Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

We need to sell more than just a couple to start bringing in new faces.

Its not about the incoming money but as has been said many times we have too many players.

Selling Lavia alone even for £50 million is not helpful unless we can shift a few of the wasters as well.

We desperately need at least 3 or 4 new signings who will be good enough to start each week.

To achieve that we need to shift about 10 of our deadwood/ heads gone bunch.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:
May as well reject it based on it coming a day after the last one and see what they bid come Sunday :) 

To be fair, that's a great offer for him. Feels reasonable for all parties.

If Chelsea are interested, stump up in the next day or 2, or you miss out. If it free's up a spot for us to bring someone in, then I think lets just get this one concluded. 

Lavia would be fantastic at Liverpool imo, a great fit. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, Dman said:

Why, is he a thieving twat then, any club apart for them IMo

Iam surprised how little reaction to Sulimana leaving there has been! Imo he will turn out to be one hell of a player

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Why, is he a thieving twat then, any club apart for them IMo

Iam surprised how little reaction to Sulimana leaving there has been! Imo he will turn out to be one hell of a player

Sulemana hasnt left yet nor been very strongly linked with anyone apart from vague 'interest from France' links I thought? Would be a real shame if he didnt give us another season, unless he was told he would be sold if we went down. 

• Like 1

Throwing it back to the Tella chat quickly. If he wasn't a Southampton player and we were being linked to him, a player who got 17 Championship in 39 appearances from a wide position last season, we'd be loving it and championing the club for targeting the right players. Therefore, must stay.

• Like 12

44 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:
May as well reject it based on it coming a day after the last one and see what they bid come Sunday :) 

I'd say thats a fair deal, get it done and get on with bringing some new players in that want to be here.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Dman said:

To be fair, that's a great offer for him. Feels reasonable for all parties.

If Chelsea are interested, stump up in the next day or 2, or you miss out. If it free's up a spot for us to bring someone in, then I think lets just get this one concluded. 

Couldn't care less whether he is a great fit for the bin dippers or not. If we value him at £50m, then £42.5m with addons later doesn't seem a reasonable deal to me. He has 4 years on his contract I believe. We hold all the cards here. No need to bend over and let them call the shots like they have in the past

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Boo. Not sure I want that to be our major attacking signing. 

agreed, feels a big risk given his injury history. Not sure I want to be relying on AA or Mara for a prolonged period next season 

1 minute ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Couldn't care less whether he is a great fit for the bin dippers or not. If we value him at £50m, then £42.5m with addons later doesn't seem a reasonable deal to me. He has 4 years on his contract I believe. We hold all the cards here. No need to bend over and let them call the shots like they have in the past

Chances are we have set a high valuation for him, not in the hope of getting that figure, more in the hope of getting as much as we can. If this offer is real then it seems a pretty fair one to me. 

• Like 2

IMG_1508.jpeg.005661aee0fc3ff3e349330103527e51.jpeg

So here is Ross Stewart’s injury history. Outside of a couple of hamstring injuries it is just the one bad Achilles tendon surgery. Can anyone tell me if that’s something players usually bounce back from ok or is it more troublesome.

We all seem quite happy with Tino being first choice RB, surely his ACL injury is a bigger/worse injury?

If this guy does come back fighting fit, in the small sample size we have from last season he was a goal machine. I think he might be worth a punt with one year left.

• Like 1

He doesn't want to be here, he's not playing in the championship.. We don't hold as many cards as you think. 

An offer of £45m for a 20 year old with 1 season under his belt is not them calling the shots. 

As the great Martin Semmens once said (probably the only sensible thing he's said); if we refused to sell young talent to top teams, the next Tino, Lavia etc wont pick us when we're in for them. Buy, develop, sell is our model. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

He doesn't want to be here, he's not playing in the championship.. We don't hold as many cards as you think. 

An offer of £45m for a 20 year old with 1 season under his belt is not them calling the shots. 

As the great Martin Semmens once said (probably the only sensible thing he's said); if we refused to sell young talent to top teams, the next Tino, Lavia etc wont pick us when we're in for them. Buy, develop, sell is our model. 

They have upped their bid from £37m to £45m in one day. Chelsea remain interested and Liverpool seem to really want him. £50m might still be possible yet including add ons and with 20% going to City it is in our best interests to maximise this sale. Be very interesting to see if we accept this latest bid or hold firm for more, we are seemingly close to an agreement.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

Agreed - we need to sell him, not disputing that. Doesn't need to be for the amount being offered and doesn't even need to be this year (but obviously will)

I'm hoping Chelsea will be spurred into some action.

3 minutes ago, Dman said:

Indeed. We can say to all future wonder kids that we got relegated, had our worst ever season and still turned a young prospect into a top player that the best teams would pay top dollar for. This sale will assist us in getting in a load more top youngsters. Ameyew will do the same when he goes in a couple of years. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

we're a relegated club who need to sell players with a top premier league club who the player in question wants to join. That doesn't sound like we hold all the card to me. 

• Like 1

Agreed - we need to sell him, not disputing that. Doesn't need to be for the amount being offered and doesn't even need to be this year (but obviously will)

I'm hoping Chelsea will be spurred into some action.

If they do great, but they dont seem to have made a bid. At the moment it looks like Liverpool are unfortunately the only offer on the table. 

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

we're a relegated club who need to sell players with a top premier league club who the player in question wants to join. That doesn't sound like we hold all the card to me. 

I think the reality is that if we get 45 million that 99% of fans are going g to be satisfied. It's really only a weird subset that won't be but that's the same group of people that say things like if a player kicks off that we should out them in the reserves for the rest of the season rather than sell them. They aren't serious people. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Throwing it back to the Tella chat quickly. If he wasn't a Southampton player and we were being linked to him, a player who got 17 Championship in 39 appearances from a wide position last season, we'd be loving it and championing the club for targeting the right players. Therefore, must stay.

Pretty much up to Tella though, all player power these days, if he kicks up a fuss about wanting to go then he's going 

10 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I think the reality is that if we get 45 million that 99% of fans are going g to be satisfied. It's really only a weird subset that won't be but that's the same group of people that say things like if a player kicks off that we should out them in the reserves for the rest of the season rather than sell them. They aren't serious people. 

It's 42.5 million. 7.5 million less than we apparently want. We'll see what happens, but no need to get overly dramatic. Just pointing out we can push the price up further. They obviously want him. They'll pay more.

Edited by Golac's Cunning Stunts
can't do simple maths

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

🤣

Agree, £45m is a decent deal for a lad with only one season under his belt. Despite what people might think we aren't in a strong position, i dont remember many players moving from the championship for even £30m+. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

IMG_1508.jpeg.005661aee0fc3ff3e349330103527e51.jpeg

So here is Ross Stewart’s injury history. Outside of a couple of hamstring injuries it is just the one bad Achilles tendon surgery. Can anyone tell me if that’s something players usually bounce back from ok or is it more troublesome.

We all seem quite happy with Tino being first choice RB, surely his ACL injury is a bigger/worse injury?

If this guy does come back fighting fit, in the small sample size we have from last season he was a goal machine. I think he might be worth a punt with one year left.

You tend to lose a yard of pace and become that little bit less explosive. No idea if those were major attributes for Stewart, I can happily admit to never seeing him play. 

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

It's 42.5 million. 7.5 million less than we apparently want. We'll see what happens, but no need to get overly dramatic. Just pointing out we can push the price up further. They obviously want him. They'll pay more.

+.2.5m in add ons, this is how these deal work. You very rarely get a deal where the full fee is guarenteed, there are also appearance clauses, international caps, trophies etc built in. 42.5m guarented is a good deal

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

i'd be happy if Saints tried to eke out a little extra.

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

🤣

Agree, £45m is a decent deal for a lad with only one season under his belt. Despite what people might think we aren't in a strong position, i don't remember many players moving from the championship for even £30m+. 

Think we can do better, but probably need to get over the bad taste in my mouth that selling to the scousers causes

Had a quick look > Maddison. Barnes, Bellingham, Ake, Watkins, Sissoko, Pedro all went for >£30m

It would appear the £50m is based on the guaranteed £40m promised by Man City for next summer. I’m not sure that someone at Lavia’s developmental stage is going to throw his toys out the pram. Might find there is a lot less interest in him next summer if that was the case……

Edited by SW5 SAINT
Edit
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SW5 SAINT said:

It would appear the £50m is based on the guaranteed £40m promised by Man City for next summer. I’m not sure that someone at Lavia’s developmental stage is going to throw his toys out the pram. Might find there is a lot less interest in him next summer if that was the case……

Nothing is guaranteed or promised by City. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Turkish said:

We need to get our wage bill down and bring in a bit of moneys we don’t need to sell our best players on the cheap. If we can offload a few more Diallos and Orsics we're under very little pressure to sell the likes of JWP and Lavia, unless we get a deal which suits us.

£42.5 plus a few add ins sounds like a reasonable enough deal to me, although still less than they paid for Naby Keita.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Think we can do better, but probably need to get over the bad taste in my mouth that selling to the scousers causes

Had a quick look > Maddison. Barnes, Bellingham, Ake, Watkins, Sissoko, Pedro all went for >£30m

Would appear the £40m fee for Maddison is the current record. Lavia will be breaking that after just one year of adult football!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

We need to get our wage bill down and bring in a bit of moneys we don’t need to sell our best players on the cheap. If we can offload a few more Diallos and Orsics we're under very little pressure to sell the likes of JWP and Lavia, unless we get a deal which suits us.

£42.5 plus a few add ins sounds like a reasonable enough deal to me, although still less than they paid for Naby Keita.

We appear to be saving about £200k-£250k a week already with Elayanoussi, Walcott, Orsic and Diallo gone, still more to do but the fact is we aren't selling our best players cheap.

again so what? Completely irrelevant, Kieta had a £48m release clause, he was a proven international and had played champions league football when joined Liverpool from Red Bull. Not every transfer is the same you know Lighthouse.

Edited by Turkish

59 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I'd say thats a fair deal, get it done and get on with bringing some new players in that want to be here.

The club want 50m but you think a fair deal is 42.5 plus add ons, wouldn't want you on my negotiating team for my business🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

We appear to be saving about £200k-£250k a week already with Elayanoussi, Walcott, Orsic and Diallo gone, still more to do but the fact is we aren't selling our best players cheap.

again so what? Completely irrelevant, Kieta had a £48m release clause, he was a proven international and had played champions league football when joined Liverpool from Red Bull. Not every transfer is the same you know Lighthouse.

It’s not irrelevant, if you’re selling a house you look at what the other, similar houses in your neighbourhood are going for. Keita’s release clause just means there was a maximum Liverpool were obliged to pay in order to sign him. Without that clause his fee would have been higher.

If we’re comparing the two, Lavia has already played for Belgium, which is a much tougher team to get into than Guinea, let’s be honest. One has played PL football, the other CL. I’d say the former was more important when signing a player, you want a player who’s going to perform domestically every week.

I’d say we have every right to expect a similar fee.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

5JjfY2a.png

The league was just too rich for Saints. 

Main thing that table shows is how much teams waste money!  Who on that list would say gave value for money?  VVD I would say currently, a few others may turn out to be good value as well if they've recently signed. 

Puts our b*tching about carillo and onuachu into perspective 

Just now, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

I think the Scousers are in a hurry with this one in case Chelsea join the chase. Might do well to take our time over this

We’ll ask JWP if he’s still got Poch’s number, ask him to stick in a cheeky £55m bid just to put the willies up the Scousers.

• Haha 1

I think the reality is that we would have always been happy with £45m for RL.

If we'd come out and set our stall out at £45m then we'd be at £40m now - we want the scousers to think they're getting a deal but £45m for a lad with one season under his belt is decent money any way you look at it. It sets the standard for the rest of the window, we're not to be bullied, we set our fees and whilst there is room for negotiation we don't *need* to sell. 

(Reality is we do need to sell if we want new blood in)

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Are you bullied by your Mrs or something? You always seem to want to come on here and start an argument.

• Haha 6

3 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Sunderland fans aren't that fussed about Stewart

To be fair, pretty much all of them are saying him and one other player are their only two prem quality players. Probably not fussed though because they've done fine without him since his injury. I really wanted Piroe but maybe he doesn't represent good value.