Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

3 minutes ago, Bakovnetski said:

Schmeichel would be a great shout...wages probably not too bad and Bazunu at least has a decent keeper to learn from

Imagine that. He might even let in 9 on his debut on a Friday night against one of his former clubs 🙂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JRM said:

Thought he was going to be the next Mane after his goal at Sheffield United away , been a disappointment mainly since then , never looked like he was sure which end we were attacking 

The defenders were bamboozled, but most of the time Djenepo's legs were bamboozled themselves.

25 minutes ago, petermcpete said:

Djenepo's wikipedia suggests we paid £14m for him, surely that can't be right?!

i think it is right, i remember the fee being around that, then he scored a couple of great goals, Sheff United and Brighton wasn't it? Been absolutely shit since then

30 minutes ago, petermcpete said:

Djenepo's wikipedia suggests we paid £14m for him, surely that can't be right?!

Earns his new deal playing a couple of good games at LB… a few million quid for that. Cheers Martin Semmens

Edited by AlexLaw76

6 minutes ago, Dig Dig said:

He is useless playing out from the back and therefore never going to be an option here. 

Point someone else raised that I think is valid, why shoehorn people into a rigid "system", why not model the system to be more fluid and suit the player's strengths better.  If he signed (he won't) and stopped half the goals (either by being a better goalie or by shouting/organising the defenders better), then you alter the system to take into account the bit he's not so good at.

Just my view anyway. 

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

At last, such a naff player.

I might be being a bit more charitable than most but I've never really disliked Djenepo.  Always felt that if we'd played him as a winger then he'd have looked better than he has with us so far.  He never fitted the 4-2-2-2 system though and most of the time Ralph concentrated on getting him to do the things he couldn't do rather than the things he could.  Even last season he managed to get a goal and I think a couple of assists which considering the limited amount of time he was on the pitch is probably as good as most last season (not a high bar though).

Anyway, good luck to him.

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, Dig Dig said:

He is useless playing out from the back and therefore never going to be an option here. 

Shame, because he is very good at keeping goals out, which is kind of what goalies should do, in my opinion. It's okay if you're Man City, but if you're not, the tactic has limits, and especially with so many fuck ups in the side.

7 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

I might be being a bit more charitable than most but I've never really disliked Djenepo.  Always felt that if we'd played him as a winger then he'd have looked better than he has with us so far.  He never fitted the 4-2-2-2 system though and most of the time Ralph concentrated on getting him to do the things he couldn't do rather than the things he could.  Even last season he managed to get a goal and I think a couple of assists which considering the limited amount of time he was on the pitch is probably as good as most last season (not a high bar though).

As well as Sheffield United and Brighton away he had a storming game against Chelsea at St Mary's who resorted to kicking him up and down the pitch. And there was that great goal against Manchester City. Always felt there was a player there if he had been used in the right way and just told to get the ball and run at defenders

• Like 2

1 hour ago, revolution saint said:

I'm much the same. We overpaid for him, and he didn't set the world on fire.

He showed some moments, but got caught in a system/ approach that just wasn't him. When he got moved to, and did okay, at left back I think the club simply didn't want a player with possibly some value, go for nothing.

It did noone any favours, as he's basically been squad baggage, while the club hoped to get something for him.

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Earns his new deal playing a couple of good games at LB… a few million quid for that. Cheers Martin Semmens

Honestly, of all the batshit crazy decisions in the last few years this is one of the craziest. Shows the club had completely lost its way and was unable to spot talent or manage the squad correctly  

Think it’s a toss up between this, signing Tall Paul and appointing Nathan Jones for the title. 

11 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

I'm much the same. We overpaid for him, and he didn't set the world on fire.

He showed some moments, but got caught in a system/ approach that just wasn't him. When he got moved to, and did okay, at left back I think the club simply didn't want a player with possibly some value, go for nothing.

It did noone any favours, as he's basically been squad baggage, while the club hoped to get something for him.

I think this is the period where we were fixated on that £15-20m market. We had that golden period where we grabbed Tadic, Mane, Wanyama, VVD etc within that bracket - but we didn't seem to realise football had moved on, and with that so does the finances. We needed to get to those £30m figures to get similar ilk 2018-2019, but we never did - and then wondered why we were lumbered with Lemina, Hoedt, Moussa, Ely, Vestergaard etc.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Harsh to blame it all on Semmens. Ultimately he backed the managers judgement, which is what we all want a chairman to do

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, egg said:

Extending Djenepo's contract was daft, ditto signing Tall Paul, but appointing Jones to try to steer us to PL safety was a level of stupidity I doubt we'll ever see again. 

Very true. As said the other day, watching Luton on telly was like 'what could have been'

My god

• Haha 1

Just now, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Harsh to blame it all on Semmens. Ultimately he backed the managers judgement, which is what we all want a chairman to do

If it was Ralph's judgement. Martin was on the radio the other night and said with Ralph and their time together at Saints, Ralph did not have the final say on new signings and contracts

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

If it was Ralph's judgement. Martin was on the radio the other night and said with Ralph and their time together at Saints, Ralph did not have the final say on new signings and contracts

If that's the case, then that is probably why it went south very quickly.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, revolution saint said:

I don't think you can ever doubt his commitment, I appreciated that as a fan - but he very rarely achieved anything, and when he tried...he'd fall over his feet or something. He was an incredibly frustrating player in one of our most blunt PL attacks, ever. 

I hope he settles down again at Standard and enjoys the rest of his career, but I doubt he'll play at a high league level again.

1 hour ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

If you’re talking about Ronald, Poch, Nigel, Pards and early Ralph in recent times, WGS further back, I agree with you.

When the manager is Pellegrino, Nathan Jones, or Ralph post-March 2021 then no, because that how you end up with Onachu, Carrillo etc and tens of millions down the drain.

As for Djenepo, great start with those two solo goals but struggled with fitness and any sort of consistency since, although the club has been a bin fire over the last 18 months where you needed to be a Lavia calibre player not to be dragged into the football gutter. Good luck to him, always put in a shift unlike most of the players in his era at the club.

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Like 1

Scored some cracking goals against Sheffield United, Brighton and more recently Man City last season. Will probably score for fun in Belgium if he can stay fit. However, he needed a bit more in England, an entertaining player, but never seemed truly in control.

11 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Currently rumoured that Paul Onuachu’s move back to Genk is officially off; and that the player is devastated.

Must be hard being on £50K a week.

And pretty soul destroying knowing that you're not going to play. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, revolution saint said:

I’d be really surprised if not a single club in Belgium wanted Tall Paul and by their deadline you’d think we’ll be practically giving him away (on loan). 

It's like watching the Carillo episode all over again, so depressing when a club like us spends limited funds and when we do loosen the purse strings it's wasted on a player that offers us nothing. Questions should be asked on the scouting, how many times did we watch him play? 

I had a £10 bet with a mate that he will never score for us after watching his debut, still not paid out on that , who knows he could stay and find his shooting boots but what a farce this has been. 

9 hours ago, Maggie May said:

Tall Paul to come in from the cold and fire us to the Prem? 

That kind of redemption arc only happens in Disney movies. He needs a montage of him learning to run, maybe up some stairs Rocky style. Then learning to kick a ball....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, JRM said:

It's like watching the Carillo episode all over again, so depressing when a club like us spends limited funds and when we do loosen the purse strings it's wasted on a player that offers us nothing. Questions should be asked on the scouting, how many times did we watch him play? 

I had a £10 bet with a mate that he will never score for us after watching his debut, still not paid out on that , who knows he could stay and find his shooting boots but what a farce this has been. 

I think we were really struggling to get anyone in by the point so it was a case of gamble on Onuachu to keep us up or get no one

5 hours ago, JRM said:

I'm not convinced he was even scouted. Such was our desperation, and the lack of apparent governance at the time, that they probably just looked up the highest scoring players in European leagues and just took a flyer on him.