Who leaves if we are relegated?

stevy777_x

Leave to go to bigger clubs: JWP, KWP, ABK, Lavia, Sulemana, Alcaraz, Salisu

Leave to a club of similar stature as Saints: Bednarek, Onuachu, Elyounoussi, S Armstrong, Perraud

Leave in search of football: DCC, Orsic, AMN (loan expiry)

To Stay: Bazunu, McCarthy, Tino, (just because he is injured), Bree, Larios, Lyanco, Stephens, Diallo, Smallbone, A Armstrong, Mara, Aribo, Tella, Walcott, Ballard, Doyle, Dibling, Edozie 

What a crap side for championship, we re gonna have to reinforce the squad greatly with the money received for players above!

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Leave to a club of similar stature as Saints: Bednarek, Onuachu, Elyounoussi, S Armstrong, Perraud

To Stay: Bazunu, McCarthy, Tino, (just because he is injured), Bree, Larios, Lyanco, Stephens, Diallo, Smallbone, A Armstrong, Mara, Aribo, Tella, Walcott, Ballard, Doyle, Dibling, Edozie 

What a crap side for championship, we re gonna have to reinforce the squad greatly with the money received for players above!

Seen nothing from Sulemana to suggest a bigger club will want him. The Championship would probably benefit him as he has the tools to tear that league up. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

You say it’s crap but there’s a ‘spine’ to work with there if they are indeed here and players like Tella, Smallbone and Bree show their Championship credentials. 

• Like 2

Tella will push to leave for Burnley, thats obvious but at least we can now ask for £25m for him.

I think clubs will come in for Livramento even despite his injuries.

Diallo will surely go as only has a year left and obviously we won't offer him an extension.

We will bring in a shitload of cash but will also need to spend a fair bit if we are serious about going straight back up.

• Like 2

Why do people think we will sell all our best players? SR have said we'll be fine financially, we'll sell the players we are forced to sell (due to contract situations), and perhaps a couple like jwp/lavia where the player's stature effectivley dictates a move. Reckon we're looking at lavia, kwp, jwp, salisu of the players we'd want to keep. 

But most of our better/younger players are on long contracts - we won't just sell them all for knock down prices for the hell of it... 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

15 players will not be leaving us in the summer. I'd be surprised if it was double figures and thats including Walcott, Ely and Willy who are all out of contract

4 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

I cannot see any player that signed in January leaving, whether we want them to or not. The good players (like Alcaraz) just signed a contract when we were bottom of the league - they knew what they were getting into. The ones we want to get rid of (like Orsic) have just signed contracts on increased wages that nobody outside the PL would match... and they have so far proven to not be good enough at that level. The could be loaned out though in another Hoedt, Carrillo, Lemina etc situation.

I agree with some posters above that SR has cash to spend and that we are way under our FFP limit for years, so there is little incentive for SR to sell players at below market value when they have made it clear they want Saints to be a safe mid-table PL team.

Having said all that, my worthless speculation on who will leave:

Out of contract: Elyounoussi, Caballero, Walcott

1 year left on contract, will go to a lower-midtable PL level: Che and Salisu. Possibly JWP if he wants to be a starter every week.

Players that will go to a higher level: KWP, Lavia, ABK and JWP as mentioned above.

Players on loan that could leave: Stephens, Smallbone and Tella.

Wallcott and Caballero could stay in player/coach roles. Although not prolific, Adams is a good player that a team will want. S.Armstrong will be 31 next season, has had injury issues and cannot play 90 minutes anymore - no-one will want him. Bednarek just sat on the bench at Villa, so I would be surprised if another PL team wants him, but I do think he would be a good squad player for most sides. I don't think Perraud has looked good enough in the PL to be getting attention to be honest, has a nice cross but I think he has struggled.

The players we have loaned out will be interesting. Tella has been excellent in the Championship and scored a lot of goals. Logically the club should try and keep him if we are playing in the Championship. Smallbone and Stephens will both only have 1 year left on their deals. Smallbone would make sense to keep in a midfield that lacks creativity and Stephens' good ability on the ball would be more useful in a league where we would have a lot of it.

Obviously this isn't mentioning the players that the club might want to leave. They have been vocal about the squad being too large and we have some good players coming through the academy.

Lyanco, Djenepo, Diallo all will only have 1 or 2 years left on their deals. I think all 3 of them could leave for another league in search of regular game time as it looks unlikely that they will get it with us in the Championship.

I think our biggest issue won't be getting a good squad (we are battling hard in the Prem with a novice manager - we have a very good squad for Champ level), but will be getting rid of the deadwood.

14 hours ago, Dusic said:

Tella will push to leave for Burnley, thats obvious but at least we can now ask for £25m for him.

I think clubs will come in for Livramento even despite his injuries.

Diallo will surely go as only has a year left and obviously we won't offer him an extension.

We will bring in a shitload of cash but will also need to spend a fair bit if we are serious about going straight back up.

Burnley currently have a transfer embargo, but apparently it's only for late filing of accounts and they seem adamant it will be lifted soon.

16 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

Hilarious. 

If we had 7 players good enough to play for a bigger club we would not be bottom of the premier league. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SW5 SAINT said:

Perhaps we should demand a transfer fee for the supporters that want to leave…..!

The board has spent most money on stadium improvements in the hospitality areas, which is their comfort zone, and those ‘customers’ won’t be paying as much as the club asks for in the lower leagues. They’ll probably leave. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bolokov said:

As awful as our team is.. I actually think we'll end up with a decent championship team 'on paper'. The problem will be confidence and finding a winning mentality.

Unfortunately the good team we have on paper is 20th out of 20 teams at the moment. A good team on toilet paper. 

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Bolokov said:

As awful as our team is.. I actually think we'll end up with a decent championship team 'on paper'. The problem will be confidence and finding a winning mentality.

Where’s the goals coming from? Where are the killer passes coming from? We don’t do it now so not sure we will. 

I’d say based on takers JWP, KWP, Lavia and because of that and contract Salisu for £15-20m and Moi on a free. ABK has had the odd decent game but made of glass and young for a CB. Season in the Champ would add to his strength and stamina. Alacaraz might join the wanted list if he carries on his recent progress. Outside of that, they are pretty much unproven and the Champ would be around their level. Adams might get a gig as a back up at another PL club fighting the drop but he’s been poor this season. And still the club’s best forward. 

It’s all academic though unless the club get either a name manager who can use the loan market and brings the squad together as a cohesive unit al a Hoddle or Ronald, or an experienced figure at that level who can identify rapidly what’s need for a top 2 campaign to hit the ground running in August. No more funky, hipster or left field appointments (although Jones is as unhipster as it gets). 

2 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

JWP, Lavia, KWP and probably Stu.

Stu will go regardless but the other three are the only ones that have justified any kind of "big move". At a push Salisu but he's been more competent than outstanding.

ABK will be gone, and will Salisu

Just now, AlexLaw76 said:

I haven't seen anything from ABK that warrants a move, especially a year into his contract. Some very good games early on but since his recurring injuries he's been average. 6/10 at best.

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

I haven't seen anything from ABK that warrants a move, especially a year into his contract. Some very good games early on but since his recurring injuries he's been average. 6/10 at best.

He openly admitted he was here for 2 years when he joined, and after being picked for the World Cup, I am sure a move back to Germany will happen...

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

He openly admitted he was here for 2 years when he joined, and after being picked for the World Cup, I am sure a move back to Germany will happen...

I know but it's not been two years yet. I don't remember him saying that but if he did - Fair play for his honesty.

I think he'll be here next season regardless of what league we're in.

3 hours ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Where’s the goals coming from? Where are the killer passes coming from? We don’t do it now so not sure we will. 

'on paper' tho. Clearly a big difference to reality. With a bit of quality coaching and confidence from stringing a few results together, I think there may be something there. Bear in mind we're not talking premier league here tho!

On 18/03/2023 at 14:51, AlexLaw76 said:

Yeah agreed. 

A CB partnership of Bednerak / Stephens in the championship doesn’t strike fear into me though. Pretty decent at the level, if we’re being honest. 

The way I see it, I think we could probably keep a decent squad for that level. 

Those we definitely won’t be able to keep; 

Salisu, KWP, Lavia 

Those we probably won’t be able to keep; 

JWP, ABK, Alcaraz

wouldn’t be surprised to see go;

S Armstrong, Che, Orsic, Sulemana, DCC, McCarthy, Moi.

Which would leave us something like this; 

Bazunu 

Tino / Bree 

Bednerak 

Stephens 

Perraud

Diallo 

??

Edozie 

Smallbone 

Tella 

Big Paul / AA?

That isn’t a team that needs significant investment to be a top side in the championship, imo. 

• Haha 1

Was just trying to work this out. I know the cards are in our hands when a player has a contract but this is just IMO. Also it looks as if we're culling our double-barrelled name quota.

JWP - I know some people think he'll be loyal but he's just too good and I can see Spurs or someone from London wanting him.

KWP - same reason, too good for the Championship and he'll have his suitors.

DCC - Croatian International, 26 so still young, pretty decent. Someone will want him and he seems out of favour here ALTHOUGH personally I'd like to keep him for the Championship as I think ABK and Salisu are gonners too and he could be our new Hooiveld. Only probably better.

ABK - Too good for the Championship. Does have injury issues though so this could go either way but I think someone will take a punt on him as he was also good at Bochum and is now a German International.

Salisu - Ghanaian International at the World Cup, potential, not perfect but still only 23, contract running out, he's gone.

Lavia - No brainer this one. Much as I'd love to see him in the Championship keeping up his playing time (which would be our only chance to keep him - him deciding to stay to keep playing first team football, or possibly sell him with a loan back for a season) he's gone.

Sulemana - I'm not sure why anyone would really want anybody from our attacking department but I do think Kamaldeen with his International experience, WC pedigree, speed and youth would want to look for football higher up somewhere else.

Adams - Again hardly prolific but a Scottish International that gets a few goals and is a good passer of the ball will tickle someone's fancy lower down the Premier League echelons. But again, like DCC he's one I'd like to see us keep hold of as I think he'd lead our ascent back up to the Prem.

AMN - End of loan, I can't see a world in which we'd sign him permanently although it is not completely beyond the realms of possibility. Depends if someone in the Prem wants him or whether we could even afford him. I can't see it.

WALCOTT/CABALLERO - retirement.

That's about it - there are players that are possibles, like Edozie or Bazunu if someone sees the potential we did but I think they'll stay for more regular football. Of course you also have those players that will want to leave because they don't want to play Championship football - maybe Orsic, Onuachu? But at 30 and nearly 29 I reckon they'll stay. Alcaraz (as I posted on another thread) I just have a good feeling he'll stay. Not sure why. Walcott and Caballero will retire. 

Ergo the squad would look something like (pre-signings):

GK: Bazunu, McCarthy, Lis

RB: Tino, Bree

LB: Perraud, Larios

CB: Lyanco, Bednarek, Stephens

CM: Alcaraz, Diallo, Smallbone

AM: Edozie, Moi, Stu, Aribo, Orsic, Djenepo,

STR: AdamA, Tella, Mara, Onuachu.

...And a handful of youth. I really don't think that looks too bad if I'm anywhere near accurate. Of course you could have other players that I've had staying as leaving and vice versa but this is all IMO. Some parts need strengthening, RB if Tino isn't fit, CB for definite, CM for definite but the rest should have enough quality to put in a good season.

Edited by SNSUN

JWP has effectively been ruled out of the England squad for the foreseeable.....for Southgate to come out and say that he might have to look in the Championship for some positions is an insult to players like Tomori, March, JWP etc etc who could quite easily play in that England side.

This may mean that he'll give us a year or so in the Championship to help us get back up. He's also very settled here - yes, might be clutching at straws but it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

Can't see him going to a top 4 club and being a regular starter, and so is he likely to get into a team with European football? 

I'm rambling now....makes more sense in my head than written down....

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Charlie Mealings said:

Everyone I've spoken to is convinced we are gonna lose Lavia this summer. I wrote about why I'm not so sure - there's not a clear business case or a contractual obligation, so I don't think it's a done deal. If you have five minutes:

https://cmealings.substack.com/p/why-we-just-might-keep-lavia-this

SR will sell this summer mate .. they won’t wana sell back to city for 40m 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Charlie Mealings said:

Everyone I've spoken to is convinced we are gonna lose Lavia this summer. I wrote about why I'm not so sure - there's not a clear business case or a contractual obligation, so I don't think it's a done deal. If you have five minutes:

https://cmealings.substack.com/p/why-we-just-might-keep-lavia-this

Good sensible reasd. One question, if City have a buy back clause, only effective in (or from?) 2024, if we sold him this summer would that clause not then also go with his contract and impact on the buying club?  If so no-one is likely to pay more than than the £40m they might have to let him go for a year later.

Actually 2 questions. Does a buy back clause mean if City offer £40m in 2024  we have to accept it? Or does it mean if we choose to sell him they have to be given first dibs for £40m?

Edited by Wurzel

57 minutes ago, Chez said:

This is what the buy back clause usually means. 

I think that only kicks in from 2024 - might be wrong, but I'm sure I've read that (or is that when it expires??) 

But if it only kicks in from 2024 then they'd have to pay the going rate, which will be £50m plus imo.

20 hours ago, Archers Road Stand said:

Good. The atmosphere might improve at St. Mary's once we lose the attendees who only turn up to watch Premier League football. 

Already looking forward to all the excuses i'm going to hear from some "massive fans" as to why they aren't renewing.....like last time.

Some people are being ridiculous saying we will lose ten or more players. We will lose about 5 of the players we would want to keep which will probably be jwp, Lavia, KWP, Salisu and Adams. 

We will maybe lose a couple more from the likes of Tella, Alcaraz, Sulemana, ABK and DCC. Everyone else will stay 

26 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Some people are being ridiculous saying we will lose ten or more players. We will lose about 5 of the players we would want to keep which will probably be jwp, Lavia, KWP, Salisu and Adams. 

We will maybe lose a couple more from the likes of Tella, Alcaraz, Sulemana, ABK and DCC. Everyone else will stay 

all be pointless/worthwhile if we keep selles or appoint another dafty like Mad Nate

2 hours ago, Chez said:

This is what the buy back clause usually means. 

Yep you're right, having googled a bit the second part of my question

Actually 2 questions. Does a buy back clause mean if City offer £40m in 2024  we have to accept it? Or does it mean if we choose to sell him they have to be given first dibs for £40m?

is called a first refusal clause. 

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

In other words we will lose all the decent ones.

The other sad thing is that all those young players coming through who have promise will be moving as well

On 17/03/2023 at 18:00, stevy777_x said:

Why on earth would DCC and Orsic leave 'in search of football'?  They are on multi year contracts with us on wages they will never again match at any other club.  

Like Boufal, Lemina, Carillo and Hoedt what will happen is that they will be loaned out (with us paying most, if not all, of their wages) until their contracts expire.

Edited by once_bitterne
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, OldNick said:

In other words we will lose all the decent ones.

The other sad thing is that all those young players coming through who have promise will be moving as well

No we will keep some players who would be pretty good I the championship. If I had to guess I think we will be able to keep for at least a season: 

Alcaraz 

Sulemana 

Bella Kotchap 

Smallbone 

Livramento 

Edozie 

Add the likes of Armstrong, Bree, Perraud, Stephens and we have the basis for a half decent championship team. I'd expect us to bring in some pace and strength in attacking areas, strengthen the middle and maybe one defender but we would be well set. 

28 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

No we will keep some players who would be pretty good I the championship. If I had to guess I think we will be able to keep for at least a season: 

Alcaraz 

Sulemana 

Bella Kotchap 

Smallbone 

Livramento 

Edozie 

Add the likes of Armstrong, Bree, Perraud, Stephens and we have the basis for a half decent championship team. I'd expect us to bring in some pace and strength in attacking areas, strengthen the middle and maybe one defender but we would be well set. 

Sulemana and Alcaraz are not going to stay

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I think that only kicks in from 2024 - might be wrong, but I'm sure I've read that (or is that when it expires??) 

But if it only kicks in from 2024 then they'd have to pay the going rate, which will be £50m plus imo.

I know he's a talent, and there have been some crazy prices for players over the last year or so, but keep in my mind that the other Prem sides know exactly what relegation means financially, and that puts buying clubs well and truly in the driving seat. You may recall that last time we were relegated that Lowe did everything possible to paint a picture of sound finances, which helped strengthen his position when negotiating a price for Crouch. However, he admitted afterwards, that we absolutely desperate for those millions and without them we'd have been in absolute dire straights. Since then, several clubs have almost gone to the wall due to carrying monster prem wages in the lower leagues. Chairman can't pull the wool over the eyes over the rival chairman anymore.