Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

9 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

He tweeted it when it had already been linked from other sources. 😅

He’s as reliable as Alex Crooks and Talksport; just rehashes stories already doing the rounds and claims he has sources. 

You’re wrong. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Don’t mock I’m a genuine ITK I will keep you posted but you might need to look for cryptic clues so I don’t blow my source 

if you are in the circle of trust you’d have got a PM

Are you a Scottish bloke, in Kenya?

35 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

He’s as reliable as Alex Crooks and Talksport; just rehashes stories already doing the rounds and claims he has sources. 

Exactly this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Not true, he was first on those stories, by a good bit of time.

He isn't a chancer, he has clearly got a source in the club. It's not as if Southampton have a massive following on Twitter, yet he Tweets about Everton (the team he supports) and Southampton.

He's been very reliable, don't need people who haven't been paying attention to knock down people with proven sources.

1 hour ago, SaintsFan86 said:

If true.....for somebody who only has 1 year left on his contract and has zero interest in staying with us, that would be a great deal.

Yes, he may have a high ceiling with his potential but in all honesty he hasnt improved as much as we thought he would

• Like 5

2 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Fantastic fee.

He’s a very good defender in one on one situations but he’s not a great footballer with the ball. He’s also prone to a mistake/sloppy play. 

i think he’s the kind of player who has a purple patch and a great run of games where he looks like a world beater by putting in the odd eye catching tackle but for the main part in every other aspect of his game he’s very replaceable.

Personally thought he was our worst performing Center back last season (admitting Lyanco) and was one of the reasons the bad run of results started. (Said so at the time to friends) I wasn’t surprised to see him dropped.

We’ve been blessed with top quality CBs since our return to the prem (VVD, Lovren, Alderweireld) I was hopefully based on the first few performances we’d found another in Salisu but after a few seasons I don’t think he’s at their level and personally don’t think he’ll ever get close to it, if anything his performances have been on the decline for the last 18 months.

whether that’s been due to a commitment issue to the club (or even his professionalism) or not, I don’t know. 

id much rather see stephens at CB than Salisu. I think Salisu offers more as an out and out defender but stephens overall game is better

• Like 5

So who are the players we think will definitely be here in September? Are we thinking:

GK: Baz/McCarthy

RB: Bree/Abu/Payne

LB: Manning/Larios/Meghoma

CB: Bednarek/Stephens

CM: Charles/Smallbone/Doyle

AM/Wingers: Amo-Ameyaw/Edozie/Djenepo

Str: Mara/AA/Ballard

Does that seem about right? 

Then you have:

Jewels: JWP, Lavia, Livramento, KWP, Sulemana, Alcaraz, Tella, ABK, Salisu, Adams - would we really ship out all 10?

Other players that could be moved on: Onuachu, SArmstrong, DCC, Perraud, Lyanco, Aribo, Small + other youth like Finnegan, Simeu etc

I don't think we will lose every jewel but we may struggle to keep most of them if the offers start coming in (and Salisu's transfer is imminent). ABK being injured may mean he stays at least until January. Alcaraz has made positive noises about staying too and I hope he does, Tella too. Does Aribo really have a future? It seems like a LOT of "outs" could still happen which would leave our squad (pre-bringing people in) quite small.

We definitely need a new spine.

• Like 1

About Alex Crook, to be fair to him, he faked it until he made it. He started off as a chancer on Twitter but now he actually has multiple contacts in the game and is definitely ITK. Not as reliable as Fabrizio, sure, but he isn’t at ‘FootyTransferRumours.com’ level anymore. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, niceandfriendly said:

About Alex Crook, to be fair to him, he faked it until he made it. He started off as a chancer on Twitter but now he actually has multiple contacts in the game and is definitely ITK. Not as reliable as Fabrizio, sure, but he isn’t at ‘FootyTransferRumours.com’ level anymore. 

He still posts news AFTER other people & pretends to have contacts all over Europe. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Turkish said:

Don’t mock I’m a genuine ITK I will keep you posted but you might need to look for cryptic clues so I don’t blow my source 

if you are in the circle of trust you’d have got a PM

You’ve been telling that exact same “joke” for, let’s see, about 6 transfer windows now. It’s as tedious as Saints not signing the striker we clearly need for, let’s see, about 6 transfer windows.

I do hope this transfer window sees the back of both those things.

• Like 3

Our old friend Nixon saying we are leading rhe race for Ross Stewart.

Not seen much of him before but certainly looks to have something about him and a very good goal record for Sunderland, albeit currently recovering from injury.

One to watch perhaps, or maybe just Nixon helping him earn a new deal at Sunderland.

2 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Our old friend Nixon saying we are leading rhe race for Ross Stewart.

Not seen much of him before but certainly looks to have something about him and a very good goal record for Sunderland, albeit currently recovering from injury.

One to watch perhaps, or maybe just Nixon helping him earn a new deal at Sunderland.

I'd be quite disappointed if that was the striker charged with firing us to promotion given his injury record. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, niceandfriendly said:

Massively disagree. He still posts news after it’s been announced.

Let’s not forget Danny Ings and Ryan Bertrand’s contract extensions are due to be announced imminently. 

• Haha 1

Ross Stewart looks decent imo. Scores with both feet, and his head. Has something about him. I'd be happy with him, and Piroe aside, I can't think of another Championship striker of want us to get.

And these reviews of journalists are bloody dull. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Massively disagree. He still posts news after it’s been announced.

Let’s not forget Danny Ings and Ryan Bertrand’s contract extensions are due to be announced imminently. 

And we had no interest in Charlie Austin, he signed the next day 🤣🤣

37 minutes ago, egg said:

Ross Stewart looks decent imo. Scores with both feet, and his head. Has something about him. I'd be happy with him, and Piroe aside, I can't think of another Championship striker of want us to get.

I don’t know much about him other than what’s been said on here, why would Sunderland sell to what should be a promotion rival?

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I don’t know much about him other than what’s been said on here, why would Sunderland sell to what should be a promotion rival?

He's only got a year left on his contract so I guess they'll want the cash. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, egg said:

From what I can tell it doesn’t look as if he’ll be fully fit for start of the season so not sure I would risk it after a bad injury.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

From what I can tell it doesn’t look as if he’ll be fully fit for start of the season so not sure I would risk it after a bad injury.

Yeah it’s being said he won’t be fit at the start of the season which means he won’t have had a preseason so won’t really be up to speed until November time. Sounds a risky move 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wade Garrett said:

Won’t miss Salisu and his pea-sized heart.  Hope old glass-back Bella-Kotchup goes as well.

Agree. Maybe Borussia Monchenglassback are one of the German clubs after him. 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Just now, Turkish said:

Yeah it’s being said he won’t be fit at the start of the season which means he won’t have had a preseason so won’t really be up to speed until November time. Sounds a risky move 

Good point. Not many championship strikers out there who'd improve us. Maybe we'll see big Sam Gallagher back. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Sounds like the kind of signing we'd be all in for then.

13 minutes ago, bangkoksaint said:

Sunderland or Southampton? On every level, whether personal or professional we should be a better option. That said I’m not at all convinced about his injury record.

He's had a bad achilles injury and a couple of hamstrings but I'm not sure this is the sort of recurring thing we should be worried about into the future?

Just now, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Even if we are being linked with Ross Stewart, I can't help the feeling we'll still have Joel Piroe as first choice, if we can get over the whole Russell Martin appointment 'negotiation'.

I thjbk they are considered different attacking options tbh.

Stewart will be considered a CF whereas Piroe will prob be playing deeper or from the right/left of attack. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Even if we are being linked with Ross Stewart, I can't help the feeling we'll still have Joel Piroe as first choice, if we can get over the whole Russell Martin appointment 'negotiation'.

If it comes to it Swansea will add on another £500k and Saints will pay it. 

• Haha 1

Just now, SotonianWill said:

Leicester have already been put off the price of him without our saints tax. I doubt we’d spunk 20 big ones on him tbh.

Tbh they were put off paying £7 Million for Callum Doyle. 

I don't think Piroe is going to cost as much as £20Million.

2 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

Leicester have already been put off the price of him without our saints tax. I doubt we’d spunk 20 big ones on him tbh.

I meant £12.5m to be fair. He’s not worth more than that and I think Swansea know it. 

24 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Could be wrong but I thought Martin's comments about Armstrong being like Piroe quite telling. Not sure you'd be saying that publicly if you were a few weeks away from signing Piroe himself. 

That said, Martin made clear in his press conference that there are players we've spoke to who are interested in joining us but also happy to remain patient whilst we sort out transfers. Piroe possibly but especially Downes comes to mind.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

Leicester, for the 1000th time are skint… they couldn’t even agree a permanent deal for Doyle because of it

Leeds or Europe are our biggest rivals in the Piroe race,

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Leicester, for the 1000th time are skint… they couldn’t even agree a permanent deal for Doyle because of it

point still stands they asked for circa £20 million according to what I read before. Can’t see us paying that. 

Edited by SotonianWill
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

What do you base your assumption on? Not willing to overpay does not equate to being skint. 

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I'd be quite disappointed if that was the striker charged with firing us to promotion given his injury record. 

I recall saying something similar about the £20m transfer fee for Ings.

Stewart had two injuries last season, but not sure he missed many games in the season before that. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, egg said:

What do you base your assumption on? Not willing to overpay does not equate to being skint. 

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-would-face-brutal-8427544

https://www.thefosseway.net/viewpoint/leicester-city-2023-relegation-financial-fair-play-finances-parachute-payments-money

Edited by waylander
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, waylander said:

Cheers. I'd seen that previously. It's the opinion of a podcast dude and says nothing of note over the obvious, ie TV money will drop, they had a big wage bill, will be in trouble 'if' players don't have relegation clauses, etc. It's just the generic stuff that applies to all teams relegated from the PL. I've seen nothing to suggest that Leicester are skint. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, egg said:

Cheers. I'd seen that previously. It's the opinion of a podcast dude and says nothing of note over the obvious, ie TV money will drop, they had a big wage bill, will be in trouble 'if' players don't have relegation clauses, etc. It's just the generic stuff that applies to all teams relegated from the PL. I've seen nothing to suggest that Leicester are skint. 

I remember reading earlier in pre-season that Leicester had effectively borrowed against future premier league tv monies and that the loan in question will shortly have to be repaid. Given those TV monies will no longer be payable to the club, issues around their poor financial situation were being discussed. I’m sure somebody with more time on their hands 😉 can find the article in question…

2 minutes ago, InvictaSaint said:

I remember reading earlier in pre-season that Leicester had effectively borrowed against future premier league tv monies and that the loan in question will shortly have to be repaid. Given those TV monies will no longer be payable to the club, issues around their poor financial situation were being discussed. I’m sure somebody with more time on their hands 😉 can find the article in question…

They may have borrowed. We have too. At the end of the day, all clubs relegated from the PL will have to swallow massive financial cuts, sell players, etc. Then there's players walking on frees or being sold cheap as contracts have run down. Leicester, Leeds and all the other championship big guns will doubtless look at us and assume we'll struggle. 

3 hours ago, egg said:

Far more importantly the Sunderland fans have given him the nickname "Loch Ness Drogba".

Sign him up just on that basis .....  We need to sign more players with ready made nicknames ....

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Chewy said:

You’ve been telling that exact same “joke” for, let’s see, about 6 transfer windows now. It’s as tedious as Saints not signing the striker we clearly need for, let’s see, about 6 transfer windows.

I do hope this transfer window sees the back of both those things.

99FEDD36-F493-4E8D-A2E7-DB5FDFB9682E.jpeg

• Haha 4