Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

4 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Bassey looked really good in game I watched at Ajax but at Rangers my mate reckoned he was awful.

Just hope Salisu deal gets done and rid of

really? I saw him play a lot of Rangers in Europe and thought he was excellent. 

• Like 1

These references to Liverpools supposed interest in Lavia are exactly what they do. They the club or the fans or the media but probably all three have a very high level of arrogance about the Club. If they are selling then the value must be high (because they are a Liverpool player). If the club is buying then the value (promoted in media) will be whatever Liverpool want it to be because the player must be privileged to be wanted by Liverpool and the selling club must feel like Liverpool are doing them a favour. 

This attitude is worst at Liverpool and seems to have gotten worse during Klopps time there. Horrible club and fans. 

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

These references to Liverpools supposed interest in Lavia are exactly what they do. They the club or the fans or the media but probably all three have a very high level of arrogance about the Club. If they are selling then the value must be high (because they are a Liverpool player). If the club is buying then the value (promoted in media) will be whatever Liverpool want it to be because the player must be privileged to be wanted by Liverpool and the selling club must feel like Liverpool are doing them a favour. 

This attitude is worst at Liverpool and seems to have gotten worse during Klopps time there. Horrible club and fans. 

Total agreement, sums it up exactly

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dman said:

I have to say, I thought this when I saw the news broke. Bassey and Salisu are very similar players. 

Although he underwhelmed for us last season and I'll be glad to see the back of him, Salisu is a better player and represents better value for money than Bassey, imo. 

Salisu could be a superb player, just a case of how much he wants it imo.

1 hour ago, Dman said:

I see you keep saying this, but that counts for nothing if we don't go up. We are currently 2/3 weeks away from the first game of the season and still have no idea who will be playing for us next season and have a completely unmanageable squad size. We can't bring anyone in, until we let a few go. Martin himself acknowledged that... We'll miss out on our targets if we don't start to move players on very quickly. 

You need to strike a balance of not being bent over and shifting players who aren't going to be part of your squad. 

The players Leicester have sold, imo strikes that balance. 

Ive gone through this plenty of times and if you don’t have the mental capacity to understand I simply can’t be arsed explaining it every other week, but one last attempt

- Neither of us are guaranteed to go up, infact we could potentially both stay down, much better to get the best possible price to ensure our finances are ready for those eventualities 

- Those ‘targets’ arent necessarily required if, for instance, Tino, Lavia, JWP, Tella stays for this season… also most value signings happen towards the end of the window.. as they do every year

- Skewing Martins words there, who said thry’ve talked to targets and they’re happy to wait

- We can’t move players nobody wants… this isn’t FM.. theres no editor that you can just ditch players… Leicester have only moved players that clubs want.. valuable players under market value.. Im happy waiting

- Selling under value alerts clubs you are open for business and weakens your hands.. it also shows players you might want to keep that you’re happy to lose players under market value.. and so damage morale

Frankly its the last Im going to bother responding to you on this subject, if you don’t agree thats fine. Im not particularly worried, we have 2-3 weeks, im sure we have targets, we have plenty of time

• Like 15

56 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Ive gone through this plenty of times and if you don’t have the mental capacity to understand I simply can’t be arsed explaining it every other week, but one last attempt

- Neither of us are guaranteed to go up, infact we could potentially both stay down, much better to get the best possible price to ensure our finances are ready for those eventualities 

- Those ‘targets’ arent necessarily required if, for instance, Tino, Lavia, JWP, Tella stays for this season… also most value signings happen towards the end of the window.. as they do every year

- Skewing Martins words there, who said thry’ve talked to targets and they’re happy to wait

- We can’t move players nobody wants… this isn’t FM.. theres no editor that you can just ditch players… Leicester have only moved players that clubs want.. valuable players under market value.. Im happy waiting

- Selling under value alerts clubs you are open for business and weakens your hands.. it also shows players you might want to keep that you’re happy to lose players under market value.. and so damage morale

Frankly its the last Im going to bother responding to you on this subject, if you don’t agree thats fine. Im not particularly worried, we have 2-3 weeks, im sure we have targets, we have plenty of time

Agree to disagree, I suppose. Its not about mental capacity, its about a difference of opinion. 

Personal opinion, but our hand is not as strong as people like to make out.

Lavia isn't playing in the championship. He'll go and I suspect it'll be for less than the £50 we're demanding at the minute. Tino / JWP might give us a year, but if they do (and we don't go up), their value next summer will be way less than anything we could get this summer. 

Lets see how this all plays out. If we end up selling last week of the window, theres a good chance we'll be looking 3rd, 4th, 5th down our list of targets. People are happy to wait at the minute, but they'll start twitching as the window drags out. 

Edited by Dman

52 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Actually we have 11 days

1 hour ago, Dman said:

Agree to disagree, I suppose. Its not about mental capacity, its about a difference of opinion. 

Personal opinion, but our hand is not as strong as people like to make out.

Lavia isn't playing in the championship. He'll go and I suspect it'll be for less than the £50 we're demanding at the minute. Tino / JWP might give us a year, but if they do (and we don't go up), their value next summer will be way less than anything we could get this summer. 

Lets see how this all plays out. If we end up selling last week of the window, theres a good chance we'll be looking 3rd, 4th, 5th down our list of targets. People are happy to wait at the minute, but they'll start twitching as the window drags out. 

Which primary targets so far do you think we’ve missed out on due to our hard and fast stance on our valuations ?

We wanted Manning, so far we havn’t shifted a LB.. but we acted and we signed him

We wanted Charles, so far we’ve not shifted a CM/DM but we acted and we signed him

Other than that I doubt we were in for Coady, Winks, Doyle or Mavididi… atleast there are no obvious links in the press

So I would say, so far, standing firm hasn’t caused us any issues

• Like 2

Interestingly MacAnthony was talking about Saints today, and speaking to Rasmus… basically saying that he is a hard negotiator and he doesn’t expect us to lose players unless its on our terms

But what I found most interesting is he said he was talking to him recently about players…. I cant think of any we are potentially loaning to Boro… but it git me thinking…. We are linked to Ronnie Edwards ?

Might be nothing it in at all of course

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

What if Russell Martin REALLY wanted him though?

I'd be very surprised personally.

They'll know more than I do regarding how he does in possession, but both statistically and every time I've seen him play, he looks way off of what I assume we're expecting from our midfield.

Also worth noting that Watford have just turned down a buy-option following his loan there.

• Like 4

Just spoke to one of my mates who is a Watford fan, said he loved Choudhury and thinks the main reason they didn’t take up the buy option is their financial situation rather than the player not being good enough. Was rumours last week they might be hit with a transfer embargo, selling Sarr to Marseille and the sale of Pedro to Brighton already should keep that at bay.

Described him as a destroyer type that will win the ball and give the ball to team mates with short passes. Not great on the ball beyond that. Is this the steel we need to stop those counter attacks in transition? I’m not sure if Shea Charles can do this too? 

• Like 2

From SSN: (it’s fair to say West Ham have an extensive shortlist) 

—————-

West Ham: Palhinha, Ward-Prowse, Zakaria latest

After more talks, there is still a gap in valuation between what West Ham United are prepared to pay for midfielder Joao Palhinha and what Fulham want.

West Ham remain interested, but are deciding whether to go back in with an improved offer after having a £45m bid rejected earlier this month.

Any potential deal could be hampered after Palhinha suffered a suspected dislocated shoulder in Fulham’s Premier League Summer Series game against Brentford on Sunday.

West Ham are expected to push to sign Southampton captain James Ward-Prowse. 

It’s thought they are getting encouragement the player would be open to a move to the London Stadium. Ward-Prowse has three years left on his Southampton contract.

Talks, meanwhile, continue with Juventus over the signing of Denis Zakaria.

It’s understood they are still exploring the possibility of a deal for Chelsea’s Conor Gallagher.

Gallagher has featured heavily for Chelsea in pre-season. He has two years left on his contract and Chelsea are open to extending his stay. 

West Ham retain an interest in Monaco’s French international Youssof Fofana and remain keen on Manchester United’s Scott McTominay, while there is open dialogue with Ajax over Edson Alvarez

Edited by SuperSAINT

12 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

From SSN: (it’s fair to say West Ham have an extensive shortlist) 

—————-

West Ham: Palhinha, Ward-Prowse, Zakaria latest

After more talks, there is still a gap in valuation between what West Ham United are prepared to pay for midfielder Joao Palhinha and what Fulham want.

West Ham remain interested, but are deciding whether to go back in with an improved offer after having a £45m bid rejected earlier this month.

Any potential deal could be hampered after Palhinha suffered a suspected dislocated shoulder in Fulham’s Premier League Summer Series game against Brentford on Sunday.

West Ham are expected to push to sign Southampton captain James Ward-Prowse. 

It’s thought they are getting encouragement the player would be open to a move to the London Stadium. Ward-Prowse has three years left on his Southampton contract.

Talks, meanwhile, continue with Juventus over the signing of Denis Zakaria.

It’s understood they are still exploring the possibility of a deal for Chelsea’s Conor Gallagher.

Gallagher has featured heavily for Chelsea in pre-season. He has two years left on his contract and Chelsea are open to extending his stay. 

West Ham retain an interest in Monaco’s French international Youssof Fofana and remain keen on Manchester United’s Scott McTominay, while there is open dialogue with Ajax over Edson Alvarez

In other news… West Ham want a midfielder 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

It’s quite funny how any Premier League that buys a CM it’s immediately posted in here as a “phew, it’s not JWP”. This is tiresome now.

I think if he was going to leave he would have by now.

I wish I could feel the same way, he could just come out and say I'm not leaving or I don't want to leave.

50 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Just spoke to one of my mates who is a Watford fan, said he loved Choudhury and thinks the main reason they didn’t take up the buy option is their financial situation rather than the player not being good enough. Was rumours last week they might be hit with a transfer embargo, selling Sarr to Marseille and the sale of Pedro to Brighton already should keep that at bay.

Described him as a destroyer type that will win the ball and give the ball to team mates with short passes. Not great on the ball beyond that. Is this the steel we need to stop those counter attacks in transition? I’m not sure if Shea Charles can do this too? 

Sounds like Wanyama. 

7 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

It’s quite funny how any Premier League that buys a CM it’s immediately posted in here as a “phew, it’s not JWP”. This is tiresome now.

Except it isn't really greeted with "phew, it's not JWP" is it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, saintant said:

No thanks.

2 hours ago, ashnats said:

Yes please

Mmm... maybe.

We do need midfielders and Choudhury is a good age... but I've never seen much from him bar running about and making fouls. Mind you I didn't see him at Watford last year so maybe he's improved. We want a passing game. Can he pass well?

He was the top midfielder in the division for interceptions and interceptions per appearance (iirc) so I suspect that's where this is coming from...

Definitely a very combative midfielder who then keeps it simple and gives it to other people, which tbh, we might need based on the showing at Reading where people just managed to run through us at times.

Edited by CSA96
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

If we want a pure destroyer in the championship, will struggle to do better than Choudhury.

2 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Be very disappointed if we went for Choudhury, terrible footballer on the ball.

Annoying regarding the Salisu deal as well, hopefully Monaco are ready to bid.

Ahh....the beauties of a football forum....

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I think a more accurate summary is he's probably most clubs 4th, 5th or 6th choice and will only be moved for once all other avenues have been exhausted.  As with most of our players who will be gone by the end of the window.  Can't see many of them being a first choice pick.

2 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

Ahh....the beauties of a football forum....

Pure destroyer = not particularly gifted in possession.

It's actually the same opinion just dressed in a positive/negative light. I think the being bad on the ball part is more important due to the style RM is implementing, therefore it makes him a bad fit.

6 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Definitely a very combative midfielder who then keeps it simple and gives it to other people, which tbh, we might need based on the showing at Reading where people just managed to run through us at times.

Like a poor mans Wanyama..

57 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I think if he (JWP) was going to leave he would have by now.

Let me make a note of that. July 23rd. Transfers don't happen after this date. In the memory bank for future reference.    

• Haha 2