Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

27 minutes ago, Dman said:

I'm sooooooo glad we didn't sign Piroe. Far to similar to our outstanding captain Adam Armstrong. 

Only 1 glaring difference - Piroe scores goals. 

Classic bedwetting.😅

Scored the same as Che and less than AA so far. I know the last two results have been shite but both Che and AA will score a good amount this season given the chance.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/championship/top-scorers

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 18/09/2023 at 09:30, skintsaint said:

Classic bedwetting.😅

Scored the same as Che and less than AA so far. I know the last two results have been shite but both Che and AA will score a good amount this season given the chance.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/championship/top-scorers

Plus we have the Loch Ness Drogba raring to go on the sidelines 

• Like 1

On 03/07/2023 at 17:19, manji said:

Leicester are skint debated to the eyeballs. Saints are in a miles better position than them , just because little has been announced yet.

Do you seriously think Joe Shields would leave Man City for a no hope Club. I swear to god some of this is far too complicated for bedwetters like Dman.

LOOOOOOOOOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

6 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

...sorry? 

Isn't the registration window now closed until january?

Yep...he's on not on the official squad list as published by the EFL. I'd assumed it was an error that would be rectified but I looked again yesterday and he's still not on the list. 

6 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

According to the Echo his name wasn't on the initial list due to lateness of the deal, but his name has since been submitted.

Hopefully that's correct. Odd that the EFL published list still doesn't show him though. 

Link to the squad lists. I think we're pages 38 and 39

https://www.efl.com/news/2023/september/07/efl-squad-list--season-2023-24/

Edited by egg

The ABK (basically free?) and JWP (£27m) sales were terrible business. Tella hasn't been replaced. And we only have 1 good fullback to last the season. Our LB is not good enough, and our back up right backs are holgate and bree. Absolutely shocking business.

• Like 5

🚨 A handful of Southampton players did not know they were staying at the club until deadline day, & found it hard to get their heads around not leaving #saintsfc

this just shows we bascally had no real intent to keep anyone. The only players we managed to keep where the ones who didn’t manage to orchestrate their way outta here. 

8 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

🚨 A handful of Southampton players did not know they were staying at the club until deadline day, & found it hard to get their heads around not leaving #saintsfc

this just shows we bascally had no real intent to keep anyone. The only players we managed to keep where the ones who didn’t manage to orchestrate their way outta here. 

The full article also says we couldn’t really spend much as we are teetering on the edge of FFP regs.

Just now, maysie said:

The full article also says we couldn’t really spend much as we are teetering on the edge of FFP regs.

Which is why FFP is so wrong. Smaller clubs punished by something that is meant to even the playing field.

Meanwhile Chelsea have spent over a billion in a year.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

.....and this is a surprise?

1 hour ago, miserableoldgit said:

.....and this is a surprise?

Not really But I think it shows we had no real effort or plan to keep anyone. And also the way we sell ourselves as a team to join to get a better move - now the chips are down nobody wants to be here and that probably reflects in performances 

and also that those who congratulated the club on a great transfer window,it’s probably more by luck that we managed to keep the likes of Adams Sulemana kwp etc 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal
  • Like 1

In hindsight this is looking like one of our worst transfer windows ever. 

In one window the geniuses that are SR turned us from a squad challenging for promotion into a squad challenging to stay up 

- Sold best players

- Didn’t sign keeper 

- Significantly Weakened midfield 

- Weakened defence

- Significantly weakened attack 

- Signed crocked striker 

- Barely spent a penny 

- No leadership qualities added 

- Left all the business we did actually do much too late 

#WeMarchOn

• Like 1

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Which is why FFP is so wrong. Smaller clubs punished by something that is meant to even the playing field.

Meanwhile Chelsea have spent over a billion in a year.

Seems ridiculous if that's true. We've for years made massive sales and havent spent anywhere near as much as a lot of other teams. Even Bournemouth have spent around £200 million in the past 2 seasons and recouped about £1 million! Weren't Everton on the brink of FFP points deductions for ages and then just casually dropped £30 million on two strikers?

Always feels like Saints are the only club to ever worry about this whilst every other club can spend whatever they choose! 🤣🤔

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

In hindsight this is looking like one of our worst transfer windows ever. 

In one window the geniuses that are SR turned us from a squad challenging for promotion into a squad challenging to stay up 

- Sold best players

- Didn’t sign keeper 

- Significantly Weakened midfield 

- Weakened defence

- Significantly weakened attack 

- Signed crocked striker 

- Barely spent a penny 

- No leadership qualities added 

- Left all the business we did actually do much too late 

#WeMarchOn

Not sure it's a significantly weakened attack - it's the same one!  Unless you're counting Tall Paul as a big loss?  I suppose he is big......

On 18/08/2023 at 15:25, Dman said:

I know @Smirking_Saint and I disagree on this front, but this is exactly the reason why I would have compromised on the cost of a few players early on in the window, so that we had a settled (to a degree) side by now. 

Ultimately that extra £5m we held out for on JWP or £5m for Tella is no good when we have a week to replace them, by which point targets have moved on. 

Tino / Aarons was a fantastic example of that. 

@Smirking_SaintDo you remember when you called me clueless, a skate etc. because I said Leicester done the right thing by getting players in (and a settled squad) early in the window and we should have done the same... yeah, turns out the club agree with me...

Disaster class of a thread for you and mental manji 😂

https://x.com/TheSaintCentre/status/1707421084679606606?s=20

9 minutes ago, Dman said:

@Smirking_SaintDo you remember when you called me clueless, a skate etc. because I said Leicester done the right thing by getting players in (and a settled squad) early in the window and we should have done the same... yeah, turns out the club agree with me...

I remember being told we had no financial reason to sell anyone, and we are the richest club the championship has ever seen...all the while Manji was telling anyone not at the teet of Sports Republic, that they must be too thick to understand what the bigger picture is.....

Wild times....

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dman said:

You’ve been bleating endlessly since 2016 about how the club couldn’t wait to sell Mané to Liverpool asap, and that if we’d waited a bit longer for a bidding war, we’d have made much more money. I wouldn’t chirp too loudly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

You’ve been bleating endlessly since 2016 about how the club couldn’t wait to sell Mané to Liverpool asap, and that if we’d waited a bit longer for a bidding war, we’d have made much more money. I wouldn’t chirp too loudly.

I think you've got the wrong person bro, not sure i've ever said that... The fee we got for Mane at the time was reasonable - Looks low now, but that's because prices went made very shortly after. 

Also - what on earth has that got to do with the price of chips anyway? we weren't a relegated side in desperate need for a rebuild when we sold Mane, like were this window. 

Very odd response, not quite the W you thought it was. 

Edited by Dman

• 3 weeks later...