Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

I know we're trying to maintain a sustainable model in the long-term through player sales, but it's good to see the board aren't just accepting any offers for our best players and aren't acting like push overs despite the huge loss from last summer and January.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, manji said:

We aren’t worried about the money. When we needed to buy players in case we lost them Dragan put his hand in his pocket. I suspect we want to keep the bigger clubs guessing.

Its just what Ive heard really, we’re pushing for promotion this year, and pushing hard.. we’re comfortable with our finances but also aware we will lose players that will cover most costs anyway

Issues will begin to arise if we are not close in Jan and we’ll have to reassess if still a Champ club next year

But currently there are no issues and we’re comfortable extracting as much value as possible from outgoings

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Its just what Ive heard really, we’re pushing for promotion this year, and pushing hard.. we’re comfortable with our finances but also aware we will lose players that will cover most costs anyway

Issues will begin to arise if we are not close in Jan and we’ll have to reassess if still a Champ club next year

But currently there are no issues and we’re comfortable extracting as much value as possible from outgoings

which is good news. I hope we are able to bring in a quality striker and CM when we move players on, which could be right at the end of the window

23 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Good to hear. Given Newcastle's money and champions league status you'd expect it to still happen (unfortunately as i was very keen to see him playing in the championship for us). Part of me would like us to dig our heels in even more given how miserly(and seemingly negotiating via media) they are being in coming towards our valuation.

Agree. Retaining him in this league likely to depend on who goes out the door before him in terms of the big money draws. Hopefully that’s the SR strategy. Would be brilliant to retain Livramento, Alacaraz, Sulemana and Tella and bring in players like Manning alongside. Find a target man who can finish with that kind of attacking intent supporting them and we will be in for a very exciting season. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I think not bringing a new striker in before the start of the season would be a mistake and could cost us regardless of who goes. 

you could easily have written this on 22 July 2022 and just done a copy and paste job for today 😞

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Is Adams guaranteed to be worse than someone like Piroe in that scenario?

Personally I'd take a player who has proven they can work under our current manager and who is most recently in form over a player who performed in this league with different players and teams a few years ago and who has just been relegated and is out of form. I think there would be a noticeable difference. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I think not bringing a new striker in before the start of the season would be a mistake and could cost us regardless of who goes. 

I think it depends who we end up with really, there’s not been a huge movement anywhere in the striker market so far

Id be hugely surprised if we don’t have targets ready to go

Im more worried that we still have a squad of 29 senior players, none of which are including the 18 and unders

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I think it depends who we end up with really, there’s not been a huge movement anywhere in the striker market so far

Id be hugely surprised if we don’t have targets ready to go

Im more worried that we still have a squad of 29 senior players, none of which are including the 18 and unders

I'm surprised we haven't had more links for the likes of ABK, KWP, Sulemana, Adams etc. Not that I want them all to go but some of them will have to. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I'm surprised we haven't had more links for the likes of ABK, KWP, Sulemana, Adams etc. Not that I want them all to go but some of them will have to. 

I certainly thought KWP would have multiple suitors. Maybe he has. Not everything reaches the press.

Sulemana and ABK will have high price tags for two players that didn't exactly have stella seasons. If we want £25m+ for Sulemena, there will be some nervousness as to whether he is the real deal.

Adams has been linked with half of the Premiership. 

16 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I'm surprised a few haven't departed. I thought Salisu would have had a side lined up - maybe he has, but we wont budge on price). I thought Lavia deal would  have bene done early as he is the real talent, but we obviously don't intend to `take what is given' and that will inevitably slow negotiations down.

22 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I'm also baffled that there isn't interest in KWP. He'll only have a year left on his contract next summer so it will cost us more to keep him

Perhaps he’s happy here but there’s work being done on a contract extension and the club have told agents/suitors he’s not being sold? Pure speculation of course.

• Haha 1

Our attacking players at the moment are

Alcarez

Sulemana

Che Adams

Tella

Ounachu

Aribo

A Armstrong

S Armstrong

Mara

Djenepo

Edozie

Plus several younger players on the verge of the squad(or in it). 

Most of those are good enough to be involved with a promotion push (if well managed!). 

I bet the three promoted teams from last year would have taken most of those 12 months ago. 

How many will be used in a game? 6? 

I can see why we may want some to go. 

Personally I think Stu and Ounachu should go. I hope Tella, Alcarez and Sulemana stay, the rest I'm open minded. 

Goal scorers can be hard to predict, Adam Armstrong has scored before so has ability, but looked so short of confidence last season, you could see him tighten up or look desperately for a Pass. Maybe he can go on a run? He looked relaxed and finished comfortably against Liverpool when the pressure was off. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, West end Saints said:

Our attacking players at the moment are

Alcarez - stay

Sulemana - stay

Che Adams - go

Tella - stay

Ounachu - go

Aribo - go

A Armstrong - go

S Armstrong - go

Mara - stay

Djenepo - go

Edozie - stay

Plus several younger players on the verge of the squad(or in it).

I’ve added my take above on who should stay or go… keep 5, get Piroe. We need a completely different mindset in the forward line of players.

• Like 2

How reliable is Talk Sport? They are saying the Livra deal is not done

The Magpies are believed to have offered £30million for the right-back, who has made five appearances for the England U21s.

However, this is way below Southampton’s valuation, with the Championship newcomers wanting £50million.

https://talksport.com/football/1508055/

Edit: I see it's Alex Crook

Edited by Golac's Cunning Stunts

29 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

How reliable is Talk Sport? They are saying the Livra deal is not done

The Magpies are believed to have offered £30million for the right-back, who has made five appearances for the England U21s.

However, this is way below Southampton’s valuation, with the Championship newcomers wanting £50million.

https://talksport.com/football/1508055/

Edit: I see it's Alex Crook

Been covered by both Alfie House and Adam Blackmore so Id say pretty reliable 

1 hour ago, Baird of the land said:

Can't see us selling him for less or equal to what we bought him, which was £22m wasn't it.  $22M euros is the max they've spent as far as i can see. So seems unlikely they'll match our valuation.

we ‘want’ around 20m for him if the rumours are to be believed, it feels a lot for a CB with only 1 year left but the market is very inflated this year

12 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Really weird if this is anything less than £20m.

Disappointed to see him go. There's a great player in there, although I'm not sure where he fits into Martin's style of play so it's understandable. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

if we get the asking price for any player they will go. 
Our squad is too big and needs work and to get what we need anyone can go

At some point the club has to get to a schneiderlin point and go X,Y quality players aren't leaving regardless of the fee if they have any intention of getting promoted

• Like 2

Don't worry guys, it isn't from anyone reliable. Just another Twitter chancer, seeing Romano's Tweet and trying to build a following by claiming a deal is further ahead than what it actually is, so that if it does happen he can reveal he broke it first.

You never see these people link us with a player that hasn't already been linked by the mainstream media.

• Like 1

Just now, HarvSFC said:

Don't worry guys, it isn't from anyone reliable. Just another Twitter chancer, seeing Romano's Tweet and trying to build a following by claiming a deal is further ahead than what it actually is, so that if it does happen he can reveal he broke it first.

You never see these people link us with a player that hasn't already been linked by the mainstream media.

He was the first to break Manning to us, he definitely has links.

4 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

He’s definitely reliable 

May I ask why people are upset about Sulemana going? For me, he’s among the players we wasted a colossal amount of cash on last season. The game against Liverpool was as dead rubber as they come, I’m sorry to say. Alcaraz and Lavia were the only good signings last season and would expect both to go before the window ends.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Have to assume there's a player attitude calculation if we are selling Sulemana as i struggle to see us getting value in sale in terms of profit generated versus what we spent in January.

I think its more the fact we have an abundance of forward players and likely only 3 positions + 2/3 subs to accommodate them

Hopefully the fee is close to what we paid, its a real shame as If like to see how he does this year but if its a name out and allows us to keep Tella, sign a more suited forward player Im ok with it

3 minutes ago, Maggie May said:

May I ask why people are upset about Sulemana going? For me, he’s among the players we wasted a colossal amount of cash on last season. The game against Liverpool was as dead rubber as they come, I’m sorry to say. Alcaraz and Lavia were the only good signings last season and would expect both to go before the window ends.

Tend to agree, if he hadn’t come to life in that game nobody would care about him going. He doesn’t strike me as a player that will come to the party on a wet night in Coventry in mid December.

3 hours ago, Chez said:

I'm surprised a few haven't departed. I thought Salisu would have had a side lined up - maybe he has, but we wont budge on price). I thought Lavia deal would  have bene done early as he is the real talent, but we obviously don't intend to `take what is given' and that will inevitably slow negotiations down.

Which is fantastic news. I will be ecstatic if KWP, Salisu, Lavia and Sulemana are still our players in September. 

3 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Which is fantastic news. I will be ecstatic if KWP, Salisu, Lavia and Sulemana are still our players in September. 

I doubt  KWP, Salisu, Lavia Tino and Sulemana will be ecstatic if they are still our players in September. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Tend to agree, if he hadn’t come to life in that game nobody would care about him going. He doesn’t strike me as a player that will come to the party on a wet night in Coventry in mid December.

To be fair even Coventry players don’t come to the party on a wet night in Coventry in mid December 

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

At some point the club has to get to a schneiderlin point and go X,Y quality players aren't leaving regardless of the fee if they have any intention of getting promoted

The way I see it, we have an owner that is backing us, and we are setting high prices for our best assets. The first prices to get met will be the few that are sold, and we'll keep whatever is left. The price we're setting for players is an extra strategic layer on that aimed at at least trying to focus the likely sales... some we don't want to sell we've set really high, some we setting a reasonably expensive price for and will allow to leave if its met, and others we're actively trying to shift. It will be a case of who blinks first... If by some miracle no other club gets desperate and comes in then we'll lower our prices - but it's advantage saints in every regard as it stands... And it's nice to have an owner prepared to be tough, hasn't happened since cortese was calling the shots. 

I.e. Top clubs know that if they want lavia they have to move before city's clause kicks in next summer, sides like west ham physically have to sign a CM, other clubs will miss defensive targets etc. It is very unlikely that with all the pressures in all the various leagues, no club gets desperate enough to pay what we want or reach a reasonably expensive compromise. 

Around all that you have two kinds of overly negative viewpoints from some of the fanbase - one where some fans believe we have no power as a club and will be forced to sell all our best players 🙄🙄, and ones that seem to think every rumour of a player being linked away at a low price is true... 🙄🙄🙄. There is also that particularly odd view raised on here earlier this summer that man City can tell us who we sell lavia to and that we couldn't possibly ask for more than £32M-40M because of our side agreement with city...😂🤣

The only way we'll drop our prices is if its late in the window and we've not made either 1 big sale or enough smaller ones. 

So I remain fully comfortable with how the window is going personally - we're showing strength and ambition so far. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

So we've rejected two bids from Monaco for Salisu. Can't believe he's part of our long term plans so anything near what we paid for him (£11m) and he should be out the door. 

Are you kidding? He will stay no doubt about that and will be a superb player for us. Head and shoulders above anybody else we've got and with the right coaching will be a world class CB. Come on if you had to choose between Stephens & Salisu, who would you choose if your livelihood depended on it.