leeway to do the nasty stuff and kick a few arses. Making a few tweaks to Ralph’s playbook won’t cut it. 

Certainly my fear is if they do appoint what is seemingly a competent manager and we still turn out the same dross then… it’d be fair to suggest that there’s a huge chunk of responsibility lying with the players and senior management - not just the coaching staff etc.

18 minutes ago, egg said:

I'm not sure it was inane. He had something to sayI. His message is "i've had to make compromises and as a result we're shit. I've not been allowed to do what I want. I'm better than that shit you've been watching". 

The interpretation on here of that interview is very superficial. There's much more going on than that. 

You know what I’m not a great fan of his, don’t think he’s the answer and there are clearly issues. However in that interview he’s called some people out and showed a bit of fight. IF, and I say IF it’s SR calling some of the shots re selection etc then he’s shown more backbone than Ralph who, from results and performances, would have appeared to have just rolled over. If the players are on board, if NJ is still here next Saturday and he’s as good as his word then I’d expect a completely different performance to what we’ve been seeing. Unfortunately there’s lots of ‘ifs’ in there. I also wonder if (sorry!) SR will impose a gagging order on him if they sack him.

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

in the press conference interview he says he’s compromised because of the way people want to play, I wonder who the “that is…

could be SR but there were also rumours of a big bust up with the players and coaches during the palace game so could be them.

he then went on about how he was one of the best in Europe again though 

If there's a chasm between the coach and the players, it only ends in one way.

The players are responsible for this shit as well but for now we can only change one person immediately

10 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Not sure about that - I don't think Jones is in a position to start saying "my real reign starts NOW from now not before" like kids trying to restart a playground five a side because they're eight nil down.

I reckon that Nat would have have been the skinny kid with the snotty nose, hood up on the parka, half mast strides, spinning on the roundabout muttering to himself. 

Edited by Miltonaggro
  • Haha 2

Jones, Hasenhuttl ..or whoever.. the simple truth is that although some players have certain qualities, and " sort of function", 

occasionally - our squad is simply not good enough.  We can't score and many points have been lost for the want of a single goal.

The profit we made from selling VvD was squandered on over-priced, unsuitable, sub-standard replacements from other leagues

whilst those remaining from the post-Koeman sides gradually departed the club and were never adequately replaced.

The slide began a year ago ......when a vastly-improved side that was top of the Prem. just two months before dramatically 

imploded 0-4 at Villa Park, and it's gone downhill ever since. The summer purchases of teenage talents who had been discarded

by other Prem. sides has proven too much when they are  all  " thrown to the lions"  every week without the support and guidance

of more experienced players who know their way around the Prem.  and hold things together.

Without  a massive improvement in the next few games Nathan Jones may follow in the furrows left by those who went before him. 

Being a Prem. manager - at our end of the table - is simply about one thing ....getting points, and staying clear of the drop zone.

The only consolation for NJ  may be that better managers than him have trodden the Prem. path before him ... and failed.

I would like to see a new management team of Roy Keane and John Terry.

Both are winners and played the game at the highest level.  Both have coaching experience and have learned from the best managers in the game.

If the players step out of line they can expect Keane to knock them out and Terry to shag their wives.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, bangkoksaint said:

You know what I’m not a great fan of his, don’t think he’s the answer and there are clearly issues. However in that interview he’s called some people out and showed a bit of fight. IF, and I say IF it’s SR calling some of the shots re selection etc then he’s shown more backbone than Ralph who, from results and performances, would have appeared to have just rolled over. If the players are on board, if NJ is still here next Saturday and he’s as good as his word then I’d expect a completely different performance to what we’ve been seeing. Unfortunately there’s lots of ‘ifs’ in there. I also wonder if (sorry!) SR will impose a gagging order on him if they sack him.

If what you say is true (there's another if) then more fool him for not being his own man.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Lage might fancy it and I don’t think Selles has done anything wrong, he’s liked by the players

Didn't Lage generally play 5 at the back when he was at Wolves? If so, would he try to do the same at Saints & fail miserably, or would he actually know what he was doing & get it working? Obviously completely hypothetical as there isn't currently a managerial vacancy🤦‍♂️.

8 minutes ago, Turkish said:

in the press conference interview he says he’s compromised because of the way they want to play, I wonder who the “they” is…

Yep, either or both. If it's players then it's his job to manage them. If it's SR though, he hasn't got a prayer (no pun intended). If it's players and SR, his authority is being undermined at both ends. 

My instinct, and it's only that, is that there is SR involvement somewhere. If that's the case, that interview could be a "fuck you SR, see where your way has got us. From now on I'm doing it my way, and bin me if you're not gonna allow that" kind of interview.

As I've said above, the reaction on here has been superficial. That's understandable cos it sounds awful, but there's a depth to that interview that we don't know about.

Edited by egg
  • Like 1

the problem we have now is with a really fast winger who probably likes the ball on the floor, and a 6ft 7 striker who can’t win a header, is that suited to nathan jones “real” football style or were they signed for his supposed “faking it for past 3 months” style. we’ve just spent 40 odd million on them.

Nathan Jones would lose no credit now by coming out and naming the "they" in all of this. If anything it may gain him some brownie points if he's being dictated to or anything along those lines.

I actually doubt this is the case at all and think he's is just trying to scapegoat a lot of things on other people; but hypothetically, if this is him showing a backbone and trying to put up a fight through gritted teeth then go the whole way! Call them out!
Worse case scenario is he'll lose his job (if it's the upper hierarchy), he'll get his pay off and it'll be own wide open for all to see.

His Saints managerial career is already over either way now after these interviews, team selections and other comments.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

Jones, Hasenhuttl ..or whoever.. the simple truth is that although some players have certain qualities, and " sort of function", 

occasionally - our squad is simply not good enough.  We can't score and many points have been lost for the want of a single goal.

The profit we made from selling VvD was squandered on over-priced, unsuitable, sub-standard replacements from other leagues

whilst those remaining from the post-Koeman sides gradually departed the club and were never adequately replaced.

The slide began a year ago ......when a vastly-improved side that was top of the Prem. just two months before dramatically 

imploded 0-4 at Villa Park, and it's gone downhill ever since. The summer purchases of teenage talents who had been discarded

by other Prem. sides has proven too much when they are  all  " thrown to the lions"  every week without the support and guidance

of more experienced players who know their way around the Prem.  and hold things together.

Without  a massive improvement in the next few games Nathan Jones may follow in the furrows left by those who went before him. 

Being a Prem. manager - at our end of the table - is simply about one thing ....getting points, and staying clear of the drop zone.

The only consolation for NJ  may be that better managers than him have trodden the Prem. path before him ... and failed.

If he’s still here tomorrow the club have blown it, to give Jones ‘a few more games’ would be complete negligence and kill the club. He is the worst manager that I can remember in the Premier League, at Saints or anywhere else.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, egg said:

Yep, either or both. If it's players then it's his job to manage them. If it's SR though, he hasn't got a prayer (no pun intended). It's players and SR, his authority is being undermined at both ends. 

My instinct, and it's only that, is that there is SR involvement somewhere. If that's the case, that interview could be a "fuck you SR, see where your way has got us. From now on I'm doing it my way, and bin me if you're not gonna allow that" kind of interview.

As I've said above, the reaction on here has been superficial. There's a depth to that interview that we don't know about.

I think you’re spot on.

It’s been alluded to by a lot that the players actually do like him so I don’t think he’d say what he said yesterday about interference if he didn’t think he had some sort of solid backing behind him. 

I think he’s gone to war with Sports Republic, not the players. And he’s thrown the gauntlet down, big time.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Miltonaggro said:

There has to be an announcement of departure today. Anything else is beyond recklessness, bordering on negligence. We are currently laughing stock for goodness sake, put Jones out of his misery and give the club a chance of building some unity and self-respect. 

NJ has unified the fan base at least. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, egg said:

Yep, either or both. If it's players then it's his job to manage them. If it's SR though, he hasn't got a prayer (no pun intended). If it's players and SR, his authority is being undermined at both ends. 

As I've said above, the reaction on here has been superficial. That's understandable cos it sounds awful, but there's a depth to that interview that we don't know about.

It was clear he was speaking about players to me. That wasn't a veiled dig at SR. 

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Jones
  • AlexLaw76 changed the title to Nathan Jones - Sacked (Official)!