Saints Kits Season 2023/24

Master Bates

19 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

I always wish they would get the shirts released and out early so you can wear them all through the summer .. having them not out until august makes it lose some appeal to me 

Swear they used to do this. Used to wear the brand new shirts out at Winchester hat fair when I was younger. (First weekend in July.)

• Haha 1

We (and most clubs at the time) would often wear next seasons kit on the final game of the season in the mid to late 90's. I seem to remember some sort of rule the Premier League introduced that stopped it though. A good example of this would be the final game at the Dell, where we wore the kit for the first season at St Mary's.

• Like 3

I have no objection to a red kit and my first regular season as a kid was watching them play in one back in 86.

I didnt like the cortese adidas red kit as the red was too light and the gold lettering didnt work visually.

Incidentally on a sponsor note from the past has 'veho' gone bust ?

1 hour ago, edprice1984 said:

We (and most clubs at the time) would often wear next seasons kit on the final game of the season in the mid to late 90's. I seem to remember some sort of rule the Premier League introduced that stopped it though. A good example of this would be the final game at the Dell, where we wore the kit for the first season at St Mary's.

everton and leicester still do this I believe

13 hours ago, Kenilworthy said:

It was first worn away to West Brom in September 1980. At the time we had to have two versions of every kit, one with a sponsor and one without as any game on TV, even short highlights, could not show shirts with sponsors.

12 hours ago, Turkish said:

that's interesting, i didn't know that. How times have changed, when did that rule change?

About that time (late 70’s/1980) Coventry were sponsored by Talbot Cars and the strip was designed to incorporate their logo. After a high profile fall out they had to have a different kit for TV.

I think they also considered a name change to Coventry Talbot but that was also vetoed. 

This seasons kit wouldn’t have been so bad if it’d had red under the arms too à la 99/01.

I don’t know what’s wrong with the clowns on our commercial team but if they came up with a simple tidy red and white striped kit, without a plain back, and released it at the end of May so it’s available all summer they’d sell thousands of the things. 

Edited by bpsaint
  • Like 5

31 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

This seasons kit wouldn’t have been so bad if it’d had red under the arms too à la 99/01.

I don’t know what’s wrong with the clowns on our commercial team but if they came up with a simple tidy red and white striped kit, without a plain back, and released it at the end of May so it’s available all summer they’d sell thousands of the things. 

I thought this year's home kit was okay. Then someone added the red side panel, and it was much better.

Between logos falling off, delays and suppliers going bust, that dept has looked a bit rubbish in recent times, not always of their own doing.

On 26/03/2023 at 20:58, Turkish said:

Anyone remember this kit? Before the days of official 3rd kits and changing every season. This must have been c83/84 red and white home kit, light blue and dark blue away kit. IIRC we wore this 3 times away to Blackburn and Sheffield Wednesday in the FA Cup and this picture looks like away to QPR on their plastic pitch as the other teams wore blue and white shirts 

3F583682-80F4-42A6-84B8-CDDE451A8DCB.jpeg

We had a third kit that was similar a few years ago but it had white pin stripes down the middle, with black shorts and red socks. Sack of the light and dark red and just had it one colour with pinstripes, that would be nice.

1CEC5DCE-E6BC-43F1-9183-26C42B05BA31.jpeg

4 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Pretty sure they used to wear the next seasons kits at the final home game of the season.

Wasn't that interrupted last year by the ongoing post covid logistic issues and the intermediary falling into administration? (Apparently they were owed £10M by Rangers when they went bust as well 👀). You'd like to think it will be back this season? 

Edited by Saint86

5 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

We had a third kit that was similar a few years ago but it had white pin stripes down the middle, with black shorts and red socks. Sack of the light and dark red and just had it one colour with pinstripes, that would be nice.

1CEC5DCE-E6BC-43F1-9183-26C42B05BA31.jpeg

Agree to disagree, it would end up looking like the 2012-13 kit which was crap.

D5043-E45-B579-41-EB-B908-F6-A74-A695034

• Like 1

On 27/03/2023 at 13:39, Colinjb said:

Swear they used to do this. Used to wear the brand new shirts out at Winchester hat fair when I was younger. (First weekend in July.)

there's a fair, just for hats, in Winchester? I live and learn.

40 minutes ago, Maggie May said:

Our best shirt of the second Prem era, IMO.

Hmmm. I liked the white version, which looks `clean' and the logo fractionally less tacky. 

Was it just me or did anyone else think the pinstripe looked like it had been misprinted/badly lined up? 

Not having a gap between the ends of the Umbro diamond and the pinstripes showed just how little thought and care had gone into this kit. 

18 hours ago, bpsaint said:

Absolutely… it can’t be that difficult surely???

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I’m sure it’ll be drop fed pathetically on social media….

Fully announced a week before the season starts…

The badges will fall off and everyone will be eligible for a refund or exchange until October…

And that’ll probably just be the home shirt.

Nope, Hummel have just opened a new factory in Khartoum and they’re planning to start churning out our shirts next month.

• 4 weeks later...

It just needs to have a lot of red again, stripes too.

Lots saying that stripes are coming back but I think it’s more wishful thinking than concrete rumours.

This years kit has to be one of the worst in the clubs history. No thought, logic or detail to it. It looks like it was created on Microsoft Paint.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 10/01/2023 at 06:21, alehouseboys said:

After a mixture of initially the sash in 1885, then right and white quarters and next red and white halves we changed to stripes to go with the blue shorts and socks in 1896 and that was to become the traditional kit until the 50s. The kit doesn't overly bother me, not crazy on stripes but every other season seems OK to me but maybe time for a blast from the past.

spacer.png

This one gets brought up every year every year I pray we get it. It would put us apart from the other red/white stripe teams at least.

• Like 4

On 11/05/2023 at 13:34, FarehamSaintJames said:

It just needs to have a lot of red again, stripes too.

Lots saying that stripes are coming back but I think it’s more wishful thinking than concrete rumours.

This years kit has to be one of the worst in the clubs history. No thought, logic or detail to it. It looks like it was created on Microsoft Paint.

it looks like the players have a red bib on.  

• Like 1