Who leaves if we are relegated?

stevy777_x

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Anyone else a bit excited for our potential if we get our managerial appointment right?

I agree that next season in the championship has the potential and all the ingredients to be a good one... However.... One's excitement is tempered by the inevitably that we'll screw things up, starting with a piss poor managerial appointment... 

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, trousers said:

I agree that next season in the championship has the potential and all the ingredients to be a good one... However.... One's excitement is tempered by the inevitably that we'll screw things up, starting with a piss poor managerial appointment... 

In theory we should be a very in demand job. Probably one of the favourites to get promotion given our resources and the chance to raise your profile whilst looking good doing it. I hope we throw our financial weight around and go and buy some of the best players from some of the other teams. 

• Like 1

A mate of mine reckons Adam Armstrong is off to Ipswich. You just know he'll score a few next season against us. 

Fully expecting KWP, Lavia, Adams, JWP, ABK, Salisu, DCC, Orsic to go.  Possibly Alcaraz too. Walcott - might be worth keeping him for next season if he wants to sign a reduced contract. Can't see us signing AMN cos he's shite, but I guess as a squad option in the Champ, he might be some kind of asset.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Anyone else a bit excited for our potential if we get our managerial appointment right? We are going to make a shed load of money from selling about five of our players and we will have some decent players left in the championship. Imo if we had something like this I would be happy. 

New gk 

Livramento new cb Stephens Perraud 

New rm smallbone new cm Sulemana 

Alcaraz 

New striker 

Now we may not keep all of them but that's a potentially decent haul. 

Yep, sounds daft but very excited. 

I think a season (or 2) in the championship will do our young squad the world of good, as shown by the likes of Tella / Smallbone. 

I think Edozie could be a real asset in the league below as will (a returning from long term injury) Tino. 

I actually think the success of people like Vincent Kompany will play into our favour. It’s shown that being successful at that level can get you linked to some of the big boys. I could feasibly see someone like Vieria dropping down (if we can sell him the project). 

If we could keep Sulemana / Alcaraz, goals or more creating chances, shouldn’t be an issue for us next season. 

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

Yep, sounds daft but very excited. 

I think a season (or 2) in the championship will do our young squad the world of good, as shown by the likes of Tella / Smallbone. 

I think Edozie could be a real asset in the league below as will (a returning from long term injury) Tino. 

I actually think the success of people like Vincent Kompany will play into our favour. It’s shown that being successful at that level can get you linked to some of the big boys. I could feasibly see someone like Vieria dropping down (if we can sell him the project). 

If we could keep Sulemana / Alcaraz, goals or more creating chances, shouldn’t be an issue for us next season. 

Agree...one thing we will need is goals...Not just a striker that will get 20+, but a decent contribution from around the team.

10 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Agree...one thing we will need is goals...Not just a striker that will get 20+, but a decent contribution from around the team.

I don't think we have any chance of keeping tella but that would go some way to giving us goals. If we sell him, we should have a load of money to get that exact player. Alcaraz, Sulemana, Tella or replacement, Edozie and a new striker is an exciting attacking force. 

6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I don't think we have any chance of keeping tella but that would go some way to giving us goals. If we sell him, we should have a load of money to get that exact player. Alcaraz, Sulemana, Tella or replacement, Edozie and a new striker is an exciting attacking force. 

We do have a chance of keeping Tella - we tell him he's staying with us. Unless of course we get an offer we can't refuse!

Just now, AlexLaw76 said:

when do we ever do that?

Well, in theory that's how it should work....the assumption is that he's contracted to us, and comes back for pre-season etc with the rest. If someone offers big bucks then ship him off. There's no divine right to a transfer just because you were on loan to a team that got promoted. What should we accept though? I expect £20m+ would work - but given he's torn up the championship we should be looking to hold on to him.

26 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

We need goals, plus some better creativity. I think it's highly likely we'll have Smallbone and Tella back with us next season, unless we need the money and get offered decent wedge for Tella.

Starting next season with something like the below in simplistic terms...

Bazunu

Livramento Bednarek NEW CB Perraud

SArmstrong New DM Smallbone

NEW NEW Tella

With possible places for Sulemena, Alcaraz, Mara, Aribo, Djenepo, Edozie, Diallo, Larios, Walcott....

Realistically we need a New experienced CB, an experienced DM, and a known goalscorer in that division, and it wouldnt be looking too bad. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

We need goals, plus some better creativity. I think it's highly likely we'll have Smallbone and Tella back with us next season, unless we need the money and get offered decent wedge for Tella.

Bazunu

NEW NEW Tella

With possible places for Sulemena, Alcaraz, Mara, Aribo, Djenepo, Edozie, Diallo, Larios, Walcott....

Realistically we need a New experienced CB, an experienced DM, and a known goalscorer in that division, and it wouldnt be looking too bad. 

The out of contract Walcott?

That’s not a bad set of players. Everybody seems to overlook James Bree but from what I’ve seen he looks like he’s quite useful.

• Like 4

I worry because there is just so much to do within a couple of months and if we don't make a good start then it will get worse rather than better.

We currently have no Manager, Head of Recruitment or Academy Director so not ideal in terms of planning.

We will lose a lot of players but perhaps not early enough to use the cash to get in players we want. Highly likely we will have players in pre season who know they won't be there in August and whose attitudes might not be the best.

We will have players who we think will stay who are probably unhappy and will want to leave or feel they have done enough to stay in the PL (potentially the likes of Livramento, Alcaraz).

We probably have top Academy players who will be being pressured to leave.

We will likely have very few players with either a.) Championship experience b.) Proven PL ability c.) A goal record at any level.

In key positions, especially CB and CM we may be left with pretty much no senior players, certainly in midfield where its possible that all.of JWP, Lavia, AMN and Diallo leave. Is it realistic to sign a whole new CM group who are one of the best in the league and have them ready to go for the first game? IMO unlikely.

The usual advantage relegated PL teams have is that a few players who stay are clearly top level Champ players, I am not sure I can see many to whom that will apply - possibly Bazunu (if he regains confidence and stays), Livramento (if fit and stays) and Sulemana (if he finds some end product and stays).

As soon as we are confirmed as relegated hopefully they will get on with making key appointments.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Bazunu

NEW NEW Tella

Personally I'd prefer to not have Bednarek but that's just me.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Dusic said:

I worry because there is just so much to do within a couple of months and if we don't make a good start then it will get worse rather than better.

We currently have no Manager, Head of Recruitment or Academy Director so not ideal in terms of planning.

We will lose a lot of players but perhaps not early enough to use the cash to get in players we want. Highly likely we will have players in pre season who know they won't be there in August and whose attitudes might not be the best.

We will have players who we think will stay who are probably unhappy and will want to leave or feel they have done enough to stay in the PL (potentially the likes of Livramento, Alcaraz).

We probably have top Academy players who will be being pressured to leave.

We will likely have very few players with either a.) Championship experience b.) Proven PL ability c.) A goal record at any level.

In key positions, especially CB and CM we may be left with pretty much no senior players, certainly in midfield where its possible that all.of JWP, Lavia, AMN and Diallo leave. Is it realistic to sign a whole new CM group who are one of the best in the league and have them ready to go for the first game? IMO unlikely.

The usual advantage relegated PL teams have is that a few players who stay are clearly top level Champ players, I am not sure I can see many to whom that will apply - possibly Bazunu (if he regains confidence and stays), Livramento (if fit and stays) and Sulemana (if he finds some end product and stays).

As soon as we are confirmed as relegated hopefully they will get on with making key appointments.

Top championship players I would say are Livramento, Sulemana, Alcaraz, Smallbone maybe?, Edozie maybe?

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Personally I'd prefer to not have Bednarek but that's just me.

I think bednerak has been brilliant since returning, seems to have completely changed his attitude and looks to genuinely give a shit. 

one of the few is actually keep. 

Dare i say it, even a potential captain next season…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dman said:

I think bednerak has been brilliant since returning, seems to have completely changed his attitude and looks to genuinely give a shit. 

one of the few is actually keep. 

Dare i say it, even a potential captain next season…

I think you have a low bar if you think he's been brilliant. Personally I'd try to get Stephens back and make him captain. 

Stephens, Smallbone and Tella (if by some miracle he stayed) is a nice British spine of players who know the league. 

53 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

1) ....except that Nathan Tella is under contract to us until summer 2025.  He'd be first choice in a Saints team and he knows how to play in the Championship.

There's no guarantee that Burnley will do well , with or without him.      IF  he were to go?  we'd need an really big offer that no-one could refuse 

bearing in mind we've just spent 40 million on TWO strikers who don't  get regular game time under this manager, or score when they do get on the pitch.

2) Mmm...a new striker in an attacking force.(!)...that would be a novelty after all these sad years.     IMHO we need at least two real goalscorers.

Maybe " tall Paul " would get some game time (under another manager) and we might even play with two real wingers / wing backs in a formation that players like.

IF.." a relegated Saints" are serious about getting back to the Prem. in short order, we need another Pelle,  Mane or a Lambert who can find the net regularly.

Looking at the current promotion candidates...  Burnley have scored 84 goals, and even 4th placed Midd'boro have clocked up 83 already. 

It's a strain on the memory to recall when Saints last scored that many.... in any league. ?. 

The Championship is a minefield of  24 clubs of vastly varying abilities, who play on uneven pitches and pack their squads with tough guys, who play

long ball tactics and have defenders who tackle hard  and " don't take prisoners".    Skill takes second place on pitches that will look like a ploughed field

by New Year, and don't get repaired afterwards.   We will need a good group of determined CB's and  Midfielders who can match them,  and very few

in our present squad of players are even  6 feet tall, and many are fairly " lightweight " by comparison. 

A lot will depend on who will manage / coach the club after the summer,  a.t.m. ... I see no obvious names to enthrall over ....

7 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Is it too much to ask to sign players that are capable of playing a whole game without having to be subbed off?

I'm not sure if that isn't just a weird Selles quirk rather than the players themselves. The likes of Alcaraz should really be playing every minute of every game that they are fit. Someone like Sulemana it makes a bit more sense to use more tactically. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

I don't think we have any chance of keeping tella but that would go some way to giving us goals.  

1 hour ago, LeBizzier69 said:

We do have a chance of keeping Tella - we tell him he's staying with us. 

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

when do we ever do that?

1 hour ago, LeBizzier69 said:

Well, in theory that's how it should work....the assumption is that he's contracted to us, and comes back for pre-season etc with the rest. 

20 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

Nathan Tella is under contract to us until summer 2025.  He'd be first choice in a Saints team and he knows how to play in the Championship.

The bottom line is that there is no point keeping a player that doesn't want to be here. The "putting our foot down" approach to a player who would rather be elsewhere rarely works out well IMO.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, trousers said:

The bottom line is that there is no point keeping a player that doesn't want to be here. The "putting our foot down" approach to a player who would rather be elsewhere rarely works out well IMO.

It's a win win for us. If for some reason we stays then we have an exciting player with championship experience. If we sell him then we are going to get a relative bucket load of cash for someone that we didn't really rate a year ago. If he had flopped at Burnley we would probably have had to have kept him when we wouldn't want to. I reckon we will sell and hopefully we can utilise the cash well. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

It's a win win for us. If for some reason we stays then we have an exciting player with championship experience. If we sell him then we are going to get a relative bucket load of cash for someone that we didn't really rate a year ago. If he had flopped at Burnley we would probably have had to have kept him when we wouldn't want to. I reckon we will sell and hopefully we can utilise the cash well. 

Agree, but I would hold fire on any optimism for the last point.... :)

9 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I think you have a low bar if you think he's been brilliant. Personally I'd try to get Stephens back and make him captain. 

Stephens, Smallbone and Tella (if by some miracle he stayed) is a nice British spine of players who know the league. 

Ha, true. Brilliant in relative terms. 

I should have said, he’s surprised me. 

Agree RE stephens. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Bazunu

NEW NEW Tella

A basis for optimism in terms of a group relatively untainted by association with the current shitshow.  As others have said Stephens would be good in the middle and Bree certainly an option alongside.  Will likely be too much to ask for but would like a solid, experienced keeper with Bazunu number 2 or out on loan - work experience not what we need.  Pray for an early cull with new manager in place and critical attention given to putting the spine of the team in place for pre-season.    

2 hours ago, david in sweden said:

Skill takes second place on pitches that will look like a ploughed field by New Year, and don't get repaired afterwards.   

championship pitches aren't a great deal different from Prem pitches. And besides, no matter what the conditions, skill is still essential.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, david in sweden said:

The Championship is a minefield of  24 clubs of vastly varying abilities, who play on uneven pitches and pack their squads with tough guys, who play

long ball tactics and have defenders who tackle hard  and " don't take prisoners".    Skill takes second place on pitches that will look like a ploughed field

We're only being relegated to the Football League Championship, we're not being relegated to 1983.

• Like 2
  • Haha 17

I'd like to see us build around

Tella, Sulemana, Alcaraz, Livramento, Smallbone, Bazunu

Develop Doyle, Ballard 

Bring in a Def Mid with experience someone who doesn't mess about and can lead. 

Strikers Mara and try and keep Onuachu I reckon he could offer user something if willing to stay. 

If we can't keep Onuachu then Mara, Ballard and go and get another with a good record at this level. 

Keep Bednerek and Stephens and possibly Lyanco I reckon he could do a jog in champ and strengthen with another experienced defender.

The group of players I'd like to retain - not only because I think they would do a good job for us in the Championship, but a decent manager (if appointed) could get a proper turn out of them.

I've left out the likely sales - Lavia, JWP, KWP, Tella and Salisu, which could fetch us close to £120m and those out of contract/end of loan.

GK- Bazunu

Full back - Livramento, Bree, Perraud

CB - ABK, DCC

RW/LW - Sulemana, Edozie, S Armstrong, Aribo

CM - Alcaraz, Smallbone

FW - Adams, Mara, Onuachu

We also have the likes of Ballard, Doyle, Dibling, Amo-Ameyaw, Larios and Edwards who should get some exposure during a near 50 game season.

Would be happy to see the back of McCarthy, Stephens, Bednarek, Lyanco, Diallo, Orsic, A Armstrong and Djenepo. While some of them may be able to offer something at Championship level, we already have a bloated squad and we should be looking at building a team capable of being competitive in the PL should we return again.

Unlikely to see a cull of this size, but one can always hope. The loser/weak mentality of this squad needs weeded out which will require significant surgery

Edited by woodsaint1

9 hours ago, The Wanderer said:

Bella, Sulemana, Alcaraz,

I've said it before, but if these three don't stay then I hope they are only loaned out. It'd be nice to have them on the books if we bounce straight back to the Premier League and, even if we don't, them having another year of PL experience would only help their market value.

ABK would want to put himself in the frame for a spot at the Euros, so wouldn't want to be in the Championship next year. Sulemana and Alcaraz are recent additions I wouldn't want to sell unless we would make a profit on them; there's no need for a fire sale and even if there was they'd be the last players I'd want to see go cheap.

On 02/05/2023 at 18:53, ally_uk said:

I'd like to see us build around

Tella, Sulemana, Alcaraz, Livramento, Smallbone, Bazunu

Develop Doyle, Ballard 

Bring in a Def Mid with experience someone who doesn't mess about and can lead. 

Strikers Mara and try and keep Onuachu I reckon he could offer user something if willing to stay. 

If we can't keep Onuachu then Mara, Ballard and go and get another with a good record at this level. 

Keep Bednerek and Stephens and possibly Lyanco I reckon he could do a jog in champ and strengthen with another experienced defender.

I think that would be excellent but both Stephens and Lyanco see themselves as Premier League level players, even if some on here don't.

We missed the boat with Stephens, Bournemouth will likely buy him and if not a promoted team will. Lyanco will go back to Italy I suspect.

Larios will also no doubt feature, he is supposed to be as good as Lavia, we just haven't seen it.

Imagine SR got in Potter and told those on contracts we want to keep  they're staying, so deal with it. Now that would be sonething.

3 hours ago, macca155 said:

I think that would be excellent but both Stephens and Lyanco see themselves as Premier League level players, even if some on here don't.

We missed the boat with Stephens, Bournemouth will likely buy him and if not a promoted team will. Lyanco will go back to Italy I suspect.

Larios will also no doubt feature, he is supposed to be as good as Lavia, we just haven't seen it.

Imagine SR got in Potter and told those on contracts we want to keep  they're staying, so deal with it. Now that would be sonething.

He definitely hasnt been good enough during his time here to claim that we've missed the boat with him

• Like 1

3 hours ago, macca155 said:

Larios was the one Ralph was most excited about, by all accounts.

• Like 1

On 02/05/2023 at 11:08, Whitey Grandad said:

The out of contract Walcott?

That’s not a bad set of players. Everybody seems to overlook James Bree but from what I’ve seen he looks like he’s quite useful.

Championship full back of the year by all accounts.  Some of our fans need to wise up that a small number of “will never make it at top level” can be highly effective in championship.  By way of evidence m’lud I submit the following exhibits:  Kelvin, Butterfield, Richardson, Hooveldt,  Harding, Fox, Hammond, Guly and Sharp

Edited by Forester

12 hours ago, macca155 said:

Personally I'd rather sack off the vast majority and get a load of money in for them. We need a complete change of mindset and a lot of that will come from a totally different set of players with a new mentality. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Forester said:

Championship full back of the year by all accounts.  Some of our fans need to wise up that a small number of “will never make it at top level” can be highly effective in championship.  By way of evidence m’lud I submit the following exhibits:  Kelvin, Butterfield, Richardson, Hooveldt,  Harding, Fox, Hammond, Guly and Sharp

A year in the championship, hopefully winning plenty of games and building confidence can have a big impact on players too (even those deemed average). We proved during our promotion from the Championship what building a winning mentality can do. More recently, you just need to look at Fulham. They were hopeless when relegated two seasons ago but have returned this season with largely the same squad, but playing with alot more confidence/freedom. Marco Silva has been a big part of that. 

Hence why our choice of manager is the most crucial decision. We will retain some good players for Championship level, we will have plenty of money to spend given SR's reported intentions (plus parachute payments), but we need a good manager to help rebuild our identity/confidence. Get that appointment right and I'm confident we'll make a quick return 🤞🏼

• Like 1

If we are to believe the Athletic article, a possible team for next year would be this: 

Bazunu/ new experienced GK

Livramento/Bree Bednarek New CB New LB/Larios

New RM Smallbone/Alcaraz New CM Sulemana/Edozie

Armstrong/Walcott Onuachu/New striker 

Looking at that, I'd say we'd new decent players all over the pitch. A new GK ideally to compete with Bazunu, a solid championship CB, badly need a decent defensive midfielder and a pacy goalscorer up front. When it's laid out in black and white I'm less confident about the team. I'd make that five first team players required, probably 7 to have a few as backup. We could have as many as 18 leaving but I suspect the likes of Djenepo and and Diallo will be hard to get rid of so they might stay. I wonder if Joe Aribo will be given a chance too. It seems we are going to have a mass exodus at CB with ABK set to leave. Someone like Caleta Carr might stay though and I think he'd do a decent job in the championship if we could persuade him. 

JWP, Tella, Lavia and ABK leaving may give us close to 150 million. If you imagine we would keep some of that to make up for the drop in income, you'd hope we would have a decent sized war chest of about 100 million for those 7 signings. Lets hope we get the new manager in early and start our business as soon as possible. 

Edited by hypochondriac

12 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Jesus wept.

So you think that despite the fact that he's playing in a Prem team, and is wanted by ine or more Prem teams, Saints remain too good for him.

Now before you start I think we have better atm, and can do better but neither would I write him off.

So there

12 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Personally I'd rather sack off the vast majority and get a load of money in for them. We need a complete change of mindset and a lot of that will come from a totally different set of players with a new mentality. 

Can 't say I disagree bit try and keep some gems. They can't all be crap can they.

2 minutes ago, macca155 said:

Can 't say I disagree bit try and keep some gems. They can't all be crap can they.

There's a very small amount of players I think we could realistically keep that I would be disappointed to lose. Looking above the ones I'd want us to keep that are realistic are: 

Livramento 

Alcaraz 

Smallbone

Edozie 

That's about it! 

3 minutes ago, macca155 said:

We should offload most of the back line and rebuild from there. Not one of them is reliable enough to ensure solidity and confidence in defence. Then prioritise bringing in players that can hold the ball, have good game management and can pass accurately. 

3 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

We should offload most of the back line and rebuild from there. Not one of them is reliable enough to ensure solidity and confidence in defence. Then prioritise bringing in players that can hold the ball, have good game management and can pass accurately. 

I consider it likely we will be keeping Bree and Livramento and probably at least one of our centre backs (at this point probably Bednarek.) but I agree the rest of the defence will go. 

So it sounds like, at the very least, Tino and Alcaraz will be staying, which is a huge bonus as they’ll both PL players and would be fantastic in the championship (Tino injury aside) 

Sounds like Sulemana will be off on loan, which is a shame. I think a season in the championship would do him the world of good, to be honest. 

1 minute ago, Dman said:

So it sounds like, at the very least, Tino and Alcaraz will be staying, which is a huge bonus as they’ll both PL players and would be fantastic in the championship (Tino injury aside) 

Sounds like Sulemana will be off on loan, which is a shame. I think a season in the championship would do him the world of good, to be honest. 

I didn't really understand that bit of the article. Recruitment sources say he may go out on loan but then say how important he could be for us in the championship? Would it be due to wages? Would seem very odd to loan him out. 

7 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I didn't really understand that bit of the article. Recruitment sources say he may go out on loan but then say how important he could be for us in the championship? Would it be due to wages? Would seem very odd to loan him out. 

I know we’ll take a significant hit in terms of TV revenue, but surely we’ll be in a healthy position financially. 

Ship out, McCarthy, Orsic, JWP, Theo and there is the best part of 300k a week saved alone. 

You’d expect us to reduce the squad size some what as well. If we were sensible we would anyway. 

Edited by Dman