Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

38 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

The responses to this news on here.... 

You've had more than two months to prepare for this lads, and you're still shitting the bed.

Jesus wept.

The bed shitting will kick in when the decent players are sold,time runs out on getting replacements and we're left with the team that was fielded last night.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Exactly. Lose on Saturday with the squad down to the bare bones in places and there's going to be real grumblings at the fans forum next week. I really do feel that this is the very worst time to lose some of the positivity from last week. A win on Saturday is so important. 

I'm not ITK or anything but I'd be very surprised if we went into that forum without a new signing or two having been announced, especially if we don't get a good result on Saturday, from a PR point of view anyway. And not someone like Joe Lumley!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

I'm not ITK or anything but I'd be very surprised if we went into that forum without a new signing or two having been announced, especially if we don't get a good result on Saturday, from a PR point of view anyway. And not someone like Joe Lumley!

Well they won't have long to get then in before Tuesday! I thought they wouldn't have had the last forum with Jones still employed but they did... 

1 hour ago, LGTL said:

We can absolutely blow any other Championship team out of the water financially. Anything other then promotion is another pathetic failure by SR, make no mistake. 

So many people on here are underestimating the size of the turnaround job that's needed. We've been one of the worst performing clubs IN THE COUNTRY for the best part of TWO YEARS now. And like it or not, we're now trying to reverse that decline by overhauling EVERYTHING - how the team plays, how we coach, how the business is operated. That's not a quick job. Immediate promotion can be hoped for, yes, but it's just not realistic to demand it outright.

And honestly, I've had no emotional reaction to JWP leaving. Mostly because I've been ready for it since the 2-0 home loss to Brentford in mid-March, but also because he really isn't what a lot of folk are making him out to be. Was he the best we currently have? Yep. Is he a club legend? After 20 years of service and watching him develop into possibly the best free kick taker in the world, without a doubt! Is he in reality anything more than a mid table Premier League player? No. A top pro, and an amazing athlete, but also quite a limited player, all in all.

West Ham and £30m sounds about right. I absolutely wish him the best and hope he goes on to achieve things that would not have been possible for him at Saints. Which gives him plenty of scope, let's be honest...

Edited by Ralph Fastenbüttl
  • Like 22
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Sfcphilc said:

£27m guaranteed + £3m performance based add ons for JWP. 

I think it seems low as we've got more for Tino and will also for Lavia. 

I don't think it's realistically too far off his true value. Maybe a case to say £35m. 

Lets not dress it up as anything but that being a shit deal for us, when you consider what we asked for, his contract length and what he was worth to us. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

50 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

The responses to this news on here.... 

You've had more than two months to prepare for this lads, and you're still shitting the bed.

Jesus wept.

i'm not arsed about JWP leaving, the deal isn't great imo, but I'm bloody pissed off abot missing out on Aarons! Feels like that one could have been wrapped up a long time ago.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

lucky dip sale? Dip into the bowl and pull out a ticket, whatever number is on the ticket is the additional discount you get on any of our sale items.

This makes good commercial sense. Raise it at the upcoming fans forum. Charlie Boss will be all over it, like a boss.

14 minutes ago, Dman said:

Lets not dress it up as anything but that being a shit deal for us, when you consider what we asked for, his contract length and what he was worth to us. 

I don't think it's that bad. Not many clubs are going to get £27m up front for a 29 year old this summer.

And I doubt we were ever planning to commit to JWP's salary as a relegated club which is £15m saved right off the bat.

• Like 5

The only people that know who the 4 players prepped to join us are Jason Wilcox, Darren Mowbray and Russell Martin. As Martin and Wilcox have said the team at the end of the window will be quite different from now. I remember Martin saying in his first interview the fans have to be patient it’s a long season. Clearly he hadn’t been briefed on the fact 50% of our fan base are negative and ignorant. I was talking to a season ticket holder and fanatical Saints fan. 
He was saying he didn’t know why he bothered to go any more.                                                                                                                                                                                              I mentioned SR his response was “ oh aren’t they the lot that are ripping us off “ I then mentioned Jason Wilcox and Darren Mowbray. He hadn’t heard of them. I gave up in the end.

• Like 5

Just now, manji said:

The only people that know who the 4 players prepped to join us are Jason Wilcox, Darren Mowbray and Russell Martin. As Martin and Wilcox have said the team at the end of the window will be quite different from now. I remember Martin saying in his first interview the fans have to be patient it’s a long season. Clearly he hadn’t been briefed on the fact 50% of our fan base are negative and ignorant. I was talking to a season ticket holder and fanatical Saints fan. 
He was saying he didn’t know why he bothered to go any more.                                                                                                                                                                                              I mentioned SR his response was “ oh aren’t they the lot that are ripping us off “ I then mentioned Jason Wilcox and Darren Mowbray. He hadn’t heard of them. I gave up in the end.

yeah, thats not a good thing....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I don't think it's that bad. Not many clubs are going to get £27m up front for a 29 year old this summer.

And I doubt we were ever planning to commit to JWP's salary as a relegated club which is £15m saved right off the bat.

Part of me kind of thought that is why we might keep him, to be fair. Anyway, I think Downes and Grimes would be a decent replacement for Lavia and JWP - At this level anyway. 

• Like 3

Swansea loaning a centre midfielder from Arsenal and sounds like a quick turnaround from Fabrizio's original tweet.

They already have Grimes, Fulton, Allen, Walsh and a promising youngster in Congreve.

6 midfielders seems a bit heavy, we can hope Wilcox has sprung into action

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint Scott said:

Swansea loaning a centre midfielder from Arsenal and sounds like a quick turnaround from Fabrizio's original tweet.

They already have Grimes, Fulton, Allen, Walsh and a promising youngster in Congreve.

Fall Satisfying GIF by Millions

make of that what you will

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Saint Scott said:

Patino is a good player FWIW - We're a little stocked in the attacking CM area (Alcaraz and Stu), but he'll do well at swansea. 

• Like 1

I think 30m is a fair deal. We maybe could have held out for 35m on deadline day, but we were never getting 40m for a 29yo just relegated. I think there is a bit of leeway with JWP in terms of us wanting to max our return from sales, as opposed to say Lavia. JWP has given us great service and if a deal comes up that is just short of what we want, then I'm sure the powers that be were happy to accept.

In needs reinvested now. I see that Swansea are about to sign Charlie Patino on loan from Arsenal so I'm wondering if that will prompt any sales from them. Bringing in Downes and Grimes (and Charles) would be a sufficient return in letting JWP and Lavia leave. Badly need a striker or two - I dont think Adams will be here come September and I'm definitely not convinced Mara has 20+goals in him this season

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

Patino is a good player FWIW - We're a little stocked in the attacking CM area (Alcaraz and Stu), but he'll do well at swansea. 

very, very good young player. Classy, technically excellent, comes from a Futsal background like Archie Gray at Leeds. Only 19 but got a big future, will be a big season for him.

Paul Merson normally talks a load of shit but his comments about JWP were pretty fair. Merson dropped down to the Championship twice in his career and loved it.

JWP jas moved to a club who will finish in the lower half of the league, where he'll be a small fish in a big pond. 

He should have stayed put and helped get Saints back up. He's loved by the fans and has been at the club all his life.

Why stay and be a hero when you can be a bit part player for a poor Premiership team?

Personally I think he's made a poor move. 

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

Paul Merson normally talks a load of shit but his comments about JWP were pretty fair. Merson dropped down to the Championship twice in his career and loved it.

JWP jas moved to a club who will finish in the lower half of the league, where he'll be a small fish in a big pond. 

He should have stayed put and helped get Saints back up. He's loved by the fans and has been at the club all his life.

Why stay and be a hero when you can be a bit part player for a poor Premiership team?

So he should have ignored the chance to play in the premier league, Europe for a bigger club and stayed with us because he's be popular in Southampton if he did?

Just now, Turkish said:

So he should have ignored the chance to play in the premier league, Europe for a bigger club and stayed with us because he's be popular in Southampton if he did?

The expectation that he'd have stayed is hard to fathom. He's a hired gun, and would obviously want the money and the bright lights of the PL and Europe. I suspect he realises that the England ship has probably sailed, but he strikes me as a determined bloke who'll keep trying for a spot. Fair play to the lad. 

• Like 2

I had a look at league one 

Aaron Collins seems like he did well last year. Could he be a second striker if we get a couple? 

Ricardo Santos - cb at Bolton looks like a powerful presence at the back. 

Conor hourihane- bring a bit of experience to the midfield? 

Still need a striker though. 

Whilst seemingly some of our fans are suprised that we are selling our best players despite both Russell Martin and Jason Wilcox telling us that this is exactly how it would play out, we can take comfort from the fact that presumably Russell Martin and Jason Wilcox are not taken by suprise that what they told us was likely to happen has actually happened.

They will have plans, they have been expecting this, they know as RM said after the Sheff Weds game that we will need to replace these players with starting XI signings.

Interesting that we actually had an offer accepted for Aarons even if he then chose initially Leeds (Farke reunion) and ultimately Bournemouth ahea of us. Suggests they know KWP will be going too as Aarons wouldnt stay in the Championship to be a sub.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

Can you not see the huge difference between the two players???

Merson was a huge addict for whom football was likely about having a good time and not getting in the way of his addictions. I’m not having a dig at him having addictions at all, it’s just that pushing himself to play at the highest level and achieve the most he could in the pitch, were likely not a priority for him. 

JWP (from what I can see) could not be more different. I’m sure he loves his family and plays a lot of golf, but he’s a consummate professional. For him I suspect footballing success is paramount and he does everything he can to be as good as he can. I can’t imagine he lets much get in his way and I can see how it would annoy him not being at the highest standard he reasonably could expect to be. 

Merson might’ve found it fun in a way that a lad playing with his pals below his natural level does on a Sunday, but I don’t think JWP is in it for a laugh. 

I’m disappointed he’s going and don’t actually think it will end up going too well there. I think they will struggle in the league again with Europa on a Thursday and I think the fans will be underwhelmed by him. That said, I fully understand him moving. Anyone who doesn’t is blinkered by our love of the club 

• Like 1

Prowsey is held in such high esteem to us emotionally invested fans simply because he hung around so long. We have had better talents come through our academy that jumped at the first opportunity to leave. We’ve also had players like Lallana who went on a journey with us before doing so. I love Prowsey, great servant, seems a very intelligent and decent bloke. 

As a player, he is world class at free kicks, has excellent stamina, keeps the balls well and is never injured. He really cared for the club. He is a little one paced and he did play a simple passing role for us mostly. I think his edge of the box finishing is pretty good and something we didn’t use regularly enough. 

£30m is probably about right, he’s worth more to us but that is his market value. Telling that bigger clubs weren’t interested in signing him. Think WHU is a team he should play regularly in, PL and Europa next season. Higher salary. Can’t blame him for not sticking around as much as I wanted and hoped he would. All the best, Captain.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Atlanta Saint said:

This comment is crazy. 

It all depends on the context, really.

Has he given more to the club than all but a select few in the last 35 years? Yes.

Does he scratch the surface of the top 5 players we've had in even the last 10 years? Not for me.

Edited by Saint Matty 76
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, WestMidSaint said:

Can you not see the huge difference between the two players???

Merson was a huge addict for whom football was likely about having a good time and not getting in the way of his addictions. I’m not having a dig at him having addictions at all, it’s just that pushing himself to play at the highest level and achieve the most he could in the pitch, were likely not a priority for him. 

JWP (from what I can see) could not be more different. I’m sure he loves his family and plays a lot of golf, but he’s a consummate professional. For him I suspect footballing success is paramount and he does everything he can to be as good as he can. I can’t imagine he lets much get in his way and I can see how it would annoy him not being at the highest standard he reasonably could expect to be. 

Merson might’ve found it fun in a way that a lad playing with his pals below his natural level does on a Sunday, but I don’t think JWP is in it for a laugh. 

I’m disappointed he’s going and don’t actually think it will end up going too well there. I think they will struggle in the league again with Europa on a Thursday and I think the fans will be underwhelmed by him. That said, I fully understand him moving. Anyone who doesn’t is blinkered by our love of the club 

I have a couple of mates who are West Ham and they are a bit underwhelmed with his signing. I get the feeling he isn't going to be too popular there, firstly because West Ham fans will be expecting more and they're quite a tough bunch to please and secondly because he isn't Declan Rice, it's always really hard replacing a fans favourite, we've seen it enough times ourselves to know. He'll be his usual self, consistent, hard working, score a few free kicks, set up a few but i fear a little for him that it wont be enough for a lot of their fans. 

• Like 9

20 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Prowsey is held in such high esteem to us emotionally invested fans simply because he hung around so long. We have had better talents come through our academy that jumped at the first opportunity to leave. We’ve also had players like Lallana who went on a journey with us before doing so. I love Prowsey, great servant, seems a very intelligent and decent bloke. 

As a player, he is world class at free kicks, has excellent stamina, keeps the balls well and is never injured. He really cared for the club. He is a little one paced and he did play a simple passing role for us mostly. I think his edge of the box finishing is pretty good and something we didn’t use regularly enough. 

£30m is probably about right, he’s worth more to us but that is his market value. Telling that bigger clubs weren’t interested in signing him. Think WHU is a team he should play regularly in, PL and Europa next season. Higher salary. Can’t blame him for not sticking around as much as I wanted and hoped he would. All the best, Captain.

Good summary. He's just too physically limited to appeal to any of the big clubs - doesn't have either the pace or the stature to impose himself on games, which is why we've been so easy to beat ever since he took over as one of our regular DMs. That and his age were always going to put a fairly low ceiling on his fee.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, egg said:

The expectation that he'd have stayed is hard to fathom. He's a hired gun, and would obviously want the money and the bright lights of the PL and Europe. I suspect he realises that the England ship has probably sailed, but he strikes me as a determined bloke who'll keep trying for a spot. Fair play to the lad. 

I reckon he still sees England as a possibility (though not a likelihood). It makes total sense to have one last tilt at it at a club with better players who he might be able flourish alongside. Playing in a major tournament for England is such an amazing thing that you've got to try rather than spend your life wondering - I know I'd be putting that above one-club legend status.

And even if we think he's not good enough, he'll believe in himself

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, manji said:

But you have a been a fan boy for SR a long time now and absolutely nothing so far to back it up - relegation and being embarrassed by a division 4 team apart (oh and  being ole'd by said div 4 side as they played triangles around us last night).  

Edited by Golac's Cunning Stunts
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, manji said:

Wheres the quotes for this? Was Aarons one of those supposed players?

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

I had a look at league one 

Aaron Collins seems like he did well last year. Could he be a second striker if we get a couple? 

Ricardo Santos - cb at Bolton looks like a powerful presence at the back. 

Conor hourihane- bring a bit of experience to the midfield? 

Still need a striker though. 

If they buy a CB from L1 it’ll be Ronnie Edwards, even if he sounds like one of the Kray’s associates.

Piroe would make sense if Swansea will settle for around £13-14m with a year left on his deal, like Downes will know the manager’s methods. Hourihane not a bad shout and has a good record at this level. 

3 minutes ago, Gloucester Saint said:

If they buy a CB from L1 it’ll be Ronnie Edwards, even if he sounds like one of the Kray’s associates.

Piroe would make sense if Swansea will settle for around £13-14m with a year left on his deal, like Downes will know the manager’s methods. Hourihane not a bad shout and has a good record at this level. 

Ronnie Edwards only 5 foot 11 whereas Santos is 6 foot 5. I really think we could do with some height at the back. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I have a couple of mates who are West Ham and they are a bit underwhelmed with his signing. I get the feeling he isn't going to be too popular there, firstly because West Ham fans will be expecting more and they're quite a tough bunch to please and secondly because he isn't Declan Rice, it's always really hard replacing a fans favourite, we've seen it enough times ourselves to know. He'll be his usual self, consistent, hard working, score a few free kicks, set up a few but i fear a little for him that it wont be enough for a lot of their fans. 

Agree, good point. Think he could well be an ‘Alan McLoughlin’ for them. 

• Like 1

Would much prefer him to go to Chelsea under Poch then Liverpool, although still think Liverpool will get him.

Chelsea could offer us a decent loan for a season to help too. They have enough players after all. 

expect this will get done one way or another by the weekend. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, St. Neil said:

Ah so that's why Chelsea restructured the % on the Livramento deal, so they could get Lavia a bit cheaper.

I thought that this morning when I heard it too.

Also, it's likely Saints and Chelsea have been in constant dialogue about Lavia and that's what enabled us to keep rejecting the scouse offers