Nathan Jones

AlexLaw76

He seems to be using the Liz Truss guide as to why it's all not his fault , he will cost the club a bit less than her £40 Billion cost the country.

He has the same lack of self awareness along with the modern trend of taking 'full responsibility ' while explaining why it's everybody else's fault not his.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I would be interested to hear the reasoning from the 10 people who have so far voted no, although I can perhaps understand their reluctance to discuss it openly.

Seriously, what can you possibly see in him that convinces you things will improve and he's worth keeping around?

9 hours ago, RedArmy said:

The same formation that was forced upon Ralph in pre season and promptly dumped as soon as possible. 

Somebody within the club is pushing this formation and they need to fuck off. 

Like I said yesterday on here that Jones is Ankerson’s puppet and this was why he employed him.

Maybe just maybe the last saving grace for us is that Jones does it his way and tells Wankerson to fuck off!

1 minute ago, Killers Knee said:

The Stoke fans did warn us this would happen.  So his moniker of Mad Nate is truly deserved.   

They warned us about Mark Hughes too. I hate to say this but maybe we should listen to Stoke fans more often.

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, coalman said:

They warned us about Mark Hughes too. I hate to say this but maybe we should listen to Stoke fans more often.

To be fair, Hughes done the job he was brought into do, which was keep us up. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, trousers said:

One thing is clear, reading back through this thread, 20 days is a long time in football... this page being a case in point: https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/topic/59761-nathan-jones-out/page/41/

This was my favourite bit:

Nathan Jones reveals on Wednesday two players came to him during the game against City and shared concerns about going to a back five. He says it's "absolutely" a positive that the players can feel comfortable in offering their advice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rivers said:

This feels like a seismic moment.

Like a tidal wave that has been slowly building, has just crashed down, and there is that momentary, stunned pause, whilst taking in the magnitude of what has just happened, before catching our breath, and immediately springing into response mode.

We've just witnessed the total nuclear meltdown of Nathan Jones tonight, across multiple nationwide media outlets.

And I'm really not quite sure how to feel about it.

My opinions of the man and his catastrophic appointment are not exactly secret here. So on the one hand, his interviews are box office comedy gold. You just couldn't make up such a character as spikey old Mad Nate from the double 'ard mining villiage. He presents himself as the ultimate pantomine antagonist you love to hate, and tops it all off with such a charming lack of self awareness. He really is as dense as he comes across. Fully Verified. ☑️

On the other hand, there is something so fundementally disturbing, as seeing a man break down like that, right there in public view. You want to reach in and pull the poor fucker out.

The more he talks, the worse he makes it for himself. And yet he cannot stop digging. He lacks all semblance of basic personal self control.

And to think, we're led to believe, that we tracked this guy for over a year, and somehow came up with the super-clever idea that he'd be the right fit for us. Really SFC?

I would really like it, if this is the last time I have to waste another moment of my life, talking about Nathan Jones, so I'll try to make this summation as definitive and yet (hopefully) succinct as possible.

No one wanted him here. Obvious potential clusterfuck was obvious.

Sure, Lord Pony (who usually delights in belittling others with childish "cult" labels for supporting their manager) suddenly went all David Koresh, Branch Davidian on us, with regular amusing little forrays into this topic, establishing the First Church of Jones Daftees™️.

Though it was clear that the vast majority of us on here could immediately see what an absolute disaster appointing Jones was destined to be. You couldn't not see it.

But Rasmus Ankersen (and I really liked this guy at first) seems to be on some kind of personal quest to be at the cutting edge of revolutionalising the game. I like his sense of determination and self belief, it could be a great asset to us, if he can only take himself out of the way, and not get lost in believing his own hype and self publicity. Innovation needs to be tempered by experience and responsibility. It is one thing spotting the next up and coming whippersnappers for the future to invest in, but another thing entirely to so recklessly gamble our Club's future in this perillous position, by taking another punt on some extremely limited lower league manager, with his limited lower league football, and limited tactical accumen.

We all know how that has turned out for us.

From the moment Nathan Jones and his little training whistle breezed into Staplewood, he's been a walking calamity.

Unnecessarily putting people's noses out of joint. From word go, he has carried around an air of cantancerousness. Ruffling feathers. Generally coming across as a pointlessly abrasive bellend. Full of hot air and bluster, and an apparent level of self-delusion which only thinly veils an inherrently insecure man underneath.

A man who if he didn't already know full well he was utterly out of his depth before taking the job, sure wasted no time in finding out.

Things were bad at the end with Ralph, but Jones somehow spent his winter preseason contriving to make us inconceivably worse!

And then it went downhill from there.

We scraped by against limited lower league opposition in a couple of cups, managing to look woeful against Lincoln City, and making Championship strugglers Blackpool look like the top flight side for much of the second half. That, and a freak upturn in fortunes against Man City, stretched a temporary piece of clingfilm over the gaping chasm of the abysmal standard of "football" being served up for us, and Jones farcical lack of tactical prowess, or at times seemingly not even the most fundemental basic understandings. This and the small extra awkward detail of losing every single league game under his tenure, bar one.

Through all this, we have to endure the constant undercurrent of his ridiculous antagonising of the Club's own fanbase with his passive-aggressive pressers and aftermatch interviews. In the end he was just coming accross as such a nasty and bitter chap, that he became a caricature of himself. Not content with a single chip on his shoulder, he ordered an extra-large portion of them, complete with two jumbo battered sausages, and a soggy pea fritter.

Wise man once said, man in large hole should stop digging. But Nathan Jones just can't help himself.

Which brings us to today. And his mindboggling media display.

He has gone way too far this time. Totally off the reservation.

Such was the trainwreck levels of his performances on Saturday evening, both on and off the pitch, he has effectively rendered his position untenable.

If SR were hoping to keep all this simmering undercurrent of discontent quietly beneath the rug for as long as possible and buy themselves some time. then good old Mad Nate has totally pulled that rug out from under them tonight. That and the fantastic job those of you who travelled up to Brentford did in making our feelings known, has now brought this festering boil of Nathan Jones Management of our Club up to the point where I don't see how SR now have any choice other than to lance it.

His actions are now bringing the Club into disrepute, and the time has surely come for the inevitable parting of ways. SR's reputation itself is at state, if they dither and do nothing. He is the "public face" of our once proud Club for fuck sake. And he is making us an absolute laughingstock.

Time for a positive action from the Club. It is still not too late to own their mistake, and try to salvage something from what's left of the season. It would sure generate a lot of goodwill from the fanbase if they do. And give us a place from which to start building new bridges.

Mad Nate has just given us the perfect get out clause. Time to pull the plug.

We thank Mr. Jones for all his hard work and eccentricities, but in light of his recent comments in the media following a series of unacceptable results and behaviour, we have no choice but to terminate his contract, effective immediately. We all wish Mad Nate the very best for the future, at whatever club or asylum is prepared to take on his heavy mental and emotional baggage.

Southampton Football Club are now looking for an experienced quality Manager, capable of performing more than adequately in the Top Flight of English Football, with a proven track record for playing attractive attacking football.. Championship level managers need not apply.

Fucking hell mate if that's you trying to be succinct I'd hate to have to listen to you embellish a story.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

honestly think any manager would do a better job at the moment. His complete lack accountability means he’s going to continue to throw anyone and everyone under the bus until he finally chucks Rasmus under. It’ll be at that point that Rasmus pulls the trigger. Egos running the club. It’s so clear to everyone that NJ isn’t working and it’s not going to work either. Even if he had the tools to turn it around, the rot has set in. He’d need to work doubly hard to turn it around. The guy doesn’t have the emotional nous to do it. It’s gone beyond should he go, he absolutely has to go. Let’s face it, we’re going down anyway but we can’t have this doom merchant steering the ship to the abyss. Bring someone in who can give the players and the fans something to be positive about. Not even joking, in the words of that Manc, give it Prowsey until the end of the season. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, trousers said:

One thing is clear, reading back through this thread, 20 days is a long time in football... this page being a case in point: https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/topic/59761-nathan-jones-out/page/41/

This one is particularly intriguing....

On 14/01/2023 at 18:00, Weston Saint said:

Nathan Jones reveals on Wednesday two players came to him during the game against City and shared concerns about going to a back five. He says it's "absolutely" a positive that the players can feel comfortable in offering their advice.

Looks like it's no longer a positive that Premier League players with way more experience in the PL than him should offer their advice, what with him no longer pandering to anyone else.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Like I said yesterday on here that Jones is Ankerson’s puppet and this was why he employed him.

Maybe just maybe the last saving grace for us is that Jones does it his way and tells Wankerson to fuck off!

In Ankersen's head this is like the bit in Moneyball where the team starts doing what Brad Pitt asks and suddenly starts winning. Just have to have the doubters give up and stop questioning.

I've now accepted that corporal fucking Jones isn't going anywhere.  He won't be sacked and he won't be replaced and we WILL be relegated.

Not only is that acceptance very liberating, I'm now looking forward to all the pre and post match press conferences.  I suspect that they are only going to get more rabid than last night's efforts, so the comedy value is going to be my entertainment for the rest of the season - as sure as hell the football won't be!

10 hours ago, RedArmy said:

The same formation that was forced upon Ralph in pre season and promptly dumped as soon as possible. 

Somebody within the club is pushing this formation and they need to fuck off. 

Is it Ankerson due to it being so successful with Brentford? 

Tedesco is exactly the kind of manager we should have gone for (basically a similar level to Hasenhuttl when we appointed him).

Too late now, he's taken over from Martinez at Belgium (I would think easily on less money than we could pay him).

But no, Sport Republic are much cleverer than us plebs.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I've now accepted that corporal fucking Jones isn't going anywhere.  He won't be sacked and he won't be replaced and we WILL be relegated.

Not only is that acceptance very liberating, I'm now looking forward to all the pre and post match press conferences.  I suspect that they are only going to get more rabid than last night's efforts, so the comedy value is going to be my entertainment for the rest of the season - as sure as hell the football won't be!

Don't give up, you can still make a difference, phone the club and say he touched you inappropriately in Waitrose.

• Haha 6

12 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I'd offer the job to either Bielsa or Tedesco and say that even if they don't keep us up they'll get next season to bring us back up. 

Might have more chance them coming if we just offer them a 4 month contract with a big bonus to keep us up. Review in the summer.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, CB Fry said:

Tedesco is exactly the kind of manager we should have gone for (basically a similar level to Hasenhuttl when we appointed him).

Too late now, he's taken over from Martinez at Belgium (I would think easily on less money than we could pay him).

But no, Sport Republic are much cleverer than us plebs.

Bollocks. Didn't realise he'd gone there. 

1 minute ago, Saint Garrett said:

Might have more chance them coming if we just offer them a 4 month contract with a big bonus to keep us up. Review in the summer.

Do you think there’s any chance he will be hacked mate?

I think the reason SR hired him keeps coming up in the conferences. He had stats that looked good without spending much money - he keeps banging on about this. Unfortunately, his stats only looked good at one club, teams improved after he left them and the Premier League is not league one or the championship.

Somehow they failed to do basic due diligence like evaluating his communication skills or leadership ability. Hint - someone who picks a fight with anyone who disagrees with them and contradicts themselves from one sentence to the next may not be who you're looking for.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bearsy said:

I'm all for Siege Mentality. It worked for Mourinho, it worked for Ferguson. But when you're building siege walls, Nathan, you don't want to be the only one inside.

That's not a castle. It's a coffin.

Welcome back Bearsy. Your profound wisdom in these matters is always welcome 🙏 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

100%. Dont get me wrong, Ralph was let down badly in the summer. But we should have making a change of manager at that point, not prolonging the agony. He was a broken man by the end of last season

A hell of a lot of us have been saying this for all of that time but the Ralph love in brigade wouldn’t hear of it. See need to bite the bullet and get rid again now. It’s a big mistake but yesterday’s comments compound huge error and his absurd appointment when Dyche should have been the man. Which was another unpopular suggestion on here because of his style or something. Which was also patently bullshit. 

• Like 1

NJ has surely managed to burn any bridges, boats or any other flammable objects now. The only thing left is our football club.

I was naive enough to believe in giving the guy a chance but last night's behaviour brought the house down. That's just a sackable offence. Get rid today and pray that someone can give us a chance for the rest of this miserable season.

7 hours ago, Dirkdiggler said:

All out of work and could do better than Jones (well sort from Gerrard)

FA2A702C-3E02-473C-BE21-EDEDEC33606C.jpeg

I wanted Biesla when Hassenhutl was sacked, want him now, but he’s likely too big a personality in the game for Ankersen. I think Biesla is a perfect fit for our model but feel that this board are too cowardly to even make the approach. Tedesco and Bosz would also be excellent appointments last November but would they come now? Lage to work with Selles might work and be possible, providing a bit of cohesion in terms of a Portugese duo with something to prove. All on this list are far superior to what we currently have, and I hope to fuck that Ankersen doesn’t try anything left field when we break from his current joker in the next 24 hours. 

1 minute ago, Miltonaggro said:

I wanted Biesla when Hassenhutl was sacked, want him now, but he’s likely too big a personality in the game for Ankersen. I think Biesla is a perfect fit for our model but feel that this board are too cowardly to even make the approach. Tedesco and Bosz would also be excellent appointments last November but would they come now? Lage to work with Selles might work and be possible, providing a bit of cohesion in terms of a Portugese duo with something to prove. All on this list are far superior to what we currently have, and I hope to fuck that Ankersen doesn’t try anything left field when we break from his current joker in the next 24 hours. 

Have you heard something re the 24 hours bit? Please say yes. Bielsa for me too but can’t see him coming. 

Today is going to be a ‘refresh page’ day until it happens. Come on SR. It’s untenable. Don’t patronise us more by sticking with him as if you know best, and use the 9-0s as some kind of evidence. Cut him free now to live with his Bree forever under a bridge in a valley

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, DT said:

Have you heard something re the 24 hours bit? Please say yes. Bielsa for me too but can’t see him coming. 

I think Bielsa would indicate that the board has conceded that we're going to be relegated. I don't see them doing that any time soon. Which also, sadly, probably protects Jones for a another couple of weeks.

4 minutes ago, DT said:

Nothing concrete apart from ‘conversations’ being had at SMS last night and due again this morning. If he’s still here Monday morning the Board have failed the supporters.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Was hoping to wake up to news that he has been relieved of his duties, but alas not.

Being a Saints fan these days is just a constant cycle of disappointment isn't it.

I don’t think disappointment covers it really, it’s more like the stages of processing grief or trauma, I have just moved from the denial phase to acceptance 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Miltonaggro said:

Nothing concrete apart from ‘conversations’ being had at SMS last night and due again this morning. If he’s still here Monday morning the Board have failed the supporters.

I honestly can't see how they can stick with him. If you can't trust the guy running the team to speak in public then you have a problem.

Not to mention, the interview(s) yesterday hinted at someone who is on the edge of a breakdown and the kindest thing would be to put him out of his misery before something bad happens.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DT said:

Today is going to be a ‘refresh page’ day until it happens. Come on SR. It’s untenable. Don’t patronise us more by sticking with him as if you know best, and use the 9-0s as some kind of evidence. Cut him free now to live with his Bree forever under a bridge in a valley

Other than his association with Jones, what has Bree done to attract this level of hostility?

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Thanks. I’m clinging to the notion that the fans meeting at least provides an impetus. My guess is he will be gone by Monday evening. If not we need some sort of collective action. Everton seemed to manage it. Why not us?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Other than his association with Jones, what has Bree done to attract this level of hostility?

Ok sorry. Bit harsh. Just looks like getting his mate in to provide a security blanket. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, coalman said:

I honestly can't see how they can stick with him. If you can't trust the guy running the team to speak in public then you have a problem.

Not to mention, the interview(s) yesterday hinted at someone who is on the edge of a breakdown and the kindest thing would be to put him out of his misery before something bad happens.

Yes. He needs help. 

4 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

They were never going to announce it before meeting about it and then informing him. Later today there will be an announcement I'm sure of it.

Agreed. I think he'll be gone before tomorrow. Even the imbeciles running our club must now accept that they've got it wrong. If they don't, and don't act, it's their ego and pride that'll put the nail on our coffin. 

Selles, Horseman, and JWP as caretakers would be better than the pile of shite we've got now. 

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Jones
  • AlexLaw76 changed the title to Nathan Jones - Sacked (Official)!