Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

11 hours ago, kristian said:

Simeu was never that highly rated and was never bought by us to become a senior figure but rather plug a gap in our academy for a season at CB. Whereas Tino was always one of the standouts from u16 up to u21 at Chelsea and was expected to go onto become a PL player/international.

He made the bench for Chelsea against Bayern in the CL and also captained England at various youth levels. Story at the time was he rejected a new contract at Chelsea to move to Saints specifically under the guise of a fast track to men's football (as was the case with Tino)

Different level completely but also Tranmere fans were raving about him during his loan spell there last season, but still doesnt seem to be in RM's plans as of yet with Lyanco and even Charles ahead of him in the pecking order at CB.

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, The Juice said:

From my (albeit limited) experience, the slight issue with Thierry Small is that he is really not a very good player and this, in turn, has created a significant barrier to his doing overly well as a football player. 

He left Everton to join us as competetion for 1st team LB & has been far off the mark.

If he still ends up in the B team even in a championship club something has gone very wrong. Wasnt there even talk of Everton wanting 5 mil in compensation for him at the time of his signing? Not sure how that panned out eventually.

Just now, Convict Colony said:

How does the thread system work then ?

This is labelled as HOT at the moment but we've had about 20 posts since last night.

Full came in expecting a lot to of happened.

There were hundreds of other posts but the mods deleted them because they were off topic. Both of these will be gone soon.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Likely he will go somewhere like Palarse. Very good player

Like us, Palace don't play wing backs, so whether Spence is quite right for them and can be as successful as he was at Forrest, I am not sure.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ElTrinidad said:

He left Everton to join us as competetion for 1st team LB & has been far off the mark.

If he still ends up in the B team even in a championship club something has gone very wrong. Wasnt there even talk of Everton wanting 5 mil in compensation for him at the time of his signing? Not sure how that panned out eventually.

Yes. We may have forked out a small fortune for him. When Spurs tried to sign him from us for about a million (I might be wrong on that), we turned the offer down. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skintsaint said:

No point getting Spence unless we are offloading some more right sided players.

The article suggest that we might lose KWP to Arsenal to cover them after their new right back Julien Timber sustained a bad injury.

23 minutes ago, Chez said:

Yes. We may have forked out a small fortune for him. When Spurs tried to sign him from us for about a million (I might be wrong on that), we turned the offer down. 

Suggests theres a player in there somewhere...

I wonder if we'll ever get to see him

18 minutes ago, ElTrinidad said:

Suggests theres a player in there somewhere...

I wonder if we'll ever get to see him

For me, he still looks a little clumsy at full back. Kind of like a CB playing out there, a bit like Lyanco. Not horrible, but not brilliant either. He's a big strong lad, and there are ball skills, so maybe there is still time. Slightly disappointing he is not pushing for a spot and with him in his last year of his contract, he's going to have to play well if it he goes out on loan to get another contract. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, saintant said:

The article suggest that we might lose KWP to Arsenal to cover them after their new right back Julien Timber sustained a bad injury.

interesting that Timber (who is a CB that can play right back) was playing left back when he got injured and they brought on another right back to replace him in Tomiyasu. They perhaps could do with another left back, especially if Tierney should depart. They do have Zinchenko and Taveres already. Jakub Kiwior, a Polish international who they signed in January,  plays CB and left back too. They played Partey at right back, and have played White there a lot, so a right back might be needed too if they have zero faith in our mate Cedric. KWP's flexibility might be ideal, but they seem to have a lot of options, some better than others. Will they take to a Spurs old boy not called Campbell?  

11 minutes ago, OldNick said:

well it would be the place has been closed for over 5 years and is derelict

Indeed. Derrick Parker didn't do the best at cleaning his pipes. The rest followed.. 

The only pub where Sunday football teams, darts and pool teams/players had more people keen to be on driving duty than drinking. 

Edited by Yorkshire Saint
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Yorkshire Saint said:

Indeed. Derrick Parker didn't do the best at cleaning his pipes. The rest followed.. 

The only pub where Sunday football teams, darts and pool teams/players had more people keen to be on driving duty than drinking. 

Still empty, not sure if it has been sold now, but Imsure it could be made into a decent place, perhaps on a different theme

• Like 1

2 hours ago, saintant said:

Good - would like to see us lose all our decent players by the end of the window with a few random loans to replace them

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Galway saint said:

Good - would like to see us lose all our decent players by the end of the window with a few random loans to replace them

Got to say - and appreciate there are still two weeks left - I’d have liked to have seen us linked with a few more permanent players given we’re the best part of the way through selling our best players for massive fees. All well and good getting players on loan but just kicks the can down the road for another massive overhaul next summer. Had hoped there’d be a few more “hanging on to join us” as was alluded to earlier in the summer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, James said:

Got to say - and appreciate there are still two weeks left - I’d have liked to have seen us linked with a few more permanent players given we’re the best part of the way through selling our best players for massive fees. All well and good getting players on loan but just kicks the can down the road for another massive overhaul next summer. Had hoped there’d be a few more “hanging on to join us” as was alluded to earlier in the summer.

Agree, however worth noting that aside from Downes there has been very little firm mention of Charles, Manning (and Lumley) deals until they were very advanced.

Partly a non PL thing but also a good sign to be able to get things done without protracted media reports.

I am sure we are weighing up loads of things and clearly will have financial backing but our two big obstacles are 1.) Some incoming are clearly tied to outgoings and 2.) Some of the players we want probably have interest from lower PL teams and also Leicester and Leeds with whom we have historically shared transfer targets.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, James said:

Yup that was my thought 

Feels a bit underwhelming at the moment 

32 minutes ago, James said:

I didn't expect anything different to be honest. The bloated squad will be addressed by selling the better players and we will be left with the deadwood and some loans.

Prove me wrong Saints,but I'm not convinced.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Over the last few years the two PL clubs with stand out academies have been Man City & Chelsea. 

Wilcox ran the MC academy for 10 years, so will be fully connected up there. 

Meanwhile Joe Shields (our ex DF) is at Chelsea, plus Poch who we know still has a soft spot for Saints.

In the last ten days we have made £45m on Lavia & £27-£32m on Tino and both parent clubs made money on the deals. 

This surely puts us in the driving seat to receive the best available loanees & young players between now and September. I can well understand talented youngsters not necessarily wanting to commit to a Championship club if they see their future in the PL. But if they aren't going to get regular playing time then coming to Saints on loan for a year, with a good potential to get promoted is the next best option. Particularly if we get an option to buy included in the deal.

We know that the last week of the window usually gets frantic. Players will be brought in pushing others down the pecking order potentially raising their interest in Saints.

I'm sad that we only got to watch Tino & Lavia for a season each, but hopefully there are some more where they came from (and Shea Charles may be one of them) I'm still very optimistic.

Edited by Patches O Houlihan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, James said:

Why that hasn't happened was fully explained by the new CEO on Tuesday night. If you didn't go or watch suggest you run the vid.

KRC Genk ‘refuse to give up’ on a move for Southampton striker Paul Onuachu, who is keen on the return to his former club.

How many in this Genk team worth taking as they have little money to buy back outright.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/krc-genk/kader/verein/1184

Another bidding war/spat, Everton/Monaco?

French side AS Monaco table €25m to sign Southampton winger Kamaldeen Sulemana who is being chased by @Everton in the ongoing Summer transfer.

ABK NEWS:Borussia Dortmund’s financial constraints mean that they will not be able to spend the 20 million euros being demanded by Southampton.

Southampton are looking to sign Mason Holgate on loan from Everton, but there is a gap in the wages each club are willing to pay.

Arsenal could turn to Southampton defender Kyle Walker-Peters as a potential signing before the summer transfer deadline.

Southampton weighing up move for Newcastle United midfielder Isaac Hayden.

With good relations with Chelsea and Poch, how about a loan for Lewis Hall? 

Southampton have completed the impressive signing of Jamaican international attacker Atlanta Primus on a free transfer.

All 24 EFL Championship club's home atmosphere in order from worst to best (Ranked), we are ranked 8th best. 

Edited by BERMUDASAINT
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

ABK NEWS:Borussia Dortmund’s financial constraints mean that they will not be able to spend the 20 million euros being demanded by Southampton.

Ah yes, I guess only having that £115m from the Bellingham sale must be really difficult for them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Crouchie's Lawyer said:

Damn, there was me thinking “who is this Atlanta Primus we have signed and why have I not heard anything about him” only to find out it’s a girl, for the Saints women’s team!

Got my hopes up then!

So glad I read your post. I was about to Google 🙄🙄

I imagine it’ll be early next week that we’ll make some signings/a signing.

Lavia will probably be confirmed tomorrow.

We probably need a couple of CM’s, a CB and maybe an attacking player whether it be out wide or up top.
It’ll be interesting to see what the club view as necessities to get promotion this season.

I imagine a lot of the deadwood will be further cleared out in a couple of weeks, bargain basement prices to shift them on.

1 minute ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I imagine it’ll be early next week that we’ll make some signings/a signing.

Lavia will probably be confirmed tomorrow.

We probably need a couple of CM’s, a CB and maybe an attacking player whether it be out wide or up top.
It’ll be interesting to see what the club view as necessities to get promotion this season.

I imagine a lot of the deadwood will be further cleared out in a couple of weeks, bargain basement prices to shift them on.

For me, We need 2 CMs and 1 CB. 

Attack wise we are fine for now, If we sell a winger/Striker then yeah we should replace them.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

In a ideal world, Yes. These are the 3 players we should be signing 100%.

Genuine question but why do we need Grimes when we have Charles, Smallbone, Downes, Armstrong and Alcaraz covering the midfield slots? We might be better off with a young kid who'll be happy with max 10 games

1 hour ago, Crouchie's Lawyer said:

Damn, there was me thinking “who is this Atlanta Primus we have signed and why have I not heard anything about him” only to find out it’s a girl, for the Saints women’s team!

Got my hopes up then!

I was getting confused that they were related to Optimus prime.

optimus prime transformers GIF

• Like 1