Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

I still feel that Carrillo is much worse than Paul. He had more chances and spurned them (at least in my head)

Tall Paul could genuinely be an elite finisher.. but we will never know as we never put any crosses in to him. (I remember one to his head against west ham which he nearly did really well with.)

One player leaving that I genuinely wish well as I don’t feel he was treated well by the club at all. 

• Like 17

Just now, Osvaldorama said:

I still feel that Carrillo is much worse than Paul. He had more chances and spurned them (at least in my head)

Tall Paul could genuinely be an elite finisher.. but we will never know as we never put any crosses in to him. (I remember one to his head against west ham which he nearly did really well with.)

One player leaving that I genuinely wish well as I don’t feel he was treated well by the club at all. 

He isn't though

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

We must be the only team to sign a 6ft 7inch target man then never play him as a target man !! Unbeievable really. I wish him all the best, he was shafted here.

• Like 8

Buy in haste repent at leisure is the motto that should be pinned in the black box room. It was a case we panicked at the end of the window. Would have been better getting a player like Pukki in for a short term, he at least showed he could score in the PL. I so hope we havent done it again with Ross. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Buy in haste repent at leisure is the motto that should be pinned in the black box room. It was a case we panicked at the end of the window. Would have been better getting a player like Pukki in for a short term, he at least showed he could score in the PL. I so hope we havent done it again with Ross. 

It was desperation and it might have worked. He was the last turkey in the shop.

2 hours ago, OldNick said:

So we were right not to buy anyone in summer 2022 when our targets became unavailable? At some point you just have to take punt

3 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

We must be the only team to sign a 6ft 7inch target man then never play him as a target man !! Unbeievable really. I wish him all the best, he was shafted here.

This exactly. It’s like signing Warwick Davies for crosses into the mixer, Douglas Bader to play on the wing, or a bloke with limp wrists to play in nets. 

• Haha 2

Pepe also going to Trabzonspor puts our fuck up into perspective. A £72m transfer fee and £150k a week wages for three years and they failed to get any kind of tune out of him too. Looks like they have had to pay up most if not all of the last year of his contract just to get rid of him. Doesn't help us, but makes me feel a little better. Also, just shows that even when you aren't panic buying, you can still get it badly wrong. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

A dreadful signing for everyone involved. TP brought right aint the end of the window, just as the tactic, and the manager were going out the door two games later. Under Selles, I saw him get into positions, only to walk back when our attack broke down again. He wasn't suited for the attacks Selles was looking for.

I thought we might get him out on loan for this season. I guess the club added up the wages, the possible cost of the exchange player, amortisation, and the fee with add one, took a deep breaths and took a bit. Perhaps thinking that at least they got something back.

SR caught out, backing Jones when his position was already untenable for many, and picking the next manager with someone he couldn't use, but who was closer to the previous tactic (that they failed to get a striker in for). He wouldn't have got a look in, under Martin either.

He'll be glad to have got out, and who knows what a return to his previous form will bring?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

From what I’ve been told we were trying to push him back onto Genk, because we haven’t paid them for him yet. We’d still be paying them to take him back. It’s one of the worst transfers in Southampton history, up there with Carillo, forren, Orsic, and Ali Dia, utterly ridiculous

Those three don't really fit into that category. They were relatively cheap, if not free and 'worth a punt' at the time. Dia may have been our worst ever player but he was also our cheapest; signed on a free on a one month deal, he probably cost the same as bringing in an extra dinner lady to cover the Xmas party. Forren was no different to Gazza or Mayuka that season really. We needed bodies for our PL squad, they were all worth a punt. 

9 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Those three don't really fit into that category. They were relatively cheap, if not free and 'worth a punt' at the time. Dia may have been our worst ever player but he was also our cheapest; signed on a free on a one month deal, he probably cost the same as bringing in an extra dinner lady to cover the Xmas party. Forren was no different to Gazza or Mayuka that season really. We needed bodies for our PL squad, they were all worth a punt. 

Let’s not exclude the possibility of international money ‘shuffling’

Was listening to The Hard Truth a podcast with the Peterborough chairman and he said they Russel Martin spoke to him at a game about Edwards and how he was a fan but it wasn’t him that made the signings. Went on to say another Championship club came close on deadline day to signing but reckons thry will be back in Jan for him. West Ham wanted him too but made a silly low offer that sounded like it pissed the chairman off.

also said he wants to get Rasmus on an episode as he’s a big fan of what he does.

19 hours ago, EBS1980 said:

Was listening to The Hard Truth a podcast with the Peterborough chairman and he said they Russel Martin spoke to him at a game about Edwards and how he was a fan but it wasn’t him that made the signings. Went on to say another Championship club came close on deadline day to signing but reckons thry will be back in Jan for him. West Ham wanted him too but made a silly low offer that sounded like it pissed the chairman off.

also said he wants to get Rasmus on an episode as he’s a big fan of what he does.

The Champ club was Swansea. They made several bids for him.

Some (lots?) of clubs have been put off by his size as he is about 5'11 which is obviously small for a CB.

2 hours ago, Dusic said:

The Champ club was Swansea. They made several bids for him.

Some (lots?) of clubs have been put off by his size as he is about 5'11 which is obviously small for a CB.

unless he's grown more in the last year or so,  he does sound a bit "undersized " for a CB - even if he can jump.

With that physique sounds more like he should be a  DM  and perhaps playing in front of a back four who have some height.

I'm " old school on this"  and IMHO a CB needs to be  min. 6'2"  in my book, good in the air and have a bit of pace, too. 

Edited by david in sweden
  • Like 1

On 08/09/2023 at 23:51, Saint Garrett said:

From what I’ve been told we were trying to push him back onto Genk, because we haven’t paid them for him yet. We’d still be paying them to take him back. It’s one of the worst transfers in Southampton history, up there with Carillo, forren, Orsic, and Ali Dia, utterly ridiculous

If he starts scoring as he did at Genk, he'll soon be in demand elsewhere and we might recoup our investment .. and maybe a bit more.? 

Good player (?) .but wrong move coming to us. 

On 12/09/2023 at 11:13, EBS1980 said:

Making a smarmy, self-idolising website, or breaking things that aren't broken?

14 hours ago, david in sweden said:

If he starts scoring as he did at Genk, he'll soon be in demand elsewhere and we might recoup our investment .. and maybe a bit more.? 

Good player (?) .but wrong move coming to us. 

Matter of opinion. I think he's absolutely dreadful.  I dont think any other club will take a punt on him, becuase he goes and does a job in the Turkish league. He looked completely lost in the premier league, and doubt he's capable of doing a job in the championship, unless you're looking to stick on a big bloke to lump it to in desperate last 5 mins!

13 minutes ago, Tommy Mulgrew said:

Interested in Zeka, apparently.  Free agent.  28 and compared to Romeu.  WBA and Palace also interested.  Yet another midfielder.  I wonder if he has played as a goalkeeper!

Apparently according to what or who?

20 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Matter of opinion. I think he's absolutely dreadful.  I dont think any other club will take a punt on him, becuase he goes and does a job in the Turkish league. He looked completely lost in the premier league, and doubt he's capable of doing a job in the championship, unless you're looking to stick on a big bloke to lump it to in desperate last 5 mins!

But surely you haven’t seen him enough to have much of a opinion nor have any of us ..his touch didn’t look too bad he didn’t effect any games In his limited minutes but also didn’t really do anything wrong..

always find it weird that players who hardly get any game time get so bashed on here Orsic likewise .. everyone wanks over them when we sign them .. 2 appearances later they are labelled dog shit lol 

On 07/09/2023 at 23:54, JRM said:

We have a long proud history of it. Selling promising young star Alan Shearer for British record fee and replacing him with semi retired Kerry Dixon , tragic really 

Even semi-retired is a generous description if you’ve read his book (got it for a quid on Kindle). The club has a reputation for clever recruitment but really that’s based on short periods eg late 90s, early 2000s (Terry Cooper), and Paul Mitchell working with Poch and Ronald mid-2010s with the odd standout moment eg Lavia, which has been wiped out in part by Onachu, Orsic etc. Recruitment was good 2009-12 but then we had a bigger budget comparatively which helps. 

Throughout the 90s it was crap, wasted so much on Dixon, Speedie, Hurlock’s contract, only really Kenny Monkou and then Pahars and Beattie towards the end of the decade who were good. 2003 thought they’d cracked it and went cheap and nasty refusing to back WGS with quality, preferring Norwich fringe players, same again after 2016 with refusing to pay over £17m when the market changed.

All clubs have hit and miss on recruitment but I’m not sure the club’s strong reputation and own self-congratulation on recruitment is entirely justified.