Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

I was listening to Darragh MacAnthkny the owner of Peterborough United yesterday on TalkSPORT. FWIW, like Simon Jordan, I think he speaks some sense at times. He knows RM and RA and said two things that I got me looking at this season with more optimism. Firstly he said to expect some ‘delicious’ football under RM and that RA won’t be having his trousers pulled down over transfers or players worth. He then backed it up with example’s and was categoric that if RM had been appointed post Ralph we wouldn’t have been relegated. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, John B said:

I think their attitude is based on Liverpool being one of the two top English teams of the last 60 years 

First Division/Premier League 1963–64, 1965–66, 1972–73, 1975–76, 1976–77, 1978–79, 1979–80, 1981–82, 1982–83, 1983–84, 1985–86, 1987–88, 1989–90, 2019–20

Second Division 1961–62

FA Cup 1964–65, 1973–74, 1985–86, 1988–89, 1991–92, 2000–01, 2005–06, 2021–22

Football League Cup/EFL Cup 1980–81, 1981–82, 1982–83, 1983–84, 1994–95, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2011–12, 2021–22

FA Charity Shield/FA Community Shield 1964*, 1965*, 1966, 1974, 1976, 1977*, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1986*, 1988, 1989, 1990*, 2001, 2006, 2022 (* shared)

Football League Super Cup 1985-86

ContinentalEuropean Cup/UEFA Champions League 1976–77, 1977–78, 1980–81, 1983–84, 2004–05, 2018–19

UEFA Cup/UEFA Europa League 1972–73, 1975–76, 2000–01

UEFA Super Cup 1977, 2001, 2005, 2019

WorldwideFIFA Club World Cup12019

Although if you change your date range to the last 30 years then not so much.

8 hours ago, Dusic said:

Opening bid so obviously just a starting point but expect it will happen. He is too good to waste a (tournament) year in the Championship and everyone glosses over the financials too from his perspective.

We have been relegated, we will need to sell some players and particularly our highest earners so sooner it happens the better (assuming a good offer ends up being made).

What if a good offer doesnt materialise?

8 hours ago, Dusic said:

Opening bid so obviously just a starting point but expect it will happen. He is too good to waste a (tournament) year in the Championship and everyone glosses over the financials too from his perspective.

We have been relegated, we will need to sell some players and particularly our highest earners so sooner it happens the better (assuming a good offer ends up being made).

Especially when they supposedly bid £45m for the Fulham guy - who’s the same age as JWP.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Keep him. 
Next question?

Ok.

What if a good offer also doesn't materialise for Lavia? We then have Lavia, JWP, Charles, the others, a bloated squad, massive wage bill, and no big cash coming in to balance the books. 

As fans we'd like to keep the big boys. In reality, that can't and won't happen. Some players will undoubtedly end up being sold for the best price we can get. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

Although if you change your date range to the last 30 years then not so much.

I think this is the crux of it. The fans and media fawn over them as if that list is recent history. It’s over 30 years old. In the last 30 years they’re behind both Manchester clubs (especially funny) and 2 London clubs.

Yet they go around as if they’re football royalty. They only time they bucked that with a league title in 30 years was done on massive credit and now they have to pay it back they can’t compete. Again. Why should the rest of the footballing world subsidise that?

Of course, in their fans view the football world should subsidise them because they’re somehow the victims. Again. 
They’re not - horrible city full of criminal gangs shooting each others kids, moaning about how tough they have it and blaming Thatcher who’s as irrelevant as their 1980s league titles.

And doing all this in the worst accent ever invented. I’d rather be stuck in a lift with a yank, South African, Glaswegian and Ian Paisleys ghost than one scouser.
Horrific accent. Horrible people. Entitled attitude. Victim mentality. And the spitting Jamie Carragher. 
I’ll come back to edit the post when I’ve remembered some more …

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

So they want our captain, England international and one of the best free kick takers in the world for £10m less than they paid for Scamacca, or £5m less than Leicester paid for Daka. I needed a laugh today.

this really fails the so what test

Our Captain - irrelevant to then

England international - there is a difference between and England international and a player who has played for England, JWP is the latter

one of the best free kick takers in the world - give you than

£10m less than Scamacca who is a striker not a midfielder coming from a different country- irrelevant to this deal

£5m less than Daka Not even the same clubs involved and also a striker not a midfielder - irrelevant to this deal

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

JWP - £25 million now, no instalments or any drip feeding crap + Downes ( if he really is a player the manager wants) on a permanent.

That, I would take I think. We aren’t getting 50 million for him, the big clubs have never wanted him, hence him still being here 11 years after his debut, and they aren’t starting to show interest now by the look of it.

Edited by beatlesaint

As good as JWP is and as potent his free kicks and corners are world class in fact, he's not quite a CL midfielder overall and in his normal play.

He's certainly the Level below and I think that's what the big clubs see. 

I'd like him to stay but I doubt he will and he deserves to play in the PL. West Ham, Villa, maybe even Spurs is where I see him ending up. 

25-30m plus Downes from WHU would be satisfactory, seeing as RM appears to live FD which is good enough for me right now. 

Lavia will go if we cam get 40m plus I am guessing. Tino for a similar amount. Salisu for 15-20, Lyanco for 3-5, and possibly KWP for 20. I think Adams will go also for around 15-20m, Djeneppo for 5-10. This would bring in upto 180m which is staggering and remove alot of wages too. 

As long as this can all happen say within2-3 weeks (and as hinted at by RM there are players we want who know we want them, and are willing to be patient) then I'm feeling optimistic. 

It may be a slow up and down start because of the window but the Championship is a long season so plenty of time. We can be the financial bullies to get out at the first attempt. 

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

JWP - £25 million now, no instalments or any drip feeding crap + Downes ( if he really is a player the manager wants) on a permanent.

That, I would take I think. We aren’t getting 50 million for him, the big clubs have never wanted him, hence him still being here 11 years after his debut, and they aren’t starting to show interest now by the look of it.

Something tells me they and JWP are not too particularly bothered if he’s sold or not, hence the price they’ve set. I don’t think Downes is needed even with Diallo gone, given Smallbone is back in the mix. Lavia is the most obvious leaver from midfield so yeah, not sure we’ll see JWP leave.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, egg said:

Ok.

What if a good offer also doesn't materialise for Lavia? We then have Lavia, JWP, Charles, the others, a bloated squad, massive wage bill, and no big cash coming in to balance the books. 

As fans we'd like to keep the big boys. In reality, that can't and won't happen. Some players will undoubtedly end up being sold for the best price we can get. 

Still over a month to go and it seems the club are happy to play hard ball at the moment. I’m sure there are various scenarios planned for and would think potential cut prices are in place for certain players to get them out to reduce costs, especially if they are seen not being able to contribute to a promotion push. 

There is also the possibility it will be taken out of the club’s hands if a player strikes or submits a transfer request and likewise where a bid isn’t acceptable to the club. 

1 hour ago, Chewy said:

I think this is the crux of it. The fans and media fawn over them as if that list is recent history. It’s over 30 years old. In the last 30 years they’re behind both Manchester clubs (especially funny) and 2 London clubs.

Yet they go around as if they’re football royalty. They only time they bucked that with a league title in 30 years was done on massive credit and now they have to pay it back they can’t compete. Again. Why should the rest of the footballing world subsidise that?

Of course, in their fans view the football world should subsidise them because they’re somehow the victims. Again. 
They’re not - horrible city full of criminal gangs shooting each others kids, moaning about how tough they have it and blaming Thatcher who’s as irrelevant as their 1980s league titles.

And doing all this in the worst accent ever invented. I’d rather be stuck in a lift with a yank, South African, Glaswegian and Ian Paisleys ghost than one scouser.
Horrific accent. Horrible people. Entitled attitude. Victim mentality. And the spitting Jamie Carragher. 
I’ll come back to edit the post when I’ve remembered some more …

And they forget that they murdered 38 Juventus fans.

Absolute load of cunts.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Turkish said:

this really fails the so what test

Our Captain - irrelevant to then

England international - there is a difference between and England international and a player who has played for England, JWP is the latter

one of the best free kick takers in the world - give you than

£10m less than Scamacca who is a striker not a midfielder coming from a different country- irrelevant to this deal

£5m less than Daka Not even the same clubs involved and also a striker not a midfielder - irrelevant to this deal

The whole point is that he is a proven PL quality player and we all know there’s an extra tax on home grown players. JWP isn’t some Richard Wright type signing filling up the quota on the reserves, he’s good enough (and fit enough) to play regularly for most teams in the bottom half. People are spending £30m plus on completely unproven players who’ve only ever performed in places like Austria or Belgium, JWP is clearly worth more than that.

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, Doctoroncall said:

Still over a month to go and it seems the club are happy to play hard ball at the moment. I’m sure there are various scenarios planned for and would think potential cut prices are in place for certain players to get them out to reduce costs, especially if they are seen not being able to contribute to a promotion push. 

There is also the possibility it will be taken out of the club’s hands if a player strikes or submits a transfer request and likewise where a bid isn’t acceptable to the club. 

I think the issue with JWP will be the possibility that only west ham are in the race. If they're bidding against themselves, the bid won't be high and probably below what we want. If, for example, Lavia has his heart set on Liverpool and they only bid £35m which is below what we want, what do the club do? Keep hold of JWP, Lavia and out other midfielders, or take the best bid on the table for at the least one of them? 

7 minutes ago, egg said:

I think the issue with JWP will be the possibility that only west ham are in the race. If they're bidding against themselves, the bid won't be high and probably below what we want. If, for example, Lavia has his heart set on Liverpool and they only bid £35m which is below what we want, what do the club do? Keep hold of JWP, Lavia and out other midfielders, or take the best bid on the table for at the least one of them? 

It's ok, it has been "explained" to us that we are selling players over their market value (or doing well on this front) and Leicester have balled it up.

The reality is clearly completely at odds with that point, but has been explained on here to us.

real world, we clearly need to shift high profile players, for multiple reasons

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 1

Nothing has changed unfortunately, JWP still off. If WHU are at £25m - we know it'll end up at £30m + £5m add ons. Fact of the matter is, he is a saleable asset and he wants the move. He wants to play PL football and you can't blame him for that. 

4 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

It's ok, it has been "explained" to us that we are selling players over their market value (or doing well on this front) and Leicester have balled it up.

The reality is clearly completely at odds with that point, but has been explained on here to us.

real world, we clearly need to shift high profile players, for multiple reasons

Multiple reasons?  Such as?

FFP is apparently not a reason.

Contractually, the likes of JWP and Romeo are on long enough deals for it not to be a problem in the coming season.

Characteristically, JWP doesn't strike me as one to sulk and cause issues in the background.  Haven't seen enough of Romeo or his agent to really make a judgement call but he's a young lad with a long career ahead of him.

Squad make up, every club in the Championship would build a team around players like James and Romeo - if they could.

Business risk, ultimately this comes down to the owner, our billionaire owner.  He will have a risk value in his head and so it depends on which side of that risk we currently are.

• Like 1

I wouldn't read much into any values stated by journos, particularly on opening bids.

I mean Arsenal didn't go straight in at £105m for Rice did they?

Figures are fed by agents and clubs and clearly in the case of JWP and Lavia they aren't being fed by Saints.

We all know that these players will be leaving, the club have known for ages and so have prospective buyers.

From what we know of Ankersen and especially this summer, there is no chance we will sell these guys for way under what we think they are worth.

Everything now is just negotiation and then at the end when it done the buying club journos will hail the great deal their club did and ours will say we stuck to our value and got a great deal.

Not worth getting into a flap about. The best thing for Saints is to get a fair price and get it done so we can move on and get in our own targets.

All IMHO of course,

Morph

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Multiple reasons?  Such as?

FFP is apparently not a reason.

Contractually, the likes of JWP and Romeo are on long enough deals for it not to be a problem in the coming season.

Characteristically, JWP doesn't strike me as one to sulk and cause issues in the background.  Haven't seen enough of Romeo or his agent to really make a judgement call but he's a young lad with a long career ahead of him.

Squad make up, every club in the Championship would build a team around players like James and Romeo - if they could.

Business risk, ultimately this comes down to the owner, our billionaire owner.  He will have a risk value in his head and so it depends on which side of that risk we currently are.

The need to bring in funds

The need to free up wages as some will be on massive wages for the championship

The need to reduce the squad size

The need to free up space to bring in more players

The need to get want away players off the books

The need for a new start

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, egg said:

This. I think JWP will end up going to West Ham for £30m and Lavia to Liverpool for £40m. Which will be a very good outcome if we can plough that into a decent keeper and striker to replace Che who will go for about £10m

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, egg said:

Probably. Who knows as it’s mostly guess work and conjecture on here. 

I’d hope the club would be aware of the level of interest. The hard part is judging whether the interest materialises into acceptable bids. 

9 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

The need for a new start

+ The need to create space to actually play new signings (Manning, Charles). We can't play them plus Tino, KWP, JWP, Lavia. Something has to give. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, egg said:

+ The need to create space to actually play new signings (Manning, Charles). We can't play them plus Tino, KWP, JWP, Lavia. Something has to give. 

Hopefully we move on Lavia and Sulemana quickly at the very least so we can invest in a couple of players we know are going to be here this season.

I think getting one or two of the higher value players off our books for fair fees as soon as possible will be really important for the last month of the window. If we can shift two of Sulemana, ABK or Lavia, our negotiating position gets a lot stronger for JWP as it's no longer infeasible for us to keep him here if we don't get a good enough bid. Obviously it also frees up funds for incomings. Whereas as it is at the moment all the big hitters know we have pressure to sell. Hence West Ham's quite silly £25m bid.

Just now, AlexLaw76 said:

The need for a new start

All bar your last point depend upon the owners appetite for risk, the new start will hopefully be brought by Jason and Russell. 

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

The whole point is that he is a proven PL quality player and we all know there’s an extra tax on home grown players. JWP isn’t some Richard Wright type signing filling up the quota on the reserves, he’s good enough (and fit enough) to play regularly for most teams in the bottom half. People are spending £30m plus on completely unproven players who’ve only ever performed in places like Austria or Belgium, JWP is clearly worth more than that.

Yeah but I don’t see why a completely  different club signing a striker from a European league is in any way relevant to what price Ward-Prowse is worth. It’s about as relevant as what deodorant you put on this morning. The fact of the matter is there are only a small pool of clubs who would want Ward-Prowse which drives the price down, we need to sell players which drives to price down and his age isn’t in his favour either. People can go on about the 3 years left on his contract, he’s england caps and free kicks but he’s only worth what people are prepared to pay and with there being a limited amount of takers it ain’t as much as some of you are wishing for 

• Like 1

JWP will move if the club accept a bid from somewhere he wants to go, but he's happy to stay.

The same with Tino and Tella.  Both very happy to stay.

Sulemmana isn't likely to go anywhere unless a great bid comes in.  He's got a hamstring injury, that's why he's not played.

This from a good source I see regularly but as he always says, this is today and tomorrow is tomorrow.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Winchester Red said:

JWP will move if the club accept a bid from somewhere he wants to go, but he's happy to stay.

Sulemmana isn't likely to go anywhere unless a great bid comes in.  He's got a hamstring injury, that's why he's not played.

This from a good source I see regularly but as he always says, this is today and tomorrow is tomorrow.

Wonderful news. I'd really like to see Sulemana play in the championship.

• Like 1

Not sure if this is a clever PR ploy or what, and I realise that you can’t always read into PR pictures of players for kit releases etc

But its always heavily centred around these three, which leads me to believe they probably aren’t kicking up a stink in the background and maybe we are hoping to hang onto them

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Winchester Red said:

Thanks, does your source know if WHU is a place he’d like to go?

Just now, Smirking_Saint said:

Not sure if this is a clever PR ploy or what, and I realise that you can’t always read into PR pictures of players for kit releases etc

But its always heavily centred around these three, which leads me to believe they probably aren’t kicking up a stink in the background and maybe we are hoping to hang onto them

You could look at that suitcase emoji and guess they've packed there bags...

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I think they're probably just the club's three most popular players

42 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

The need for a new start

We don’t, the club is comfortable with the risk and believes we can shift enough to keep us safe financially

We have relegation clauses active but again, see above

I agree with this, and the clubs working on it.. unfortunately Lyanco/Salisu deaks breaking down isn’t ideal but Diallo is gone and Id expect to see movement on Onuachu, Perraud etc soon

We’re trying but on our terms, again just allowing want away players to leave sends the wrong message as it did under Semmens but there is a balance

We are having a new start, new philosophies on/off the pitch.. namely possession under Wilcox and no longer push overs in the transfer windows 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

I think they're probably just the club's three most popular players

I think they probably are which is why Ive said don’t read a ton into it really but I doubt, for instance, you’d see Salisu/Perraud on these club propaganda pieces as they are pushing to leave

2 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Thanks, does your source know if WHU is a place he’d like to go?

I've not asked specifically but JWP is a bright guy so I suppose he knows his level.  He's not going to play for Man City or Liverpool.

Another snippet although not transfer related is that JB fell out with Ralph (easily done by the end) and was exiled to Villa.  He was very happy to come back as soon as he could.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Winchester Red said:

I've not asked specifically but JWP is a bright guy so I suppose he knows his level.  He's not going to play for Man City or Liverpool.

Another snippet although not transfer related is that JB fell out with Ralph (easily done by the end) and was exiled to Villa.  He was very happy to come back as soon as he could.

He has been rather consistent and good on his return to be fair to him.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1