Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

2 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I know there haven't been many links in the media but I don't know why people think KWP will stay. He's way too good for this league and will surely be snapped up by someone

I'm sure there are people interested in KWP (he's under contract, so really i see zero reason we should let him get snapped up now, given we've lost Livramento and we could still sell him for a fair amount next summer if needed). 

Never good to lose talented players like JWP, but still having three weeks left of the window is handy, tapered by the fact we don't have JWP enhancing our side for the forthcoming championship games...

There are thousands of unbelievable players out there. I don’t think we need to keep regurgitating the same players that seem to be on the same roundabout over and over again. 

These include ours and other teams players. 

Biggest question is, and I genuinely really don’t know anymore, is how good our scouting network is and our long term list of players across all the leagues. Pro or Semi Pro. 

17 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Why?

For lots of reasons, he played quite well for them when given a chance, it was his first season so you'd think they'd see how he progresses this, they need squad players, he wants to play in the Prem, he wants to be at West ham... 

...if they really don't fancy him, why wouldn't they seak a permanent sale rather than a loan? He's not a nipper that needs champ experience.

Edited by Chez

5 minutes ago, Chez said:

For lots of reasons, he played quite well for them when given a chance, it was his first season so you'd think they'd see how he progresses this, they need squad players, he wants to play in the Prem, he wants to be at West ham... 

...if they really don't fancy him, why wouldn't they speak a permanent sale rather than a loan? He's not a nipper that needs champ experience.

I'm guessing we wouldn't agree to the sale at the stated price without getting downes for a year.  In that case if JWP is West Ham's top target it's better to bring him in and lose a squad player than just have the squad player on the books

3 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

I'm guessing we wouldn't agree to the sale at the stated price without getting downes for a year.  In that case if JWP is West Ham's top target it's better to bring him in and lose a squad player than just have the squad player on the books

Not sure I understand what you are saying. 

14 minutes ago, Chez said:

...if they really don't fancy him, why wouldn't they speak a permanent sale rather than a loan? He's not a nipper that needs champ experience.

If they’re replacing Rice with 2 players, then the writing is on the wall.  Good move for him if he comes here. Options open next summer too. 

• Like 1

Just now, Lord Duckhunter said:

Why are people getting their knickers in a twist about Smallbone possibly going. If he wants to go, he can fuck off. Fuck me if we can’t replace him, we really are in trouble. 

Never really rated him to be honest. Moving to Sheffield Utd is hardly a great career move anyway. Will be back in the Championship next season.

10 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

If they’re replacing Rice with 2 players, then the writing is on the wall.  Good move for him if he comes here. Options open next summer too. 

Fair point, unless they are losing another midfielder this summer.

1 hour ago, miserableoldgit said:

Whilst I am disappointed to see JWP go....I was hoping that he would stay around and be another MLT....we have been saying since last season that certain players will be leaving....and they are. We shouldn't be surprised. RM has already said that we have targets lined up to come in and that our team at the end of the transfer window will look a lot different to the current team. We are obviously going to have good spending power.  We have to be patient I guess......

Having money to spend in the championship doesn't mean alot. Any half decent player doesn't wanna be in this league.

We just have to hope we can outbid Leicester and Leeds for the crap players willing to come here. 

10 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Why are people getting their knickers in a twist about Smallbone possibly going. If he wants to go, he can fuck off. Fuck me if we can’t replace him, we really are in trouble. 

Don't think they are, are they? 

I haven't been a fan as yet (not seen him this season), but he will still need replacing should he go. 

Prowse yes he was a good club servant and capable of impeccable free kicks but let's not get carried away. 

Was never captain material in my eyes he didn't have the presence and strong mentality needed when under the cosh....

I actually think he played best under Jones like giving more freedom to attack otherwise he just plays boring sidewards, recycle the ball crab football.... 

30 million a good price ? I'd take it as long as we have some new blood coming in which I'm sure we will... 

If Prowse was that good then why didn't the big clubs come in? 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

WE knew we would lose players and as RM says, the squad is too big, needs a lot of thinning. The trouble is obvious--we are losing the guys most likely to get us back and are stuck with people  like last night's shambles. RM may say their future is not here, but we are saddled.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Never really rated him to be honest. Moving to Sheffield Utd is hardly a great career move anyway. Will be back in the Championship next season.

Hopefully we can sell our entire centre midfield first squad save for the youngsters and leave it to SR to recruit - what could possibly go wrong….

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Dellman said:

WE knew we would lose players and as RM says, the squad is too big, needs a lot of thinning. The trouble is obvious--we are losing the guys most likely to get us back and are stuck with people  like last night's shambles. RM may say their future is not here, but we are saddled.

I think he was more saying that the senior players that didn’t turn up would not be getting a game again in his team. Pretty bold statement when as you say they’ll be hanging around stinking the place out and there’s not much to be done about it.

18 minutes ago, Galway saint said:

Hopefully we can sell our entire centre midfield first squad save for the youngsters and leave it to SR to recruit - what could possibly go wrong….

You think Smallbone is good enough? Fair enough if you do. Haven't seen him do much at all really. Watched a bit of Stoke last year, he hardly pulled up any trees 

• Confused 2

41 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Stoke were keen to keep him as he was a very good player at this level. Looked impressive against Wednesday too. We've enough holes to fill without selling the players suited to this league and that's before you get into the challenge of identifying good players willing to play at this level and prying them out of club's that don't want to sell them.

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, Streaky said:

Having money to spend in the championship doesn't mean alot. Any half decent player doesn't wanna be in this league.

We just have to hope we can outbid Leicester and Leeds for the crap players willing to come here. 

We really should be looking to buy the best of all the other teams in this division. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

You can ridicule me as well if you like. I thought he would stay too. Just if it makes you feel better 

I do not want to ridicule but ask you why a top class international player would not want to play in possibly the best league in the World iin 50K stadia nstead of playing at places like Rotherham Blackburn and Middlesboro

10 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

You think Smallbone is good enough? Fair enough if you do. Haven't seen him do much at all really. Watched a bit of Stoke last year, he hardly pulled up any trees 

He’s ok not great. I was more questioning any decision to sell our entire senior centre midfield players with a few weeks to go in the transfer window  and the ability of SR to recruit decent replacements. We still feel like a club that doesn’t really have a plan 

• Like 1

This could be a wild end to the window then.

Feels likes there’s an element of when we lost Lallana, Lambert, Shaw, Lovren (at the time) back in 2014.
A lot of big names and heartbeats of the club moved on and a few key ones were made to stick around (Schneiderlin).

It’ll be interesting to see how we reset now. I’m just hoping it’s not with more kids, we need a bit of experience in there.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Feels likes there’s an element of when we lost Lallana, Lambert, Shaw, Lovren (at the time) back in 2014.
A lot of big names and heartbeats of the club moved on and a few key ones were made to stick around (Schneiderlin).

It’ll be interesting to see how we reset now. I’m just hoping it’s not with more kids, we need a bit of experience in there.

Has RM not said that we have enough young players?

I expect the main signings we make in the next few weeks to at least be Championship savvy.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

We really should be looking to buy the best of all the other teams in this division. 

The reality is those either want to go to the prem themselves or their club's are going to be doing their best to resist selling them. So last thing I want to see is more desperate last minute garbage because we've been so weak we leave ourselves even more full of holes to fill.

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I suspect SR will be chasing the next Tinos/Lavias in the main.

REALLY hope we get some proven guys in too though: Grimes, Piroe types.

It certainly won't be a dull few weeks before the glass thingy gently closes.

• Like 2

Keep Smallbone, play Charles, Smallbone at DM/CM and Alcatraz or Aribo AM. Buy a experienced proven CM/DM to compete(maby 2). Stephens, Bednarek is a decent Championship central defence, Swap one of those with ABK when he's fit(or buy a new CD if he leaves), need another CD to replace Lyanco.

I still think Adams, Armstrong will start scoring goals,but i still want to try to loan out Mara and buy another striker. 

Wingers and fullbacks we have if KWP stays. 

So 1-2 CD, 2 CM and a striker.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

The reality is those either want to go to the prem themselves or their club's are going to be doing their best to resist selling them. So last thing I want to see is more desperate last minute garbage because we've been so weak we leave ourselves even more full of holes to fill.

Of course the clubs will resist sling them but we have financialuscle to effectively bully them. The time is now to be ruthless in the market. Fans have done their bit with season ticket sales and support, time for the club to prove their new regime is decent. 

• Like 2

There are some teams that have had an appalling window and done horrendous business so far.

Sheffield United have lost a lot and not replaced them.
Leeds haven’t really sold any of their players but all have been loaned out, think this was a VO (DoF decision), over £200M worth of transfer business has been shunted on and not replaced. Now getting pipped to signings by arguably lesser teams (Bournemouth).
Wolves have lost a few and their manager is now going three days before the season starts. No replacements due to FFP.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, John B said:

I do not want to ridicule but ask you why a top class international player would not want to play in possibly the best league in the World iin 50K stadia nstead of playing at places like Rotherham Blackburn and Middlesboro

I guess I thought he might shown us a little something given that he has been with us since he was 8. He wasn't just any player, he was club captain and general poster boy. Not sure I would call him a international player anymore. He's not making an England squad again.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

There are some teams that have had an appalling window and done horrendous business so far.

Sheffield United have lost a lot and not replaced them.
Leeds haven’t really sold any of their players but all have been loaned out, think this was a VO (DoF decision), over £200M worth of transfer business has been shunted on and not replaced. Now getting pipped to signings by arguably lesser teams (Bournemouth).
Wolves have lost a few and their manager is now going three days before the season starts. No replacements due to FFP.

The lower end PL teams look really weak this season. Shame we won't be there, but finishing above Luton and Sheff Utd shouldn't be too much of an issue. Then it'll be a scrap for the final place.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Of course the clubs will resist sling them but we have financialuscle to effectively bully them. The time is now to be ruthless in the market. Fans have done their bit with season ticket sales and support, time for the club to prove their new regime is decent. 

Pretty unrealistic. I certainly don't remember championship clubs trying to get promoted rolling over and selling best players regularly in august to other champ teams. We may be able to raid the weaker sides like Swansea but most of them won't have the good players.

If we do sell a load of our first xi, i'll Be curious to see how many of their current week 1 first xi's Leeds and Leicester will be shipping out for comparison.

6 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Pretty unrealistic. I certainly don't remember championship clubs trying to get promoted rolling over and selling best players regularly in august to other champ teams. We may be able to raid the weaker sides like Swansea but most of them won't have the good players.

If we do sell a load of our first xi, i'll Be curious to see how many of their current week 1 first xi's Leeds and Leicester will be shipping out for comparison.

Our fiabnaces are better than every other team in the division. We should be able to blow the majority out of the water, certainly the ones without parachute payments. I'd be looking at Coventry and Middlesborough for certain. Swansea too. 

• Like 1